Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Scald is really ridiculous. Even though it has 10 less BP than Surf, it's a commonly distributed move that has a 30% chance to Burn something. The only other Fire type moves that has the same chance or a higher one are moves that only specific Pokemon can learn. There's Will O Wisp, but that move doesn't deal damage. Fire types got shafted on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
there's Lava Plume, which isn't a signature move but also isn't a TM and so doesn't have nearly as many pokemon that can learn it as Scald

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

While doing some research of some dummied out stuff, I realized that the Escape function in games has a few interesting things about it, so I'll include it in the same Side Notes as the Pokegear and the In-Game Trades and that, but if you don't want to go and find it, I'll just include it here.

Escaping

In every Pokemon game, you have the ability to run away from every wild Pokemon. This has its own unique formula:

Where A is the Speed stat of your Pokemon, B is the Speed of the opposing Pokemon divided by 4 mod 256 and C is the number of times you've tried to escape from battle, including the current attempt. If your Pokemon attacks, this is reset to 0. If the resulting calculation is more than 255, you automatically escape, otherwise the game generates a number between 0 and 255 and if that is lower than F, then you escape. Otherwise, you don't escape and you lose your turn. Also, if B is 0, then you automatically escape instead of the game self imploding.

In this gen alone, some Pokemon have a base chance to flee every turn, no matter what, unless prevented by status or moves. They're divided into three groups: Grimer, Magnemite, Tangela, Mr. Mime, Eevee, Porygon, Dratini, Dragonair, Togetic, Unown, Umbreon, Snubbull and Heracross have a 10% chance to flee, while Cubone, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Quagsire, Delibird, Teddiursa and Phanpy have a 50% chance to flee. Finally, the three legendary dogs are guaranteed to flee every turn, though Suicune has a 0% chance to flee in Crystal. Some of these Pokemon cannot be encountered normally, so their chance to flee is meaningless. The Fast Ball was meant to work on all of these Pokemon, but is bugged to only affect the first three of the first table, making it 88% less effective in catching Pokemon. Grrrrrrrreat.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Crosspeice posted:

While doing some research of some dummied out stuff, I realized that the Escape function in games has a few interesting things about it, so I'll include it in the same Side Notes as the Pokegear and the In-Game Trades and that, but if you don't want to go and find it, I'll just include it here.

Escaping

In every Pokemon game, you have the ability to run away from every wild Pokemon. This has its own unique formula:

Where A is the Speed stat of your Pokemon, B is the Speed of the opposing Pokemon divided by 4 mod 256 and C is the number of times you've tried to escape from battle, including the current attempt. If your Pokemon attacks, this is reset to 0. If the resulting calculation is more than 255, you automatically escape, otherwise the game generates a number between 0 and 255 and if that is lower than F, then you escape. Otherwise, you don't escape and you lose your turn. Also, if B is 0, then you automatically escape instead of the game self imploding.

In this gen alone, some Pokemon have a base chance to flee every turn, no matter what, unless prevented by status or moves. They're divided into three groups: Grimer, Magnemite, Tangela, Mr. Mime, Eevee, Porygon, Dratini, Dragonair, Togetic, Unown, Umbreon, Snubbull and Heracross have a 10% chance to flee, while Cubone, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Quagsire, Delibird, Teddiursa and Phanpy have a 50% chance to flee. Finally, the three legendary dogs are guaranteed to flee every turn, though Suicune has a 0% chance to flee in Crystal. Some of these Pokemon cannot be encountered normally, so their chance to flee is meaningless. The Fast Ball was meant to work on all of these Pokemon, but is bugged to only affect the first three of the first table, making it 88% less effective in catching Pokemon. Grrrrrrrreat.

Jesus, did the Kurt Balls even get Play tested? I mean the Moon Ball is more effective on freaking BURN HEAL EVOLVING POKEMON. It just feels like they weren't tested properly. (Though, I AM proud of myself for catching my Shiny Suicune from Soulsilver in a Moon Ball.)

