Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WindowLiquor
Feb 8, 2011

Oh no no, this simply will not do!

teenytinymouse posted:

how is he so smaaaaaalllll :supaburn:

He's tiiiiiny. Was born on the 23rd of February, so not even a full month old yet. Very calm little guy who is just fine being in his transport cage, which surprised me because Princess Fatcheeks HATED that thing with a fiery passion. He's going to be a big boy though judging by his parents. Will have to upgrade the cage at some point (and talk my boyfriend into doing so).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Be careful in the first couple months, and make sure he's plenty warm. The major health concerns often happen early while they're still growing.

WindowLiquor
Feb 8, 2011

I will be keeping a close eye on him. So far he looks healthy. His favourite thing so far seems to be to sit and stare like he's in deep thought, plotting his escape while looking through the bars of his cage.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
Made these last month or so, two years after my last pig died. I'd been meaning to do something of a painting of both my boars since, but only really felt it recently. Also going over this thread and getting some inspiration from the stories, that's been really nice to see. Thought I'd share since these have been fairly popular with anyone I've shown.

If no one minds I might use their pigs as basis for more, I mean there's only so many shapes pigs take (mostly potato) but I like using actual marking patterns. One funny thing I found is that they pretty much all look evil when drawn head on, and basically always need to be positioned sideways for cuteness.

Fake edit: they're all based on my pigs, two are just reversed because ones for my mom who grew pretty fond of the little guys, and the others for me.

VolatileSky fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 19, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Those are super awesome. Like Lisa Frank except good!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Baby chinchilla, about 48 hours old when this picture was taken. Despite being so young she just wouldn't sit still for pictures, so I finally had to get one with her on my hand.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

VolatileSky posted:

Made these last month or so, two years after my last pig died. I'd been meaning to do something of a painting of both my boars since, but only really felt it recently. Also going over this thread and getting some inspiration from the stories, that's been really nice to see. Thought I'd share since these have been fairly popular with anyone I've shown.

If no one minds I might use their pigs as basis for more, I mean there's only so many shapes pigs take (mostly potato) but I like using actual marking patterns. One funny thing I found is that they pretty much all look evil when drawn head on, and basically always need to be positioned sideways for cuteness.

Fake edit: they're all based on my pigs, two are just reversed because ones for my mom who grew pretty fond of the little guys, and the others for me.

These are really really beautiful :3:

Khisanth Magus posted:

Baby chinchilla, about 48 hours old when this picture was taken. Despite being so young she just wouldn't sit still for pictures, so I finally had to get one with her on my hand.

This is like... I don't even have words I'm just making noises :swoon:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Captain Invictus posted:

Awwwwwwww, he's like a lint ball with ears! :3:

Not even close to the hairiest hamster I've seen. One specimen was so fluffy you could hardly tell which end was which until it started moving - the fur was longer than its tail and its ears. It looked like a tribble.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

VolatileSky posted:

These are so awesome! There's so little guinea pig art that isn't cutesy and this is just great.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Poor pig-rito is ready to be done with the antibiotics. He liked it at first but then stopped cooperating, and the only way to get him to take it is to wrap him up in a bundle so he can't move freely.

e: Uhh my baby pig just extended his penis multiple times. He stopped for a minute and I figured he was going to poop and then I saw that. What the hell man.

republicant fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 20, 2016

WindowLiquor
Feb 8, 2011

I think Fab feels right at home.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BDL0oIcRCo5/

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Awww :3: Fab is so adorable. Its kind of sad that they grow up so quickly. Baby syrians are so much fun to watch and enjoy.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
I went to the humane society and came home with three 2-week old baby pigs, brothers who were born at the shelter. Two of them are Americans, one with red eyes/gingery brown fur and the other one dark brown/light brown/white fur, and the other one has brown and white tufty fur (Abyssinian?). Say hello to Oberon, Puck, and Peaseblossom.

republicant fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 24, 2016

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Because my mothers 1 year death is happening on Easter I got a little buddy to cheer me up. He's so cute (at least I think it's a he.). I named him Apollo.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm so sorry about your mum :( I know there's nothing that can really help with something like that but I think a little tiny friend can certainly make you feel a little bit better day to day

Apollo is a cutie pie, I hope he's good to you :3:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I had a dream I was at an old pet store that no longer exists looking at their hamsters and buying a Chinese dwarf hamster.

