Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Have some brief time in Denver this weekend, more towards the Aurora side of things. After Crooked Stave, what should my priorities be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Might as well hit Great Divide across the street. Black Shirt and Epic are right around the corner too.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

The milkshake IPAs are brewed with lactose (unfermentable sugar) so that's why they're sweet. I thought the strawberry milkshake was the best one. Haven't had it recently but fresh cans tasted just like an actual milkshake.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Compusaurus posted:

Map room in Chicago has bottles of Black Tuesday. I thought it was club/brewery only? Either way I'll skull the bottle if someone covers the cost.

Edit: No I won't.

It is, but a lot of times people cheat and source a case or two from locals. And please don't, you won't die but you'll wish you had the next day (source: once drank a BT and about half a Chocolate Rain over the course of a very bad night a couple of years ago).

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

wodin posted:

It is, but a lot of times people cheat and source a case or two from locals.

They are so so completely against anything sketchy with sourcing beer so they buy every individual keg at cost without any deals. They don't even take blanket offers that distros make for buy x get one free. I highly doubt they are cheating the system to get those bottles.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

wodin posted:

It is, but a lot of times people cheat and source a case or two from locals. And please don't, you won't die but you'll wish you had the next day (source: once drank a BT and about half a Chocolate Rain over the course of a very bad night a couple of years ago).

Yeah if you're going to skull a whole BT you really need to blend it with a Filmishmish or something else sour to help cut the sweetness. Maybe add some vanilla ice cream too. This is not a sarcastic post.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Fat Lou posted:

They are so so completely against anything sketchy with sourcing beer so they buy every individual keg at cost without any deals. They don't even take blanket offers that distros make for buy x get one free. I highly doubt they are cheating the system to get those bottles.

Illinois has the three-tier system, right? if that's the case and they didn't get them from a distributor... they cheated the system.

OMG
Jul 14, 2007
So cool. Like making champagne outside the Champagne region. https://www.spontanair.com/about/

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
ugh april 1st is the lamest

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

Illinois has the three-tier system, right? if that's the case and they didn't get them from a distributor... they cheated the system.

I'm with Lou on this one. The Map Room has been around since the early 90s, and is probably one of the oldest "craft beer" bars in the country. They've been doing this long enough that I doubt they went shady. At their anniversary parties, they've had lots of generally non-distro stuff available, including BVDL on tap a few years ago. And it's not like this is without precedence: Alesmith distro'd some BA'd stuff to Madison a few years ago as a one-time-only thing. I don't see why the Bruery couldn't sell a couple cases of BT to a distributor to end up at a place like that.

Also, gently caress the Map Room.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

OMG posted:

So cool. Like making champagne outside the Champagne region. https://www.spontanair.com/about/

man, why won't it let me check out?!?!

danbanana posted:

I'm with Lou on this one. The Map Room has been around since the early 90s, and is probably one of the oldest "craft beer" bars in the country. They've been doing this long enough that I doubt they went shady. At their anniversary parties, they've had lots of generally non-distro stuff available, including BVDL on tap a few years ago. And it's not like this is without precedence: Alesmith distro'd some BA'd stuff to Madison a few years ago as a one-time-only thing. I don't see why the Bruery couldn't sell a couple cases of BT to a distributor to end up at a place like that.

Also, gently caress the Map Room.

i'm not saying they did, but it's not impossible. also, the longer i'm in the industry, the more i realize that this kind of stuff happens a lot, and i also feel like i was a bit harsh on that dude garregus that posted in here a while back when he was complaining about exactly this sort of thing.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Phanatic posted:

Have some brief time in Denver this weekend, more towards the Aurora side of things.,After Crooked Stave, what should my priorities be?

Copper Kettle, Fiction, Comrade, Vine Street are the best towards Aurora. If you are downtown, add Epic, Great Divide, Ratio, Black Shirt, and Denver Beer Co. That's about the best you'll get in that area.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
So I double checked it...it was a mislabel. It was one of their newer releases. Better than Black Tuesday? Something like that.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Compusaurus posted:

So I double checked it...it was a mislabel. It was one of their newer releases. Better than Black Tuesday? Something like that.

"So Happens It's Tuesday." Yeah, I guess that makes sense. That was on shelves.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

cryme posted:

I was hoping for paved parking lot but this isn't bad.

http://jesterkingbrewery.com/introducing-our-new-restrooms

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

danbanana posted:

"So Happens It's Tuesday." Yeah, I guess that makes sense. That was on shelves.

