Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I appreciate that this post is nearly three weeks old so my reply might now be redundant, but what does being in an OOTP league involve? I mean how does it work?

Also, if it's not to late, are you still looking for owners?

Yeah looking to fill the Giants, Astros, Royals, and Mets.

Being in an online league you play it just like normal but you have to download a new file after every sim. This can be done in-game, but if there's a problem you'll have to download it from a website and just put the folder into your saved_games folder. Before every sim you'll export your changes to the ftp server, also done in-game, and I will import whatever changes you made to your organization before the next sim.

When I run the sims I broadcast them live on twitch most of the time and our website has a chatroom and we usually have a substantial turnout to watch the games. These usually last about an hour.

Is that a good explanation?

con fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

oldskool posted:

I'm not sure if stadiums evolve. I've never seen it happen, but to be fair I've personally never had a league really evolve at all.

Teams will move stadiums at the appropriate time if you have the league set to evolve historically. I haven't done a long historical sim in forever, so I don't know about the capacity thing when you start in the pre-modern era. I know I did one starting in the 40's or 50's and the Giants moved to Seal Stadium for the first two seasons in San Francisco before settling into Candlestick. Likewise with the Dodgers and LA Memorial Coliseum. I thought that was cool.

You can also ask questions like these on the OOTP forums and usually get a solid response since this is a pretty straight forward question. Other questions or suggestions usually get a lot of poo poo posts.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

con posted:

Yeah looking to fill the Giants, Astros, Royals, and Mets.

Being in an online league you play it just like normal but you have to download a new file after every sim. This can be done in-game, but if there's a problem you'll have to download it from a website and just put the folder into your saved_games folder. Before every sim you'll export your changes to the ftp server, also done in-game, and I will import whatever changes you made to your organization before the next sim.

When I run the sims I broadcast them live on twitch most of the time and our website has a chatroom and we usually have a substantial turnout to watch the games. These usually last about an hour.

Is that a good explanation?

That's a very good explanation, thank you very much. In short, I do the team management parts, upload, you then SIM the games, I download the updated save after the games, then repeat, right?

If you're happy with a relative novice joining I'd love to join in.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

OOTP 2017 announced

quote:

New community-driven features bring the most authentic hardball experience to unprecedented heights.
  • For the first time ever, fully licensed by both the MLBPA and MLB.com!
  • All the real Major League teams, players, and logos, including projected 2016 Opening Day rosters
  • Over 150 authentic Minor League clubs with real logos and leagues, along with 8 international and several independent leagues, all with real rosters
  • All major league player ratings - plus those of more than 1,000 minor leaguers - based on ZiPS, the projection system created by well-known baseball writer and SABR member Dan Szymborski
  • All-new Historical Exhibition option! Pit any two teams throughout history against each other in a single game or a series, or replay any historic World Series matchup with accurate rosters
  • Smarter, more cunning AI GMs and managers, with individualized personal approaches to roster-building, scouting, and finances
  • Authentic minor league systems from 1919 through 2015 with a database of more than 100,000 real players
  • And of course, the Out of the Park Baseball trademark of seasons spanning 150 years of baseball

They finally got rid of PECOTA :toot:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Officially licenced, that's neat.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Something not in that list but in the article that is also important (to me at least) is that they support multi-core processors now. So for people like me who very rarely play games it will (supposedly) no longer take absolutely forever to sim through a month (or even a week).

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

Something not in that list but in the article that is also important (to me at least) is that they support multi-core processors now. So for people like me who very rarely play games it will (supposedly) no longer take absolutely forever to sim through a month (or even a week).

That's cool. Hopefully it will actually be fast, instead of taking the same amount of time while tying up your whole machine instead of just one core.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Well now, should I burn the $35 for a pre-order or wait for a sale? This is gonna affect the LP I have going on.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Danny Glands posted:

Well now, should I burn the $35 for a pre-order or wait for a sale? This is gonna affect the LP I have going on.

