Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Soricidus posted:

pics or it didn't happen

ubuntu on win10 I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

ahmeni posted:

my only hope is that it's hundreds of RHEL5 stickers because nothing would make me happier

i am going to send you something even more redhatt-y but i am still in the fulfillment phase

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
reinstalled fedora instead of attempting to rescue it from fglrx. now I'm trying to figure out why my wifi adapter (7265 7260) fails overnight. "can't wake NIC" says the console, and "failed to load ucode" when I suspend it and wake it back up. works for a while on restart, though.

do I blame Linux, or Intel, or both? Maybe fedora 23 just has a hosed up firmware for the 7265 7260 :shrug:

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 1, 2016

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
https://twitter.com/abock/status/715283610857648128

rms dies of apoplexy

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

broken clock opsec posted:

ubuntu on win10 I guess

piling garbage on top of garbage doesn't get you not-garbage

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

eschaton posted:

it gets you os x

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

eschaton posted:

- + - = +

so yes

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

it's over boys. pack it in. we all have seen the news. rip

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lmao

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Guys guys guys.

I have a desktop.
It has Linux on it.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

well i moved to the steamos kernel & video drivers and it broke my dmenu. wonderful. looks like im launching poo poo from terminal till i figure it out

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

maybe ill just use this time to try fedora and see why you guys all use it

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

b0red posted:

well i moved to the <Linux flavor of the week> kernel & video drivers and it broke <essential thing>. wonderful. looks like im launching poo poo from terminal till i figure it out

lol linux

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
more like "i mix and matched random poo poo to build some special snowflake setup and it didn't work out of the box lol linux"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dmenu

quote:

dmenu is a fast and lightweight dynamic menu for X. It reads arbitrary text from stdin, and creates a menu with one item for each line. The user can then select an item, through the arrow keys or typing a part of the name, and the line is printed to stdout. dmenu_run is a wrapper that ships with the dmenu distribution that allows its use as an application launcher.

"essential thing"

i've never even heard of this poo poo before today

ffs just use gnome like what passes for a linux-desktop-having normal person. or don't complain when you have to manually set that sort of thing up.

how much do you want to bet the author of this dmenu thing has Systemd Opinions

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
well tbh dmenu owns and lol if you use you mouse to do non-browsing computer stuff, like especially on linux

i mean using dmenu isnt different from using spotlight on os x

Olivil fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 31, 2016

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
tried to set up a fedora vm during an internet outage. the only image I had to hand was the fedora server 23 iso

all worked fine actually, the point of this story is that it appears, from what I can see, that the fedora server iso includes packages for extreme tux racer

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

My Linux Rig posted:

lol gnu/linux

dmenu isn't really that essential and gnome still works fine. it's just my special snowflake setup broke which is expected sometimes

Mr Dog posted:

more like "i mix and matched random poo poo to build some special snowflake setup and it didn't work out of the box lol linux"

tbh it's not even that special. just wanted to see if the latest steamos poo poo would give me better fps or something.

Mr Dog posted:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dmenu

"essential thing"

i've never even heard of this poo poo before today

ffs just use gnome like what passes for a linux-desktop-having normal person. or don't complain when you have to manually set that sort of thing up.

how much do you want to bet the author of this dmenu thing has Systemd Opinions

wasn't really complaining. just kinda like lol since steamos is debian based so was hoping it'd go well. dmenu is good though.

b0red fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 31, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

so apparently iwlwifi and/or the firmware for the Intel 7265 7260, their flagship wifi adapter (until recently), is mysteriously/ineffably hosed somehow. nobody knows why and the relevant bug I could find on kernel.org is marked WILL_NOT_FIX

it might be loading the wrong, older firmware version? or the adapter doesn't support new firmware versions and it's trying to load a new one? or there's something wrong with the PCI bus??

possible solutions I've seen people suggest/try with varying success:
  • disable adapter power management
  • disable 802.11n and use 802.11g instead
  • change the firmware somehow
  • get a different wifi adapter
I'd try one of these, but I'm away from the computer and can't ssh in because the wifi adapter locks up after a few hours and the driver just says "failed to wake nic for hcmd" and/or "could not load the 0 ucode section" if I suspend and resume.

