Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Well yeah, it's a collectors edition they're never worth the price

"Collector's Editions only go up in value!"

- me, standing in front of Collector's Editions of Watch_Dogs at Best Buy which aren't moving despite being like $20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Blackfyre posted:

I couldn't help myself and preordered the Ultimate Collectors edition but I am very unsure. Feel like it might be a huge mistake and the stuff inside isn't that great for the price....?

Worst case scenario is that you can probably get some of your money back by selling that extra stuff on ebay. Maybe even all of it.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Quick questions about the XIII series now that I'm duly hyped for XV.

XIII-1 had its moments but was a slog at times too. Never tried XIII-2 or XIII-3. Don't own the first anymore, endgame save may be gone too (console stolen years ago, unsure if I had backed up anything). I googled a few things but I'm a bit unclear on some stuff:

1) There's no true benefit having a -1 save before playing -2, or a -2 save before -3 right? No importing saves for worthwhile extra features sort of thing?

2) No collection of the three games was ever officially announced for either PS3 or PS4? Nothing which would approach the X/X-2 HD re-release?

3) The MGS series has a promotion going on right now via the PSN store. I suppose that would be the "ideal" way to play the games, i.e. wait for deals and grab what I want, unless I decide to wait a few years and see if a re-master comes along?

Thanks!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

You get garbs and weapons in -3 for having -1 and -2 saves but nothing remotely necessary.

There's no anthology, no.

I doubt a remaster will come any time soon but really there's no reason to ever not wait for a sale for anything you're not getting the moment it comes out. Steam sales aren't too rare, if you're open to PC (-3 especially is actually a good port).

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Liked the demo. Will say, FF12 had a pretty lackluster demo and turned out to be a great game, and we're definitely only seeing a fraction of the combat system in place here. I think there's a great framework here for something neat, if that Iron Giant fight is any indication.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Florence and the Machine singing Stand By Me while Final Fantasy Prelude arpeggios play in the background that you can listen to in your Final Fantasy Audi, all bankrolled by Square Enix. Even in fever dreams I would never have imagined that which has become reality. This is amazing and I'm feeling the hype.

I'm unreasonably hyped for this all of a sudden. I had no idea I could be excited for a Final Fantasy game again but everything about this is so bonkers that I can't avoid loving everything about it.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Liked the demo. Will say, FF12 had a pretty lackluster demo and turned out to be a great game, and we're definitely only seeing a fraction of the combat system in place here. I think there's a great framework here for something neat, if that Iron Giant fight is any indication.

Is the demo on the PSN store? I'm itching to try it out when I get home.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yup, under the Games tab.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I liked the demo quite a bit. I don't have anything to compare it to since I didn't play the previous demo but it felt solid. Definitely shares some DNA with Kingdom Hearts. I didn't quite understand some of the intricacies of combat, mostly Warp strike, but the boss wasn't too much trouble.

I just wish a PC version was coming 9/30.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Levantine posted:

Gosh, that's a pretty harsh rating just for lacking a PC port.

Who rates things out of 30 anyway, geez?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

AlphaKretin posted:

Gosh, that's a pretty harsh rating just for lacking a PC port.

Who rates things out of 30 anyway, geez?

You think that's weird my one friend in Europe is apparently giving the game a 30 out of 9.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
trying out the demo now, and having carbuncle communicate via texts and emojis is a pretty cool idea that will also likely enrage old people for no good reason

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

trying out the demo now, and having carbuncle communicate via texts and emojis is a pretty cool idea that will also likely enrage old people for no good reason

It's cute but one or two of them aren't very well thought out or fail to get the point across.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Ahahahahaha, what the gently caress SE.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Xavier434 posted:

Worst case scenario is that you can probably get some of your money back by selling that extra stuff on ebay. Maybe even all of it.

I would buy the art book. Not any of the other stuff though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Comes with the OST, huh. And a special episode of this anime? And the KH person is doing the music for this game?

Eh, I'll pass. I'm sure the music will be good and all but not worth an extra...$150? Something like that.

Watch, though. This exclusive episode will have special bonus story materials so when XV-2 comes out and none of it makes any sense to the people who played XV, they can say "actually, it was all foreshadowed in BROTHERHOOD Episode 6!"