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Silegna posted:

Jesus, did the Kurt Balls even get Play tested? I mean the Moon Ball is more effective on freaking BURN HEAL EVOLVING POKEMON. It just feels like they weren't tested properly. (Though, I AM proud of myself for catching my Shiny Suicune from Soulsilver in a Moon Ball.)
They have such subtle effects that you'd never notice anything was wrong in normal testing. You'd have to be using a debugger to step through the code specifically looking for it, and who knows if they had tools that made that practical. (You'd hope so, but it would explain a lot if they didn't.) More than that, it's possible that some of them did work when they were first implemented, and someone made a change that broke them later, which would be even harder to notice. And it's also possible that they knew they were broken, but fixing them was a low priority and never made it to the top of anyone's to-do list.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

They have such subtle effects that you'd never notice anything was wrong in normal testing. You'd have to be using a debugger to step through the code specifically looking for it, and who knows if they had tools that made that practical. (You'd hope so, but it would explain a lot if they didn't.) More than that, it's possible that some of them did work when they were first implemented, and someone made a change that broke them later, which would be even harder to notice. And it's also possible that they knew they were broken, but fixing them was a low priority and never made it to the top of anyone's to-do list.

Plus, they only have effects that matter when you first catch the pokemon (since the pokemon data did not track the kind of ball they had been caught in yet) so the only way to test the ones that affected catch rate without looking at the code was to catch pokemon with them repeatedly and plot the results. At least with the Love ball you could check whether the pokemon had its happiness set to the correct value. The only ones that worked properly were the ones that checked things other than species (Level, Lure, Friend, and Heavy) with the Love ball being the odd one out - it was misprogrammed so that it gets increased catch multiplier when the target pokemon is the same species and has the same gender as your active pokemon instead of the opposite gender.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Silegna posted:

I mean the Moon Ball is more effective on freaking BURN HEAL EVOLVING POKEMON

I don't get how this would happen. Or rather, I do, but it seems silly to make it check a flag like that instead of (if target.getSpecies()==NidoranM || NidoranF || Nidorino || Nidorina || Clefairy || Jigglypuff).

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Serperoth posted:

I don't get how this would happen. Or rather, I do, but it seems silly to make it check a flag like that instead of (if target.getSpecies()==NidoranM || NidoranF || Nidorino || Nidorina || Clefairy || Jigglypuff).
Maybe if it was added early in development and it was still possible that you were going to add more Moon Stone Pokemon later? Or the comedy option: you think, "I can't be bothered looking up the IDs for all six of those Pokemon, but I definitely know the item ID for a Moon Stone off the top of my head."

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Serperoth posted:

It's gameboy color. They coded in assembly.
So catching on these sort of things is kinda hard unless you are definitely looking for it.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 31, 2016

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It's gameboy color. They coded in assembly.
So catching on these sort of things is kinda hard unless you are definitely looking for it.

That's probably fair (I was using a more comprehensible example, I don't think ), but it's the decision that confuses me. Why circle around and explicitly say "evolves with that item" rather than "is one of these 4/6 pokemon". Or is it just to save on the multiple checks?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

Maybe if it was added early in development and it was still possible that you were going to add more Moon Stone Pokemon later?

that was certainly why, they prob thought they would be using that code for any future games so keeping it tied to Moon Stone instead of species would future-proof it (if they had done it correctly of course.

Obviously, it's hilarious in retrospect cause they completely changed the games in the 3rd generation anyway so future-proofing anything was kinda pointless

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Serperoth posted:

That's probably fair (I was using a more comprehensible example, I don't think ), but it's the decision that confuses me. Why circle around and explicitly say "evolves with that item" rather than "is one of these 4/6 pokemon". Or is it just to save on the multiple checks?

Because if you were to add new pokemons that evolved with the moon stone, you would have to remember to add that new pokemon to the ever-growing list of the Moon Ball's checks. Keep in mind that the person adding a new Moon Stone evolvable pokemon might not even be aware that the Moon Ball exists or that they have to add the new species to that list.

It's much better to have a generic function that queries which stone the pokemon that is beight caught evolves with, because you don't have that kind of error.

