Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Help me I'm in Akihabara I'm suffering culture shock from seeing all those gross anime nerds in their pilgrim clothes.

Compared to hakone it's another form of hell. But going through random side streets and eating the fruit and vegetables makes the trip way more fun than my average sub par meals and average sub par onsen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

caberham posted:

Help me I'm in Akihabara I'm suffering culture shock from seeing all those gross anime nerds in their pilgrim clothes.

Compared to hakone it's another form of hell. But going through random side streets and eating the fruit and vegetables makes the trip way more fun than my average sub par meals and average sub par onsen

Foreign or Japanese anime nerds? Both are there but I guess the foreign ones are worse.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

caberham posted:

You mentioned this before but, what's wrong with Hakone? I've been there a few years ago and really enjoyed my stay. It was the first I had ever been to an onsen/ryokan so that might have colored my view a bit, but I really enjoyed the roundtrip as well.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Freaksaus posted:

You mentioned this before but, what's wrong with Hakone? I've been there a few years ago and really enjoyed my stay. It was the first I had ever been to an onsen/ryokan so that might have colored my view a bit, but I really enjoyed the roundtrip as well.

It sounds like you're a glass is half full kind of guy

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016
I've got the rest of my Tokyo days pretty much planned but does anyone in Kyoto, Osaka, Fukuoka or Nagoya want to hang out when I'm there?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

What do you guys think

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
peanut how long did it take you to decide on this thread title? or how many beers deep before you just said "gently caress it" and pounded the keyboard for three seconds

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ugh read (the post immediately below) the op

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I guess I'll add some content. Here's my Japanese wedding report. I finally had my wedding ceremony here in Japan last weekend. I wore some cool Japanese haori hakama for part of it and then changed into a white tux. My wife's friends dressed up like cheerleaders halfway through and danced to a song to really drive home the fact we are in Japan. We also mixed the ceremony with my son's okuizome, and we mocked feeding him while everyone screamed KAWAIIIIII. I ended up at some izakaya with my friends from USA and England and some of my wife's friends and we had a mock sumo fight in front of a famous sumo wrestler statue at like 1am.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

peanut posted:

What do you guys think

Goku is very popular.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

caberham posted:

Akihabara is hot garbage.

Nipponbashi/Den-Den Town is where it's at.

(fight me)

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Akihabara is seriously bad aesthetically and audibly, but you can get good cheap poo poo there...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Super Potato has ruined My Precious Japanese Games.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Phone posted:

Super Potato has ruined My Precious Japanese Games.

I bought my nephews a shitload of Mario toys from there. Needs suited.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

The Great Autismo! posted:

I guess I'll add some content. Here's my Japanese wedding report. I finally had my wedding ceremony here in Japan last weekend. I wore some cool Japanese haori hakama for part of it and then changed into a white tux. My wife's friends dressed up like cheerleaders halfway through and danced to a song to really drive home the fact we are in Japan. We also mixed the ceremony with my son's okuizome, and we mocked feeding him while everyone screamed KAWAIIIIII. I ended up at some izakaya with my friends from USA and England and some of my wife's friends and we had a mock sumo fight in front of a famous sumo wrestler statue at like 1am.

More like okama, :laffo:

Nah, sounds cool. Grats dude!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Phone posted:

Akihabara is hot garbage.

Nipponbashi/Den-Den Town is where it's at.

(fight me)

The gently caress is Nipponbashi?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's a shopping district

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

The gently caress is Nipponbashi?

He means Osaka.

I'm picking aikiba because the hotel is right next to the JR and all the places in kanda and Ginza are full.

I like to be on this side of town because it's close to my friend stringent and I get to hang out with him for lunch and then hit up ueno park and the museums there.

Also shimbashi has a really diverse restaurant bridge which reeks of gentrification which suits me very very much. Still pockets of cool authentic stuff and pricey new poo poo.

As for why hakone is bad, it's not bad bad, just that the whole area is relatively pricier than other places like Nikko. You can definitely find high quality ryokans but they get filled up easily. I do admit I like to throw up a stink and exaggerate things especially when it comes to traveling. I just feel that any ryokans don't cheap and if you want to stay in a ryokan you might as well stay in a more luxurious one. The food is much better, it's delivered to your room, and you get the sense of Japanese hospitality.

Or maybe I have just been to Japan for ages and have been to a whole bunch of places. Oh and also im getting old and don't mind spending more for quality.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
yeah I get what you mean.