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Brotherhood had a really nice looking anime burger so it is already my top anime of the season.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The GIG posted:

Brotherhood had a really nice looking anime burger so it is already my top anime of the season.

Noct takes off the tomatoes and lettuce from his burger, I can identify with him.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Levantine posted:

I liked the demo quite a bit. I don't have anything to compare it to since I didn't play the previous demo but it felt solid. Definitely shares some DNA with Kingdom Hearts. I didn't quite understand some of the intricacies of combat, mostly Warp strike, but the boss wasn't too much trouble.

The Iron Giant is very aggressive, warp strikes let you get to a safe spot and then counter attack. Hitting him with a warp strike seems to have some staggering effect, boosting your next few hits of damage. I think holding down the attack buttons is actually slightly faster than tapping them individually.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Leal posted:

Noct takes off the tomatoes and lettuce from his burger, I can identify with him.

This is the kind of ridiculously minor character quirk that is totally up my alley.
Also Iggy and Gladio arguing over that is pretty funny, they're like Noctis's mom and dad or something.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So, has all this stuff bumped FFXV to the top of your "Interested" list as far as S-E titles go?

Someone asked a while ago if people were more excited for XV or VIIR so I'm wondering if XV has taken the lead there?

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Leal posted:

The question, though, is whether or not you proceed to eat them after you've taken them off. I don't particularly care for tomatoes and usually remove them from a burger, but they're a good source of lycopene.

But I agree with Augus it's little moments like this that help me identify more with the characters as people. RPGs have a tendency to ruin moments like this by their nature, since it's hard to keep up with those kinds of traits over the course of a 50+ hour game. Hopefully XV manages to keep them feeling real.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man the hair in this game looks awful. Like they clearly spent ages on really impressive hair and then realised that it needed to be massively scaled back to run properly on consoles.

Plentiful jaggies too. If this demo's done anything it's made me want to hold out for a PC version. Also the demo didn't mention that it's possible to warp around in combat and I didn't work it out until literally the last second of the boss fight.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Noct putting the veggies on someone else's tray is the most childish thing and it's so good.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

Also the demo didn't mention that it's possible to warp around in combat and I didn't work it out until literally the last second of the boss fight.

It's just continuing the grand tradition of Japanese games never explaining fundamental aspects of the combat system.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Someone asked a while ago if people were more excited for XV or VIIR so I'm wondering if XV has taken the lead there?

Well, it's coming out in a few months. FF7R is still nebulous.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

The GIG posted:

Noct putting the veggies on someone else's tray is the most childish thing and it's so good.

Is this in the demo or a trailer? I haven't done the demo yet but I've watched the trailers I've found and I didn't see it

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

bilperkins2 posted:

Is this in the demo or a trailer? I haven't done the demo yet but I've watched the trailers I've found and I didn't see it

It's in the first episode of the prequel anime they just released.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

kalensc posted:

Quick questions about the XIII series now that I'm duly hyped for XV.

XIII-1 had its moments but was a slog at times too. Never tried XIII-2 or XIII-3. Don't own the first anymore, endgame save may be gone too (console stolen years ago, unsure if I had backed up anything). I googled a few things but I'm a bit unclear on some stuff:

1) There's no true benefit having a -1 save before playing -2, or a -2 save before -3 right? No importing saves for worthwhile extra features sort of thing?

2) No collection of the three games was ever officially announced for either PS3 or PS4? Nothing which would approach the X/X-2 HD re-release?

3) The MGS series has a promotion going on right now via the PSN store. I suppose that would be the "ideal" way to play the games, i.e. wait for deals and grab what I want, unless I decide to wait a few years and see if a re-master comes along?

Thanks!

Lightning Returns gives you Lightning's main outfits from 1 and 2 if you have saves from those games. otherwise there's nothing. And there's no way an anthology of all three would even fit on a bluray so don't get your hopes up with that either. I guess since there's pc ports a ps4 port eventually isn't impossible, but they haven't announced anything about that.

Assuming you wanna play on console, well nobody really wants used copies of any of the ff13 games so if you buy used you can get them really cheap. but i cant in good faith recommend any except the third one, and even that one has people who hate it...

