Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Many thanks, EW, that's exactly what I was looking for. If I get a chance later today I'll total up the population covered by all circuits but 5-8 and post it

Wikipedia has that already done.

5–8 cover about a third of the population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

quote:

E: beaten? I can't see an image in the post above mine, but maybe it's just the device I'm on.

I was commenting on how large his map is.

frood
Aug 26, 2000
Nevermind.

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Many thanks, EW, that's exactly what I was looking for. If I get a chance later today I'll total up the population covered by all circuits but 5-8 and post it, but just looking at the map I would think Democratic leaning circuits would cover a relatively substantial majority of the population.

Nevermind all the rest of the circuits, the 9th circuit alone has a huge percentage of the population just by virtue of having California and... well, basically any other state. That's why there's been so much handwringing about breaking it up, it has a disproportional population impact.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Fell Fire posted:

You joke, but I remember when reading the oral arguments for Safford Unified School District v. Redding (school strip search of a thirteen year old) that all the old men on the court were reminiscing about dumb locker room antics. It really seemed like the case was going to rule the searches as constitutional and I think Justice Ginsburg must have spoken to them privately.

I seem to recall Scalia being absolutely brutal to the school district during arguments.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

frood posted:

Nevermind all the rest of the circuits, the 9th circuit alone has a huge percentage of the population just by virtue of having California and... well, basically any other state. That's why there's been so much handwringing about breaking it up, it has a disproportional population impact.

It's also so big that an "en banc" review (where all judges hear the case instead of three random ones) actually is just a larger random panel.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

From the perspective of our law-talkin' goons, what would be the advantages and disadvantages of breaking up the 9th? And, side question, what are the proposed models for breaking it up, and how much support do they have from various quarters?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Squizzle posted:

From the perspective of our law-talkin' goons, what would be the advantages and disadvantages of breaking up the 9th? And, side question, what are the proposed models for breaking it up, and how much support do they have from various quarters?

The main blocking point is who decides who goes where and if there's any new vacancies. Circuits have split before so they'd just follow that model, but it's hard to do without a single party in control of the White House/Congress/Senate since it gives a lot of power to manipulate the makeup of both new courts.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

evilweasel posted:

Circuits have split before so they'd just follow that model
For 30 years the most common citation in the 11th Circuit was to Bonner v. City of Prichard, usually in the following footnote:

quote:

In Bonner v. City of Prichard, 661 F.2d 1206, 1209 (11th Cir. 1981) (en banc), this court adopted as binding precedent all decisions of the former Fifth Circuit handed down prior to October 1, 1981.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

evilweasel posted:

The main blocking point is who decides who goes where and if there's any new vacancies. Circuits have split before so they'd just follow that model, but it's hard to do without a single party in control of the White House/Congress/Senate since it gives a lot of power to manipulate the makeup of both new courts.

Previous models won't help too much, I don't think.

The two prior times they split circuits it was always along state boundaries and was always roughly dividing it so the work went 50-50.

The problem is that California alone handles at least 50% of the caseload, so either the 13h is going to just be California or they have to split it somehow, because the concept of having one state be an entire circuit is a bit of an anathema to Congress.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ayn rand hand job posted:

Previous models won't help too much, I don't think.

The two prior times they split circuits it was always along state boundaries and was always roughly dividing it so the work went 50-50.

The problem is that California alone handles at least 50% of the caseload, so either the 13h is going to just be California or they have to split it somehow, because the concept of having one state be an entire circuit is a bit of an anathema to Congress.

There's no way you split a state between different circuits. You can't have half of the state with a different law than the other half. You'd absolutely make the California Circuit.

frood
Aug 26, 2000
Nevermind.

evilweasel posted:

There's no way you split a state between different circuits. You can't have half of the state with a different law than the other half. You'd absolutely make the California Circuit.

The alternative, if you were dead-set against making a state a single circuit, would be to combine California with a low population state. Wyoming would be ideal, but they're not going to move it out of the 10th just to make this work. You could probably make Alaska work, though. An extra 738,000 people on top of the ~39 million already in California is one step up from a rounding error.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

evilweasel posted:

Four justices isn't a majority.

There is a majority for the holding because the vote on the holding is 5-3, but there is no majority opinion.

Do you actually have to have 5 justices to call it a majority? I get that it's a 4 justice opinion and thus less precedence value

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

EwokEntourage posted:

Do you actually have to have 5 justices to call it a majority? I get that it's a 4 justice opinion and thus less precedence value

You have to have 5 justices to call it a majority if there are 8 or 9 justices participating in the case, yes.

