Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Yeah, as long as it's a plug/patch combo that gets pulled through from the inside, they should last the life of the tire. I've done hundreds of them, and only had a couple that didn't hold (and I knew those probably wouldn't, but the customer wanted me to try anyway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
My 2007 STI decided to lunch a rear wheel bearing in spectacular fashion on the way into work this morning.

Replace with OEM or parts store garbage (which appears to be "National Wheel Taper Bearing")? Cost is not an issue, but time without the vehicle is a bit more of a problem.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

saint gerald posted:

My 2007 STI decided to lunch a rear wheel bearing in spectacular fashion on the way into work this morning.

Replace with OEM or parts store garbage (which appears to be "National Wheel Taper Bearing")? Cost is not an issue, but time without the vehicle is a bit more of a problem.

OEM cost is pretty reasonable considering the labor cost involved, I'm guessing the dealer doesn't have it on hand?

#28016PA010

Chriskory fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 28, 2016

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Chriskory posted:

OEM cost is pretty reasonable considering the labor cost involved. Are you going to do both rears?

#28016PA010

Wasn't planning to...the other one feels solid. But I guess they both have the same number of miles on them and it probably will only take 50% longer to do both.

From the look of the walkthrough on NASIOC removing the hub looks fairly straightforward, but I'll need to take it to a shop to have them actually change the bearings. That's a thing people do, right? A shop's not going to look at me as if I've sprouted another head if I walk in clutching a hub and a bag of parts and say "yo, can you press this in for me?"

Edit: the dealer does not have it in hand and says 3-5 days.

saint gerald fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 28, 2016

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The OEM procedure leaves the upright on the car. Disconnect lateral links, pull out CV, use slide hammer to remove hub, and then a big threaded rod does all the press work. I've done it that way once, kind of nice but taking off the upright isn't much different.

I think there is a tolerance for roundness of the upright, might want to make sure it's still straight.

jamal fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 28, 2016

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

jamal posted:

The OEM procedure leaves the upright on the car. Disconnect lateral links, pull out CV, use slide hammer to remove hub, and then a big threaded rod does all the press work. I've done it that way once, kind of nice but taking off the upright isn't much different.

I think there is a tolerance for roundness of the upright, might want to make sure it's still straight.

Is the upright the same as the bottom part of the strut? If so I have taken that off comparatively recently, it should come off without difficulty.

How much should I be looking to pay a shop to press in the new bearings?

edit: anyone happen to have the right part numbers for the oil seals? NASIOC says a 28015AA070 and a 28015AA080, but Liberty Auto City doesn't seem to list the 070.

saint gerald fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 28, 2016

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I've got a lovely green corral that's been slowly growing from one head gasket on my 2004 EZ30. I replaced the coolant about a year 15000 miles ago and didn't add the Subaru conditioner (wasn't recommended for the 6 afaik). I'm not losing much coolant, I add maybe 4-8oz to the reservoir every oil change. Do you think the Coolant Conditioner would do any good at this point?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

saint gerald posted:

Is the upright the same as the bottom part of the strut? If so I have taken that off comparatively recently, it should come off without difficulty.

edit: anyone happen to have the right part numbers for the oil seals? NASIOC says a 28015AA070 and a 28015AA080, but Liberty Auto City doesn't seem to list the 070.

Yeah it is the big cast iron piece the bearing goes in that everything attaches to.

Don't know what a shop will charge to press things. Could be $20 and a case of beer or a lot more.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Why shouldn't I buy this car? It appears to have been well taken care of and it's pretty close to me. I'm not looking for something that will be maintenance heavy but I don't mind getting my hands dirty.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

two_beer_bishes posted:

Why shouldn't I buy this car? It appears to have been well taken care of and it's pretty close to me. I'm not looking for something that will be maintenance heavy but I don't mind getting my hands dirty.

It hasn't sold because it's overpriced by about 3,000 dollars.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

daslog posted:

It hasn't sold because it's overpriced by about 3,000 dollars.

That's what I thought while checking edmunds.com but I wasn't sure if that was accurate for those cars.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I wouldn't personally pay that asking price, but a low miles unmolested WRX of that era is a very rare find. For something like that, book value pretty much goes out the window. Plenty of enthusiast-oriented cars that can fetch way above book in the right circumstances.

But he's still probably asking too much considering it was first listed in December.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 29, 2016

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Should I be concerned about the lack of recent miles? He said 500 miles in the last 3 years. Looks like he just sold an accessport on nasioc too, is that something to worry about?

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 29, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

two_beer_bishes posted:

Should I be concerned about the lack of recent miles? He said 500 miles in the last 3 years. Looks like he just sold an accessport on nasioc too, is that something to worry about?

Little bit, yeah. If you proceed with this check that exhaust, intake, etc haven't been swapped recently.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

saint gerald posted:

You can call around to find the best price.

I did the two rear bearings on my 01 2.5RS and setting up the press was really complicated due the the hub shape.
I probably spent an hour setting up to press the first one out, then 5 minutes press a new one in and do the other side.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

two_beer_bishes posted:

That's what I thought while checking edmunds.com but I wasn't sure if that was accurate for those cars.

He's done a lot of dumb cosmetic mods. STI wing, Rally Roof scoop, etc. 99 times out of 100, that means he's some NASIOC nerd who is in love with his car and thinks it's worth way more than what it is.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Guinness posted:

I wouldn't personally pay that asking price, but a low miles unmolested WRX of that era is a very rare find. For something like that, book value pretty much goes out the window. Plenty of enthusiast-oriented cars that can fetch way above book in the right circumstances.

But he's still probably asking too much considering it was first listed in December.

