Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
My tubeless tyre has come partially off the front rim! What are my options? Can I pop this back in place by hand or is it going to have to go into the bike hospital?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
How is that even possible?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Yoshimo posted:

My tubeless tyre has come partially off the front rim! What are my options? Can I pop this back in place by hand or is it going to have to go into the bike hospital?

Something broke the bead, did you hit a curb? Are they the correct size tires for the rims? Personally I wouldn't trust that tire (or rim, possibly) and replace it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I've seen this cool trick where a dude pops it back on by setting off some propane in there, you should totally try that *farts*

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Drove it around while the pressure was way low? If you can get it to an air pump you might be able to just fill it back up and it'll reseat itself. But it might not. Might need to lube it up or take out the valve stem core or who knows what to get it to seat. And as was said, the tire may be bad anyway.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
~*~**~

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 22, 2017

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

-Inu- posted:

Do any of you guys have experience with fiberglass repair? I need to fix the bodywork on my bike, but it's 800 miles away and I don't want to subject my friend to a fiberglass clusterfuck. Is paying someone to make and attach a new piece something that's realistic cost-wise? Or should I get measurements, craft a piece, and just ship it down? I'd really rather not drop $600 on new bodywork if I can help it.

For reference, I need to fix the left side of the upper (that piece is floating somewhere in the fields in Florida, along with my $80 faceshield):

Looks like you may have had a little too much fun, asshat.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

ninmeister posted:

Wow, look at you, showing that guy what for.

He was at a trackday, you fuckwagon.

Inu, try seeing if any td forums have a crappy chinese upper for sale, and maybe cannibalize it?

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

M42 posted:

Wow, look at you, showing that guy what for.

He was at a trackday, you fuckwagon.

Apparently you missed the subtle joke, referring to the piece of tape on the gas tank.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Haha, you're right - but the other day I saw a guy absolutely flip when someone posted a pic of their trashed trackbike, apparently interpreting it as someone "wheelieing" and doing "hooligan biker poo poo" and deserved what they got. Used almost the same phrase.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I'm just blown away that any of that bodywork actually was fiberglass. I thought every manufacturer, oem or aftermarket, used plastic.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

-Inu- posted:

Do any of you guys have experience with fiberglass repair? I need to fix the bodywork on my bike, but it's 800 miles away and I don't want to subject my friend to a fiberglass clusterfuck. Is paying someone to make and attach a new piece something that's realistic cost-wise? Or should I get measurements, craft a piece, and just ship it down? I'd really rather not drop $600 on new bodywork if I can help it.

For reference, I need to fix the left side of the upper (that piece is floating somewhere in the fields in Florida, along with my $80 faceshield):

Paying someone to make you a custom part will always be two, three, five times the cost of buying the materials and doing it yourself. You decide whether that's worth the savings in time and effort on your part. Obviously if the professional guy can do better quality work than you can, that should be taken into consideration as well.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

ninmeister posted:

I'm still not convinced that my friends didn't sabotage my bike when they were setting my pressures on the warmers :v:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'm just blown away that any of that bodywork actually was fiberglass. I thought every manufacturer, oem or aftermarket, used plastic.
Pretty much all race bodywork is fiberglass. That bike has Armourbodies on it. Since trackbikes tend to crash more often, it's important to be able to patch it up easily since it doesn't shatter. Leaves less debris on the track too.

Sagebrush posted:

Paying someone to make you a custom part will always be two, three, five times the cost of buying the materials and doing it yourself. You decide whether that's worth the savings in time and effort on your part. Obviously if the professional guy can do better quality work than you can, that should be taken into consideration as well.
Yeah, definitely. I can do the work myself, but it's a lot harder when the bike is in a different state. I could do it next time I'm in town, but I can only stay over a weekend because of work, and I'm sure something would go wrong (it always does!) and I'd have to leave with a half finished job. I've always done work myself so I have no idea how much a custom piece would cost.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

M42 posted:

fuckwagon

heh

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

How long are brand new tires supposed to last? What about if you accidentally do burnouts by accident occasionally?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

A MIRACLE posted:

How long are brand new tires supposed to last? What about if you accidentally do burnouts by accident occasionally?