Of course, what probably happened is that the person that initially programmed the Moon Ball might have checked an outdated item table and hardcoded the then Moon Stone id; or, they could even have had an updated table, but they changed the table around and forgot to update Moon Ball's code; or even mistyped it. This is the kind of error that would have (hopefully) been caught nowadays with modern testing practices.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

that was certainly why, they prob thought they would be using that code for any future games so keeping it tied to Moon Stone instead of species would future-proof it (if they had done it correctly of course.

Obviously, it's hilarious in retrospect cause they completely changed the games in the 3rd generation anyway so future-proofing anything was kinda pointless
The reason I said "maybe" is because Pokemon branding is a weird thing and I can imagine they might have known exactly what all 100 new Pokemon were very early on - or at least that none of them were going to evolve with a Moon Stone. You're right that there would be another reason to do it that way if they thought they might be getting more games out of the Game Boy, though. I didn't think about that.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

Maybe if it was added early in development and it was still possible that you were going to add more Moon Stone Pokemon later? Or the comedy option: you think, "I can't be bothered looking up the IDs for all six of those Pokemon, but I definitely know the item ID for a Moon Stone off the top of my head."

I still think Umbreon and Espeon should be Sun and Moon Stone....

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.

Silegna posted:

I thought they did for the longest time when I originally acquired Crystal. When they didn't, I was stumped as to how to acquire the new Eeveelutions shown off by the Kimono Girls. It took forever for me to figure out these night/day happiness evolutions...

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Silegna posted:

While the former may have been possible, for some reason, Game Freak likes to keep things consistent in regards to evolutions between generations. Using a Moon Stone to evolve Eevee into Umbreon isn't a thing they would have done because doing it RBY would've had no effect. It's why Gen IV had some really convoluted evolution methods for old Pokemon. Though they did slip up with Piloswine's evolution method, as it was capable of learning Ancient Power in Gen II.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like that that led them to having to always include a cold rock, a mossy rock, and some place with wacky magnetism.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Though they did slip up with Piloswine's evolution method, as it was capable of learning Ancient Power in Gen II.

Lickitung could also learn rollout in Gen II through TM. The dumb explanation that the fandom has come up with for it is that those two need to learn the move naturally and figure it out themselves in order to evolve, they can't have it taught to them/been born with it, which is obviously just dumb justification but sort of works.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Dr. Fetus posted:

While the former may have been possible, for some reason, Game Freak likes to keep things consistent in regards to evolutions between generations. Using a Moon Stone to evolve Eevee into Umbreon isn't a thing they would have done because doing it RBY would've had no effect. It's why Gen IV had some really convoluted evolution methods for old Pokemon. Though they did slip up with Piloswine's evolution method, as it was capable of learning Ancient Power in Gen II.
I feel like they should bite the bullet and condense evolution items down & streamline the various methods, since it's getting really bloated. Especially since they don't seem to like using old evolution items for new Pokemon. (The Gen 1 stones mostly evolve Gen 1 Pokemon, the various held items are almost never shared, etc)

Considering how bad they are at having major features in more than one game, it's kinda weird that this is the one thing they refuse to change.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Haifisch posted:

I feel like they should bite the bullet and condense evolution items down & streamline the various methods, since it's getting really bloated. Especially since they don't seem to like using old evolution items for new Pokemon. (The Gen 1 stones mostly evolve Gen 1 Pokemon, the various held items are almost never shared, etc)

Considering how bad they are at having major features in more than one game, it's kinda weird that this is the one thing they refuse to change.

The stones are fine since gen 5 & 6 decided to actually reuse the ones already there instead of just keep adding more.

But they really need to introduce either a condensed trade item or get rid of all the trade items and just have them evolve through trade normally.
There's ~14 trade items and only 2 of those (Metal Coat, King's Rock) are used by multiple pokemon. Though I guess that might be for the best considering its a pain to get most of them once, much less in bulk
Condense the Incenses too, while we're at it. Or remove them entirely since by this point baby pokemon rarely have a reason to be specifically bred & the past few games have just shoved them all into a single shop.

And, while not trade evolutions, there's no good reason for Sneasle & Gligar to use different items.

you could write an essay on the bizarre evolution item policies gamefreak's followed

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

rannum posted:

The stones are fine since gen 5 & 6 decided to actually reuse the ones already there instead of just keep adding more.