I actually like ryokans where the food isnt delivered to your room. I find that too many times it leads to the okami/helper ladies taking forever since they have to go from room to room, or that there are some inconsistencies in the food. Im perfectly fine with eating in a close to private room with maybe 1 or 2 other tables.

However, the most memorable place i've ever stayed at was here, which is a minshuku. It's also pretty out there in the middle of nowhere:

http://travel.rakuten.co.jp/HOTEL/136958/136958.html

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Do you have any ryokan you'd recommend in Nikko? I was looking at going there for a day or 2 later this year.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jossos posted:

More like okama, :laffo:

Nah, sounds cool. Grats dude!

thx man! Happy wife, happy life. I just showed up for the most part :toot: though I did have to give a speech in Japanese, wah

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Freaksaus posted:

Do you have any ryokan you'd recommend in Nikko? I was looking at going there for a day or 2 later this year.

This place is the tits, stay there every year and always recommend it to friends.
http://www.bankyu.co.jp/en/

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
ya from what I hear there are some really really good ryokans between aizu wakamatsu and kinugawa onsen.

the one i rec'd is one too

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Any ryokans that kinda let you do your own thing that people want to recommend? I'm not too into anything structured. Private onsen a plus.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ntan1 posted:

yeah I get what you mean.

I actually like ryokans where the food isnt delivered to your room. I find that too many times it leads to the okami/helper ladies taking forever since they have to go from room to room, or that there are some inconsistencies in the food. Im perfectly fine with eating in a close to private room with maybe 1 or 2 other tables.

However, the most memorable place i've ever stayed at was here, which is a minshuku. It's also pretty out there in the middle of nowhere:

http://travel.rakuten.co.jp/HOTEL/136958/136958.html

Minshuku 's are great too. It's a lot more personal and the food is more home made.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Speaking of Akihabara, they're having an Oktoberfest.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

zmcnulty posted:

This place is the tits, stay there every year and always recommend it to friends.
http://www.bankyu.co.jp/en/

Thanks for this.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Spend more time in Kyushu, Abe!

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I'm in Kyoto with my parents (60+) who are showing signs of travel fatigue. We're taking it slow this time, so some light sightseeing is in order. We've got the whole day reserved for tomorrow, but we're not gonna be early wakers.

Please post your recommended itinerary for 1 day. No need to do shopping, since most of that will be done in Nagoya where they fly out from.

Asteroid Alert fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 1, 2016

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Man waking up early to go to the parks for a run along the cherry blossoms is awesome. And thanks stringent for showing me that lunch place.

Can't wait to hangout with you goons tomorrow and Sunday

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Anyone up to hang out tonight? I've been turning in too early.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Antone have places to eat around shibuya that are especially delicious?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Jake Soo posted:

I'm in Kyoto with my parents (60+) who are showing signs of travel fatigue. We're taking it slow this time, so some light sightseeing is in order. We've got the whole day reserved for tomorrow, but we're not gonna be early wakers.

Hanami (Heian Jingu? ask your hotel), day drinking, picnic, pizza, go to Uji or Otsu, public baths.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Shadowhand00 posted:

Antone have places to eat around shibuya that are especially delicious?

Just coming out of shibuya. There's Mouyan curry and there's goodbeer

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Jake Soo posted:

Please post your recommended itinerary for 1 day. No need to do shopping, since most of that will be done in Nagoya where they fly out from.

Wait wait you are researching this last minute? Some child you are. Guess filial duty is lacking in your family.

Kiyomizu dera and nijo castle with dinner in gion that's it. And take taxis wherever you go

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Ned posted:

Spend more time in Kyushu, Abe!

Yeah most definitely. Beppu next time and hopefully better than hakone

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

net work error posted:

Anyone up to hang out tonight? I've been turning in too early.

Probably not unless you privately message goons beforehand or hang out in line. There are too many goons passing by Tokyo and only cool people like me hang out with locals and see cool poo poo.

poo poo posting aside I'm sorry I'm busy with my girlfriend and other travel friend and can't hang out better luck next time

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

caberham posted:

Just coming out of shibuya. There's Mouyan curry and there's goodbeer

Those look pretty good :D

Are there any izakayas/yakitori places in the area as well or should we travel a bit for that?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Shadowhand00 posted:

Those look pretty good :D

Are there any izakayas/yakitori places in the area as well or should we travel a bit for that?

If you want yaki tori might as well go to shinjuku station under the train tracks.

Or yurakucho under the train tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Everyone hit up little smith bar courtesy of zmcnulty King gaijin of Tokyo