If there are only 7 justices participating, 4 would be enough for a majority opinion. I think there's at least one case like that right now?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ulmont posted:

If there are only 7 justices participating, 4 would be enough for a majority opinion. I think there's at least one case like that right now?

Fisher v. University of Texas

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem
New 9th would be CA, HI, AK (no other circuit has less than three states) and the Pacific territories, with the 12th Circuit being the remainder with a new HQ in Seattle, Las Vegas or Phoenix.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Fisher v. University of Texas

Puerto Rico v. Franklin Cal. Tax-Free Trust was the one I was thinking of (Alito recused), but yes, Fisher too.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
This seems like a great signal:

A Near-Epiphany at the Supreme Court: The justices come close to recognizing the perilous state of the American public-defense system

quote:

In a 5-3 decision in Luis v. United States on Wednesday, the U.S. Supreme Court forbade the government from seizing legitimate funds defendants could use to hire a lawyer of their choice. Along the way, the justices came close to asking a more troubling question: Does America’s underfunded public-defender system meet the Sixth Amendment’s standards for adequate legal counsel?

[...]

In his plurality opinion, Breyer expressed alarm at the right-to-counsel implications in the government’s position. “How are defendants whose innocent assets are frozen in cases like these supposed to pay for a lawyer—particularly if they lack ‘tainted assets’ because they are innocent, a class of defendants whom the right to counsel certainly seeks to protect?” Then he made an interesting divergence. Indeed, what would happen if Luis and others like her could no longer afford to pay for a lawyer?

“These defendants, rendered indigent, would fall back upon publicly paid counsel, including overworked and underpaid public defenders,” he continued. “As the Department of Justice explains, only 27 percent of county-based public defender offices have sufficient attorneys to meet nationally recommended caseload standards. And as one amicus points out, ‘[m]any federal public defender organizations and lawyers appointed under the Criminal Justice Act serve numerous clients and have only limited resources.’”

“The upshot,” Breyer concluded, “is a substantial risk that accepting the Government’s views would—by increasing the government-paid-defender workload—render less effective the basic right the Sixth Amendment seeks to protect.”

Breyer’s logic is worth following to its endpoint. He acknowledges that throwing Luis and others like her to the public-defender system would weaken her Sixth Amendment rights to effective counsel. But what does that say about the constitutional rights of poor defendants who have no other choice?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Has the issue of the inadequacy of the public defender system ever come before SCOTUS?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

alnilam posted:

Has the issue of the inadequacy of the public defender system ever come before SCOTUS?

if it ever will, it will be through the mess going on in Louisiana right now

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

alnilam posted:

I emailed a couple colleagues who do legal aid advocacy to ask, but I think the answer's no - or at least, not since the case 50-odd years ago that forced them to establish the system in the first place.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

alnilam posted:

If you can get something appealed to the Supreme Court, it is relatively unlikely you have inappropriate counsel, so . . .

But I expect that to be quoted in a lot of appellate briefs real soon.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you can get something appealed to the Supreme Court, it is relatively unlikely you have inappropriate counsel, so . . .

That Muslim inmate from a term or two ago was pro se right up until the SCOTUS granted his petition. I think someone argued for him before the SCOTUS though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rygar201 posted:

That Muslim inmate from a term or two ago was pro se right up until the SCOTUS granted his petition. I think someone argued for him before the SCOTUS though.

I read his briefs there were at least 1l quality.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

euphronius posted:

I read his briefs there were at least 1l quality.

Weren't they written on yellow legal pad paper in pen? Hope the dude gets a chance once he is out.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rygar201 posted:

Yeah it happens but how many successful out of how many filed? The successful pro se litigant at that level is a unicorn.

More to the point, though, if you've successfully appealed to the Supreme Court as a pro se litigant, you arguably had access to competent counsel the entire time -- yourself (even if you were actually represented by an incompetent public defender at trial, that was your choice to accept that representation). Therefore, at least as to the particular appellant, the issue is moot.

I don't know enough about criminal law to know if this argument has validity -- it's facile as gently caress -- but it seems like an obvious barrier, and the Court has in the past accepted incredibly facile arguments when it suited policy goals (as the entire doctrine of asset forfeiture demonstrates).

