Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

FrostyPox posted:

Welp I guess I'll try my hand at dual boxing. Frostypox, Erudite Shadow Knight and Iceplague (creative, right), Troll Shaman, on Cazic Thule, which I just realized is.... appropriate.

I mourn for the loss of your social life :getin:

e: wait I did that wrong. /mourn frostypox; /mourn iceplague

Setset fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

UPDATE: So far, dual boxing is less annoying and actually a bit more interesting than I thought it would be. It'll probably be more fun when I have more spells and stuff. Both my duders are level 4 but I accidentally bit off a bit more than I can chew and my SK died so the Shammy's a bit ahead.

I shouldn't've done this, this is gonna cut into my free time pretty badly. :ohdear:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I know they killed the Mac server but since then have the made the game Mac friendly at all or would boot camp be my only option?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

FrostyPox posted:

UPDATE: So far, dual boxing is less annoying and actually a bit more interesting than I thought it would be. It'll probably be more fun when I have more spells and stuff. Both my duders are level 4 but I accidentally bit off a bit more than I can chew and my SK died so the Shammy's a bit ahead.

I shouldn't've done this, this is gonna cut into my free time pretty badly. :ohdear:
Yeah it really adds to the fun to box. Choosing one class in EQ is impossible, choosing two loosens it up a little. It's so fun to synergize and build two characters at once. :)

Where are you leveling? I can give you an easy leveling path, but it's also cool and relatively fast to stick to classic zones up until the 50's.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I've just been punching mobs around Crescent Reach, but I'm contemplating continuing my Test Server Classic Levelling experiment by taking my dudes to Nektulos Forest, which, AFAIK, is the only place where both Cazic-Thule Erudites and Trolls are not KOS.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

FrostyPox posted:

I've just been punching mobs around Crescent Reach, but I'm contemplating continuing my Test Server Classic Levelling experiment by taking my dudes to Nektulos Forest, which, AFAIK, is the only place where both Cazic-Thule Erudites and Trolls are not KOS.
They made the KoS thing a tad more lenient over the years. For example, I'm pretty sure you can never get killed within you own city, unlike back in the day where a Gnome Necro could walk up to the goddie caster guild in Ak'anon and get creamed.

Also, many outdoors patrolling guards are not that high level, so already in the 30's or so you should be able to not worry too much. Furthermore, it's overall easier to avoid getting killed due to better graphics (brighter and longer sight range), mercs to take the first blows, and the extended target window will alert you the instant something aggros on you.

You might want to stick to Crescent Reach until level 20 to get a bit of an easy start, then you can venture out. There's also good old Ocean of Tears, which has few faction-based mobs, but some great leveling spots.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Pilsner posted:

They made the KoS thing a tad more lenient over the years. For example, I'm pretty sure you can never get killed within you own city, unlike back in the day where a Gnome Necro could walk up to the goddie caster guild in Ak'anon and get creamed.

Also, many outdoors patrolling guards are not that high level, so already in the 30's or so you should be able to not worry too much. Furthermore, it's overall easier to avoid getting killed due to better graphics (brighter and longer sight range), mercs to take the first blows, and the extended target window will alert you the instant something aggros on you.

You might want to stick to Crescent Reach until level 20 to get a bit of an easy start, then you can venture out. There's also good old Ocean of Tears, which has few faction-based mobs, but some great leveling spots.

Thanks for the advice!

I went to Nektulos Forest, but upon arrival at the POK stone, I stumbled across some weird group of High Elf Enchanter NPCs or something, and while my SK wasn't KOS to them, my Troll was. :saddowns:.

Might try again (and avoid those NPCs!).

Or just wander around Crescent Reach, that seems like a fun, viable option too,

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Did you know that the whole The Serpent's Spine expansion (the one with Crescent Reach; starting town of the Drakkin race) was made to support characters leveling from 1-70? Just a tip. After Crescent Reach (CR), just go next door to Blightfire Moors and you can get to level 35 or so, then Goru'kar Mesa, etc.

