Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I think after the dust settles in November and we have 4 or 8 years of President Hillary Clinton to look forward too, the GOP will do their usual autopsy and put forth a serious proposal to changing the first-past-the-post primary to an alternate vote, which may have prevented a Trump nomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

The Nastier Nate posted:

I think after the dust settles in November and we have 4 or 8 years of President Hillary Clinton to look forward too, the GOP will do their usual autopsy and put forth a serious proposal to changing the first-past-the-post primary to an alternate vote, which may have prevented a Trump nomination.

Or they go the superdelegate route like Dems did after McGovern.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
I could possibly see Trump telling his supporters to vote Hillary just for A) Hillary having to cringingly accept trumps faux-endorsement and B) jamming the knife a little deeper in the GOP

but he probably has more devious things in mind if he tanks

like using eminent domain to buy up every GOP senator's house and bulldozing it for the new Trump Superhighway

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Fidel Castronaut posted:

If he loses the nomination in July, he will declare himself the winner, the GOP the loser, and say "See, I told you so!" in November when Cruz (or whoever) loses. Running third party would lessen that "told you so" and he knows he would lose so maybe he doesn't run third-party?

on the other hand, running third party guarantees him 5 months of free media, even if its a fool's errand.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Xenophon posted:

To repeat: the standard conservative line is that women who get abortions are "victims" and deserve our sympathy; the doctors are the ones who should be punished for the crime. It's illogical as gently caress but it's how they reconcile their abhorrent position with the fact that so many women get abortions.

Alter Ego posted:

There's outrage because Trump didn't do it the way anti-choice candidates are "supposed" to do it--usually they couch the language in softer rhetoric and spend most of their time talking about how "every life is sacred" and how wonderful and beautiful pregnancy is and how it's a gift that shouldn't be squandered and blah blah blah wark wark fap fap.

Trump didn't do that. He took the conservative position to its logical conclusion--that women who have abortions should be punished--and he made the mistake of saying it out loud, which prevents the media from going "Well, maybe he really meant X but he just phrased it poorly".

What it actually shows is what most people have been pointing out since this blew up - Trump really has no clue about *any* issues, foreign or domestic, really does not give *one single gently caress* that he doesn't have a clue about any issues, and this is obvious whenever someone gets him outside of his staged comfort zones where he can talk about how great and smart he is. (see: the interviews last week with the New York Times and especially the Washington Post, the transcript of which should disqualify him from driving heavy machinery much less running for high office). He's Sarah Palin with more confidence, less grounding on domestic issues (they're both equally clueless on foreign policy), and less command of the English language.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Lum_ posted:

What it actually shows is what most people have been pointing out since this blew up - Trump really has no clue about *any* issues, foreign or domestic, really does not give *one single gently caress* that he doesn't have a clue about any issues, and this is obvious whenever someone gets him outside of his staged comfort zones where he can talk about how great and smart he is.

But he tells it like it iiiiiiiiiis :swoon:

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 31, 2016

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Alter Ego posted:

Or they go the superdelegate route like Dems did after McGovern.

Whatever they do, the only sure thing is it's guaranteed to backfire on them in 2020.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

But he tells it like it iiiiiiiiiis :swoon:

yeah cognitive degeneration tends to remove ones filters

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Trump/Palin 2016: Word Salad for President

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Modern politics is amazing. How long has it been now since we have been able to basically look up and play back every single thing a candidate has done? It wont get better, from now on, they not only have to contend with everything they said that made the papers or on TV recently, but everything they have ever said or supported since the birth of you-tube. Research is so loving easy now.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

The Nastier Nate posted:

Whatever they do, the only sure thing is it's guaranteed to backfire on them in 2020.

If they continue to use the Southern Strategy to court the base, it most certainly will. They're thanking God that Democratic party members are lazy and only get off the couch once every 4 years because if that ever changed....man...it would be like what happened in 2010 but in reverse. Way in reverse.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

quote:

Trump is probably aware of Nietzsche’s admonition to beware that “when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster.”

(citation needed)

quote:

The problem is we have the Geneva Conventions, all sorts of rules and regulations, so the soldiers are afraid to fight. We can’t waterboard, but they can chop off heads. I think we’ve got to make some changes, some adjustments.

Oh. Well, then.

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan
I can't believe how excited I am about the Jeb campaign!

H5N1 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 18, 2016

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

H5N1 posted:

Let's dispel with this fiction that America isn't buckling up. America is buckling up...for Kasich!!!