Cutting a loving hole in the roof doesn't could as unmolested.
If a car has a rally roof and no (real) cage, the owner is an rear end in a top hat. 100% proven fact.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

Last month I bought a one owner 2002 WRX wagon for $5200. All stock, with the same factory momo knob and Lamco gauge pack. 165k and full service history.
I got a great deal finding one unmodified (and plan to keep it that way) but I'd never have paid $8,000

Chriskory fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 29, 2016

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

nm posted:

Cutting a loving hole in the roof doesn't could as unmolested.
If a car has a rally roof and no (real) cage, the owner is an rear end in a top hat. 100% proven fact.

Ah jeez, somehow I completely missed that.

Yeah, gently caress that car.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Sti wings look way better than no wing or the dinner plate stock one though :(

My cel turned out to be a p0031, wideband afr. Why are those things so drat expensive

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

STI wings look dumb.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

My cel turned out to be a p0031, wideband afr. Why are those things so drat expensive

Because they're really fancy pieces of technology and contain a not-insignificant amount of platinum - the TechEdge guys have a pretty good page on how this poo poo works here, which explains some of it.

You can buy 'em from a 3rd party no problem though as long as you make sure it's the right part number (which mostly comes down to plug type and cable length, no you can't change these) and a genuine [NGK/Bosch/Denso/Whoever makes your sensor] sensor.

E: There's a Bosch PDF explanation here too

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Shops doing it for the cost of parts because they are doing my clutch anyway. I wish i had money to buy a lift or a house with a better flatter driveway to do it myself.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Makes sense; it's literally a five minute job on most cars, so :v: (i don't know if this is true on newer scoobs)

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Chriskory posted:

Last month I bought a one owner 2002 WRX wagon for $5200. All stock, with the same factory momo knob and Lamco gauge pack. 165k and full service history.
I got a great deal finding one unmodified (and plan to keep it that way) but I'd never have paid $8,000

Good to know!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

saint gerald posted:

I brought in both of the uprights, bearings, ball joints and one snapped ball joint bolt (left the other untouched because I didn't want to break it) and I was out the door for around $150 I think. gently caress those ball joint bolts. He got out the snapped portion luckily and didn't have to rethread and probably got the other out with a torch (which I do not own). It was totally worth not loving with it further.

I took it to an auto focused machine shop in the Detroit area.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Larrymer posted:

I brought in both of the uprights, bearings, ball joints and one snapped ball joint bolt (left the other untouched because I didn't want to break it) and I was out the door for around $150 I think. gently caress those ball joint bolts. He got out the snapped portion luckily and didn't have to rethread and probably got the other out with a torch (which I do not own). It was totally worth not loving with it further.

I took it to an auto focused machine shop in the Detroit area.

Thanks for this. My regular shop reckons about two hours.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

2000 Outback with >150k miles, the speedo/tach/etc. seems to have a loose connection. Bumps can cause the needles to jump to strange positions and hold there, some of the backlight goes out. Another good bump will restore functionality of course.

Mechanic did some work on the connector which made it better for a few days. Looking for links to home-grown how-tos or someone selling this connector?

Ideas?

dk2m
May 6, 2009
What's the current consensus on tuning the FA turbos? I've put about 10k on the 2016 WRX, and I'm feeling the bug a little bit. I used to have the EJ running a Cobb tune, but I've been reading that the FA is already pretty maxed out. I also don't trust NASIOC at all on this. It'll be stock otherwise.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

dk2m posted:

What's the current consensus on tuning the FA turbos? I've put about 10k on the 2016 WRX, and I'm feeling the bug a little bit. I used to have the EJ running a Cobb tune, but I've been reading that the FA is already pretty maxed out. I also don't trust NASIOC at all on this. It'll be stock otherwise.

They seem to hold well into the low 300s for bhp/tq with just bolt-ons and fuel, but beyond that you might as well set aside enough for new internals, if you want reliable power.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

dk2m posted:

I was gonna say something similar to McSpatula, but all of the info I have came from NASIOC. I'm not sure where else I would find it. Maybe a tuner if they've done enough of them.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Any one here do much open source tuning? I'm trying to teach my self but some things have struck me as odd. Like at WOT, 14PSI, 10.5 AFR I'm over 90% injector duty cycle from 5k rpm to near redline.

Frankenstein
Jul 29, 2005

Sadi posted:

Any one here do much open source tuning? I'm trying to teach my self but some things have struck me as odd. Like at WOT, 14PSI, 10.5 AFR I'm over 90% injector duty cycle from 5k rpm to near redline.

Not yet, but this is the next step for me. What model and year? I've noticed a chug at about 4.2k and when I watch various MAF, boost, etc I can see everything getting trimmed (rate of change declines). I haven't gotten a tactrix cable yet, but soon. What are you using to pull data?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Derp, yeah its an 04 WRX. De catted up pipe, SPT intake, cobb catted dp, blitz 3" cat back. Im logging with the tactrix cable. Im too cheap for cobb. Also Ive been having a hell of a time making more than stock boost. I have had to add a few turns to the wastegate linkage.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Stock injectors and stock turbo? There not much more there.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

jamal posted:

Stock injectors and stock turbo? There not much more there.

Yup. Stock both. I just didn't think, half a psi above stock would be that much load on the injectors. Probably should start leaning up a bit more.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Sadi posted:

Check for obvious vacuum leaks, a dirty MAF sensor, etc. If your math is right and you still can't hit your trim targets, it's time to double check your injector scaling.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Have you tuned for your intake? Isn't it a really bad idea to put them on Subarus without tuning your MAF curve?

Can't remember what the stock turbo and injectors are capable of, but I'd trust Jamal.

barracudal
Apr 1, 2016
Has Subaru said anything about whether the hatchback WRX/STI will return?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Nothing officially.

Only aging leaked documents and heresay.