Depends.
Pilot powers/BT S20s last around 2-3k on the rear on a DRZ. Pilot Road 4s on the back of an FZ6 get about 8.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

How many burnouts are they rated for? :v:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

A MIRACLE posted:

What tire? Got about 10k so far on the rear of my FZ6 with an angel GT. Pilot power 3 on the front has about 6 or 7 and is near the bars. Did get it slightly used, though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
4000-12000 miles. Depends on the tire, size, what bike is riding on them, how and where you ride it, and the pressure you run.

Question: my wife killed her old Shorai Li Iron battery over the winter by leaving it off the tender. She replaced it with a new one a couple weeks ago, and now it's dead even though she's left it on the tender since getting it. It's one of those two-button fancy Shorai tenders that confuses me because it has buttons on it. Why can't it be automatic? It knows if it's been discharged so why doesn't it just go into recovery mode automagically? This thing is a gigantic pain in the rear end... I plug my lead acid battery into my Battery Tender Jr occasionally and it lasts like 7 years.

How did she kill it? She keeps asking me what she did wrong and all I can say is "you got a fancy battery that needs special care and feeding"... aren't these things supposed to be OK for longer between charges?

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 30, 2016

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

clutchpuck posted:

4000-12000 miles. Depends on the tire, size, what bike is riding on them, how and where you ride it, and the pressure you run.

Question: my wife killed her old Shorai Li Iron battery over the winter by leaving it off the tender. She replaced it with a new one a couple weeks ago, and now it's dead even though she's left it on the tender since getting it. It's one of those two-button fancy Shorai tenders that confuses me because it has buttons on it. Why can't it be automatic? It knows if it's been discharged so why doesn't it just go into recovery mode automagically? This thing is a gigantic pain in the rear end... I plug my lead acid battery into my Battery Tender Jr occasionally and it lasts like 7 years.

How did she kill it? She keeps asking me what she did wrong and all I can say is "you got a fancy battery that needs special care and feeding"... aren't these things supposed to be OK for longer between charges?

You're not supposed to leave them on tenders and it shouldn't have died over the winter from being off a tender or from being on their special fender I would have thought. I read the giant, stupid thread on advrider which is ridiculous and I don't recommend for anyone and the summary I got from it was buy an EarthX that's as big as will fit in your bike and only charge it if it needs charging.

Does her bike have some parasitic draw? That's all I can think of that would have killed it over the winter.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It has an analog clock on the tumor. We chalked the first one up to that plus over winter sitting. The new one went on the tender in "maintenance mode" or whatever ASAP so we sort of figured that would negate any clock draw.

She just hauled it to the shop for a pre-Alaska scary-rear end BMW-boxer clutch replacement and spline lube so I guess that's as good a time as any to have charging system looked at, but she hardly rode it with the new battery. It spent like 15 minutes on the road and then 2 weeks in the garage on maintenance charge.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

clutchpuck posted:

It has an analog clock on the tumor. We chalked the first one up to that plus over winter sitting. The new one went on the tender in "maintenance mode" or whatever ASAP so we sort of figured that would negate any clock draw.

She just hauled it to the shop for a pre-Alaska scary-rear end BMW-boxer clutch replacement and spline lube so I guess that's as good a time as any to have charging system looked at, but she hardly rode it with the new battery. It spent like 15 minutes on the road and then 2 weeks in the garage on maintenance charge.

Yeah, that sounds wrong/like it shouldn't have happened to me. FWIW, my personal experience is that I rode a bit this winter and then had to swap out the crank case and it just sat outside in the cold all winter without discharging at all, including ~6 weeks when I didn't ride it or turn it on at all and it didn't lose any charge at all. I don't have anything draining the battery when it's not on but still. You're not just having the issue where they have to warm up before they start in the cold, are you? I assume not but figure it doesn't hurt to ask.

edit: fwiw here's the ridiculous advrider thread - http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/motorcycle-batteries-agm-gel-wet-lithium-iron-phosphate-lifepo4.757934/ it's the best thing I could find on the internet for LiFePo batteries but if anyone knows about something else I'd be glad to hear it.

builds character fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 30, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
They're all garbage with poo poo quality control so you're rolling the dice with every one. If you want the handling that bad like put a gallon of gas less in the bike on each fill up or something idk