Here's a raw copy/paste of my own notes for a classic (including Kunark) leveling path, which might help you. I've mostly leveled good characters, but it's fairly easy to get around regardless these days. Heck, you can buy invis pots for 10p each.
code:
1-12 (max stretch: 14)	Steamfont.
	1 start west of ak'anon in the pit
	3 east near kobold camp / dragon skeleton, kill kobolds etc.
	4 move to windmills (+ go north) watch out for wandering high lvl scowling skeletons and crag aviaks. kill spiders, skeletons, kobolds, aviaks, etc.
	8 northeast to the pit outside mino caves
1-10 Qeynos + Qeynos Hills
	skeleton camp
10-15 Lavastorm
	mobs in the south
15-18 Lake Rathe
	aviaks, gnolls
18-25 Rathe Mountains
	giant skeletons + cyclopses @ Lake Rathe zone
16-24 OOT undead island
	gargoyles - 9p per eye
12-20 Unrest
	watch for high level named
	12 zone entrance, beetles, wandering undead
	14 left wall, pull from inside the castle (ghouls, mummies, skeletons)
	19 move inside, basement if you dare
12-20	Highpass Hold
	kith entrance, orcs at zone line. watch for SoW'd orcs/shamans
20-35	Mistmoore
	- snaring important
	20 entrance, move towards castle. When you see too many red cons, run/evac back to the entrance and repeat until lvl 25
	25 go deeper into graveyard maosoleum
	27 go near castle
25-30	South Karana
	aviaks. not very good but nostalgic. Snatch up wandering centaurs, undead cyclops, etc. centaur village northeast
25+ ?	High Keep
	goblins
30-40	Overthere
33-38	OOT spectres
	careful, come in groups of 4-5. specs at tower respawn in about 3 minutes, the ones in the group before are 20ish
	specs drop scythes - rusty (2g), bronze (3p) or "Scythe" (11p). used merchant at northern island to sell. weigth 12-13
	+ gargs for cash
38-44	OOT seafuries
	camp safe at druid ring
	lots of hp, but easy single pulls. can pull 4-6 at higher levels with tank merc
	watch for quag (lvl 45), tainted (50?). might find ancient cyclops.
	drop up to 7p each plus toes and rarely gems/vendor junk
40-55	City of Mist
	start at zone in area and work westwards. watch for black reavers chain spawning
45-60	Howling Stones
	north, west, south, east wing in that order
44-50	OOT elite isle goblins
	start on the northwest side of the island, where a dark elf lady named Nyuae the Cruel is located. If she's KoS, kill her. 
	Either pull to camp or wander around. very tiny agro range
	loot is not very good, a few plat and rusty
	watch for Allizewsaur (lvl 50). Ogre Gubblegrot is not KoS
50-	Old Sebilis
	start on top, move down to crypt at 52ish. exploit through doors
	make sure you snare (shamans sow) and pathing stinks
	at 55, do myconids, krups/reets, down to Trak

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Holy crap I'm having PTSD reading that list, that's pretty much my life from 99-00

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

howling stones, how I miss thee. Did that zone A LOT with my druid and a necro buddy, sometimes adding a wizard friend, it was fun, chill xp and could generally clear the bigger parts of the zone ourselves.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Hoohah posted:

I went through all four steps about 5 times in 2015 when EoE collapsed on Fippy, and right now I'm still in #2 while I accomplish stuff and gear up on the latest iteration.

Are you still playing on xegony? Check your steam messages or be online sunday.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

MF_James posted:

howling stones, how I miss thee. Did that zone A LOT with my druid and a necro buddy, sometimes adding a wizard friend, it was fun, chill xp and could generally clear the bigger parts of the zone ourselves.
It's a really good zone even today, particularly when your corpses aren't at risk of rotting deep in a keyed (you no longer need key) dungeon, and XP loss isn't such a big deal now. You could even begin there in the low 40's. It's still chill and has a nice atmosphere. Plus the loot was spectacular back then; it's cool to walk around with a little box crew and find stuff like Bloodpoint, Sash of the Dragonborn, Adamantite Club, all that.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Even on the progression servers guards are pretty lenient. There was only one mob that went out of its way to murder my necro there and it was pretty easy to avoid it. Guards in the city you had to practically run on top of them for them to aggro you.

Evor 3
Feb 19, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I know they killed the Mac server but since then have the made the game Mac friendly at all or would boot camp be my only option?

