Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

zen death robot posted:

the most self-righteous team in Baseball, the St Louis Cardinals

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Yodzilla posted:

what the gently caress happened here

Please read my posts in this thread, thank you.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

zen death robot posted:

Too bad you're locked in the same division as the best team in Baseball, the St Louis Cardinals

Weird way to spell "Cubs," but I'm sure the Pirates will continue to be competitive.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Citizen Tayne posted:

Weird way to spell "Cubs," but I'm sure the Pirates will continue to be competitive.

gently caress the cubs for destroying kang's knee and maddon playing it off as 'plantar fasciitis.' i hope clint doles retribution this year

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Aceofblue posted:

I have heard good things about Hokkaido, and that you need to fast for like, the entire day prior to eating there. I'll have to check it out sometime. I'm a little wary of a "seafood buffet" in anywhere that's not on a coast or major lake, but I guess we do get fresh poo poo shipped in so it's probably okay.

Tokyo was super good and the only reason to go to McKnight Rd. Not sure why it's closed, the place was always packed every time I went.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

graph posted:

Please read my posts in this thread, thank you.

So are you actually like from Pittsburgh or is this the Tayne thing-

also this really isn't that funny of a gag dude. Just saying.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

graph posted:

gently caress the cubs for destroying kang's knee and maddon playing it off as 'plantar fasciitis.' i hope clint doles retribution this year

Madden got Coghlan out of the division, probably for his own good. Still a prick.

Dollar hot dog night at PNC Park on Tuesday. What an amazing city.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Fabricated posted:

So are you actually like from Pittsburgh or is this the Tayne thing-

also this really isn't that funny of a gag dude. Just saying.

The games babies are mad about Pittsburgh and how good it is.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
what are cool things to see/do in pittsburgh? i know there are some rad breweries and distilleries but aside from that i've come up with

- warhol museum
- phipps conservatory
- nationality rooms?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Fabricated posted:

So are you actually like from Pittsburgh

yes

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Citizen Tayne posted:

The games babies are mad about Pittsburgh and how good it is.
I've never actually been to Pittsburgh- like I know you love the place or whatever but is the baseball scene there like good for casual fans who may just catch a game or two sometimes

I'm not really a huge baseball fan but I spent a vacation at a friends place in chicago and the cubs games were pretty fun to go to

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Fabricated posted:

I've never actually been to Pittsburgh- like I know you love the place or whatever but is the baseball scene there like good for casual fans who may just catch a game or two sometimes

I'm not really a huge baseball fan but I spent a vacation at a friends place in chicago and the cubs games were pretty fun to go to

pnc park is loving awesome

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Yodzilla posted:

what are cool things to see/do in pittsburgh? i know there are some rad breweries and distilleries but aside from that i've come up with

- warhol museum
- phipps conservatory
- nationality rooms?

- Three major league sports teams and all the arenas are within walking distance of each other
- Carnegie Museums
- O'Reilly Theater if you like stage
- Check out Heinz Hall just once, it's a gorgeous old palace
- Hike the city stairs, some of them are insane
- Go people-watching at Spirit in Lawrenceville

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
current pittsburgh status: sprinkled a bit, but pretty nice outside now, been seeing multiple groups of [1 or 2 parents, presumably prospective student visiting this campus, and optional younger sibling(s)] wandering around aimlessly

hope u enjoy the update :)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Lysidas posted:

current pittsburgh status: sprinkled a bit, but pretty nice outside now, been seeing multiple groups of [1 or 2 parents, presumably prospective student visiting this campus, and optional younger sibling(s)] wandering around aimlessly

hope u enjoy the update :)

it's cool you ended up there. pittsburgh is a good place to be. keep it rust belt

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Fabricated posted:

If you're lucky enough to work downtown, you can leave work and walk over the Clemente bridge and get a same day ticket at the park for $16 or so and catch a game at the most beautiful park in America. I do that a lot during baseball season. The scene is good, lots of fair weather fans but they aren't nasty and aggressive like Steelers fans can be.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
one thing i dont like now about the pittsburgh skyline is how one company got the idea to put their sign at the top of one then everybody did it. looks like fuckign tacky poo poo

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
hey

check this out

BAESBALL

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

graph posted:

one thing i dont like now about the pittsburgh skyline is how one company got the idea to put their sign at the top of one then everybody did it. looks like fuckign tacky poo poo

Remove all signs and let the Pittsburgh skyline stand out on its own merits imho.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Citizen Tayne posted:

Remove all signs and let the Pittsburgh skyline stand out on its own merits imho.

heres youre sign

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Citizen Tayne posted:

If you're lucky enough to work downtown, you can leave work and walk over the Clemente bridge and get a same day ticket at the park for $16 or so and catch a game at the most beautiful park in America. I do that a lot during baseball season. The scene is good, lots of fair weather fans but they aren't nasty and aggressive like Steelers fans can be.

