Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Shbobdb posted:

So, when the Ramones set out to de-bluesify rock, was that a good thing or a bad thing, from the perspective of cultural appropriation?

At that point, it didn't matter.

Also, gently caress the Ramones.

Crowsbeak posted:

The Ramones have and always will suck.

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

zoux posted:

Upon becoming newly woke, college students usually take poo poo way too far due to a combo of youthful enthusiasm and new convert enthusiasm, as well as being teenage dumbasses. I'm lucky my ridiculous college activism occurred before the era of ubiquitous camera phones. Unfortunately it allows opponents to pretend like all liberals are like this, so you just need to keep perspective.

Yeah, no kidding. I seriously considered starting a "Islamic Jihad for Muhammad" student group as a protest against the highly influential Christian Crusade for Christ student group in college but thankfully had the sense not to go through with it.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/715593978175950849

Tomorrow is April Fool's Day...coincidence?

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Kro-Bar posted:

Tomorrow is April Fool's Day...coincidence?

He's going to endorse Bernie, isn't he.

Solfrann
Dec 28, 2015

Gravel Gravy posted:

DC brunch meetup, y'all

We need to do this before the metro shuts down for repairs and we are all teleworking for 6 months.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

subtle lynching metaphor dogg

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Gravel Gravy posted:

DC brunch meetup, y'all

Hell I'm here for a few more months for grad school, I'd be down.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crabtree posted:

But has a presidential failure ever became a successful actor?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Alien Arcana posted:

He's going to endorse Bernie, isn't he.

april fools

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Sorry Hillary, but that's 3 strikes for me. These candid emails are too damning to continue to justify supporting her.

1) Can't find Homeland on TV, despite likely having digital cable with a search function and guide button. Do we want someone too lazy to spend 5 minutes scrolling through channels to run the country?

2) Asks people to either fax her documents or print them out and bring them to her instead of just asking them to email the PDF or scan them.

3) Calling House of Cards (before season 3 was released) "bad TV," even jokingly, is unacceptable.

#NotMyPresident

P.S. Why are you emailing Huma at 12:15 AM on a Tuesday? That woman is a goddess and has enough problems to deal with. It can wait until morning!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

A Winner is Jew posted:

Good, but then again they were just stealing from the Stooges who in turn stole from MC5.

So, the whole point of avoiding racial appropriation is to keep the races separate?

That seems . . . Counter-intuitive.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Winter Rose posted:

My husband and I once got trapped on an outdoor platform on the Red Line with no shelters and not even a coffeeshop within walking distance, in the middle of a nighttime blizzard. We waited on the platform with sub-zero wind chill and snow for about an hour before getting on a train (not even one going in the right direction - we were so desperate we went backyards just to get to an underground station.) That was the day I truly started hating DC.

I've gotten stuck shivering at Metro stations before too. :sigh: does not even begin to cover it.

Solfrann posted:

We need to do this before the metro shuts down for repairs and we are all teleworking for 6 months.

They're probably going to just shut down large sections of lines, Chicago L style, and replace it with bus service. That seems entirely feasible. Shutting down an entire line would be a total transit nightmare, though.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

ayn rand hand job posted:

You need a 6 member quorum per the judiciary act of 1869

If no quorum, the court would either postpone hearing a case until next term or issue affirmations of the lower court rulings.

Or Congress could vote to alter and/or revoke said act, since it wouldn't require an amendment. Now THAT would be a fascinating fight.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"We are going voting to abolish the Supreme Court. What, are you going to rule that unconstitutional with only five members?" :smugdog:

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Shbobdb posted:

So, the whole point of avoiding racial appropriation is to keep the races separate?

Yeah seems like you end up with the same outcomes that the Birchers want

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Grundulum posted:

If Clinton wins the nomination/election, I fully expect RBG to retire at the very end of this court's session. (Probably another thing that has come up in the Supreme Court thread.) So the GOP would have to decide whether they can wait 3.5 years of a 4-year presidential term to "let the people vote" on her replacement.

RBG isn't retiring until she knows exactly who her successor is going to be and agrees that it's someone who deserves the spot.

Radish posted:

Having a 4-3 conservative majority seems like a good deal for Republicans. I'm not sure they would confirm at all in that case.

Eventually their refusal to act on that would mean President Clinton recess appoints two justices at the very least. Even if it'd only be a stopgap until one side held both congress and the white house.

Talmonis posted:

What legal or extralegal recourse does the executive have in this situation? Could they have the senate locked out of the building for the period of time it'd take to be considered in "recess"?

