Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I mean, given the critical evaluation of it, this actually sounds 100% plausible? I remember hearing that, while crew screenings went well, test screenings to the public got mildly positive reactions at best.

Barring an unprecedented 2nd week drop off, BvS is going to do fine.

Timby posted:

Except BvS had already been crushing advance ticket sales records when Faraci published his semi-weekly "I hate WB" screed.
Edit: Quoting this for the new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

Except BvS had already been crushing advance ticket sales records when Faraci published his semi-weekly "I hate WB" screed.

And JL actually started filming early.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

That doesn't make it any less likely that they were scared of the possibility of it bombing. It just worked out well for them.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

Guy A. Person posted:

That sounds like such a huge crock of poo poo.

It most likely is, like pretty much everything Warner was "leaking" before BvS was released.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

LORD OF BUTT posted:

That doesn't make it any less likely that they were scared of the possibility of it bombing. It just worked out well for them.

There's being kind of worried and then there's the state of abject panic that replacing a director and rewriting 3-4 movies implies. One of them is a literal fevered wet dream by a piece of human excrement.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I didnt realize at first but this is actually really gross

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Is WB happy with "fine" though?

It's not likely it's going to make as much as either Avengers movie.

Like, this is a movie with 3 of the biggest comic book characters ever, and it's not going to surpass Iron Man 3. I figure there's gotta be some disappointment on their end.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Like, this is a movie with 3 of the biggest comic book characters ever, and it's not going to surpass Iron Man 3. I figure there's gotta be some disappointment on their end.

It's doing the best of any movie featuring either Batman or Superman. It took Iron Man time to build up too, which is why you're having to compare it to the third, fourth, and sixth movies in his series to suggest it's doing poorly, rather than the first or second.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's doing the best of any movie featuring either Batman or Superman. It took Iron Man time to build up too, which is why you're having to compare it to the third, fourth, and sixth movies in his series to suggest it's doing poorly, rather than the first or second.

It will probably not beat out The Dark Knight or The Dark Knight Rises.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Do we even have the numbers to project a final box office though? I know there was some buzz about the Friday to Sunday dropoff but Sunday was also Easter and then it had a larger than average Monday.

I agree it likely won't make as much as either Avengers but as far as "disappointment" I feel like their bigger disappointment is that they have sat on these characters for so long while Marvel was raking in the money. If their expectations were that they were going to outperform a franchise that has been building since 2008 just by throwing Batman and Superman into a movie I feel like those were poorly managed expectations.

At this point for them it is likely less about consistently beating Marvel and more about cranking out 2 high grossing movies a year. If they panic just because they aren't making Marvel money right out of the gate then they're incredibly foolish and they won't be able to maintain a consistent franchise for the next decade anyway.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It opened bigger than either both domestically and worldwide, but I guess we'll see.

Guy A. Person posted:

If their expectations were that they were going to outperform a franchise that has been building since 2008 just by throwing Batman and Superman into a movie I feel like those were poorly managed expectations.

Yeah, people are like "3 of the biggest comic book characters ever," and I kinda react like people are claiming that the Fred movie should have been massive because he's one of the biggest YouTube stars of all time.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It feels to me like the 'will it beat Marvel?!" is a fan thing first and foremost - WB would love to thump their chest about it, but ultimately they just want to make a solid chunk of money regularly. BvS seems poised to do that. JL will still have the cachet that 2012 Avengers had of heroes without a lengthy film history that Batman and Superman have, brought together in a big-budget film for the first time. They can't be gunshy the way reports paint them to be because you'll be rebooting your universe for decades before the first/second film smash all-time records. Especially if the WW movie is done well, JL could be a pretty major draw because Avengers becomes more familiar with each installment - DC is more unpredictable in how they'll play things, for better or worse (suicide squad humor-ifying rumors nonwithstanding).