Boot camp is your safest option. Daybreak dislikes vm's and warns its player base against using them to play EQ. I've been boot-camping for years without issue.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
VMs are very much one of those hard and fast rules that will get you banned. It apparently makes it easier to cheat which is comical considering the rampant cheating going on already if you pay attention.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
This is more of an Isboxer / Hardware issue than directly EQ, but it involves EQ. I don’t know what the problem is exactly, but I am playing on a laptop that uses the Nvidia Optimus thing, it uses an Intel HD 4600 and an Nvidia GTX 770M. When I set EQ to use the Nvidia and run EQ from the launcher, it works fine, loads fast, looks better, etc. but won’t run from Isboxer/Innerspace, I have to set it to use the HD 4600 in order for it to run from Innerspace. Anyone else have this problem and a fix for it? It’s Windows 10.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
daybreak deleted my sk for some reason. rip everquest, i have fond nostalgic memories of you, from 2001-now, but after this, i cant. we had fun, some laughs, losing my corpse, taking months to get to level 65 back in the day, planes of power...ahhh

nostalgia

i guess ill log back in my other account when they finally shut you down like they did SWG , but ill miss my yearly login around the anniversary to explore the old stupid zones

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

BJA posted:

This is more of an Isboxer / Hardware issue than directly EQ, but it involves EQ. I don’t know what the problem is exactly, but I am playing on a laptop that uses the Nvidia Optimus thing, it uses an Intel HD 4600 and an Nvidia GTX 770M. When I set EQ to use the Nvidia and run EQ from the launcher, it works fine, loads fast, looks better, etc. but won’t run from Isboxer/Innerspace, I have to set it to use the HD 4600 in order for it to run from Innerspace. Anyone else have this problem and a fix for it? It’s Windows 10.

There might be a setting in the nvidia control panel or something similar where you can force the Innerspace window to use the graphics card.

Pon de Bundy posted:

daybreak deleted my sk for some reason. rip everquest, i have fond nostalgic memories of you, from 2001-now, but after this, i cant. we had fun, some laughs, losing my corpse, taking months to get to level 65 back in the day, planes of power...ahhh

nostalgia

i guess ill log back in my other account when they finally shut you down like they did SWG , but ill miss my yearly login around the anniversary to explore the old stupid zones
When was the last time you played, recently or like 10 years ago? A bunch of servers merged, or you might have got hacked and moved to FV/Deleted.

Dompy Bear
Sep 9, 2004
Have you had your gin today?
Starting a 3box on Test. SK/Shaman/????(currently bard for the utility but i fear I'll be lacking in DPS. Open to recommendations here.)

Working on getting the SK his epic 1.0 with my 85 druid and WOWZO I'm already stuck trying to get the darkforge armor.

Someone testcopy me some love or just shoot me in the head before I start seriously playing this game again.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Wizard

1 button DPS for days, ports, and caster so no melee to move around besides tank, double invis too.

And you don't need the faction/darkforge quests to get SK epic anymore

darkhand fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 4, 2016

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
The 1.5 pre-quest for SKs is like 3 fights and a lot easier than doing the actual SK epic, if you just want to skip it.

e: If you need any help with fights I've got a 85 SK/Shaman/Bard (lol), I'm not actively playing but I wouldn't mind logging on.

suuma fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 4, 2016

Dompy Bear
Sep 9, 2004
Have you had your gin today?
Yeah, I was wanting the SK 1.0 simply because you can use it at 25 and I thought it would be fun to have pre-50s.

I'll try a Wizard out, but will the lack of CC hurt me in the later stages? I don't plan on doing more than 3 characters.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
You have a puller in a SK so not really. Some later places might suck without harder CC if you decide to do some expeditions on level but your general life is going to really suck doing a low dps party like sk/shaman/bard. With the comp suggested and good macros you can have them do their own thing with no problems and mainly focus on your SK.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Dompy Bear posted:

Yeah, I was wanting the SK 1.0 simply because you can use it at 25 and I thought it would be fun to have pre-50s.

I'll try a Wizard out, but will the lack of CC hurt me in the later stages? I don't plan on doing more than 3 characters.

Some of the epic NPCs will eat items if you're below 46.

And the SK 1.0 is a huge pain in the rear end.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

darkhand posted:

There might be a setting in the nvidia control panel or something similar where you can force the Innerspace window to use the graphics card.

