Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Patch 2.0 is out officially for both EE's on steam. No SoD yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

Does it give you any cons for lowering a stat below 10 as well? Does it balance the game otherwise since people usually reroll until they get a roll of at least ~85?

I don't know but I'll ask. I think the cons of dumping a stat ought to be more extrrme than the benefits of jacking one.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

I don't know but I'll ask. I think the cons of dumping a stat ought to be more extrrme than the benefits of jacking one.

Yeah, I don't honestly see the point in just giving you more bonuses for high ability scores. It's not like the game is THAT hard.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Fired up BG:EE to take a look at the new class description. I guess I'll spoiler for those who want to see it themselves in-game. On a surface level it looks pretty balanced, to be honest, compared to regular Druid. I'm used to new classes and kits, both the official Beamdog ones and the mod-created ones being noticeably stronger than most original ones, with a few exceptions. Though I can't see what the unique Shaman spells do, those might swing things. To take the negatives first, you lose any dual/multi-class ability, you can't get bonus spells from Wisdom, can't get stronghold if PC, can't use Scimitars, and you lose out on the Druid-specific bonuses i.e. basic shapeshift, poison immune and 20% elemental resist at higher levels. The big draw-backs are clearly no dual/multi, fewer spells due to no Wisdom bonus, and lacking the poison immune/ele resists on high levels.

In return you get: axe/short-bow proficiency, which is pretty good I'll admit, but really won't do much for you since Shamans seem no better at melee/ranged than non-shapeshifted Druids - their APR and THAC0 are gonna suck pretty bad. But it gives some nice options in spreading your best weapons around. Sorc-type spell-progression which is fine, but I feel like divine classes usually have more situational spells you'll occasionally want to memorize compared to arcane ones - stuff like negative plane protection or cure poison/disease or what have you. So I don't really feel this is a plus or minus. Some unique spells that as I said I have no idea what they do. Slow-leveled Detect Illusion, it's nice I guess. And finally, Shamanistic Dance. This is gonna make or break the kit. On the surface I'm kinda split on it. It's got some HUGE drawbacks though. First off, only a chance per round to summon something, and that thing is A: gonna be pretty weak for your level, and B: not be control-able. They also go poof if they move out of visual range which seems to me like it really could make things fucky. You can't control them, and you want your Shaman AWAY from the heat of things since they're so weak in this form (and in general). I guess you gotta keep your rest of your party on alert and making sure enemies don't run into the fog of war. Anyway, the other worry is apparently you can summon ANY creature available for your level or below, meaning at level 30 you might be spending your round for a 3/4th chance to summon something and get a dog. That will die in .1 seconds presumably. Now to be fair, you do get free meat-shields and constant not-per-rest summons any time, and quite a few at high level, but I just dunno if that makes up for all the restraints and drawbacks of the ability. But maybe I'm wrong.

So overall, it's tough to evaluate the class's major selling-point, the Shamanistic Dance, but it looks to me like a potential early-game powerhouse that will struggle to impress at higher levels. And the basic abilities compared to non-kit Druid seem slightly weaker overall. But the unique spells may elevate it to a strong class evenso, as long as you don't mind giving up versatility in your divine spell-casting list (it'll probably go well alongside a dedicated Cleric for situational spells) in favor of casting lots of sweet Druid spells.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Wasn't "pretty poo poo" the conclusion someone playtesting one reached earlier in the thread

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Pretty much. The only advantage the summoned critters have over, say, the myriad of summoning spells that normal druids already get is that the dance animals are 'free', in that they can be called an unlimited number of times per day.

They are NOT free. They take your caster's turn. They might not even show up at all, completely wasting your caster's turn. Resting in this game is super easy. You can rest almost anywhere and nighttime ambushes are rarely ever threatening once you're past level 3. If you are running out of summoning through conventional spellcasting, you're not going to want to gamble your turn away on the off chance you get something at all, you're going to rest and keep trucking.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's some high level druid only spells that could be a lot of fun to be able to spontaneously cast. Specifically Insect Swarm and Nature's Beauty, probably some others.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Spontaneous casting is pretty solid as a benefit for the class, but they might as well have just gone full Favored Soul with the class instead of this dance crap.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Sprite outlines first reactions: ugly as gently caress

General game-look after turning that off (which seemed to require a game restart): it looks off but I can't put my finger on why. not really bad in any identifiable way, but just different than how it looked when I played yesterday.