Has anyone tried this yet? I have two bottles in my beer closet and I've been meaning to crack one but haven't gotten around to it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Hatful and I killed a 64oz growler of poo poo w/Coconut with some friends and it was fan fuckin tastic..

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Jo3sh posted in the homebrew thread about Mosaic hops, which reminds me:
:coolfish: :woop: CHILLWAVE IS THIS MONTH :woop: :coolfish:

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Nth Doctor posted:

Jo3sh posted in the homebrew thread about Mosaic hops, which reminds me:
:coolfish: :woop: CHILLWAVE IS THIS MONTH :woop: :coolfish:

Hell yeah! Can't wait to ride that wave baby!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lyon posted:

Has anyone tried this yet? I have two bottles in my beer closet and I've been meaning to crack one but haven't gotten around to it.

Better than Black Tuesday - far more drinkable, in my opinion. If you want to drink it, you should do so soon before it starts getting really hot and stouts become a terrible idea.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

cryme posted:

I totally agree, but I actually got a kick out of this blog post by a super small local brewery.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Apparently I got an ~extremely rare release~ of some rockyard/pagosa scotch ale from some tiny rear end liquor shop next to the little caesars I frequent when I want trash pizza. I'm guessing its from may of last year which is the only news of when I can find a release so here's hoping that it's still good 10 months later

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I haven't even heard of pagosa before now and they're some tiny rear end brewery in a tiny rear end town best known for smelling like an rear end hole so I guess this makes me a beer nerd? is it terminal?

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Who woulda thunk the little Cesar's liquor store would have bottles from a release from an unknown brewery in assholestinktown. Sounds like you p much won the lottery

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Control Volume posted:

I haven't even heard of pagosa before now and they're some tiny rear end brewery in a tiny rear end town best known for smelling like an rear end hole so I guess this makes me a beer nerd? is it terminal?

ISO

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

PSA about Waterbury , VT. Stay at the Best Western Waterbury.

It's the cleanest hotel I've ever stayed at. They have fresh baked cookies when you arrive. The hotel bar has Heady/Focal cans all the time. Also Sip of Sunshine sometimes.

It's very well worth it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

LeafHouse posted:

Who woulda thunk the little Cesar's liquor store would have bottles from a release from an unknown brewery in assholestinktown. Sounds like you p much won the lottery

Ive got the same level of excitement as when i win five bucks off of a scratch ticket. im so loving hyped about this worthless beer.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
I tried that Briny Melon Gose last night. That was not what I expected at all. It wasn't bad, but it didn't taste like much of anything, let alone melons. Just tasted like the purple can but less sour. Ninja vs Unicorn is pretty good though.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Did Seacoast NH->Maine Beach beer stuff today.

1: Deciduous: Owned Owned Owned. The sours and the grisette were very good. I brought a bottle of their Fig/Maple porter home for later. Apparently they also distribute some of their bottled stuff to MA.

2: Earth Eagle Brewing: Great food, I got a duck pastrami reubuen that hit all the right notes and a crazy sour gruit. It had kasu, barberry bark, calamus, privut and horehound. Other than the horehound I'd never had any of those so I had no idea what to expect. It was outstanding.

3: SoMe: Tiny place in York, they distribute some to Boston so I was vaguely interested. The Whoopie Pie stout was solid, nothing else was super remarkable except for a Vanilla Orange Cream Ale that was nicely done.

4: Barreled Souls: This place loving owned. It's the basement of a victorian style house in Saco and they had some absolutely amazing stuff. Everything they do is barrel conditioned at minimum and all tiny batches. Didn't try nearly enough because we were getting fatigued before the main event, but the Coffee/Cinnamon/Bacon porter did what it said on the tin, and there was a competent blueberry sour.

5: Tributary: MOTT THE LESSER. Absolutely just as good as Kate ever was, with the upside of only waiting for 30 minutes to get in the door @5:30pm for a draft and walking out with two bottles. Years ago the Kate releases were all lottery due to the low bottle count, but this was incredibly smooth and easy. Tod was talking with everyone and was super cheerful.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I pass by Highland Park on the 2 everyday for work. I think I'll go to the brewery of these days.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I'm drinking a Honey Mussel Saison from Spinnakers. I have no idea how you brew a beer with mussels, but they managed it. It doesn't taste weird at all, just a nice saison with a hint of brine and a subtle sweetness.