That's because in Gen V, all the Pokemon introduced were divorced from the rest of the Gens. It was almost the case for Gen VI, but Sylveon was the only exception, and it doesn't have too crazy of an evolution method..

Some evolution methods were pretty out there, even in Gen V and Gen VI, but you can tell they were really reaching in Gen IV, considering how many evolution methods were different variants of each other.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

That's because in Gen V, all the Pokemon introduced were divorced from the rest of the Gens. It was almost the case for Gen VI, but Sylveon was the only exception, and it doesn't have too crazy of an evolution method..

Some evolution methods were pretty out there, even in Gen V and Gen VI, but you can tell they were really reaching in Gen IV, considering how many evolution methods were different variants of each other.

What's odd, is the fact you can't get Magnezone, Leafeon, and Glaceon in the Johto Remakes, (Despite them being used by the Kimono Girls, I think.) Due to the fact, they didn't put an Icy/Mossy Rock, and Magnezone needed Mt. Coronet. Why do they do that?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Because gen 2 didn't have icy rocks, mossy rocks or magnetic areas, of course! Thankfully they grew out of this particular idiocy for the gen 3 remakes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dabir posted:

Because gen 2 didn't have icy rocks, mossy rocks or magnetic areas, of course! Thankfully they grew out of this particular idiocy for the gen 3 remakes.

One step at a time. FRLG didn't even allow you to evolve into non-Kanto Pokemon (seen best with Golbat), so HGSS was a step in the right direction by revamping the Pokedex.

That said yeah, just condense all the stupid item bullshit please. It's insanely annoying to evolve some Pokemon because they're always hard to get. Just make one "Evolver" item or whatever. Also fuse all the Mega Stones into one because if they'll keep adding Megas, getting all of them will get really annoying.

And I have no idea how the hell Sylveon will work now since knowing Gamefreak Pokemon Amie is not going to come back.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

One step at a time. FRLG didn't even allow you to evolve into non-Kanto Pokemon (seen best with Golbat), so HGSS was a step in the right direction by revamping the Pokedex.

That said yeah, just condense all the stupid item bullshit please. It's insanely annoying to evolve some Pokemon because they're always hard to get. Just make one "Evolver" item or whatever. Also fuse all the Mega Stones into one because if they'll keep adding Megas, getting all of them will get really annoying.

And I have no idea how the hell Sylveon will work now since knowing Gamefreak Pokemon Amie is not going to come back.

Sylveon will probably just gain an item it uses instead. Sort of like how Feebas can become Milotic through the Prism scale

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

rannum posted:

Sylveon will probably just gain an item it uses instead. Sort of like how Feebas can become Milotic through the Prism scale

Though they're probably gonna keep it so that if it fulfilled the qualifications of the old evo method somehow, it''ll still be able to evolve. If you transfer a Feebas from Gen III or IV with a high enough beauty stat to Gen V, it can still evolve once it gains a level.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Blaze Dragon posted:

Too bad the obvious method(Friendship) is already taken by Espeon and Umbreon. :v: Oh well, look forward to another tacked-on evo item in Gen 7!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Eh, Sylveon does need to learn a Fairy-type move to evolve in addition to the Amie thing, doesn't it? If they *do* get rid of Amie, they'll probably just simplify it to just levelling up with a Fairy-type move.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

I've said this before, but Pokemon is in dire need of fat-trimming. There are way too many abandoned systems and items and completely worthless moves and redundant abilities. I'm hoping Sun/Moon fixes a lot of these things, but I'm not holding my breath.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Skyridge posted:

I've said this before, but Pokemon is in dire need of fat-trimming. There are way too many abandoned systems and items and completely worthless moves and redundant abilities. I'm hoping Sun/Moon fixes a lot of these things, but I'm not holding my breath.

One example that sticks out to me was Reuinclus getting Overcoat in Gen V. It's a little less redundant in Gen VI and vital if you're using it in doubles, but in Gen V, it was flat out a worse version of Magic Guard. Though Gen VI did prove that Gamefreak is willing to make big changes for the sake of balance. Case in point, introducing the Fairy type, because the Dragon type was just plain broken in Gen V.

