Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I am declaring myself lore master of Solar Plebian. Gonna crank out some lore tonight.

In keeping with the spirit of the source material I am not checking anyone else's work first and doing whatever I want. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Where do I pick up some of those non-transferable space genocide bonds?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

A Neurotic Jew posted:

is Ryan Archer literally a retard?

Nope, he's a very stupid person whose only talent is lying to himself.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

He needs to redo the 3 personalities too, I can't wait for that :allears:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Literally Kermit posted:

I am declaring myself lore master of Solar Plebian. Gonna crank out some lore tonight.

In keeping with the spirit of the source material I am not checking anyone else's work first and doing whatever I want. :getin:

You're gonna have to sort that out with Samizdata. Long as you work off the canon, we won't have to get Stimperial on your rear end.

https://samizdata.quip.com/UYSAOAf5Ely

quote:

Your eyes drag open in the eerie pre-dawn quiet of a Stimperial prison cube as your thoughts at once emerge incomprehensible and clear among the formless roiling dark and are born again and suffocating under the cold stone bosom of a surrogate mother. You remember. You are a Goonrathi. You are - were - a decorated fighter pilot, but you can't remember why. All that is now foreordained is your tenuous rank among the Stimperian damned.

Before capture, you were living in exile as a "Plebeian" in a "Sperg" controlled system. The reasons for this exile lurk beyond the intractable darkness, curtained behind your mind you cannot see and to which you have no ingress. But for dreams. A muted, muffled song at the edges of your hearing. Somewhere, the voice of God, a sounding horn, calling.

Calling.

The Spergs are an intolerable community of miscreants, and so the roving blind are easy enough to hide among. And it is among the sheep that your fleeing found its end. These are haughty, pretentious, ignorant pseudo-intellectuals, in every direction, at all hours, who think QUITE highly of themselves. But in the stone fields of the waking world they can hold no quarry. These lost but faithful souls outdare the aspect of their shortcoming as Salem did the devil's workmen: Commitment to the sounding drums of alternate reality immersion technology and so quiet all the other drums. Without a means to plumb their inner dark, and in its finding rout it out, they drift a softened herd among the chaos of the world. They are lost.

And are we so different?

The Stimpire is a brutal, imperialist, warfaring gala-nation whose unprecedented dominance is yet unrivaled in the 'Laxy. They take immense pleasure in war, conquest, and inflicting pain upon the conquered. They have recently invaded your system and wiped it with the Sperg's intolerable asses. Turns out the Spergs are better at buying space ships than piloting them. You couldn't help but crack a smug smile against the sight of their systematic annihilation as you waged your own battle from behind the cockpit. In a valiant, courageous 1-man effort against the Stimpire's insurmountable force (this will be the Intro mission and act as tutorial), you were captured, but not without inflicting heavy losses on the Stimpire elite and gaining notice from the Stimperor. This is the only reason you're still alive and relatively well cared for: You are a Space Gladiator, captive of the Stimpire, your only chance for survival will come from behind the yoke of your ship.

You see, the only thing the Stimpire likes more than inflicting pain upon the weak and helpless is gladiatorial games. In Stimperial terms, to waste your skills as a brutal, devastating pilot would be utterly perverse. Instead, you must do battle in the Stimperial Ramming Arenas and fight your way up the ranks. If you reign supreme, you will be granted freedom by the Stimpire, and will forever be heralded in the annals of their immeasurably brutal and amateurishly penned history.

Will you take the helm, Plebeian? Will you rise to glory and freedom? Or will you die catteless and alone in the cold mire of the damned, to the roaring of your captors' applause?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Tippis posted:

I think the Stimpire should just be some white-shirted office guy with a regulation tie, slight comb-over, a disappointing attempt at a moustache, and a rather confused look on his face because he just never seems to be able to convince people that the Stimpire is not all that it's cracked up to be.

I dig this twist. Everything we've read about the Fourth Stimpire is entirely propaganda because they're sitting on some sweet space resources. And even though it's totally over the top, and nobody in their right minds would believe a word of it, everyone still does and demands we exterminate them. It reminds me somehow of CIG.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Daztek posted:

That green vomit filter is making it tricky

He's like a serial killer. Knows we are on his tracks so he comes up with ways to throw off the scent.