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Man if you've dumped half a billion into the production and marketing of a movie, I feel like being scared about it bombing is "a basic and expected human reaction", so those are some pretty weak rear end goalposts

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, people are like "3 of the biggest comic book characters ever," and I kinda react like people are claiming that the Fred movie should have been massive because he's one of the biggest YouTube stars of all time.

Batman has had 7 major films released in the past 30 years, and been featured in a slew of cartoons and television shows throughout his existence. Superman isn't just a comic book character, but has been a cultural icon pretty much since he was created.

Iron Man was a B-list character.

So earlier you were arguing it took Iron Man time to build up. He was built from a B-list property to what he is now in less than a decade because of the films.

So I don't get your argument either way. Either Batman and Superman's prior films don't count and you have to treat it like nobody ever heard of them before, or you should count their films because they each have had at least three, four, or six movies with them as the leads.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

So I don't get your argument either way. Either Batman and Superman's prior films don't count and you have to treat it like nobody ever heard of them before, or you should count their films because they each have had at least three, four, or six movies with them as the leads.

It's not cleanly one or the other. Movies featuring a character named "Batman" have existed before, but it's not this Batman. So you get some of the benefits (and drawbacks) of a sequel, but not all of them. So the movie showing up somewhere between Iron Man as a fully-established character and Iron Man as a relatively-obscure character seems about right. BvS is performing in the ballpark of what you'd expect.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

At this point for them it is likely less about consistently beating Marvel and more about cranking out 2 high grossing movies a year. If they panic just because they aren't making Marvel money right out of the gate then they're incredibly foolish and they won't be able to maintain a consistent franchise for the next decade anyway.

The biggest problem with BvS is that it used up so much material for one film, they litteraly could have made 2 or 3 flicks out of it. And that's without accounting for the potential "build up" movies.

Who wants to see Batfleck fight scarecrow or the riddler after he beat superman and helped beat Doomsday? Its a no contest, not that it really ever was.

They really didn't think about it long term, they wanted to cash in right now, wich they will but they lost a lot of potential money in the long term.

edit: Theres always reboots, DC comics reboots happen every few years so most fans will be ok with it. As far as I know, Warner didn't have the main cast sign life contracts either so its probably in the plans already.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNZove4OTtI

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Viller posted:

Who wants to see Batfleck fight scarecrow or the riddler after he beat superman and helped beat Doomsday? Its a no contest, not that it really ever was.

I do.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Viller posted:

Plenty of people enjoying Captain America fighting a dude with a mechanical arm after he helped take down a massive army of aliens led by a god. Many of us preferred it. And get this, in both cases the latter was when he was teamed-up with another god, whereas in the former he was mostly on his own.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Why is it the only way a lot of people seem to envision a challenge to a superhero is "how hard can he punch? He punched that hard? Ergo he wins every fight why would anyone want to see anything less?"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ImpAtom posted:

Why is it the only way a lot of people seem to envision a challenge to a superhero is "how hard can he punch? He punched that hard? Ergo he wins every fight why would anyone want to see anything less?"

Because emotional conflict is un-fun.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

Plenty of people enjoying Captain America fighting a dude with a mechanical arm after he helped take down a massive army of aliens led by a god. Many of us preferred it. And get this, in both cases the latter was when he was teamed-up with another god, whereas in the former he was mostly on his own.

Winter Soldier was Captain America's equal, pretty much. Not a living god. Avengers beat loki and ultron, not Cap by himself...

ImpAtom posted:

You can have a superhero being out smarted but still need splosions... And if you go by MoS and BvS(or the nature of these films), Warner likes them explosions.

Viller fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 31, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Viller posted:

Winter Soldier was Captain America's equal, pretty much. Not a living god. Avengers beat loki and ultron, not Cap by himself...

So you agree that the complaint is stupid and ridiculous?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

broken clock opsec posted:

There's being kind of worried and then there's the state of abject panic that replacing a director and rewriting 3-4 movies implies. One of them is a literal fevered wet dream by a piece of human excrement.