i'm just going to install the fedora 24 alpha and hope they changed something. I think I have an old router somewhere, so if that doesn't work I'll just set it up as a wifi client and connect to it via ethernet

we need :dice: but for linux

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Link to the bug report?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

atomicthumbs posted:

so apparently iwlwifi and/or the firmware for the Intel 7265, their flagship wifi adapter (until recently), is mysteriously/ineffably hosed somehow. nobody knows why and the relevant bug I could find on kernel.org is marked WILL_NOT_FIX

it might be loading the wrong, older firmware version? or the adapter doesn't support new firmware versions and it's trying to load a new one? or there's something wrong with the PCI bus??

possible solutions I've seen people suggest/try with varying success:
  • disable adapter power management
  • disable 802.11n and use 802.11g instead
  • change the firmware somehow
  • get a different wifi adapter
I'd try one of these, but I'm away from the computer and can't ssh in because the wifi adapter locks up after a few hours and the driver just says "failed to wake nic for hcmd" and/or "could not load the 0 ucode section" if I suspend and resume.

i'm just going to install the fedora 24 alpha and hope they changed something. I think I have an old router somewhere, so if that doesn't work I'll just set it up as a wifi client and connect to it via ethernet

we need :dice: but for linux

Its clear linux is not for you, linux does not want you, stop trying to force the relationship

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Celexi posted:

Its clear linux is not for you, linux does not want you, stop trying to force the relationship

I'm going to make this work if I have to cut the linux into pieces and cram it in a freezer

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
whats your laptop?

linux works on my macbook air of all things
only thing is the broadcom wireless adapter isnt supported in-kernel so i had to install a dkms pacakge on arch

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Olivil posted:

whats your laptop?

only thing is the broadcom wireless adapter isnt supported in-kernel so i had to install a dkms pacakge on arch
kext me

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

atomicthumbs posted:

I'm going to make this work if I have to cut the linux into pieces and cram it in a freezer
...pos my nix whole?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Olivil posted:

whats your laptop?

It's a desktop with the 7265 7260 installed in the mpcie slot

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

heh

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!
Linux on a laptop is a miserable experience unless it's a thinkpad. Even then, it's not that good. Please don't even get me started.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i had kubuntu with kde 3.something on my old p3 compaq and i used opera 9 and it worked great with 64mb of ram

much better than contemporary windows i tell you what

e: pretty sure it was breezy badger. i still have the discs they mailed me somewhere.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I'm actually having more problems with Fedora now than I did with Fedora Core 1 and when I used that I had to go to school to download rpm dependancies onto a cd-rw each day because my parents still had dialup. every day I'd have a new set of dependencies, caused by the previous set

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

fond memories of installing linux for the first time from CDs in the back of a library book

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

nosl posted:

Linux on a laptop is a miserable experience unless it's a thinkpad. Even then, it's not that good. Please don't even get me started.

You must have had bad luck. It's worked fine for me on the dell and asus laptops I've had.

Sleep/resume, external monitor support, sd card adapter... not to mention sound and video... they work out of the box.

But I've known people that have bleeding edge hardware and they need to wait for the next release of their distribution of choice before things work ok.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
Maybe I am in the minority but AMD stuff is fine as long as you:

1) Get an nvidia card that nouveau supports
2) Turn off C1E in the bios if you need to

Yeah, those can be big caveats for some people but the video card I got for my desktop was $20 or something.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

celeron 300a posted:

Maybe I am in the minority but AMD stuff is fine as long as you:

1) Get an nvidia card that nouveau supports

uh

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i was sorta down on this whole "linux on the desktop" thing but having something that finishes booting from bootloader to desktop in 13s, including typing my password, is pretty nice.

the only computer I've used that's faster is a macintosh SE or SE/30 loading System 6 from a hard drive.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i changed the system font to lucida grande and now it looks like a real computer

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
why are you rebooting your computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

atomicthumbs posted:

i changed the system font to lucida grande and now it looks like a real computer

if you also switch to olwm it'll look like an old Sun