They generally do a half off sale during the allstar break, and before that you might be able to catch it for 10-20% off during a big steam sale. Which would be $32 at 20%.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I just got an e-mail reminding me that tomorrow is the last day to pre-order and holy poo poo guys the game comes out in two days (if you did in fact pre-order). :stare:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I said I wasn't gonna preorder since last years can hold me over until a sale but welp here I am looking at my receipt.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I said I wasn't gonna preorder since last years can hold me over until a sale but welp here I am looking at my receipt.

I was probably gonna pass but multi-core support convinced me to pull the trigger. Here's hoping sims won't take an eternity to run now!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Great now I can run that 60 year baseball on the moon without gloves sim I've been waiting for.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
poo poo, you know what, I'm gonna take the offer and pre-order.

e: No I'm not, because the discount ended. Waiting for a sale.

Danny Glands fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 17, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

One (game) week into OOTP17 and I'm already "fighting" with my manager about how to set up the rotation :allears:

Also trying to decide if the free agent signings I'm making should be considered cheesing or not :v:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

How are you guys liking OOTP17?

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Having full minors when doing a historical replay is amazing.

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy
Simming is very fast.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Toona the Cat posted:

Having full minors when doing a historical replay is amazing.
My new goal in OOTP is to turn Macho Man Randy Savage into a baseball superstar.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I have an extra Steam key for OOTP 17 I'm letting go for $25 (Google wallet).

E: Sold

Traxis fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 22, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Dodgers signed Strasburg in the 2016/17 offseason in my game :stonklol:

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...
I have an OOTP 16 online league and looking for a Mariners GM. We are halfway through the 2018 off-season and will be moving to OOTP 17 after the ASB sale. If you're interested let me know.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Speaking of OOTP, I did an interview for my blog with Markus and the crew at OOTP, and while he crushes my dreams a couple times (no radio broadcast mode, no Inside the Park 2), it's kinda interesting to see what goes on behind the scenes.

https://www.an8bitmind.com/index.php/2016/04/04/an-interview-with-the-folks-over-at-out-of-the-park-baseball/

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

weas posted:

Simming is very fast.

That's good to hear. I know they said it now supports multi-processors.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

So I just got 17 yesterday and started messing with it. As someone who has hundreds of hours sunk into Football Manager over the years while also being a huge baseball fan, I feel incredibly at home in this

In 2016, unlike in reality, the Cubs were absolute dogshit and finished third in the NL Central, while my Mets ran away with the NL East (it didn't help the Cubs lost Lester and Arrieta for the season in like, June)

Turns out the 2016 WS is going to be a rematch of the 1986 WS, which the Mets are gonna win in a sweep

This is a good and fun game

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Hi guys, the popular Super League Let's Play thread is looking for more teams! We have a few and could always use more sign ups

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778233&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
Not trying to steal Armitage's thunder (the Super League looks awesome and you should all definitely join it) but my long-running online OOTP league is looking for a few new members as we've just made the conversion to OOTP17. We've been running since 2008 so we're about to enter our eighth year of existence and the league's 37th season overall. We've got a couple SAS members in the league already, and others who are past members. If you've never done an OOTP online league I highly recommend it, it's much more challenging than the AI and the time commitment is literally whatever you want to make it. And first-time online leaguers tend to make the best members, I've found!

Here's the post on the OOTPDev forums that I made that goes into a little of the league specifics: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/ootp-17-online-leagues/267343-rising-star-league-moves-ootp17.html

If anybody happens to be interested, just reach out to me here or via PM or via email.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

OOTP 17 is 50% off, down to $19.99, until July 4th. No idea if inclusion in the Steam Summer Sale replaces the usual All-Star game sale or not.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So this is going on in my current game:

He's apparently a 34th round draft pick who in-game was traded for a middling closer while still in rookie ball.

I had nothing to do with any of this editing or otherwise. His initial scouting ratings were 1/2/1 and SOMETHING happened when he was in A ball. Something...big.

So, that's 6 straight Cy Youngs, 5 straight MVPs. I don't think I've ever seen a better player in this game that wasn't some sort of edited thing.

Also in this game Mike Trout has managed to stay pretty much healthy and productive into his 30s and he's approaching Ruthian career levels, which I've also never seen.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 10, 2016

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

bewbies posted:

So this is going on in my current game:

He's apparently a 34th round draft pick who in-game was traded for a middling closer while still in rookie ball.

