Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalel
Jun 19, 2012

<3 tara strong <3

how grimdark is the flash tv series? seems like DC is content on having the movies be grimdark but the TV being a little more light hearted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
at least the dc fanboy defense has shifted from "it's actually good shut up shut up shut up" to "well it wasn't that bad!"

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Otisburg posted:

he waits until after jimmy olsen is shot in the face to save lois.

i feel like it's simply not possible to overstate the fact that the first thing that happens in this movie that's not a flash forward or flash back or dream sequence is superman's pal, jimmy olsen, being executed by terrorists. this is snyders idea of having "fun" with the super man mythos

lol that part owned i could care less about some extra panel filler

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tiberius Christ posted:

wait jimmy olsen was the guy that got shot in the face at the beginning? what the gently caress, its like DC has no respect for its own characters. will they have lana lang get raped in the next one? also its pretty funny Jenny isnt an olsen anymore, i remember the marketing droning on about her when MOS was in development.
dc has no respect for the ink and lines. why wont they respect imaginary people????

jfc theyre comic book characters. literal corporate mascots. eey whats next RAPE?? THATS BASICALLY THE SAME THING AS DISRESPECTING MY COMICS get the gently caress over it you giant baby lmao

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

well if jimmy wanted to be saved by superman he shouldve been fuckin him like lois

are we sure that little girl he saved in mexico wasn't someone he knew?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tiberius Christ posted:

well if jimmy wanted to be saved by superman he shouldve been fuckin him like lois

are we sure that little girl he saved in mexico wasn't someone he knew?
my biggest gripe with the saving scenes was the rooftop people. Does he just pull them up one by one? Or does he do what you do with little cousins, where you stick your arms out and they all try to latch on while you run around the yard? if he had like a giant net or something i could find it believable, idk. that part really bugged me. why not like push a huge boat around??? "borrow" Lex's yacht, and he "borrows" his mom in return basically sets up the entire movie.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

achillesforever6 posted:

That and she's voiced by Tara Strong

I dunno what that means, but ok

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bring back old gbs posted:

my biggest gripe with the saving scenes was the rooftop people. Does he just pull them up one by one? Or does he do what you do with little cousins, where you stick your arms out and they all try to latch on while you run around the yard? if he had like a giant net or something i could find it believable, idk. that part really bugged me. why not like push a huge boat around??? "borrow" Lex's yacht, and he "borrows" his mom in return basically sets up the entire movie.

Maybe he drank all the water?

Edit: oh oh, I know, he used his super breath to freeze the water and they just walked to safety

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think he was watching the horses drown, foreshadowing the later dream sequence with his dead father.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Superman should be a villain and his motivation should be as petty as possible

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Maybe he drank all the water?

Edit: oh oh, I know, he used his super breath to freeze the water and they just walked to safety

pretty embarrassed I didnt think that up on my own. plot hole: grandma patched

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Zzulu posted:

"You can't drink this! It's actually urine, and it serves a specific purpose to the plot!"

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Zzulu posted:

Superman just needs to go Old Testament Yaweh.

A story arc where he sends the two twinkiest members of the Justice League to Metropolis and forces Jimmy to offer his mother to the crowd who wants to get a gangbang going.

An arc where Superman and Lex Luthor join forces to just completely gently caress over Jimmy's life to test how good of a person he is.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Booblord Zagats posted:

I dunno what that means, but ok
The voice actress of Raven also voices some of the ponies from that show (that and a poo poo ton of other characters because she has a monopoly in the voice actress industry)

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

The voice actress of Raven also voices some of the ponies from that show (that and a poo poo ton of other characters because she has a monopoly in the voice actress industry)

Them using the main voice actors for a ton of the smaller parts is one of the only things that ticks me off about that show.

It was really bad on one of the Christmas specials when Cyborg was getting yelled at by an elf foreman or some poo poo, and the dude who voices Cyborg was clearly reading both parts at once.

