Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Monkey Fracas posted:

is it worth figuring out some way to play Golden or is regular-flavor Persona 4 just fine
Vanilla P4 is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

is it worth figuring out some way to play Golden or is regular-flavor Persona 4 just fine

P4 is good but golden is better. If ps tv's are still able to bought you can play golden on that. Marie isn't in normal so there's that as an advantage.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Monkey Fracas posted:

golden is easy to play since it works on the pstv but irc the personas are very easy to emulate so whatevs

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Please try to avoid buying a Vita if at all possible.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

Please try to avoid buying a Vita if at all possible.

Why? It's cool for a dead system.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Monkey Fracas posted:

Golden has a lot of additional content, but tanks its own difficulty balance. You'll have a much more rewarding time doing vanilla P4, which is harder and better.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I could play P4G for like 50-60 bucks depending how much I can get a PS TV for used

P4 is a PS2 Classic for :10bux:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjwVr1pY9tc

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Monkey Fracas posted:

I could play P4G for like 50-60 bucks depending how much I can get a PS TV for used

P4 is a PS2 Classic for :10bux:

Go with the Classic, youtube the Golden exclusive stuff.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

mii:mario::wii:wario

follow the money

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lol at going back to a MegaTen with skill shuffling though.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I thought I was watching a Mega 64 video for the first couple of seconds.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Please sum up why goons go loving apeshit for Persona and why any time it's mentioned you get equal parts of assholes screaming about it and weirdos going limp and creamy over it.

My knee wants to jerk and scream BECAUSE ANIME but help me get beyond that.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

because anime

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

cram me sideways posted:

Please sum up why goons go loving apeshit for Persona and why any time it's mentioned you get equal parts of assholes screaming about it and weirdos going limp and creamy over it.

It's a socially acceptable visual novel.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Because it's fun, has a ton of content, the writing is good, the characters are likable l, it has a great soundtrack and it's just generally a cool, fun and stylish game.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

cram me sideways posted:

Motto posted:

because anime

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Phantasium posted:

It's a socially acceptable visual novel.

after watching the Tokimeki episode of Game Center CX I also realized that it's a lot like a dating sim, in that it revolves around time management, hanging out with people, and repeatedly doing menial activities like studying to build up stats in order to better interact with people.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

life is a lot like a dating sim if u think about it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Motto posted:

after watching the Tokimeki episode of Game Center CX I also realized that it's a lot like a dating sim, in that it revolves around time management, hanging out with people, and repeatedly doing menial activities like studying to build up stats in order to better interact with people.

It's not exactly a secret that Persona is a high school dating sim that went in the Fly teleporter with a copy of SMT.

And a horrible monster came out.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

cram me sideways posted:

Motto posted:

because anime videogames

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Jay Rust posted:

life is a lot like a dating sim if u think about it

I must have hit a bad end :negative:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

It's not exactly a secret that Persona is a high school dating sim that went in the Fly teleporter with a copy of SMT.

And a horrible monster came out.

yeah, but I hadn't realized that it went down to the mechanics as well. Games like Harvest Moon have dating elements too, but that just amounts to tossing crap at villagers

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

cram me sideways posted:

It's fairly relatable to a lot of people, since despite the major cultural differences that come from the setting, the Persona 4 kids have issues and characters that are recognizable to basically any teenager and young 20-something. Also there's some actual homoerotic imagery in there that is intentional and that imagery is used heavily in one person's character arc. Another character revolves around gender roles and whether she fits into either of them; these are topics that certain groups on the Internet get really stirred up about one way or another, so you got a few elements going there.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

if your critique or understanding of something, anything, is just ITS ANIME and that is all then you're a loving moron

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i refuse to read this expose because HATE NEWSPAPER

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Movable type? More like removable tripe.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'm glad someone is here to protect us from the scourge of throwaway jokes.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Phantasium posted:

Movable type? More like removable tripe.

this joke made me smile

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPOla9SEdXQ

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

someone should switch all the bone animations for male and female shepard

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

that's standard practice for every major game dev at this point. like the division had an entire cgi multiplayer match that they played during shows while people fiddled with controllers that weren't connected to anything

I just thought that it was gameplay cause I thought it was from a trailer that specifically said gameplay only and stuff :\

I wanted to play a cool action rpg where I could play like 3rd person shooter style if I wanted to play as the gunner character...

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I wish someone would model swap Lara Croft and Nathan Drake already, so we can see how weird Nate looks crawling around pathetically and being all dirty and slutty and injured.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

VoidBurger posted:

I wish someone would model swap Lara Croft and Nathan Drake already, so we can see how weird Nate looks crawling around pathetically and being all dirty and slutty and injured.

I was thinking the other way around tbh, esp. if the camera is not adjusted for height differences and cutscenes focus on the top of Lara's head.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
fat nathan drake`

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Also I'm surprised that Alyx Vance wasn't mentioned in that video as a good example of "regular person" body language. Oh well~ Alyx was some good poo poo.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

how will we show that someone is worried they might be gay? I GOT IT!!! A LISPING VILLAIN WHO SUMMONS MUSCLE MEN AND EVERYONE IS RELIEVED TO FIND OUT HE'S DATING A WOMAN HA HA YEAH PERFECT

This is more an issue with Japan's culture reflected via stereotypes in games and their lack of political correctness in anime than anything else, I think. Plus generic plot holes, re: forgetting an entire arc of character development down the road because :effort:

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm still real excited for fantasy road tripping with some buds in XV. I'd like a female party member or a less suggestive Sid, but a token RPG female would be worse than none at all. Are there other RPGs with all male parties? I feel like developers always feel the need to add a lady to be a love interest and fill the white mage or archer or thief role in a game (:biotruths:), or they stack the deck with women so it becomes a harem or Atelier game. Just curious, and I can't think of one myself.

If "Spinal Tap" was an exceptional band doing a normal tour, and FFXV is a normal band group of guys on an exceptional tour, then I can have high hopes

VoidBurger posted:

Also I'm surprised that Alyx Vance wasn't mentioned in that video as a good example of "regular person" body language. Oh well~ Alyx was some good poo poo.

Mentioning a strong counterpoint to strawman arguments kind of defeats the purpose of cherry-picking examples, and does the work of opposing arguments for you.

Guys, last day of March chat thread, going out with Katamari music is a not bad idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2xVTE-2eik

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

btw i was ragging on it before but while its super flawed katamari forever is still nice since yuo can at least tell the devs really liked katamari

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Mistle posted:

Mentioning a strong counterpoint to strawman arguments kind of defeats the purpose of cherry-picking examples, and does the work of opposing arguments for you.
yeah it's really intellectually dishonest to provide examples of sexism in a series about sexism in gaming, in order to prove a thesis one is discussing. i was supposed to write a term paper about italian culture but i wrote it mostly about the mario brothers and i got an F. i just don't get these feminazis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

It was originally called Katamari Tribute and imho that makes more sense.it's just people picking their favorite Katamari levels to celebrate the series p much

• Locked thread