I had nothing to do with any of this editing or otherwise. His initial scouting ratings were 1/2/1 and SOMETHING happened when he was in A ball. Something...big.

So, that's 6 straight Cy Youngs, 5 straight MVPs. I don't think I've ever seen a better player in this game that wasn't some sort of edited thing.

Also in this game Mike Trout has managed to stay pretty much healthy and productive into his 30s and he's approaching Ruthian career levels, which I've also never seen.

i LOVE poo poo like this. Post us Trout's stats too please

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

bewbies posted:

Lol this poo poo is always amazing. I've never had Mike Trout have a better year in OOTP than any of his real previous years.

Just like how Pablo Sandoval was the greatest player ever in like ootp 13/14/15 whenever really.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Conversely that Devil Ray that broke his arm mid-game is always like an HOF starter :smith:

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

bewbies posted:

In my game Trout had a few bad injury seasons but otherwise didn't have an OPS+ under 140 through 2030. He completely stopped hitting home runs when he hit thirty though (and only hit 11 in fictional 2015), so he just barely hit 400.

What's interesting is he's played for eight different teams, with two separate stints with Texas and LAA, and has never won a championship. And he appears to be ending his career with the 32-58 Cleveland Indians so I don't think it's gonna happen. His last playoff run was at age 37, with Texas, he hit .339/.464/.536 that postseason in 16 games. They lost in the World Series.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ok here's some interesting career shots. This was kind of a strange game in this regard...a random all time great, trout and Harper both having long and relatively injury free careers. I managed the Royals until 2020 (I think) and then resigned and just ran a sim. I made no edits to any player.

Carlos Correa: could have been the best SS of all time, but had some major injury problems after his age 25 season.

Bryce Harper: I signed him to a 10 year, 350mm deal as the Royals (lol), I think my world class trainer did a great job of keeping him healthy. Fell off the cliff badly at age 33 but that 13.0 WAR .363/.492/.700 season is maybe the best I've ever seen from an outfielder.

Clayton Kershaw: was brilliant as expected, signed HUGE deal (8 years, 45mm per year I think?) with the Pirates and promptly blew out his shoulder.

Manny Machado: pretty close to the best 3B of all time. Yankees signed him to a stupid huge deal in his first UFA year and certainly got their money's worth:

Some regen catcher who I posted because he is probably the best all around catcher of all time:

Giancarlo: Made it to the HoF despite always being hurt and becoming the all time ML leader in K's:

Trout: 3rd all time WAR (behind Cobb's 176 and Ruth's 167), kind of funny he appears to have developed a Bondsian eye out of nowhere at age 33. I think he could have easily passed Ruth if he'd stuck around but retired young (relatively).

And now this motherfucker: he's still pitching and is still useful at age 41 but I got tired of waiting for the stupid sim. 5 MVPs, 11 Cy Youngs. 16 ASGs.

Here's his contract history which is also kind of funny:

Opted out of his 7/112 Padres contract in 2025, signed with KC for 7/239 (this was the CPU, I had resigned by this point), opted out there after 2 years, signed with Reds for 7/283, signed 2/125 with Indianapolis (expansion team), then 2/89 with Seattle, and just finished 1/16 with Colorado. I have inflation set to between 2 and 5% per year but still, lol.

All that said I think the funniest thing of all is he's still nowhere near Ryan's strikeout record.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

He's less than 500 Ks away from Ryan, which is pretty impressive considering exactly one other pitcher ever has gotten within 1000.

I'm only into 1911 in my attempt to go 1901-present, so nobody's done anything really ridiculous yet. (Well except me, trading the White Sox enough pieces for a World Series run to get an underperforming, non-power-developing Gavvy Cravath :doh:)

e: and the moment I say that, Connie Mack gets fired in 1911, 39 years early.

StupidSexyMothman fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 16, 2016

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

So after only playing historical exhibitions and simming historical what if's to see how Negro League and would do in the MLB, I finally decided to actually play a season-long+ game. For some reason, I decided my first game was to try and one up Sandy Alderson and started with the 2011 Mets in a historical game. However by 2014/15 I've noticed that some of the prospects and my players had their ratings either shoot up (Justin Turner) or collapse (Matt Harvey even though his arm didn't explode this time) and it's probably going to be not as fun if I decided to just trade for prospects I know that are going to be good even if they have low potential ratings. Because of this, I've been thinking of using the development engine instead of recalculations on real stats every season and enabling the scouting system. I do have a couple of questions about this however.