But then they do poo poo like have an April Fool's episode where one of the pranks was them telling Robin his parents were alive and waiting in his room so he ran into a spider web of tape.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

quote:

Honestly one of the main things running through my mind during the film was, " wow, this Superman is a really drat introverted". That's probably a weird thing to think about I guess. I actually remember seeing a rebloged mbti 'typing' of the MoS Superman that pegged him as an INFJ and I kind of get it now.

Oh and also the senator's slow reaction to the Jar of Piss was probably one of best jokes I've seen in a cape film. Like omfg.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Remember when Deadpool came out and your entire social media feed was cute and fun and joyously dumb Deadpool poo poo?

Has anyone seen ANYTHING positive and fun about this movie? Not thinkpieces that read like it was written by the living embodiment of the word "Actually,".

Have any of you seen someone personally seeming like they had a good time and want to share their joy?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cthulu Carl posted:

An arc where Superman and Lex Luthor join forces to just completely gently caress over Jimmy's life to test how good of a person he is.

I would be okay if the next DC movie was Superdickery, the film

Ed: Speaking of superdickery.com this pretty much sums up the movie

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 1, 2016

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

YESSSSSS this is the fuggin best lmao

supes got rosey cheeks hes so mad

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 1, 2016

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cthulu Carl posted:

Them using the main voice actors for a ton of the smaller parts is one of the only things that ticks me off about that show.

It was really bad on one of the Christmas specials when Cyborg was getting yelled at by an elf foreman or some poo poo, and the dude who voices Cyborg was clearly reading both parts at once.

But then they do poo poo like have an April Fool's episode where one of the pranks was them telling Robin his parents were alive and waiting in his room so he ran into a spider web of tape.

And this joke...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Remember when Deadpool came out and your entire social media feed was cute and fun and joyously dumb Deadpool poo poo?

Has anyone seen ANYTHING positive and fun about this movie? Not thinkpieces that read like it was written by the living embodiment of the word "Actually,".

Have any of you seen someone personally seeming like they had a good time and want to share their joy?

I have friends who liked it. But they started their facebook reviews with "better than what the critics said" or "its not as bad as the critics said" and always included some nerdy thing that they've always wanted to see.

So I dunno.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Say Nothing posted:

And this joke...

Does cyborg even have junk to beat?

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
I thought batman's dream where he beats up the superman paratroopers and the bug things was cool. Otherwise this movie sucked

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

Does cyborg even have junk to beat?

He's got his rear end on a pneumatic piston so he can moon people and then rub it in their faces, so, IDK, probably.

Edit: aw crap, that shot never happened in the cartoon :(

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 1, 2016

Riotgrrill
Sep 3, 2004

Good times, great memories.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Guessing the Sad Affleck video had something do with those numbers.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Riotgrrill posted:

I thought it broke $200 million domestically last weekend, but I guess that didn't happen.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
I'm sure some goon will correct me but I'm sure that's gonna count as a flop.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

hitchensgoespop posted:

pretty sure china is subsidizing our poo poo movies now

truly a globalized world

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Cthulu Carl posted:

Oh my god, you're not kidding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc1QHOvS_G0

Also holy crap do fans really not like this show replacing the older DC cartoons; at least half the comments on youtube clips are of folks being really butthurt about it. I think I might enjoy this show based purely on that principle.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I saw this movie and I regret it, it was bad on many levels.

One dumb thing I missed while watching it: the whole "I thought she was with you" line- Batman/Bruce Wayne had already met WW and talked to her and knew she was like 100 years old by the time that fight happened.

Why does Ma Kent tell Clark that "he doesn't owe people anything"? Like aside from being philosophically dumb and inconsistent with most people's understanding of Superman, she's just plain wrong. He owes people a lot- he was partly responsible for all the death and destruction that happened in MoS.

What was the point of having Lois Lane follow up on that bullet fragment? We as an audience already knew Lex was evil and had some master plan, and Lex basically explains that plan unprompted to Superman when he actually shows up.

Why/what authority does Holly Hunter have to keep Lex from his various plans w/ Zod's body and the spaceship? It seems pretty unlikely some chump junior senator would have the power to keep him from getting access under the premise that he was building a Superman-killing weapon. Seems like Lex could have just gone to the CIA or the Pentagon with the "kill Superman weapon" idea and they'd have given him free reign? In fact- what's the point of the Superman commission? What legislative or governmental goals are the hoping to achieve from it?