When was the last time you played, recently or like 10 years ago? A bunch of servers merged, or you might have got hacked and moved to FV/Deleted.

i had played that character roughly the same time of the anniversary last year.

hacked? i doubt this, as my password was the same, and well thats not very likely. my other account is fine that is associated with the same email.

i only want to play for nostalgia sake, as i can see that EQ that i have played on and off since 2001 is slowly starting to die since daybreak took over.

i can still login to my other account and play the 8 characters there, but its still annoying and makes me not want to even bother

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Pon de Bundy posted:

i had played that character roughly the same time of the anniversary last year.

hacked? i doubt this, as my password was the same, and well thats not very likely. my other account is fine that is associated with the same email.

i only want to play for nostalgia sake, as i can see that EQ that i have played on and off since 2001 is slowly starting to die since daybreak took over.

i can still login to my other account and play the 8 characters there, but its still annoying and makes me not want to even bother

Does your character select only display 8 characters? And would your SK be listed below those alphabetically? Having more characters on an account than your membership has access to can cause problems with displaying the full list, and only some will be accessible.

SOE doesn't auto-purge characters. Except for clearing low level characters during the server mergers years ago. So your SK is either hidden below your other characters, or was deleted/transferred by someone with access to your account. Or you could be logging on to the wrong server.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Dompy Bear posted:

Starting a 3box on Test. SK/Shaman/????(currently bard for the utility but i fear I'll be lacking in DPS. Open to recommendations here.)

Working on getting the SK his epic 1.0 with my 85 druid and WOWZO I'm already stuck trying to get the darkforge armor.

Someone testcopy me some love or just shoot me in the head before I start seriously playing this game again.
Seconding a Wizard, if not just for the ports and evacs. It's okay to trot around on foot with PoK stones and clickies if you're solo, but with a box crew it's too much.

I run a 4-box with no CC, but my Monk can pull almost anything, and my Shaman can do that super-root AA that knocks back and roots the majority of mobs for several minutes. Doing just fine like that.

jetz0r posted:

Does your character select only display 8 characters? And would your SK be listed below those alphabetically? Having more characters on an account than your membership has access to can cause problems with displaying the full list, and only some will be accessible.

SOE doesn't auto-purge characters. Except for clearing low level characters during the server mergers years ago. So your SK is either hidden below your other characters, or was deleted/transferred by someone with access to your account. Or you could be logging on to the wrong server.
jetz0r is correct, SOE/DBG hasn't deleted any characters in well over a decade. I've found an 11-year-old level 2 character on a random rear end server I had made.

Do you remember your character's name? Then go into your EQ directory and search for a files by that name - there will be files named UI_charname_servername.ini, for example UI_Myshadowknight_fenninro.ini or similar, which holds the UI settings. If you had logging turned on, there will also be similarly named .txt files in the \Logs subdirectory. That will give you the servername for sure.

Try deleting low level chars on the server and see; log out and back in between deletions to make sure.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

jetz0r posted:

I petitioned and well...he's still there and on a different account of mine ...oops ..don't drink and game
Folks ...

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Pon de Bundy posted:

I petitioned and well...he's still there and on a different account of mine ...oops ..don't drink and game
Folks ...

Well, at least you don't have a benzo addiction/habit.

Rlazgoth
Oct 10, 2003
I attack people at random.
After reading this thread and finding out the game is now free to play, I decided to try and recover my decade-old account. Turns out the account was hacked since I stopped playing, but after talking with CS I managed to recover it with all my old characters and gear intact.

I stopped playing around the time epics 1.5/2.0 were released, didn't end up finishing them. I have a 68 paladin with a mix of PoP/OoW gear and 300ish AA's. What's the best place to go for leveling? I tried soloing PoFire/Air zone-in mobs and got destroyed, so I'm guessing Paladins are still utter poo poo. Any recommendations for easy leveling?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rlazgoth posted:

After reading this thread and finding out the game is now free to play, I decided to try and recover my decade-old account. Turns out the account was hacked since I stopped playing, but after talking with CS I managed to recover it with all my old characters and gear intact.

I stopped playing around the time epics 1.5/2.0 were released, didn't end up finishing them. I have a 68 paladin with a mix of PoP/OoW gear and 300ish AA's. What's the best place to go for leveling? I tried soloing PoFire/Air zone-in mobs and got destroyed, so I'm guessing Paladins are still utter poo poo. Any recommendations for easy leveling?

Probably stating the obvious here but maker sure you have a Mercenary if you plan on soloing.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
A 68 J1 tank merc can probably solo PoFire mobs, at least in Castle1. Particularly with paladin splash healing and the like going on. Otherwise, you can roll with a healer merc and spend 45 minutes killing each mob.

I'd stay in Fire til 70 or later, myself. There're other places you could go, but Fire is just too good and mobs in later expansions just hit too hard. What server are you on? Best bet for gear at 68 is to probably just fill up on Elaborate(?) Defiant and whatever else you can snag out of the Bazaar until 80, then go full Abstruse if you can.