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

XIII-2 is a great game. It's basically the anti-XIII as it's all about exploration and whackiness. Far as I'm concerned, it does side content head and shoulders better than any of the other games.

I can also say that it has the best soundtrack in the trilogy. That is a lot closer, though. They're all really good but XIII-2 has such an awesome mix of styles. Like the story itself, the OST is very schizo.

So yes, I'd recommend that. You can get it used for cheap very easily as I did.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

The GIG posted:

It's in the first episode of the prequel anime they just released.

Ah that's why I missed it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

NikkolasKing posted:

So, has all this stuff bumped FFXV to the top of your "Interested" list as far as S-E titles go?

Personally, an open-world Final Fantasy game where you drive around in a loving car and dick around with the usual FF poo poo sounds loving great for me, but I'm still hesitant for a few reasons.

1. No PC port announced yet. It's inevitable, but since I'm not getting a PS4/XB1 there's no point in me getting hyped until the PC version is finally confirmed.

2. Games that have been in development as long as FF15 tend to be on the terrible side. Hell, SE's longer-developed games like FF13 tend to be their weaker attempts as well. I get the "it's only REALLY been in development for the past couple years since Nomura can't manage a project worth poo poo" sentiment, but the same could be said for Duke Nukem Forever and look how terrible that was.

3. Between the movie and the anime, it feels like they're making the same loving mistake of trying to build an entire loving "world" out of one to several video games, and it never loving works the way they want it. Fabula Novalis Crystalis or whatever the gently caress fell apart, World of Mana went nowhere, and the FF7 EU stuff ended up being underwhelming. I don't know why they keep trying this strategy over and over, and I really don't think investing in a movie and anime is a good use of resources and won't build hype for the game compared to traditional marketing or smaller projects.

4. FF13 was hyped as well and ended up being kinda "meh" with most people, and FF14 1.0 ended up a literal catastrophe. The Square-based projects people ended up digging into were the FF14 relaunch and side-projects like Theatrhythm, Lightning Returns, and Bravely Default. Just based on history alone there's reason to be hesitant about 15.

It could be great and I'll gladly buy it on Steam if that happens, but it's also likely it'll have severe frame rate issues, a world not nearly as big as expected, a lot of goofy-rear end Bethesda-style bugs, and a story that ends up falling flat with characters who don't end up developed as much as you'd hope. SE's whole approach to building FF15 hype seems even more ridiculous to me than their usual antics, and I'm wondering if they're in total "gently caress IT" mode and gambling everything for a much-needed hit. I can respect and admire that, and at least the lead-up to nine-thirtieths should be entertaining in seeing what SE does next, but I'm still cautious that the game isn't going to be as great as everyone wants it to be because games rarely do live up to the hype.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
PC version isn't even in the pipe yet according to this interview: http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/30/final-fantasy-xv-release-date-anime-movie-pc/

quote:

"Unfortunately we weren't able to do simultaneous development on a PC and console version for XV," he said. "We had to focus on the console version and our goal was to maximize, optimize everything for the HD consoles. Once that's done, then we will definitely take a good, hard look at PC and what we need to do, and consider all our options. But right now we aren't decided, we're still considering a lot of things."

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i would like to get a ps4 at some point and if i do i guess i'll buy ff15 but not as my first game

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

corn in the bible posted:

i would like to get a ps4 at some point and if i do i guess i'll buy ff15 but not as my first game

That should be Bloodborne imo. But FFXV will hopefully be cool too

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Can I see those mountains and walk to them in XV?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Pablo Gigante posted:

That should be Bloodborne imo. But FFXV will hopefully be cool too

actually it would be atelier sophie

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

actually it would be atelier sophie

Hell yeah.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
I just played this demo thing and I hope to god you can remap the buttons cuz having attack and defend mapped to the same finger you move the camera with is insanely dumb and makes the game really unfun and annoying to play

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I can barely pay attention to this anime because of Gladiolus' sexy baritone and distracting as hell abs.

Even if the game ends up sucking I want it if only for the eye candy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

corn in the fridge posted:

I just played this demo thing and I hope to god you can remap the buttons cuz having attack and defend mapped to the same finger you move the camera with is insanely dumb and makes the game really unfun and annoying to play

Master the Claw imo.