Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well yeah that's the point. He's so naturally gifted that he can't fathom how Midoriya is having trouble with OFA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Well yeah that's the point. He's so naturally gifted that he can't fathom how Midoriya is having trouble with OFA.

I honestly see it as the opposite. Like, he just can't bring himself to tell the kid to stop because he sees so much of himself in him and maybe he went through something similar when he got OFA. I always read it as him viewing it that if he told Deku to stop or slow down it'd be like telling him to give up and All Might can just feel that Deku has what it takes to succeed him and become one of the best heroes ever that he is just unable to ask him to stop exploding himself, even though he knows the kid is in danger.

Either way he's still a really bad teacher though. Back during his first lesson he let Deku and Bakugou get into an almost lethal fight I think mostly because he knew that Deku wanted to prove himself and overcome who he used to be, and Bakugou nearly tried to kill him for it. I guess i'm trying to say that I view All Might's bad teaching habits as coming out of some misplaced concern for Deku and desire to see him become a hero, rather than because he doesn't understand his trouble using OFA.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I honestly see it as the opposite. Like, he just can't bring himself to tell the kid to stop because he sees so much of himself in him and maybe he went through something similar when he got OFA. I always read it as him viewing it that if he told Deku to stop or slow down it'd be like telling him to give up and All Might can just feel that Deku has what it takes to succeed him and become one of the best heroes ever that he is just unable to ask him to stop exploding himself, even though he knows the kid is in danger.

Either way he's still a really bad teacher though. Back during his first lesson he let Deku and Bakugou get into an almost lethal fight I think mostly because he knew that Deku wanted to prove himself and overcome who he used to be, and Bakugou nearly tried to kill him for it. I guess i'm trying to say that I view All Might's bad teaching habits as coming out of some misplaced concern for Deku and desire to see him become a hero, rather than because he doesn't understand his trouble using OFA.

I think Gran said something about All Might mastering it pretty easily.

He's an excellent judge of character (he sees through Shiragaki's personality, Bakugou's complex, etc.) and is well aware of his position in society (hence he's always smiling and announcing his presence to alleviate the worries of people in danger) but he's also a lovely teacher.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think Gran said something about All Might mastering it pretty easily.

He's an excellent judge of character (he sees through Shiragaki's personality, Bakugou's complex, etc.) and is well aware of his position in society (hence he's always smiling and announcing his presence to alleviate the worries of people in danger) but he's also a lovely teacher.

Should've known i'd forgotten something.

But yeah, All Might's a really cool dude and I honestly think him being around and interacting with the students and stuff is really good for the school. He just probably shouldn't be in a teaching position, especially by himself. If he had his classes with another of the teachers or he had someone else help out with his mentoring of Deku he'd probably be alright. But by himself, not so much.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My shounen memory is unrivaled in ADTRW. Show me someone who has a better memory for this useless poo poo and I'll show you a liar!!!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

My shounen memory is unrivaled in ADTRW. Show me someone who has a better memory for this useless poo poo and I'll show you a liar!!!

First you remember more about Bleach that I do and now this. :negative:

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

SyntheticPolygon posted:

First you remember more about Bleach that I do and now this. :negative:

I feel like you won by default at "know more about Bleach"

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I wish I remembered less about Bleach.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

I wish I remembered less about Bleach.

I'm here to remind you of Bleach whenever I feel like you're missing out on prime Bleach information.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
You can always try to read Fairy Tail, which is amnesia in manga form.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fabricated posted:

What happened to your duck avatar, did you get banned or something.

Also the Fairy Tail thread is now the Rave Master thread.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Fabricated posted:

It's true, I watched the Fairy Tail anime up until it went on hiatus and picked up the manga and I remember a fair amount of what I watched but nearly everything since I switched over is pretty much gone.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My shounen weakness is Naruto. I can generally find a relevant page for HxH / Bleach / Academia / Fairy Tail / One Piece within 5 to 10 minutes but not for Naruto cause I have blocked out large parts of the plot.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

What happened to your duck avatar, did you get banned or something.

Also the Fairy Tail thread is now the Rave Master thread.
I got banned for making fun of a DnD mod. Alas.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fabricated posted:

I got banned for making fun of a DnD mod. Alas.