No, but the Congress has to recess when the new congress comes in, so a president could argue that they did recess appointments in that mandatory recess period.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

FIFA is a clearly "evil" organization like the mob or cartels, then? :raise:

Absolutely. Same with the IOC and to a lesser extent the NFL.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Shbobdb posted:

Dont overthink this, its just a double standard.

Talmonis posted:

At that point, it didn't matter.

Also, gently caress the Ramones.

This is blasphemy. I hope something bad happens to you.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Radish posted:

"We are going voting to abolish the Supreme Court. What, are you going to rule that unconstitutional with only five members?" :smugdog:

*screams into a pillow covered in political science papers about political instability and economic growth*

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Radish posted:

I'm more picturing the Senate just redefining a quorum as 5. Or 3. Or however low a number they need to not feel obligated to appoint more justices until the GOP retakes the presidency. There wouldn't technically be anything illegal for them to amend the Judiciary Act to do so, and it lets them pass the buck down the road a bit further. Politically costly, yeah, but we're already talking about a situation where they're refusing to hold hearings for 4 SCOTUS seats, so the cost honestly isn't much higher.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Combed Thunderclap posted:

They're probably going to just shut down large sections of lines, Chicago L style, and replace it with bus service. That seems entirely feasible. Shutting down an entire line would be a total transit nightmare, though.

That's what they usually do in NYC too. Apparently they'll be shutting down the L train for months at some point soon and replacing it with shuttle buses.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Not sure if this particular detail has already been discussed to death when we already talked about the Unaoil corruption scandal but confirmation that things are about to explode has arrived:

quote:

The US Department of Justice, FBI, UK National Crime Agency and Australian Federal Police are now jointly investigating Unaoil and some its multinational clients. The probe is likely to be one of the world’s biggest, given the number of companies and countries involved.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Tempest_56 posted:

I'm more picturing the Senate just redefining a quorum as 5. Or 3. Or however low a number they need to not feel obligated to appoint more justices until the GOP retakes the presidency. There wouldn't technically be anything illegal for them to amend the Judiciary Act to do so, and it lets them pass the buck down the road a bit further. Politically costly, yeah, but we're already talking about a situation where they're refusing to hold hearings for 4 SCOTUS seats, so the cost honestly isn't much higher.

Eventually Congress will become so hated that we will vote for the President to deploy the military on them.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Orrr... you could just give black artists the credit and success they deserve, and then let white artists start imitating them from that standpoint.

'Cultural appropriation' is a term in contrast with 'cultural exchange'. White people performing black people's art or adopting black people's dress isn't the problem, it's doing it in a way that marginalises, erases, and fucks over the original creators.

Elvis, in Jet magazine, 1957 posted:

'A lot of people seem to think I started this business. But rock n roll was here a long time before I came along' [...] 'Nobody can sing that kind of music like colored people'.

'Let's face it: I can't sing like Fats Domino can. I know that'.

Elvis was quite uncomfortable being called the "King of Rock n' Roll", and wanted that title applied to Domino instead.

Consider another case: Mary Poppins(1964) is one of the most beloved movies of all time, and often cited as Walt Disney's best film. It won multiple Academy awards the year it was released, and is included in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

The book is based on a novel by P.L. Travers, and she hated the film, loathed it completely and utterly. She found the animated sequences ridiculous, she hated the way that Mr. Banks was portrayed, and thought it was over all a complete travesty. The film also features Dick van Dyke performing one of the worst cockney accents in history, in addition to many other caricatures of English life and society. It would be a stretch to call the film reverential in its portrayal of the English; quaint and absurd is more like it. It took many years before Travers would consent to any other adaptations of her work, and she agreed to the now running musical on the condition that only English-born writers, and no Americans, be involved in the creative process.

Is this film culturally appropriative of English culture by an American film studio? Do Traver's objections to what was done to her work matter more than those of the critics, moviegoers, and children who have enjoyed the film for the past 50 years? Does it affect your answer to know that Disney is planning to film a sequel to the original Mary Poppins? Is putting "Based on the Mary Poppins novels by P.L. Travers" in the opening credits enough?

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 31, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

WampaLord posted:

E: VVV The DC Metro is probably the best transit system I've ever used, and that's including NYC and LA.

How in the gently caress?

When did you use it? Trust me the system has gone completely to poo poo in the last 5 years. Between the random murders/muggings, the trains catching on fire and literally killing people, the constant delays, lies from management, etc. I wouldn't trust the system to ferry a bunch of poo poo, much less actual human beings.

Also DC is a cool place and I like living here.

edit: Seriously, the Metro is a really good case study for how organizations completely fall apart. Between the management not giving a poo poo, the Union being hostile to change and letting rank and file employees do whatever, the regulators using it as a political pawn and the riding public forced to use it, it's shocking more people haven't died. The new GM is amazing and is willing to put his neck out and do really, really unpopular things to fix it.