We are dealing with a retarded genius.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

:siren: Who wants to learn art the Ryan Archer way? :siren:

https://sendvid.com/n6fln1tn

I am dying.

I am dying.

I am ded

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I found a picture of that sun in an article about NASA studying the sun on isciencetimes.com but it doesn't actually credit NASA for the image, and tbh it's pretty unlike most of the pictures I've found in the Solar Dynamics Observatory gallery...

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Scruffpuff posted:

I dig this twist. Everything we've read about the Fourth Stimpire is entirely propaganda because they're sitting on some sweet space resources. And even though it's totally over the top, and nobody in their right minds would believe a word of it, everyone still does and demands we exterminate them. It reminds me somehow of CIG.

The Fourth Stimpire: it's the guys who have the regular, low-maintenance, coffee machine rather than the contraption that serves up over-cooked pipe-sludge.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Truga posted:

Imagine there's no Roberts
It's easy if you try
No spy behind us
Above us only cry
Imagine all the people
Playing Elite today...

Imagine there's no Sandi
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to hate or cry for
And no shaving too
Imagine all the people
Playing Elite in peace...

I am having a hard time imagining there's no Sandi but I will keep trying

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Beet Wagon posted:

I found a picture of that sun in an article about NASA studying the sun on isciencetimes.com but it doesn't actually credit NASA for the image, and tbh it's pretty unlike most of the pictures I've found in the Solar Dynamics Observatory gallery...

The sun is usually noisier. I'm guessing it's a stylised paint over.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ZenMaster posted:

I am dying.

I am dying.

I am ded

:lol:

I too am ded

Did you make this?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Toops posted:

Goonrathi: Think millenium falcon in terms of weathered, stitched together but reliable/performant/functional ships.

Sperg: Ultra slick, super-luxury ships obsessed with outward appearance, superfluous flashy crap, with no consideration about how they'll fly or perform.

Stimpire: Menacing, sleek, alien, dark, bent on destruction, etc.

Presenting the newest part of the Sperg fleet, the Böring B-70 Light Cruiser!

I was really inspired by beet wagon's post with the awful kitbashed B-17

This is the scout ship design, with a camera in the nose. My goofy idea for Sperg ships is that their designation would be wildly inflated, like a bomber is called a Dreadnought, a cargo ship is called a Battlecruiser, etc.

Lonkface
Jan 22, 2016

All that glitters is not gold.

spacetoaster posted:

Hey RYAN ARCHER, check this out!

http://imgur.com/gallery/Ij65E

I hope it reaches him. I mean, that's pretty inspiring stuff, I might even challenge myself because I've been procrastinating for ages.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scruffpuff posted:

Like a lot of religious writings, I view the original lore of the Stimpire in the same fashion. It is open to interpretation. Or if religious speak makes one uncomfortable, perhaps the writings are like Plato who scribed about Atlantis. Either way, we can only interpret the writings as-is.

I mean really, I have to imagine there are a lot of Stimperians that don't super glue their eyelids so they don't blink. Most I assume are making their way in the world. Trying to get ahead in life. Or perhaps literally a head for a trophy.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

This is the scout ship design, with a camera in the nose. My goofy idea for Sperg ships is that their designation would be wildly inflated, like a bomber is called a Dreadnought, a cargo ship is called a Battlecruiser, etc.

loving EASY CHAIR COMMAND BUBBLE YES

e: needs a little sign in the command bubble declaring it a grief free zone

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

ShredsYouSay posted:

That's good, I had the idea for reliant regal space van ala only fools and horses, featuring two brooms as the offensive weapons.

lol gently caress yeah

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

flyboi posted:

I deal with this stuff quite a bit so parts may be ambiguous just to protect myself.

So when these secret warrants are issued they're brought in by agents with the warrant chained to their hand. The only people that can see the warrant require background clearance and cannot detail the request at all to another employee. After it is read and signed the employee will then ask people within the company to assist in fulfilling the warrant while only giving information necessary to their role - I need payment info from this client from this time in a report or whatever else. Even Sr Management/execs can't know the details unless they have the clearance and were in the room when the warrant was read.

