Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Are you just being intentionally dumb or are you just unaware that every previous iPhone could be reliably expected to survive a 2ft drop?
You can watch drop tests if you want; the 6/6s is last by a long way at a task you would hope gets better over time.

His point (the design is weaker and contributes to breaks) is absolutely correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

empty baggie posted:

It hit a plastic sill doesn't excuse that it went from there to 2 or 3 feet onto a very hard surface. A caseless phone dropped from a car into a gutter. What do you think would happen? If you had even a minimal case, it might have lessened the blow, but you didn't. And now you're here whining because you're too cheap to put your phone in a case. Good for you.

Edit: it's hilarious that you consider that hitting the plastic sill of your car door is somehow supposed to magically make your phone impervious to hitting concrete or asphalt right after. What is wrong with you?

I've seen plenty of iPhones that were broken because someone dropped them, going from the original iPhone up until now. The majority of them did not have a case on the phone. Your anecdotal evidence is horseshit. I fix iPhones every day. I've seen dozens of iPhone 4, 5, 6 that have been destroyed by slamming them into doors or hatches, or simply by dropping them in a gutter. The common denominator between most of them is that they didn't have a case installed. You rolled the dice and you lost. Get over it.

My naked phone hit plastic before hitting concrete! It shouldn't have broken! Are you a complete fool?

Oh yeah, get hosed, moron.

The sill of my car (to be clear, the bottom of the door opening of the car) is at most half a foot off the ground. It's a low car. It landed there from 2ft above or less as I was using it as a torch to get my groceries.

I mentioned it purely because it's a break in the fall. Had I dropped it straight out of my pocket onto the road I wouldn't even bother posting.

And as I said, an iPhone 4, comprised mostly of glass, slid off the roof of the same car and fell onto the road, no case, and all it did was damage the screen protector I had on at the time. 4-5 feet drop and no damage.

The 6 is a flimsy slippery mess.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Are we just going to ignore the fact that every fall is different? I dropped my iPhone 5 about 4 feet onto tiled floor with no case and it had a super minor dent in the corner, whereas I've seen people with cases have theirs drop less than half that and have a shattered screen. There's a lot more to a bad fall than just "it's a flimsy device", there's the speed of rotation, whether it lands on a corner or on a side, etc.

Basically what I'm saying is, nobody cares that you dropped your phone and it got damaged. Next time, don't drop it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I have already grown to hate the iPhone name when telling people about it:

"Apple has a new iPhone coming out called the iPhone SE."

"Oh, Apple is releasing a new iPhone C?"

Maybe I'm just saying it wrong, but it's really annoying to pronounce, which adds up explaining it to 20 people a day.

Maybe I'll just start calling it the iPhone C.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Laserface posted:

I dont know if I would consider the plastic sill of a car door "hard". it fell to there then onto the ground.

my 4 slid off the roof of the same car onto the road and didnt break at all.

my ipad air also had a nice crease appear in the chassis at some point and that thing never leaves my god drat bedroom.

Thinness is cool until it starts affecting the strength of your materials to the point that someone can dent it by using it to read in bed.

:nallears:

cool meltdown

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I have already grown to hate the iPhone name when telling people about it:

"Apple has a new iPhone coming out called the iPhone SE."

"Oh, Apple is releasing a new iPhone C?"

Maybe I'm just saying it wrong, but it's really annoying to pronounce, which adds up explaining it to 20 people a day.

Maybe I'll just start calling it the iPhone C.

... Are you producing the SE as a word with one syllable? Because that would be silly.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

If only he used the saddle brown case.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Dave posted:

... Are you producing the SE as a word with one syllable? Because that would be silly.

No, but apparently it blurs together.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They should call it the iPhone Small, iPhone Medium, and iPhone Huge.

Then we can amuse ourselves with Goldilocks jokes.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

this thing feels...sturdier

Weedle
May 31, 2006

This will never happen, but I think it'd be nice if Apple conceded to making its phones a couple of millimeters thicker so they could survive falling a couple of feet without a case. I don't care much for the fact that your choice is either to conceal/dilute the elegant design of the device or risk it being destroyed from a random fall.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

The Saddle Brown Leather Case Accentuates The Sublime Elegance Of The Phone.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Stop dropping your phones.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Okay dad

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm not a fan of the way the case doesn't cover the bottom edge of the phone. The 5/5s/SE case covers all four sides of the phone, but I guess that wasn't possible with the 6 due to its shape.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Weedle posted:

This will never happen, but I think it'd be nice if Apple conceded to making its phones a couple of millimeters thicker so they could survive falling a couple of feet without a case.

And also for battery!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

cowofwar posted:

Stop dropping your phones.

Thanks for the hot tip!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Weedle posted:

I'm not a fan of the way the case doesn't cover the bottom edge of the phone. The 5/5s/SE case covers all four sides of the phone, but I guess that wasn't possible with the 6 due to its shape.

The apple leather cases (but especially the Brown Apple Leather Case) for the 6/6S are perfectly designed to cover the necessary. They're an exercise in perfection and any more coverage would just be superfluous.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

And also for battery!

Also this. I know that cutting-edge industrial design to the detriment of performance is part of the deal when you use an iPhone, but I can dream.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The apple leather cases (but especially the Brown Apple Leather Case) for the 6/6S are perfectly designed to cover the necessary. They're an exercise in perfection and any more coverage would just be superfluous.

I'm sure they work just fine, I just prefer the look of the uniform coverage on all sides.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

We just bought my mom an iPhone 6s. Thought I would share, you can get two iPhones for one if you buy with att next right now

Are there any nice clear cases? She wants to have a case and still be able to see the rose gold

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This Is A Good Post

(Not as good as having the Good Chip in your phone obv.)

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I've been using the Apple silicone case for my 6 for over a year now and it works great. Solves the "slipperiness" problem, lets it lie flat on a hard surface, doesn't add any real size to the device, screen hasn't cracked after a few minor drops, and it looks OK I guess. A++ Would Recommend To Other iPhone 6 Users!!!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

got my SE

perfect phone imo

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Friend did you get an Apple Saddle Brown Leather Case by Apple to protect your Valuable Investment?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

im going caseless for my SE, the only thing more elegant than the saddle brown leather case

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

cant describe how suited my needs are at the moment. the true steve experience.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

im going caseless for my SE, the only thing more elegant than the saddle brown leather case

You hosed up. You hosed up real bad.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

oh no let me clamp the most perfectly designed device ever into this $80 tupperware otterbox

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

oh no let me clamp the most perfectly designed device ever into this $80 tupperware otterbox

ur deadprobated

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

bite me bigphone haver

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Got my SE. It's so loving fast!

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

AstroZamboni posted:

Got my SE. It's so loving fast!

its already my fave phone

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

agreed op this is perf

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Um, Steve thought the one true screen size was 3.5 inches. Apple resisted even going to the tall phone for a long time.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

ethanol posted:

We just bought my mom an iPhone 6s. Thought I would share, you can get two iPhones for one if you buy with att next right now

Are there any nice clear cases? She wants to have a case and still be able to see the rose gold

Check Amazon dot com

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

xzzy posted:

Um, Steve thought the one true screen size was 3.5 inches. Apple resisted even going to the tall phone for a long time.

The 4s was the last true Jobs device.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The 5 was well in development when he died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

The 5 was well in development when he died.

It's actually what killed him. The 4S was perfection.