They're good for racebikes and any place you always have a jump pack available.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Yeah, I would not run one on a streetbike. Shorais were complete poo poo when they first came out in 2010 and none of the Li batteries have gotten much better since then. They'll randomly die on you, even if you do everything right. IME, most people wind up going through a few per race season. Best case you can get a full season out of one, but then you're leaving it sitting for 5 months so you still need spares because that one is likely going to bite the dust.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Lead acid's been around and working fine for 157 years, no reason to use more expensive less reliable LiFePo crap at this point in time.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you think you need the weight savings of li(fe)po on the street then lmao

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I'm gonna put a lithium in my 50cc race bike. Everywhere else in life, it's pointless.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I keep telling her she could shave 100lbs off and get a Buell with a reliable battery.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Buy her a regular battery and a gym membership

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

abigserve posted:

Buy her a regular battery and a gym membership

This.

Find a user in AI by the name of kastein. he's cut open some of these expensive as gently caress batteries. they're basically gently caress all garbage.

Ive bought (1) ballistic. it lasted all of a week before it killed itself. Never again on a moto. I'll skip a beer a night and offset the weight.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'm gonna put a lithium in my 50cc race bike. Everywhere else in life, it's pointless.

I can see it being useful on a custom bike with no space in the usual places so you could mount it somewhere strange and on it's side or whatever but yeah. Pointless.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you think you need the weight savings of li(fe)po on the street then lmao

I take a laxative before every ride just to ensure I get maximum performance out of my machine.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
How about that -- me too! I find that the, shall we say, "extended effects" are just the motivation I need to really shave those seconds off my ride.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Found this interesting article about exhaust design, to follow up on silencer-chat earlier:

http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine_technology/exhaust_system_technology.htm

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
So last year when I took my biek out of storage, the rear brake was kinda limp. Still worked. Just needed more pedal distance. I didn't think much of it. After a month of riding, it slowly returned to it's normal bite point.

This year the pedal was almost completely dead. Rode it home anyways. After I got home I cycled the pedal about 100 or so times. And pressure every so slowly comes back to where it's actually braking right at the end of travel.

What causes this? The fluid looks pretty nasty, so I'm going to bleed it. But I'm having trouble wrapping my head around how this happens.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Lead acid's been around and working fine for 157 years, no reason to use more expensive less reliable LiFePo crap at this point in time.

Wow, everyone really hates these batteries. fwiw, mine's lasted for a year now and I bought it because I wanted something I could leave outside in the winter and not have to charge and it's worked just fine. I'm sure, having typed that, that it will now explode and kill me or die and leave me stranded in a seedy motel bathtub full of ice.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I forgot to take my lead acid battery indoors last October, get to pay for it now. 3 volt resting. :waycool: Otherwise I agree with the lithium batteries. It sounds good in theory but turns out to be total poo poo.

Ziploc posted:

What causes this? The fluid looks pretty nasty, so I'm going to bleed it. But I'm having trouble wrapping my head around how this happens.

Needn't be more complicated than an air bubble in the right place. Low fluid level makes it worse. When you pump and pump forever you can get lucky and move it to another spot, or the air heats up, expands and helps pressurize the system a tiny bit. Bleeding the rear brake can be a pain the rear, but I got great help from an eBayed plastic syringe which came with a silicone hose. Pushing the fluid in from the caliper helped since it is the lowest point on the circuit while the reservoir is the highest, air bubbles want to go upwards. Also had another syringe for drawing fluid out of the reservoir as it filled up. Unbolting stuff, moving it around, tapping it hundreds of times is usually needed if there's a resilient bubble in there, but it's very satisfying when it finally burbles out.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ziploc posted:

So last year when I took my biek out of storage, the rear brake was kinda limp. Still worked. Just needed more pedal distance. I didn't think much of it. After a month of riding, it slowly returned to it's normal bite point.

This year the pedal was almost completely dead. Rode it home anyways. After I got home I cycled the pedal about 100 or so times. And pressure every so slowly comes back to where it's actually braking right at the end of travel.

Air or water in the system, or the MC seals are starting to go and is failing to pressurize the system at all.

Edit: whoops, new page!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Brake fluid is like a every 1-2 years regular thing. If you haven't done it ever and you're having trouble with brake pressure, you probably have your answer.

I will admit to never doing the rear fluid on either of my Ulysseses though. I could probably flinstone it better than the rear brake works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ziploc posted:

Master cylinder seals. The brembo on my Drz did this until I replaced the seals.