I think it's a sign, frankly.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

I had a dream I was at an old pet store that no longer exists looking at their hamsters and buying a Chinese dwarf hamster.

I think it's a sign, frankly.

Do it!!! I would love a lil Chinese but they don't sell them here anymore because people don't like their little mousy tails :( my friend had one and he was the greatest ham, so chill and friendly, he gave no shits about anything and loved sleeves.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What, whenever I had a Chinese dwarf, people absolutely loved their little prehensile tails. And yeah, the ones I've owned always were way more chill than any other type of hamster, and definitely loved being inside shirts more than others. So cute.

I've been thinking of getting one for a while now, yeah. Just have to find a place that sells them, like you said.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Well I'm in the uk where people are a different kind of weird to your kind of weird, but I never ever see Chinese hams anywhere and from what I hear it's the tails thing. FORTUNATELY if I want one I have a great breeder on my radar. One day.

One guy near me is apparently interested in restarting the Northern Ireland ham breeding shows again soon so that might be a thing! I would like to breed Syrians one day, once I'm not renting and if I'm sure there's a market for babbies. I think people here need an alternative to to pet shop rodent farm hams.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
My wife and I were at our local Petco and I saw my first Chinese ham there. It was like so freakishly long it was actually kinda cute, like a little ham/ferret mix.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They're not really long, though they can stretch out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

teenytinymouse posted:

Well I'm in the uk where people are a different kind of weird to your kind of weird, but I never ever see Chinese hams anywhere and from what I hear it's the tails thing. FORTUNATELY if I want one I have a great breeder on my radar. One day.

My local Pets at Home pretty much does the works when it comes to rodents - Syrians, Roborowskis, Chinese Dwarfs, degu, chins - so I can't imagine the chain as a whole doesn't. They're a fairly decent store, too, they sell rescues at a discount.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Jedit posted:

My local Pets at Home pretty much does the works when it comes to rodents - Syrians, Roborowskis, Chinese Dwarfs, degu, chins - so I can't imagine the chain as a whole doesn't. They're a fairly decent store, too, they sell rescues at a discount.

I'm talking about p@h too! I know the two near me don't do them and from what I've heard on hammy Facebook groups etc they are getting a bit harder to find :shrug:

Since we don't have breeders here their rescue section is where I get my hams, they actually don't "sell" them at all, the money goes to local charities or the upkeep of the adoption centre! Its a nice system since a lot of rescues won't take hams, stops some of them ending up in the bin or fed to a snake.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

My small wigs with eyes got a bath and a haircut recently. They're almost 6 months old now! I gave the teddies a bath too while I was at it.

Turns out there really were guinea pigs under the hairpieces.

It's been interesting to see what things the breeder warned me about that haven't happened. She said that you should only feed hay cubes because otherwise the hay gets into their fur and that never happened. She said to bathe them weekly or they would mat up. I bathed them twice in 5 months and they each had one little mat between their front legs that was easy to remove. She said if you kept them together they would chew each other's fur off and that definitely didn't happen. Turns out if you give them real hay and veggies other than a single baby carrot a day and lots of space and things to interact with they don't go nuts chewing on fur. She also said that after 6 months they don't grow in their coat anymore so it will be interesting to see how it grows back.

The thing she didn't warn me about is that if you let their butt and belly fur get too long it will wrap around their penis and also get crammed into their anal pouch and its super gross to deal with every day :gonk:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Seeing pigs look like they're enjoying a bath is a strange sight. Usually they sit with an expression of utter betrayal and "Why did you do this to me? :qq:"

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
New picture of the latest chinchilla clone.

I wanted to get one of her eating a pellet, but she wouldn't do it for the camera :(

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Oh my gosh he's a little mop for the floor!

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Looking for some toy ideas for hamsters. Tried giving them an egg carton, but they both have ignored it if it didn't have a treat inside.

Im hoping to find or make something that will give them a bit of mental stimulation. Runty does have a new wodent wheel on its way. But clover has been pretty unimpressed with my toy offerings.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Burrow box? Apart from wheeling and sniffing out hidden bits of food (exactly what I use egg boxes for) digging is Cc's fave thing. She just digs holes and fills them in again :shrug:

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
That sounds similar to what I currently have in clover's cage now. I took a puzzle playground and built it so it would be a small room with two hallways on either side. I then buried it with just the two entrances sticking out. Clover pretty much filled it in with bedding.