It continues to amuse me that John Kasich thinks that he will be the nominee at a brokered convention. There'd be fewer riots if they handed it to Romney or Ryan.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The worst thing about Cruz in a general election would be watching him make that hideous, toothy, "poo poo I'm hosed" grin he does when someone is owning the gently caress out of him. He would be doing that during the entire debate.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

it physically hurts to be cruz

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

It continues to amuse me that John Kasich thinks that he will be the nominee at a brokered convention. There'd be fewer riots if they handed it to Romney or Ryan.

i think i might hate Kasich more than Cruz or Trump at this point, just for his jeepers gee willickers approach to being evil. gawrsh maybe if you folks decide to backstab the frontrunner in a fit of panic, well shucks just think of lil ol me when youre trying to decide where to put that dang ol nomination.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I'm torn between :getin: and :barf:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Butter golems don't feel pain.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

i think i might hate Kasich more than Cruz or Trump at this point, just for his jeepers gee willickers approach to being evil. gawrsh maybe if you folks decide to backstab the frontrunner in a fit of panic, well shucks just think of lil ol me when youre trying to decide where to put that dang ol nomination.

Holy poo poo

The three Republican candidates are Donald Duck (Trump), Goofy (Kasich), and Evangelical Mickey (Cruz).

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

blue squares posted:

The worst thing about Cruz in a general election would be watching him make that hideous, toothy, "poo poo I'm hosed" grin he does when someone is owning the gently caress out of him. He would be doing that during the entire debate.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Mr. Pumroy posted:

hey ted does your face hurt

cuz its killing me

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

hey ted does your face hurt

cuz its killing me

you are cruzin for a bruisin' gosh darnit

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Meanwhile, in Canada...

https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/715559141016801280

Still waiting for Trump's take on gay marriage, gays in the military, and gays as abortion doctors.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i love the gays. this suit? made by a gay. great work, lookit this hem. amazing.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

His entire argument is "No Republican wins without Ohio!" :downs:

No Republican wins without Florida either and your rear end got CRUSHED there, John.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

No Republican wins without Florida either and your rear end got CRUSHED there, John.

Actually, Marco was the one accused of getting his rear end crushed in Florida.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

i love the gays. this suit? made by a gay. great work, lookit this hem. amazing.

I had to slap him around a little after he did my inseam, but I tipped him well. Always been kind to the gays

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

The Nastier Nate posted:

while we're at it lets get rid of FPTP altogether tia

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
TAPPER: Mr Trump, on the topic of religious liberty, should businesses be able to refuse service to homosexual individuals?

TRUMP: I don't follow.

TAPPER: Well, taking the infamous wedding cake example, should a Christian owner of a bakery be able to decline to bake a cake for a homosexual couple on the basis of religious-

TRUMP: What the gently caress, what kinda business is gonna say 'no dont give me your money'?

TAPPER: Some people feel that there is a moral moral impetus-

TRUMP: The hell are you doing running a business if you give a poo poo about moral- *squints at something off camera* er, what i meant to say is, I've always been a huge Christian. Love that Jesus. He's great. And when I'm president no one will have to make any cakes they don't want to.

gregday
May 23, 2003

TAPPER: Mr Trump, on the topic of religious liberty, should businesses be able to refuse service to homosexual individuals?

TRUMP: I don't follow.

TAPPER: Well, taking the infamous wedding cake example, should a Christian owner of a bakery be able to decline to bake a cake for a homosexual couple on the basis of religious-

TRUMP: What the gently caress, what kinda business is gonna say 'no dont give me your money'?

TAPPER: Some people feel that there is a moral moral impetus-

TRUMP: The hell are you doing running a business if you give a poo poo about moral- *squints at something off camera* er, what i meant to say is, I've always been a huge Christian. Love that Jesus. He's great. And when I'm president no one will have to make any cakes they don't want to.

https://twitter.com/gregorykorte/status/702232192664133632

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

This guy Job, totally weak! So low energy, all he does is complain!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

No Mans Land posted:

Forced abortion is actually what a fascist prison guard or slavemaster would do as punishment, if you actually thought about it for more than 5 seconds.

Actually, slavemasters wanted children to be born, because they were free slaves. Look up the practice of birth control that slaves would try in pre Civil War America.
Also: the law would force it to come to term too:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/08/opinion/pregnant-and-no-civil-rights.html?_r=0

quote:

Pregnant, and No Civil Rights
By LYNN M. PALTROW and JEANNE FLAVINNOV. 7, 2014
Continue reading the main storyShare This Page
WITH the success of Republicans in the midterm elections and the passage of Tennessee’s anti-abortion amendment, we can expect ongoing efforts to ban abortion and advance the “personhood” rights of fertilized eggs, embryos and fetuses.

But it is not just those who support abortion rights who have reason to worry. Anti-abortion measures pose a risk to all pregnant women, including those who want to be pregnant.

Such laws are increasingly being used as the basis for arresting women who have no intention of ending a pregnancy and for preventing women from making their own decisions about how they will give birth.