The changes to UI and such are a mixed bag. I'm not a fan of how the new spellbooks are because the most important part - what you've memorized - is stuck in a small line at the very bottom. And also the XP bar counts ALL your XP instead of just the progress to next level (so the bar starts entirely unfilled after a level up) which makes it pointless? I don't understand what the point of this is, why would you include an XP bar when you level up and the bar is already at 70% because you've gained 70k XP and the next level is at 100k or whatever?

I do like having different panels for combat stats, abilities etc, especially since the panels for, say, THAC0 were way too small in the old EE version.

One thing that would have been on my wishlist is being able to click on buffs on your character sheet for a description of them (so clicking the Negative Plane Protection icon popped up a description of the spell and such) but I understand that would probably be very tough to do for many other types of effect.

E: The new map is trippy as fuuuuuck

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
The Shaman uses the Sorcerer/Mage level progression table, that's what makes it bad.

The Dance is a pretty lovely ability, but so is Druid Shapeshifting. And there aren't that many Druid spells you want anyway, so spontaneous casting is almost entirely a benefit for the Shaman.

Combining the weakest spell list with the slowest progression, though, ugh.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Also you can't be a goblin.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So how do you stop the game from making a new quicksave every time now? Because that is just obnoxious.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Here's a few portraits if you dudes need inspiration for a new character from some stuff I put together today.

http://imgur.com/a/FtLFh

It includes this special bonus character:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Pwnstar posted:

Here's a few portraits if you dudes need inspiration for a new character from some stuff I put together today.

haha these are great, thank you.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

it would be cool if shamans were divine wild mages with their own spin on the randomness gimmick

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

There's a new priest kit too, Priest of Tyr and for some reason Barbarian is now a fighter kit instead of a class?

Also, anyone got a final save of bg:ee? There are none on the internet apparently. preferably unmodded, i want to switch out characters with my own and then load a full party into SoD so everyone has equipment. the only character i have is an old bgt character who i finished bg1 with, he loads okay but most of his poo poo was in containers and i don't trust beamdog to see that and give me a bag of holding full of end game poo poo for npcs like ToB did.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Wizard Styles posted:

I think the biggest issue with the EE is dual-wielding; there are so many good buff spells that two dual-wielding fighter types just start tearing through everything. Some of the spells ported over from BG2 probably aren't great for game balance either, but I don't even remember when the game gives those to you. Archers may be a bit OTT.
Anyway, you could always just use some of the weaker kits.
I mean it's very playable, it's just a bit easy. The original was regarded as being hard as nails as the time, but then people hadn't worked out all the ways to game the infinity engine at that point, and the character progression is more standardised and linear than BG by a mile (for example, no dumb wilderness with 10,000 xp basilisks). Actually flows better as a result, though.

Also unlike BG not every quest-important character in IWD is actually labelled with a real name, so do make sure to talk to everyone neutral.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Vikar Jerome posted:

There's a new priest kit too, Priest of Tyr and for some reason Barbarian is now a fighter kit instead of a class?

Also, anyone got a final save of bg:ee? There are none on the internet apparently. preferably unmodded, i want to switch out characters with my own and then load a full party into SoD so everyone has equipment. the only character i have is an old bgt character who i finished bg1 with, he loads okay but most of his poo poo was in containers and i don't trust beamdog to see that and give me a bag of holding full of end game poo poo for npcs like ToB did.

Barbarian was apparently always coded as a Fighter kit, they're just not hiding it anymore.

As for a final save, Here you go.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Barbarian was apparently always coded as a Fighter kit, they're just not hiding it anymore.

As for a final save, Here you go.

thank you!

edit: do you happen to have a save just before you enter the temple by any chance? i can't do my switcharoo with the way ee does its final save.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 31, 2016

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Vikar Jerome posted:

thank you!

edit: do you happen to have a save just before you enter the temple by any chance? i can't do my switcharoo with the way ee does its final save.

I do.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

awesome!