1) This is more for a standard game, but how common is it for a player's potential to improve like I assume with Tyler Watson in bewbies' game?

2)Is it still relatively common in this mode for the same players to be good? Asking in case I decide to use this mode for future historical simulations.

3) How will relievers who became starters be handled like Adam Wainwright or pitchers who became hitters and vice versa like Ruth, Musial and Ankiel?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dreamsicle posted:

So after only playing historical exhibitions and simming historical what if's to see how Negro League and would do in the MLB, I finally decided to actually play a season-long+ game. For some reason, I decided my first game was to try and one up Sandy Alderson and started with the 2011 Mets in a historical game. However by 2014/15 I've noticed that some of the prospects and my players had their ratings either shoot up (Justin Turner) or collapse (Matt Harvey even though his arm didn't explode this time) and it's probably going to be not as fun if I decided to just trade for prospects I know that are going to be good even if they have low potential ratings. Because of this, I've been thinking of using the development engine instead of recalculations on real stats every season and enabling the scouting system. I do have a couple of questions about this however.

1) This is more for a standard game, but how common is it for a player's potential to improve like I assume with Tyler Watson in bewbies' game?

2)Is it still relatively common in this mode for the same players to be good? Asking in case I decide to use this mode for future historical simulations.

3) How will relievers who became starters be handled like Adam Wainwright or pitchers who became hitters and vice versa like Ruth, Musial and Ankiel?

You have two choices for how historical players develop: one is they basically take the historical stats for each season, set up each players production for that season based on what he did historically, and sim it out for that year. So like, 1961 Roger Maris' power is through the roof for that year, but they fall off...abruptly after that, because that's what he did historically. The relief pitcher thing is handled in the same way, like Dennis Eckersley's scouting report will show him as a top notch starter in 1985, and then he'll suddenly turn into a reliever in 1986. I personally find this approach pretty dull as you know EXACTLY when a player is going to break out, or alternatively fall off, etc.

The other way to do it is they feed in a "career potential" kind of setup when the player is built, and they get thrown into the game, and the game engine just takes over from there. So, like George Brett gets put into the game in 1970-something, and starts with the potential to be a .390/.454/.664 hitter eventually. He'll then develop just like any other player...might get to .390 territory, might not....might be even better. This is a lot more fun as you can kind of see "what ifs" based on player talent level but with them in different situations, different injury histories, etc. You can turn up the randomness too, so they'll get more (or bigger) bumps or hits to their ability and thus you'll have even more variation.

I did a complete computer sim of all baseball history using this on a previous OOTP and the results were pretty cool...Babe Ruth hit like 800 HRs, Ted Williams sucked, Roger Clemens didn't even make the majors, etc.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hilariously in older ootp the Red Sox never covered Ruth from a pitcher and he would always end up pitching forever.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Seeing these posts inspired me to pick back up my Twins franchise that I started a while back while I watch the playoffs. This just happened:

hmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

bewbies posted:

The other way to do it is they feed in a "career potential" kind of setup when the player is built, and they get thrown into the game, and the game engine just takes over from there. So, like George Brett gets put into the game in 1970-something, and starts with the potential to be a .390/.454/.664 hitter eventually. He'll then develop just like any other player...might get to .390 territory, might not....might be even better. This is a lot more fun as you can kind of see "what ifs" based on player talent level but with them in different situations, different injury histories, etc. You can turn up the randomness too, so they'll get more (or bigger) bumps or hits to their ability and thus you'll have even more variation.

I did a complete computer sim of all baseball history using this on a previous OOTP and the results were pretty cool...Babe Ruth hit like 800 HRs, Ted Williams sucked, Roger Clemens didn't even make the majors, etc.
If you look waaaay back in the thread, you can find my posts about a long-term sim in OOTP 12 where Adam Dunn turns into the King of Baseball. I should do that again sometime.

• Locked thread