Speaking of which, I forget. Were Dragons good in this generation? I know they started getting crazy strong around Gen IV, but they were kind of just there in Gen I.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 1, 2016

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Well, in Gen I the only dragon attack was fixed damage, and there was only the one line of dragons, so they were kind of in the same boat as ghosts.

In Gen II? I recall them getting a few more attacks, Twister I think was one of them, but I don't remember them getting anything really earth shattering for their type.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Dragonbreath was decent-ish(60 power, chance of causing paralysis). There was Outrage too, but it was just Dragon-type Thrash.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Outrage is fairly decent, but there's only four Dragon types anyway, but Dragon is pretty good offensively since it's only resisted by Steel. But of course the one Pokemon that could really use a nice STAB Outrage (Kingdra) can't learn it until Gen 4, where it's now physical and kinda helpful as a counterpoint to Draco Meteor, since Kingdra has some whacked stat distribution. Charmander and Larvitar learning it via breeding is kinda helpful, but not exactly necessary.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 09: In This Dark, Dark Forest...

Azalea Town

I think we're about done with this town for now, so off we go, with no distractions.

Rival Challenge

"returned?"

: What? You beat them? Hah! Quite lying! You're not joking? Then let's see how good you are.

Rival Battle

Second battle against the rival. Let's see what his team is.

Well the first member isn't too impressive. Maybe later.

Hmm, nothing too impressive so far, but it's still early days. Bite (Kamisuku) is now a Dark move with 60BP, 25PP and 100% accuracy with a 30% chance to flinch. Due to the type change from Normal, it's now a special move instead of a physical one, which makes it an interesting fit in some Pokemon's movesets and pointless in others.

After a bit of a tussle, it goes down.

And a good level up for Jeremiah. Doubleslap (Ōfuku Binta: Round Trip Slap) is one of them lovely Normal multi-hit moves, with 15BP, 10PP and 85% accuracy that can hit between 2-5 times. Like most of the multi-hit moves, they're pretty eh, not much point using them unless you have no other choice. Like right now.

HP: 65 | ATK: 80 | DEF: 80 | SP.ATK: 59 | SP.DEF: 63 | SPD: 58 | TOTAL: 405
#008: Croconaw

And for completionist sake:

HP: 60 | ATK: 62 | DEF: 80 | SP.ATK: 63 | SP.DEF: 80 | SPD: 60 | TOTAL: 405
#002: Bayleef

drat confusion. The evolved starter might be a bit of a challenge depending on which one it is. They're all equally dangerous and annoying, especially with my current team composition. So it's up to Jeremiah to save the day with her new move, cause it's the only one that'll actually do some damage to it.

Oh we're gonna be here a while...

A reeeeeeeal long while.

Eventually it gets whittled down.

And finally defeated. Sheesh.

: Listen, you. You only won because my POKéMON were weak.

: POKéMON, trainers. It doesn't matter who are what. I'm going to be strong and wipe out the weak. That goes for TEAM ROCKET too. They act big and tough in a group. But get them alone, and they're weak. I hate them all. You stay out of my way. A weakling like you is only a distraction.

That kid really needs a hug, goddamn.

"Don't get lost."

Quick heal up and let's head into Ilex Forest.

"its protector."

: Stay out of mischief!

Ilex Forest

It's pretty dark in this forest, no matter the time. Though Pokemon do differ depending on the period of day.

Hopefully we'll find some good stuff. But not in this instance.

"steaming..."

: The FARFETCH'D that CUTS trees for charcoal took off on me. I can't go looking for it here in the ILEX FOREST. It's too big, dark and scary for me...

I'd best go be a man and do it for you then.

Oh. That was easy.

Guess we need to chase it then...

Jeremiah... my heart...

There's quite a few Pokemon to catch here, but not too much new, since we did just go through a Bug gym.

So we need to go through the entire forest shepherding the missing Pokemon through specific positioning.

It'll go in the opposite direction to where you are, if it can, so keep that in mind for later.

Please don't be this way...