How does this play out? Based on the belief that he had an obligation to give a fetus a chance for life, a judge in Washington, D.C., ordered a critically ill 27-year-old woman who was 26 weeks pregnant to undergo a cesarean section, which he understood might kill her. Neither the woman nor her baby survived.

In Iowa, a pregnant woman who fell down a flight of stairs was reported to the police after seeking help at a hospital. She was arrested for “attempted fetal homicide.”

In Utah, a woman gave birth to twins; one was stillborn. Health care providers believed that the stillbirth was the result of the woman’s decision to delay having a cesarean. She was arrested on charges of fetal homicide.

In Louisiana, a woman who went to the hospital for unexplained vaginal bleeding was locked up for over a year on charges of second-degree murder before medical records revealed she had suffered a miscarriage at 11 to 15 weeks of pregnancy.

Florida has had a number of such cases. In one, a woman was held prisoner at a hospital to prevent her from going home while she appeared to be experiencing a miscarriage. She was forced to undergo a cesarean. Neither the detention nor the surgery prevented the pregnancy loss, but they did keep this mother from caring for her two small children at home. While a state court later found the detention unlawful, the opinion suggested that if the hospital had taken her prisoner later in her pregnancy, its actions might have been permissible.

In another case, a woman who had been in labor at home was picked up by a sheriff, strapped down in the back of an ambulance, taken to a hospital, and forced to have a cesarean she did not want. When this mother later protested what had happened, a court concluded that the woman’s personal constitutional rights “clearly did not outweigh the interests of the State of Florida in preserving the life of the unborn child.”

Anti-abortion reasoning has also provided the justification for arresting pregnant women who experience depression and have attempted suicide. A 22-year-old in South Carolina who was eight months pregnant attempted suicide by jumping out a window. She survived despite suffering severe injuries. Because she lost the pregnancy, she was arrested and jailed for the crime of homicide by child abuse.

These are not isolated or rare cases. Last year, we published a peer-reviewed study documenting 413 arrests or equivalent actions depriving pregnant women of their physical liberty during the 32 years between 1973, when Roe v. Wade was decided, and 2005. In a majority of these cases, women who had no intention of ending a pregnancy went to term and gave birth to a healthy baby. This includes the many cases where the pregnant woman was alleged to have used some amount of alcohol or a criminalized drug.

Since 2005, we have identified an additional 380 cases, with more arrests occurring every week. This significant increase coincides with what the Guttmacher Institute describes as a “seismic shift” in the number of states with laws hostile to abortion rights.

The principle at the heart of contemporary efforts to end legal abortion is that fertilized eggs, embryos and fetuses are persons or at least have separate rights that must be protected by the state. In each of the cases we identified, this same rationale provided the justification for the deprivation of pregnant women’s physical liberty, as well as of the right to medical decision making, medical privacy, bodily integrity and, in one case, the woman’s right to life.

Many of the pregnant women subjected to this mistreatment are themselves profoundly opposed to abortion. Yet it was precisely the legal arguments for recriminalizing abortion that were used to strip them of their rights to dignity and liberty in the context of labor and delivery. These cases, individually and collectively, highlight what is so often missed when the focus is on attacking or defending abortion, namely that all pregnant women are at risk of losing a wide range of fundamental rights that are at the core of constitutional personhood in the United States.

If we want to end these unjust and inhumane arrests and forced interventions on pregnant women, we need to stop focusing only on the abortion issue and start working to protect the personhood of pregnant women.

We should be able to work across the spectrum of opinion about abortion to unite in the defense of one basic principle: that at no point in her pregnancy should a woman lose her civil and human rights.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 31, 2016

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Fantastic thread title change

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

tbf nobody on the Christian Right reads the bible because the New Testament is way too left wing for them

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
Ted Cruz on Jimmy Kimmel. He confirms that he is the Zodiac around 1:15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmI6JQz2M10

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Ted Cruz on Jimmy Kimmel. He confirms that he is the Zodiac around 1:15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmI6JQz2M10

I think the bigger giveaway is how he opens all press events with "This is the Zodiac speaking"

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Kasich Super PAC has a new ad out that literally uses Trump's "Lyin' Ted" name, and also has a really creepy Pinocchio nose effect that makes Ted's face somehow even more disgusting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDumsN1NCGg

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Xenophon posted:

Kasich Super PAC has a new ad out that literally uses Trump's "Lyin' Ted" name, and also has a really creepy Pinocchio nose effect that makes Ted's face somehow even more disgusting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDumsN1NCGg

Lol I love this election cycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Wisconsin's 42 delegates are split up 18 to statewide winner, 3 each to the winner of each of WI's 8 districts.

Remember that on Tuesday. Even if (as seems likely) Cruz is called immediately there's quite a difference between a 39-3 Cruz-Trump split and, say, a 30-9-3 Cruz-Trump-Kasich one and it would not take much vote variation to separate those results.

• Locked thread