So you execute and there's very, very large letters everywhere about noting or disclosing the presence of this warrant can be considered treason.

Warranty canaries as cute as they are most likely are illegal but nobody has tested that against a company. I believe Australia flat out banned them a while back too so who knows it's only a matter of time. Also the canaries mostly being used are on section 215 of the patriot act which is requiring to hand over information in regards to a terrorist investigation. I've seen others cross my desk that had 0 relation to the patriot act at all but were still classified and gagged.

:agreed:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Scruffpuff posted:

I agree, if only because the alternative gets dangerously close to Magical Realm territory.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ZenMaster posted:

I am dying.

I am dying.

I am ded

Did you make this? The loving "Fedora Selfies" folder made me laugh so hard I had to pause it.

:master:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Can we get a dedicated griefing ship in Solar Plebian called the A'Tak?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

ZenMaster posted:

I am dying.

I am dying.

I am ded

:five: :five: :five:

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Beet Wagon posted:

For some reason I was thinking it might have been from Nuremberg but I don't think they let them wear any badging during the trials. It does look like he's had the epaulettes ripped off in that picture though.

After German Reunifaction they sold off all kinds of GDR uniforms without the rank insignia. I had a green Volkspolizei uniform without the epaulettes as a teen. Which is why I doubt it has to be a Nazi uniform.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Beet Wagon posted:

Uh oh Ryan...

omfg lmaooooo hahahahahaaaa

Mick Jaggoff
Sep 11, 2012

ZenMaster posted:

I am dying.

I am dying.

I am ded

:five::five::five::five:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

:vince:

IT'S BEAUTIFUL!!

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

ZenMaster posted:

I am dying.

I am dying.

I am ded

:five: :five: :five:

loving genius!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

no_recall posted:

Derek, will we be getting the promised accounting information after TOS 1.2 lapses?

Or is their defense that SC 2.0 PTU Alpha is the intended delivery?

Highly unlikely as that would uncover all the poo poo that I know about, but which (attorney's orders) I have been prevented from making public (outside of a lawsuit).

They have no defense against the May 31st deadline to provide accounting, refunds etc. And Spergs aren't brave enough to call them out on it. RSI/CIG know this.

But it's all moot now anyway.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Scruffpuff posted:

Another great idea. Like most great ideas, it started with a great pun, which started because of a great loser.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Beet Wagon posted:

loving EASY CHAIR COMMAND BUBBLE YES

e: needs a little sign in the command bubble declaring it a grief free zone

Can do! Presenting the pre-pre-pre alpha 4.076

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

moveable shape posted:

Chris saying 'no point in working on the old system while building the new one' seems important, anyone got a timestamp? It almost validates the Smart bomb about PU entering maintenance mode

You're clueless.

What he said, and what you just typed are actually in support of my stance that the current (old) mPU is going into maintenance mode. As I've said before, anything they add now feature-wise, is about making money.

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Oh this is good

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

ZenMaster posted:

I am dying.

I am dying.

I am ded

Thanks, Ryan! I feel like a world of creativity has opened up before me.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

D_Smart posted:

You're clueless.

What he said, and what you just typed are actually in support of my stance that the current (old) mPU is going into maintenance mode. As I've said before, anything they add now feature-wise, is about making money.

So what's the deal? Are they re-writing Star Engine? Using a different engine alltogether? Are there no engineers left to type code into computers?

Also, did you say COB today there were gonna be leavers? Should we start digging thru LinkedIn bc it's COB in the UK?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

D_Smart posted:

You're clueless.

Derek I love you but can you stop being openly rude to people for no reason?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Derek - he said validates. He's agreeing with you.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
DS is riding this high he can't even see the words anymore. Just thoughts. Emotions.

E.L.E

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

My attempt at catching up with the thread was thwarted, earlier this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I think Derek's having some reading comprehension difficulties because he's in some transcendent euphoric state brought on by all the super-secret news that we're all in the loving dark about. Come on, Derek, help a thread out. Burn their JPEG ships to ashes!

• Locked thread