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 31, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gerund posted:

Weren't they written on yellow legal pad paper in pen? Hope the dude gets a chance once he is out.

http://sblog.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Muhammad-Cert-Petition.pdf

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
https://twitter.com/atlblog/status/715626458576785410

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Leave it as ASSoL so it can easily be pronounced as "rear end in a top hat"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

:lol:

The loving Koch brothers bought a law school rename for Scalia. Burn this country to the ground.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
That has to be early april fool's, right?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Not really. The appellate counsel just offers to represent someone at the appellate level after they defended themselves or had a public defender at trial, appealing based on ineffective assistance of counsel. Happens all the time in the death penalty context.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

actually lolling irl

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

Not really. The appellate counsel just offers to represent someone at the appellate level after they defended themselves or had a public defender at trial, appealing based on ineffective assistance of counsel. Happens all the time in the death penalty context.

But death penalty cases are getting rarer (thankfully) and outside of death penalty cases there is very, very little public assistance out there to provide attorneys for criminal defendants at the appellate level. (To my knowledge that's something that's really only available in death penalty cases). There are a lot of pro se criminal appeals, and they almost always -- ninety nine out of a hundred or worse -- go nowhere.

Of course when we're talking Supreme Court the numbers may be so small anyway that even the relatively small pool of death penalty cases is relatively large compared to the pool of cases that reach the Supreme Court.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

To use British terminology were not talking about ineffective barristers. We're talking about ineffective solicitors.

That's not exact really.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 1, 2016

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

But death penalty cases are getting rarer (thankfully) and outside of death penalty cases there is very, very little public assistance out there to provide attorneys for criminal defendants at the appellate level. (To my knowledge that's something that's really only available in death penalty cases). There are a lot of pro se criminal appeals, and they almost always -- ninety nine out of a hundred or worse -- go nowhere.

Of course when we're talking Supreme Court the numbers may be so small anyway that even the relatively small pool of death penalty cases is relatively large compared to the pool of cases that reach the Supreme Court.

Yeah, but you only need one - and a lot of the biglaw firms doing those death penalty appeals would murder someone themselves to argue that case at the supreme court.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

That has to be early april fool's, right?

https://www2.gmu.edu/news/200906

quote:

The Antonin Scalia Scholarship, named after the late Supreme Court Justice, will be awarded based on excellent academic credentials.

The A. Linwood Holton, Jr., Leadership Scholarship, named in honor of the former Virginia governor, will go to students who have overcome barriers to academic success and demonstrated outstanding leadership qualities or have helped others overcome discrimination.

The F.A. Hayek Law, Legislation, and Liberty Scholarship, named for the 1974 Nobel Prize winner in economics, will be awarded to students interested in studying the application of economic principles to the law.

With permission from the donor’s family, the law school also will be renamed the Antonin Scalia School of Law at George Mason University, in honor of the late Supreme Court justice and longtime Northern Virginia resident.

Honestly if I hadn't read it from GMU's website I would have said it was too blatant for it to be anything other than April Fool's. I hadn't known anything about this Holton guy but assumed he was some kind of shitbag until I read up on him. Maybe they don't know who he is :ohdear:

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 1, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I think at the end of the day "the entire public defender system in America is so drastically underfunded that thousands of people are effectively not getting counsel" is one of those arguments that is at the same time obviously true to the casual observer and an argument whose legitimacy courts are almost never going to recognize due to the inherent biases and nature of the legal system.

It's akin to acknowledging that the drug war was a horrible crime against humanity, or that probably 5-10% of convicted criminals are in fact innocent and wrongfully convicted, or that the justice system as a whole is so racist that it's an open question as to whether or not it's possible for a black male to get a fair trail. If the court system acknowledged its truth it would delegitimize the courts themselves as institutions and judges themselves as professionals, so it's not going to happen (or at least not without a much more radically left wing Supreme Court than we have now).

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 1, 2016

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There's also the problem that courts are loath to impose positive rights, and saying the government must spend more money on public defenders is different from saying the government can't freeze particular assets.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
The issue with underfunded public defenders is a common one throughout common law countries with adversarial systems. Does anyone know if the civil law non adversarial systems have the same issues? Or if they do, are they to the extent that we do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Chamale posted:

There's also the problem that courts are loath to impose positive rights, and saying the government must spend more money on public defenders is different from saying the government can't freeze particular assets.

The justice system is the one area of the law where they've gone full hog with positive rights though? I mean, this is the system where you have the right to force 6-12 of your peers, under the threat of law, to serve without pay in judging your case. It's the system where you have a right to a public defender, period. It's a system practically dominated by positive rights that would be seen as egregious violations in other contexts. I don't doubt that they don't want to look at it too closely, but I don't think it's a fear of positive rights holding them back.