If you're on Test, you can autogrant AAs and you'll get a shitton for free as you level up through 85 (90 now?). Otherwise you have to pay for a subscription to get them.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

suuma posted:

If you're on Test, you can autogrant AAs and you'll get a shitton for free as you level up through 85 (90 now?).

It autogrants to VoA (95) now that TBM is out, not sure if you have to buy TBM (or TDS) to get autogrant to go that high though.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Yeah autogrant yourself some AAs through checkbox in the AA window. Then grab J1 merc like a tank and hit PoFire. Later you'll probably use a wizard merc or cleric. Defiant armor will boost your stats a lot, grab a knight weapon if you can too.

Knights just kinda suck pre-71ish(?) like most characters. Once you get a few levels your AAs will grow through the roof and be a lot more powerful, then you have a million billion zones to run around through, swarming/slaying undead.

When you find a comfy exp spot, don't forget the Lesson of the Devoted AA that gives double exp. There's also a guy in pok called Franklin Teek that gives "daily quests " that are pretty good exp.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 5, 2016

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

darkhand posted:

That's actually the problem, when I force it to use the nvidia card, EQ won't launch through innerspace, it just launches a black box. If I run EQ alone throught the nvidia it runs fine.

Rlazgoth
Oct 10, 2003
I attack people at random.
I didn't want to pay the subscription for now so I just copied to the test server and got the AA grant from there, plus a journeyman merc. Nevertheless, after grinding for a while in PoFire it doesn't feel like the game has really changed much in this level range. Paladins were terrible back in 2003 and soloing as one is still an excruciating experience. I am under the required level for gear from later expansions so it might change after 70, but 68 is still as lovely was it ever was.

Incidentally, are epics 1.5 and 2.0 still worth getting other than for bragging rights? I got my FD back when 1.5 was released but never finished the quest since it required instances which were nigh impossible to tank with a paladin unless you had high-end raid gear.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Most 2.0s are still worth it, especially if you're close to the intended level (70). Most of the 1.5s can be done in a single group around 70-75, same for most of the 2.0s except Anguish (which is only slightly harder because you can't use mercs at all there).

I'm not actively playing, but I wouldn't mind logging on some time if you want help with your epic(s). I've got a group around 85 that can do all of them with no issues, though I haven't tried to do Anguish since I was 80 (which didn't go very well).

e: IIRC the paladin 2.0 is only difficult because it still (?) requires having 10 players in the raid at one point, and involves a LDON expedition you can't use mercenaries in.

suuma fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 6, 2016

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Rlazgoth posted:

I didn't want to pay the subscription for now so I just copied to the test server and got the AA grant from there, plus a journeyman merc. Nevertheless, after grinding for a while in PoFire it doesn't feel like the game has really changed much in this level range. Paladins were terrible back in 2003 and soloing as one is still an excruciating experience. I am under the required level for gear from later expansions so it might change after 70, but 68 is still as lovely was it ever was.

Incidentally, are epics 1.5 and 2.0 still worth getting other than for bragging rights? I got my FD back when 1.5 was released but never finished the quest since it required instances which were nigh impossible to tank with a paladin unless you had high-end raid gear.
Frankly all classes are a bit iffy soloing through the 70's. Unless you, for some highly unlikely reason, dabble into what was back then current group and raid content, your Defiant and Bazaar-bought gear starts to taper off in relative power, and the Tank mercenary is no longer as overpowered as it was at low levels. Your spells and skills only slooowly increase in power, but mobs hit like trucks compared to the old school content you XP'd on in the 60's. The 70's are thus a bit of a slog, but you can look forward to level 80, where you can get sick upgrades in gear (House of Thule tier1 gear) for very little cash (relatively speaking - 20-30k should cover most slots), and then it starts to get fun again.

Look into adding a box immediately and it'll be a lot more fun. Pallies are really low DPS and need some help.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I'm one of those people who plays for a couple days per year just revisiting Classic content for nostalgia's sake.

Today I got a Fungus Covered Scale Tunic off my second Myconid Spore King kill.

I never had a fungi before. Hah :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I'm one of those people who plays for a couple days per year just revisiting Classic content for nostalgia's sake.

Today I got a Fungus Covered Scale Tunic off my second Myconid Spore King kill.

I never had a fungi before. Hah :P
Did you also go visit Trakanon? :) Not that he's up very often, that is.