And both of the cocoons are ours.

That's all I'm interested in in this time period, so let's get spraying.

Nice, nice.

Nearly done. If we talk to it here, then it won't head down the right hand side path and instead go the opposite of where we are.

: My boss's POKéMON won't obey me because I don't have a BADGE.

: Without it, we wouldn't be able to CUT trees for charcoal. Thanks, kid! Now how can I thank you... I know! Here, take this.

: That's the CUT HM. Teach that to a POKéMON to clear small trees. Of course, you have to have the GYM BADGE from AZALEA to use it.

: Do you want to apprentice as a charcoal maker with me? You'll be first-rate in ten years!

Hmm, might take you up on that.

: That takes guts! I like that. Come train with us.

: This is CHARCOAL that I made. Fire-type POKéMON would be happy to hold that.

: The SLOWPOKE came back, and you even found FARFETCH'D. You're the coolest, man!

Aww, well. I try. Anyway, the Charcoal is indeed good for Fire types to hold, boosting their Fire moves by 10%. However, doing so is a terrible idea.

Since we can buy it for a large price, we can also sell it for a large price also. I would always recommend you do this, since your MOM does siphon off a fair chunk of cash. Now we shouldn't have money problems for a long while.

Now as night falls, it's time to teach Cut to Kakarott, since it can spare a moveslot. Cut (Iai Giri: Iai Cut) is not a great move to saddle a team member with, since it only has 50BP, 30PP and 95% accuracy. But hey, it's a slight improvement to what we have.

Might as well keep Tackle, cause I don't wanna waste some Cut PP when an enemy's at low health.

At night time, some more creatures come out.

HP: 45 | ATK: 50 | DEF: 55 | SP.ATK: 75 | SP.DEF: 65 | SPD: 30 | TOTAL: 320
#083: Oddish

Ah, cheeky bugger. Absorb (Suitoru) is a weak Grass move with 20BP, 20PP and 100% accuracy that restores 50% of the damage done to the user, rounded up. There's two much better variations of this move, so this is just the first step.

Maybe now it'll stop wandering around so much.

Hello again.

You're mine now.

HP: 50 | ATK: 52 | DEF: 48 | SP.ATK: 65 | SP.DEF: 50 | SPD: 55 | TOTAL: 320
#138: Psyduck

I just enjoy all the different colours the Pokeball becomes when I catch stuff.

HP: 60 | ATK: 55 | DEF: 50 | SP.ATK: 40 | SP.DEF: 55 | SPD: 45 | TOTAL: 305
#108: Venonat

Look, just cause I can spend money on Pokeballs, doesn't mean I want to.

And that's everything in Ilex Forest. For now. Because of course there's more.

Now it's time to actually level up some of our own Pokemon so they evolve. The same rules from last LP still apply for most cases: we need to see the Pokemon and/or our team actually reaches that level. I'll be deciding with most cases and since we've been catching a lot of Pokemon recently I've wanted to cut down on all the analysis I'd have to do. So we'll do a few now.

Evolution time!

HP: 60 | ATK: 45 | DEF: 50 | SP.ATK: 80 | SP.DEF: 80 | SPD: 70 | TOTAL: 385
#026: Butterfree

Anyway, I believe I forgot to call my mother. Let's see what she has to say.

: Oh, so you're in AZALEA TOWN... Isn't there where SLOWPOKE WELL is? Did you go take a look?

And then she asks about saving money, which we'll be doing for the entire game, since we might as well.

Anyway, let's move onwards, to the second half of the forest.

"protector..."

Hmm. Well I'm sure this place has nothing important going on.

: Please watch out for items that may have been dropped.

Signs can be so useful sometimes.

There's also more items scattered around.

As an aside, the instructions on Bulbapedia to find these items are terrible.

: I'm shaking trees using HEADBUTT. It's fun. Here, you try it too!

: Rattle trees with HEADBUTT. Sometimes, sleeping POKéMON fall out.

We'll be going over Headbutt (Zutsuki) a lot more next update. But right now, it's a pretty good Normal move with 70BP, 15PP and 100% accuracy with a 30% chance to flinch. This can be a good move for some Pokemon that could really use a good Normal move in the early game. We'll be making use of this, oh yes..