Haha a guy is a piece of human poo poo because you don't like the way he writes about comic book movies. Ok. You seem real swell yourself.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Viller posted:

A poo poo ton of people will want to see Batfleck fight Leto Joker, especially if his debut in Suicide Squad is a success. Then if that movie does well, people will want to see him fight his other villains, just like they have in the past.

I mean I sort've get what you're saying but the escalation thing doesn't really make sense when in most Batman series he fights his biggest and most recognizable villain right off the bat or fairly early into the series.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Colonel Whitey posted:

Haha a guy is a piece of human poo poo because you don't like the way he writes about comic book movies. Ok. You seem real swell yourself.

I mean he is exaggerating because this is the internet but also Devin Faraci is a loving waste of space lying trash golem of a sub-man (not really I am sure he is a nice man and his family loves him)

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Riddler and Scarecrow were kind of bad examples too because the nature of those characters means that any conflict with them really won't be a question of whether Batman is strong enough to punch them out or not. A psychological enemy is pretty much exactly what I want to see Batman Ben Affleck dealing with.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Riddler and Scarecrow were kind of bad examples too because the nature of those characters means that any conflict with them really won't be a question of whether Batman is strong enough to punch them out or not. A psychological enemy is pretty much exactly what I want to see Batman Ben Affleck dealing with.

Yes they were bad examples, I have to agree. If you look at it that way. Replace those names with any punchy rogue Batman has.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sir Kodiak posted:

It opened bigger than either both domestically and worldwide, but I guess we'll see.

BvS's first Sun-Wed domestic box office numbers were significantly lower than The Dark Knight or The Dark Knight Rises. In fact its first Sunday, Monday and Wednesday numbers were worse than Deadpool's and it only did slightly better than 'Pool on Tuesday. Of course it's WAY too early to draw conclusions on that, we'll have to wait until the numbers for the second weekend at least are in before we can start predicting trends.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Viller posted:

Right, and Batman had help in BvS, which he wouldn't in a solo movie, just like Cap going from Avengers to Winter Soldier, like I said in my post.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BvS the Flamethrower works well in this context. :v:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bring me a proper version of Mister Freeze. Hell, just recreate the animated series "Heart of Ice".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EtHfr0eBA4

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

BvS's first Sun-Wed domestic box office numbers were significantly lower than The Dark Knight or The Dark Knight Rises. In fact its first Sunday, Monday and Wednesday numbers were worse than Deadpool's and it only did slightly better than 'Pool on Tuesday. Of course it's WAY too early to draw conclusions on that, we'll have to wait until the numbers for the second weekend at least are in before we can start predicting trends.

I guess we'll see.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I want so badly for Scarecrow to be in more Batman movies. Just think of the nerd theories if it's Murphy again.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Colonel Whitey posted:

Nah, Faraci is a giant piece of poo poo. This is his reaction to someone leaking the screenplay (written by a friend of his) for Fantastic Four after opening weekend (and the guy he's berating, we will note, never actually leaked the thing and Faraci never apologized):

He also just happens to be terrible at being anything but a self-aggrandizing tool.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Grendels Dad posted:

I want so badly for Scarecrow to be in more Batman movies. Just think of the nerd theories if it's Murphy again.

Him showing up randomly is the best part of DKR and I would love for that to keep happening.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah, Devin's weird. He'll do a piece I very much agree with, and then he'll do it again, and again, and again, and get his lackies to do it again, and again to a point where the entire site is devoted to taking down one single movie.

Which is happening now.

But the site is cool though for the most part.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This makes me happy:

http://i.imgur.com/sI5hcjy.webm

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm tempted to say nobody comes off well on Twitter but Jesus, Devin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Devin Faraci's brand seems to be an even more insufferable Film Critic Hulk. At least FCH doesn't name search or frequently tell his detractors to go kill themselves.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 31, 2016

• Locked thread