All clover does if she isn't taking a casual stroll on her wheel is sitting under a bendy bridge and watching what's going on outside her cage.

The Hamster ball is really the only thing she seems to get excited about.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

She also said that after 6 months they don't grow in their coat anymore so it will be interesting to see how it grows back.

I'd regularly shave down our long-haired pig and it always grew back the same each time.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I'd regularly shave down our long-haired pig and it always grew back the same each time.

Like is there even a mammal with significantly different characteristics for hair follicles...?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

-CHA posted:

That sounds similar to what I currently have in clover's cage now. I took a puzzle playground and built it so it would be a small room with two hallways on either side. I then buried it with just the two entrances sticking out. Clover pretty much filled it in with bedding.

All clover does if she isn't taking a casual stroll on her wheel is sitting under a bendy bridge and watching what's going on outside her cage.

The Hamster ball is really the only thing she seems to get excited about.

Every hamster I've ever had has had the same attitude to their hut: they need a little tin cup to rattle against the bars. Sure, it's where they keep their hoard, but Out is where it's at.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Today was the first day it didn't make what I call the "squeaks of I will kill you!" He ran around on my hands and just dug with his paws a bit after several times of me doing this. I gave him a little piece of carrot to reward him for being nice.

I named him Apollo.

Am I doing this right I have never owned a hamster, but I think it is going well so far.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 31, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Today was the first day it didn't make what I call the "squeaks of I will kill you!" He ran around on my hands and just dug with his paws a bit after several times of me doing this. I gave him a little piece of carrot to reward him for being nice.

I named him Apollo.

Am I doing this right I have never owned a hamster, but I think it is going well so far.

It's a Russian Dwarf or a Roborovsky, right? Can't really tell from the picture you posted. They're probably the most neurotic of hamsters so it's no surprise it's making the weird noises when you hold it. I've never really had one that totally "chilled out" like most of my syrians or chinese dwarfs, but there's always exceptions.

edit: also try getting him some carefresh. I switched over to it completely from shavings because the shavings dust was really annoying and they like to move around in carefresh more, it seems. Plus, less smell.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I named him Apollo.

Sounds about right to me! Looks like a little Russian hybrid from photos, no little robo moustache.

My little one is neurotic as gently caress so I'm not going to say Invictus is wrong but I've heard tales of many a tiny Russian cuddlebug. Just keep at it, especially the food as rewards. I agree with the carefresh thing, shavings don't seem as nice to burrow in and if there's a piney resiny smell off them they can actually be v v bad for their little lungs. I'm switching over to hemp after the next big clean, only using shavings now because I ran out of hemp and I can't bear to throw anything out once I've paid for it.

Poe dive-bombing the camera in case it's food

One of his eyes is definitely buggier than the other :3:

republicant
Apr 5, 2010

Taking care of five pigs is almost a part time job in itself, but it's a fun one at least. The babies aren't picky and will eat all kinds of things like red bell peppers, Swiss chard, mustard greens and broccoli rabe/rapini, so it's a lot of fun shopping for them. I feel like I really lucked out to get five male pigs who all get along perfectly, aside from the occasional unwanted butt-sniffing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

republicant posted:

Taking care of five pigs is almost a part time job in itself, but it's a fun one at least. The babies aren't picky and will eat all kinds of things like red bell peppers, Swiss chard, mustard greens and broccoli rabe/rapini, so it's a lot of fun shopping for them. I feel like I really lucked out to get five male pigs who all get along perfectly, aside from the occasional unwanted butt-sniffing.

Hamlet must've lost his little piggy mind at three new friends :allears:.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hamlet must've lost his little piggy mind at three new friends :allears:.

When I had them separated before introducing them, Hamlet and Horatio were both going nuts and chewing the cage bars trying to get to them. Now if I take any one pig out of the cage, especially Hamlet, all of them will start wheeking frantically and the pig that's out of the cage will desperately try to get back in, they hate being separated. They're all part of this little pig family now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

republicant posted:

I feel like I really lucked out to get five male pigs who all get along perfectly, aside from the occasional unwanted butt-sniffing.

They're also tiny babies so don't be surprised if things get a little rougher as they reach sexual maturity. My little dudes are 6 months old now and Very Fierce with their rumblestrutting occasionally.