When Wonder Woman is trying to "get back" the picture, does she not understand that it's a file on a computer and there are probably lots of copies? Is she an anachronism or not?

Why does Superman need Batman's help to save his mom?

None of the above are even in the top 5 of why this movie was terrible- just things I don't think I saw mentioned already.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Riotgrrill posted:

hitchensgoespop posted:

It's still way too early to tell but the second weekend figures should give some indication whether BvS has legs or whether it was totally front loaded.
But I can note that BvS's numbers for Friday and Saturday were huge but since then it's done about the same or worse numbers than Deadpool. BvS got $33 million domestic on its first Sunday but Deadpool got $42 million its first Sunday.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=deadpool2016.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=superman2015.htm

Word on the street is that after the huge production budget and the ad/promo campaign and everything BvS will have to make at least $800 million worldwide just to break even.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Cthulu Carl posted:

Superman just needs to go Old Testament Yaweh.

A story arc where he sends the two twinkiest members of the Justice League to Metropolis and forces Jimmy to offer his mother to the crowd who wants to get a gangbang going.

Even LEx isn't that big of an rear end in a top hat. I could see superman doing it tho.

Word on the street is that after the huge production budget and the ad/promo campaign and everything BvS will have to make at least $800 million worldwide just to break even.

This will happen. Never underestimate Asia's desire to see poo poo films we produce.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

It's still way too early to tell but the second weekend figures should give some indication whether BvS has legs or whether it was totally front loaded.

I heard it had one of the biggest second-week drop-offs ever seen for a superhero movie.

I forgot where I heard it, so grain of salt and all that - that could just be in America.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Bug Bill Murray posted:

I thought batman's dream where he beats up the superman paratroopers and the bug things was cool. Otherwise this movie sucked

I'm glad I've now seen two films that have a man dramatically waking up from both a dream, and a dream within a dream.

The other one was The Wicker Man.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chucat posted:

I'm glad I've now seen two films that have a man dramatically waking up from both a dream, and a dream within a dream.

Apparently it wasn't a dream, someone else pointed out that when The Flash comes back in time to pass on that message the time wormhole is kicking up a whole bunch of Bruce's paperwork and when he 'wakes up' the paperwork is still all messed up.

It was still a pretty clumsy, pointless scene regardless.

Edit: I don't even like this film and I've never even been a huge fan of the characters, I don't know why I've put so much goddamned thought into it :smith:

Woden
May 6, 2006

a happy snowman posted:

I heard it had one of the biggest second-week drop-offs ever seen for a superhero movie.

I forgot where I heard it, so grain of salt and all that - that could just be in America.

quote:

It dropped an eye-popping 55% between Friday and Sunday, a figure which even beats the 48% drop in numbers set by the much-despised 'Fantastic Four’ last summer.

Numbers also dropped from 38% between Friday and Saturday, the second biggest drop after 'The Dark Knight Rises’ recorded its 40% dip in 2012.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/batman-v-superman-sets-unwanted-box-office-record-085616119.html

They use the weirdest metrics so I have no idea how relevant it all is, Deadline.com is posting poo poo about it getting the highest Tuesday in March ever.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Chucat posted:

The very first I can remember doing that was An American Werewolf in London which is one of the top five horror films of all time.

If you haven't seen it, go - and for shits and giggles watch Ginger Snaps right afterwards.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Woden posted:

Deadline.com is posting poo poo about it getting the highest Tuesday in March ever.

.... whilst carefully not mentioning the lovely Sunday, Monday and Wednesday it had.
ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN TOOT TOOT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

a happy snowman posted:

Today begins BvS' second weekend. If everyone stays home or goes to see something else we may be blessed with a Justice League film with no Zack Snyder and a Superman that doesn't murder people for shits and giggles.

And the king of weekend dropoffs for comic movies will probably always be Ang Lee's Hulk, at -69.7%

Fant4stic was -68.2%

X3 was -66.9%

• Locked thread