The fact a former WMATA Board Member who did jack poo poo while she was on it ran for Mayor, won, and then immediately started saying "why isn't anyone doing anything?" when a train filled with smoke and a woman died is loving insane.

Richard Sarles should be in jail for what he did while he was in charge of the system.

axeil fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 31, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

zoux posted:

Well looks like this thread is full of a bunch of Beltway insiders

The mask finally comes off, the collective neurosis exposed.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Thank god I'm here to still be relevant after like 3 pages of DC chat!

I feel like a Tortilla Coast happy hour is the only option for the USPOL Thread, as lovely as that place is. Let's reserve the Rio room and pee in the corner.

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 31, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

axeil posted:

How in the gently caress?

When did you use it? Trust me the system has gone completely to poo poo in the last 5 years.

Yea, that would be the issue. It was over 10 years ago.

At the time, it blew me away, sucks that it's gone down the tubes. :haw:

SgtScruffy posted:

I feel like a Tortilla Coast happy hour is the only option for the USPOL Thread, as lovely as that place is. Let's reserve the Rio room and pee in the corner.

Y'all better get that pink lemonade.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Not sure if this particular detail has already been discussed to death when we already talked about the Unaoil corruption scandal but confirmation that things are about to explode has arrived:

Speaking of "world's biggest probe," does anyone know if that GOP Primary Buttplugs guy is going to cover this election?

I'm asking for a friend

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

WampaLord posted:

No, do not do this.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

SgtScruffy posted:

I'd consider flying from Seattle, while drinking the whole flight to stumble in and commit indecent exposure.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

WampaLord posted:

Yea, that would be the issue. It was over 10 years ago.

Yeah when I first moved here it was still mostly usable but ever since the Silver Line opened back in 2014 it's been a complete nose dive (and people like @unsuckdcmetro and @FixWMATA on Twitter have been point it out for years before that). I started driving the 10 minutes to work instead of taking a train 5 stops because I was sick of showing up 30 minutes late to meetings despite leaving an hour ahead of time (and yes this happened once).

The real breaking point for me was the day I said "gently caress it" and walked home and ended up beating the train. That's when I knew I was done riding the metro.

And that's not even getting into how unusable it is for nights and weekends. When I first moved here I'd metro up to U Street or Chinatown or wherever from beyond 495 and it was a shorter trip than going from Arlington to the same places. This is because the system has hilariously long waits between trains on the nights/weekends, sometimes as much as 40 minutes if you're really unlucky. It's completely unusable after about 8 PM on a weekday.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

BlueBlazer posted:

I'd consider flying from Seattle, while drinking the whole flight to stumble in and commit indecent exposure.

i look forward to reading about your scandal at the ronald reagan airport mens room

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Isn't the silver line using the same track as the blue which is casuing issues? I used it a bunch a few years ago and it wasn't that bad but it was on a semi-weekly and not daily basis.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

SgtScruffy posted:

Followed, one assumes, by TPing the District homes of various Congressmen.

Radish posted:

Isn't the silver line using the same track as the blue which is casuing issues? I used it a bunch a few years ago and it wasn't that bad but it was on a semi-weekly and not daily basis.

This is continuing a derail worse than any WMATA has demonstrated, but part of the problem is that only so many trains can go through the tunnel under the Potomac used by Blue, Orange, and now Silver. So Silver necessarily "steals" capacity from the other two.

There are many other problems too.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 31, 2016

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Not many people think to check the opposite side of the table top. Just sayin'.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Quorum posted:

Followed, one assumes, by TPing the District homes of various Congressmen.

Egg the Capitol Hill Club. Or just torch it.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Radish posted:

This should make it really clear why the Silver Line broke the system's back. Three lines on one set of tracks is never gonna work when you can barely run 2. Their "solution" was to move a bunch of Blue Line trains over to Yellow except that means you have 3 lines sharing the same track there too.

And that isn't even getting into how they only have 2 crossings of the Potomac from NoVA to DC and they simply can't fit any more trains through them. It all goes back to Georgetown balking to a Blue Line that ran through it, so they only ended up building a single tunnel out of Rosslyn.

It's a mess.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

"Today I would like to announce that those companies found to be guilty in the Unaoil case are too big to be punished. the irreparable harm done to the Middle East will only be worsened by jailing those guilty and fining the companies. Therefore I am issuing pardons for those companies and employees of said companies found guilty in the Unaoil case. I would also like to announce new sanctions on all the Middle East and a continued 'gently caress you' to the poor and exploited. Thank you."

A man can dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Hail the Great Beast, Devourer of Worlds.

• Locked thread