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

What size do these have to be in game?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
EE converts the automagically as far as I recall

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Ilyich posted:

What size do these have to be in game?

They are the right size already.

Edit: For EE

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
You have to buy the game again for the new expansion that is bullshit.

(I am especially annoyed because I got all but BG2 right before the enhanced editions were announced.)

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Keiya posted:

(I am especially annoyed because I got all but BG2 right before the enhanced editions were announced.)

I'm not convinced the expansion is even worth getting yet. I've been thoroughly nonplussed by literally all the new-to-EE writing I've encountered, and I've not seen any evidence the expansion content will be any better. We'll just have to wait and see.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm not convinced the expansion is even worth getting yet. I've been thoroughly nonplussed by literally all the new-to-EE writing I've encountered, and I've not seen any evidence the expansion content will be any better. We'll just have to wait and see.

it's honestly just a little bit more polished fan mod, and a pretty mediocre one at that.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
the biggest problem with the writing is that the writers seem to hold joss whedon in higher regard than jack vance.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
I have all 3 previous EE releases but I'm waiting on SoD. I'll get it if the reviews are highly positive but otherwise I'll just give this one a pass.

The EE engine is nice, but up until this update there have still been enough bugs and/or annoyances that I've felt that Tutu -> BG2 is still superior. Maybe they've smoothed things out in the 2.0 patch(es), but that remains to be seen. Beamdog replacing their hideous UI re-design with a fan created UI literally a day before release does not inspire confidence.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Keiya posted:

What? I thought it was going to be a "DLC"?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Does Barb-as-Fighter-kit mean multi- or dual-classing?

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014

sebzilla posted:

Does Barb-as-Fighter-kit mean multi- or dual-classing?
As far as I am aware you still can't multiclass or dual class them.

Something about them being too mechanically similar to berserkers if you could was the reason for not allowing it as far as I remember.

psudonym55 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 31, 2016

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

mitochondritom posted:

it is, it's just an add-on like tob.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

mitochondritom posted:

I believe it is, a DLC for Enhanced Edition, if you had an original version you can't just drop it in somewhere.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Vikar Jerome posted:

it is, it's just an add-on like tob.

Except that it doesn't work with the original, you have to buy the game again and then buy the expansion.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Keiya posted:

Except that it doesn't work with the original, you have to buy the game again and then buy the expansion.

yes, it's an expansion for the enhanced edition so you only have to buy the enhanced edition since it only works for the enhanced edition, they never announced it for the 1998 edition because they only own the rights to the extended edition which has all the updated stuff they made you pay for.

i get what you're saying but it's been a few years now.

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014
So the new UI is possibly the uglyist thing I have seen in a very long time. I'm really really hating it. Everything feels super cramped and clustered. Like they just took everything and squashed it all together and then shoved it in an area half the size of before. The icons for memorized spells are tiny to the point of being hard to read. The new character sheet tab has several redundant sections including one for all the spells you know which you can clearly see by looking at your spellbook and a list of everything in your inventory which you know you could just look at your inventory and see. I'm really hoping that an option to revert it back is added or that a mod to convert it back is developed soon.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

psudonym55 posted:

So the new UI is possibly the uglyist thing I have seen in a very long time. I'm really really hating it. Everything feels super cramped and clustered. Like they just took everything and squashed it all together and then shoved it in an area half the size of before. The icons for memorized spells are tiny to the point of being hard to read. The new character sheet tab has several redundant sections including one for all the spells you know which you can clearly see by looking at your spellbook and a list of everything in your inventory which you know you could just look at your inventory and see. I'm really hoping that an option to revert it back is added or that a mod to convert it back is developed soon.

They made it super easy to mod the ui now so that will happen. there's a dude converting the Pillars of Eternity hud into the game right now.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

SoD is up on steam finally. dlc tab.

beamdog version was up too but no one as downloaded it yet due to servers getting hammered/beamdog servers being poo poo.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

psudonym55 posted:

Beaten already, but yeah, wait until a UI mod you like is made. That's what I'm gonna do anyway.

The UI is so bad that I have to believe the changes were made for non-PC use and maybe it looks better on tablets and such. Otherwise I can't even guess what they were shooting for.