I know that has some photoshop magic going on but that's actually a really nice view.

I dunno what it is since I can't watch baseball on TV unless its the world series but actually I've always had a pretty good time going to games

I used to go to AAA games at my brother's old place and those were cool too

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

as the op of this thread my love of pittsburgh is legendary

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

graph posted:

it's cool you ended up there. pittsburgh is a good place to be. keep it rust belt

yeah i cant believe i got this job. it was very lucky too, because my wife is from cleveland, and we met in my last year of undergrad there (she was a junior) and then she got a job in pittsburgh after graudation and we did long-distance for a while, so for about 4 years we were living closer to each others parents than our own families

then a guy i knew from grad school, who was in this group, recommended me to the PI and i interviewed here and everything worked out perfectly

we have a great deal on an apartment too, and are going to stay here for as long as we live in pittsburgh, but the prices of the new apartments everywhere are kind of ridiculous

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
upmc is now gradually raising its minimum wage to $15/hr, which seems like it might actually manage to simply help working people and not inflate the housing market, unlike the salaries from google et al

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it
has anyone ever been to gaucho parrilla argentina? I would give my eyeteeth to try it.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Fabricated posted:

I know that has some photoshop magic going on but that's actually a really nice view.

I dunno what it is since I can't watch baseball on TV unless its the world series but actually I've always had a pretty good time going to games

I used to go to AAA games at my brother's old place and those were cool too

The park is carefully positioned for maximum effect. I just walked over and took this picture from the other side of the Allegheny:

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Lysidas posted:

yeah i cant believe i got this job. it was very lucky too, because my wife is from cleveland, and we met in my last year of undergrad there (she was a junior) and then she got a job in pittsburgh after graudation and we did long-distance for a while, so for about 4 years we were living closer to each others parents than our own families

then a guy i knew from grad school, who was in this group, recommended me to the PI and i interviewed here and everything worked out perfectly

we have a great deal on an apartment too, and are going to stay here for as long as we live in pittsburgh, but the prices of the new apartments everywhere are kind of ridiculous

My mortgage payment on a 1800 sq ft house a 17 minute T ride from downtown is $770 a month. Pretty deece.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
I believe you'll find there is only one good team in all of sports called the cardinals. sadly they were not as good as the steelers in their Super Bowl battle

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

born on a buy you posted:

I believe you'll find there is only one good team in all of sports called the cardinals. sadly they were not as good as the steelers in their Super Bowl battle

where was warner's god when harrison pick sixed that mf

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
covering the refs eyes on the obvious block on the back against Fitzgerald at mid field.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Tin Gang posted:

has anyone ever been to gaucho parrilla argentina? I would give my eyeteeth to try it.

I haven't been there yet but I hear it's great. There are always more places to try than I have time or space at my waistline in Pittsburgh.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

covering the refs eyes on the obvious block on the back against Fitzgerald at mid field.

i dont see any block in the back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqnQwKAI4OE

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Citizen Tayne posted:

I haven't been there yet but I hear it's great. There are always more places to try than I have time or space at my waistline in Pittsburgh.

RIP the kleiner deutschmann :(

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
At the intersection of the Pirates and YOSPOS we have this

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

graph posted:

RIP the kleiner deutschmann :(

I never got to go there, for German Max's Allegheny Tavern is my jam

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

:17-:18 where he's pushed down from behind right in front of harrison.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
also gently caress you for making me rewatch that sickening display.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

also gently caress you for making me rewatch that sickening display.

My heart swells with pride for my Pittsburgh Steelers when I see that again.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

:17-:18 where he's pushed down from behind right in front of harrison.

the steeler defender does not push him from behind though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
here's a fun fact about pittsburgh:

the population density is over 5540 per square mile, which is only 5520 too many people per square mile

here's another pittsburgh fact:

pittsburgh is located east of the rockies and west of the pacific coastline of north america, which means it and its inhabitants are, by simple accident of geography, excluded from the moral universe

• Locked thread