I don't think most mods are as lenient as ours.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God bless Mod Seafood.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If All Might's method for mastering the quirk was to be as buff as hell, then Deku just really needs to stop rushing. He is muscular only by weedy teenage boy standards. He has definition but very little muscle mass. The only solutions for that are drugs and/or time.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, the correct solution is "stop rushing and stop wrecking your body." Any other answer is going to be a cop-out.

I might have been willing to overlook this as a shounen thing if the comic hadn't brought it up on its own.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
But then, it could be that since 14a gets stronger with each generation and Deku is naturally small that All Might's method for using it simply isn't physically possible for Deku. If he really needs to be even more swole than All Might that just ain't happening, ever. In that case, the special way of coping the manga keeps hinting at would be absolutely necessary. Otherwise the best Deku could hope for would be to have a moderately useful quirk until he found someone to pass it on to, which would obviously make for a lovely shounen fighting manga.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There has to be something about the quirk that lets it toughen your body.

No amount of general swoleness in a regular human body lets you eat a punch like the the one the first Noumu hit All Might with. There's a way that All Might uses OFA that lets him toughen himself- he just took to using the power like it was second nature so he doesn't understand how it works.

Midoriya figuring that out will likely be part of the next step.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
deku will overcome his limitations w/ his determination and the power of friendship

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Law Cheetah posted:

deku will overcome his limitations w/ his determination and the power of friendship

actually his determination and the power of friendship is how he keeps destroying his arms.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
thats the dumbest thing i've ever heard

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
This is Shonen, after all. Everything has to be solved with determination and the power of friendship.

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

Serious Frolicking posted:

But then, it could be that since 14a gets stronger with each generation and Deku is naturally small that All Might's method for using it simply isn't physically possible for Deku.

So this is a Rurouni Kenshin remake?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The problem with One for All in the context of a shounen manga like this is that once Deku has mastered it the story kind of inherently has to be in the "end game", because at that point literally any villain except the absolute strongest in the entire comic would be easily defeated. While his speed and strength could just gradually increase, it would be difficult to illustrate that to the reader.

Current Deku actually seems to be pretty strong; it's just that he was forced to fight against a probably-stronger-than-average seasoned villain. Like, he seems to basically have Spiderman-like strength/speed at this point and could probably handle a bunch of villains if he just became a more skilled fighter.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

AtomikKrab posted:

But Uraraka is best at CQC.

drat straight. After Gunhead's tutoring, she's an absolute BEAST in hand to hand.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

who is best at witty comebacks and quipping

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Jintor posted:

who is best at witty comebacks and quipping

All Might!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

drat straight. After Gunhead's tutoring, she's an absolute BEAST in hand to hand.

Just wish she got more of an opportunity to showcase that, though.

Would have been nice if Horikoshi found a way to incorporate her in the upcoming arc, although more Momo is always good.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Darth Walrus posted:

Just wish she got more of an opportunity to showcase that, though.

Would have been nice if Horikoshi found a way to incorporate her in the upcoming arc, although more Momo is always good.

Uraraka is going to be part of this arc somehow if the rest of the villain strike force is involved- Toga still has her blood sample.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
SPOILERS FOR THE NEWEST CHAPTER.

GUESS WHO"S NOT BECOMING A VILLAIN.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hahah what did they think would happen?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Uraraka is going to be part of this arc somehow if the rest of the villain strike force is involved- Toga still has her blood sample.

I'm guessing that'll be a weapon against Deku. Toga seems like she gets superpowers of some sort against anyone who one of her blood donors feels affection for. That, or she's just a plain ol' shapeshifter, and we'll see Uraraka but not as we know her.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm guessing that'll be a weapon against Deku. Toga seems like she gets superpowers of some sort against anyone who one of her blood donors feels affection for. That, or she's just a plain ol' shapeshifter, and we'll see Uraraka but not as we know her.

That actually makes sense, her shtick is about killing and being the people she likes / loves.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
We haven't seen anything dependent on states of mind. Affection as a prerequisite seems like more of a stand thing.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This next chapter has some stuff in it that almost makes up for most of the smartest students collectively deciding to do the dumb rescue mission despite literally everything they've learned so far.

Everyone goes in disguise. The disguises are hilarious.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Fabricated posted:

This next chapter has some stuff in it that almost makes up for most of the smartest students collectively deciding to do the dumb rescue mission despite literally everything they've learned so far.

Everyone goes in disguise. The disguises are hilarious.

You can't just say that and not post pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Korean scans of the latest chapter if you like pictures or know Korean.