And for whatever reason, in Crystal and Crystal alone, there's a trainer here.

He's exactly as notable as you'd expect.

"HEADBUTT."

: I ought to use HEADBUTT in other places too.

Bulbapedia doesn't even have this hidden item listed. Makes me wonder how many other items I've missed because of them. But regardless, we've made it out of the forest.

: It must be hard if POKéMON won't appear. Try using this TM.

: It's SWEET SCENT. Use it wherever POKéMON appear. POKéMON will be enticed by it.

That's exactly what it does. In battle, Sweet Scent (Amaikaori) is a Normal status move with 20PP and 100% accuracy that lowers evasion by one stage. Out of battle, it will cause a wild Pokemon to appear, if you're in an area where an encounter can occur. As some fun trivia, originally, this lady would have given you some Honey to attract wild Pokemon to certain trees, as it's still in the text dump. This would become a feature in the Gen 4 games and the Headbutt mechanic, as well as Sweet Scent, may have been extrapolated from it. Here is all the text relating to honey in the Crystal text dump.

But hey, we've made it to Route 34, which we'll explore in the next update.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 8, 2016

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

April Fools! It's an actual update, crazy!

Anyway, happy 19th birthday, the Pokemon anime. May you be a strange, pointless creation that keeps Ash 10 for another 19 more years.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I just want to say that your remark about swans having psyhic powers is completely wrong.
With their snake-like necks, they're clearly poison type :colbert:

Also I never figured if there was anything to the Ilex Shrine in Gen 2, was it some Japanese only type of event with a special kind of Celebi or something like that? I know that there's such a thing in the remakes (and gently caress that's a lot stuff hidden behind some hopps to jump through), but never figured it out in Gen 2. Although there was a rumour going around my school that you needed to head there on the 100th hour of your save, but I can't remember what would happen (possibly Celebi would appear) or if there were any other parts to that rumour.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.

Kikas posted:

Also I never figured if there was anything to the Ilex Shrine in Gen 2, was it some Japanese only type of event with a special kind of Celebi or something like that? I know that there's such a thing in the remakes (and gently caress that's a lot stuff hidden behind some hopps to jump through), but never figured it out in Gen 2. Although there was a rumour going around my school that you needed to head there on the 100th hour of your save, but I can't remember what would happen (possibly Celebi would appear) or if there were any other parts to that rumour.

In Japan there was this online service you could access by linking your GBC to a mobile phone so you could download the GS ball. You give it to Kurt for a day and then take it to the Shrine and you'd get a Celebi encounter. The first in a long line of event items that continue to this day.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah there's a lot to go over when we get to Goldenrod. In both Gen 2, the Japanese versions, the remakes and their Japanese versions. Right now, it only looks like 2 updates, but we'll see.

(And researching all of that got me reading about the e-Reader stuff and that's an ever BIGGER rabbit hole, yeesh)

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I love all the weird eReader functionality that no one ever saw.

Did you know the Enigma Berry in Ruby/Sapphire (and R/S only!) could be changed into different ones with eCards? Okay, maybe then that that seemingly pointless Trainer Tower in FR/LG could be modified with e-Cards? How about adding three extra Shadow Pokémon to Pokémon Colosseum? Not quite obscure enough, you say? What about adding painting features to Pokémon Channel then? The eReader was bizarre.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Apr 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I love all the weird eReader functionality that no one ever saw.

Did you know the Enigma Berry in Ruby/Sapphire (and R/S only!) could be changed into different ones with eCards? Okay, maybe then that that seemingly pointless Trainer Tower in FR/LG could be modified with e-Cards? How about adding three extra Shadow Pokémon to Pokémon Colosseum? Not quite obscure enough, you say? What about adding painting features to Pokémon Channel then? The eReader was bizarre.

I knew about the Engima Berry thing, but none of that other stuff.

The only eReader cards I had was the Eon Ticket (which is still floating around my room somewhere), and a couple of the promo TCG cards from that period in time where all the cards had eReader functionality. Which was... weird.

• Locked thread