I'll have to try their Oyster Stout if I see it again.

Apache
May 11, 2004

I'll be heading to Dallas this weekend, according to the goon beer wiki, it looks like Lakewood, Community Beer Company, and Rahr are the must visit breweries, and Lonestar Beverages for a bottle shop. I was planning to try Deep Ellum since it's close to the concert venue we'll be attending Friday night (the Bomb Factory), but the wiki says they suck, so maybe we'll try Braindead brewing before the concert instead.

Was also going to try the Meddlesome Moth as well well while we're in the city Friday. I'm guessing since we're headed out to Plano/Frisco Saturday the Holy Grail Pub is the best bet out there. Anything I'm missing from the Dallas area? Basically I've got Friday afternoon and Saturday free-ish to explore.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
New Belgium is distributing to New Jersey so I picked up some Tangerine IPA which was good but nothing special. I also grabbed Otra Vez the cactus gose which is awesome

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

lazerwolf posted:

good but nothing special

Yeah this is the new belgium experience in a nutshell I feel

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Apache posted:

I'll be heading to Dallas this weekend, according to the goon beer wiki, it looks like Lakewood, Community Beer Company, and Rahr are the must visit breweries, and Lonestar Beverages for a bottle shop. I was planning to try Deep Ellum since it's close to the concert venue we'll be attending Friday night (the Bomb Factory), but the wiki says they suck, so maybe we'll try Braindead brewing before the concert instead.

Was also going to try the Meddlesome Moth as well well while we're in the city Friday. I'm guessing since we're headed out to Plano/Frisco Saturday the Holy Grail Pub is the best bet out there. Anything I'm missing from the Dallas area? Basically I've got Friday afternoon and Saturday free-ish to explore.

I wrote that whole thing though I don't live there anymore :sg:

Peticolas is Saturday only, so you'll have to try their beer at a bar. If I were you, I'd stick to the places within the city unless Lakewood's taproom puts a particularly outstanding beer on tap.

Otherwise, Community and the Moth are within 10 minutes of each other in the Design District, plus you can add Common Table to that itinerary. Then head to Deep Ellum for Braindead, which is located a very short walk to your concert. assuming you're staying near the city center, uber/lyft rides between all of these places should end up costing roughly the same as peak hours parking in Deep Ellum.

Deep Ellum Brewing is way more focused on marketing than making good beer plus it's run by a total douche.

While up in Plano/Frisco, also check out Taps and Caps, that's Lonestar's growler place (they likely sell bottles too) located along 121. You should be able to sit down and order a flight at any place that fills growlers.

air- fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 4, 2016

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Apache posted:

Lakewood, Community, and Rahr are all good choices. Rahr might be harder for you to get to, since it's in Fort Worth, approximately 40 minutes from Community and an hour from Lakewood. Personally, I'd skip Deep Ellum, and everyone I know says that Braindead's food is far better than their beer, which I believe, having had a couple of sample pours at festivals. If you go to Community, you're within 10 minutes of a handful of other breweries/taprooms. Peticolas and Four Corners immediately jump to mind, and I know that Noble Rey and Texas Ale Project are right in that area too, and though I haven't been to the two latter, the beers that I've had from them have been pretty good.

Meddlesome moth is a good choice. Depending on where you're at in the Plano/Frisco area, you have a couple options. Holy Grail's food is pretty drat good. The Ginger Man at the shops at Legacy has a better selection of beer, but is weaker on the food side. If you're willing to drive a few minutes south, Jack Mac's Swill & Grill in North Dallas has a small but well-curated tap list and the food is killer. They also do infusions with various Texas liquors if that's your thing.

Lone Star beverages is an excellent bottle shop, and they've opened up Lone Star Taps and Caps, a growler-filling station, right up the road. Richardson Beer and Wine (my local bottle shop) usually has a bunch of Jester King turding up shelves if that interests you. World Beer Company on Greenville has a good selection of bottles and does Growler fills. If you're after Growlers, you'll be close to Craft and Growler (it's across the freeway from Deep Ellum, right next to Fair Park) and relatively close to Lakewood Growler if you make it out to Lakewood Brewing. Craft and Growler has 20-30 (mostly) Texas beers available for fills, and I haven't been to Lakewood Growler yet, but I understand that they mostly carry local/Texas stuff as well.

You should make an effort to have Texas BBQ while you're in town, there are a number of good places to go. Pecan Lodge is probably the top of the list, but you have to show up early and you will wait in line. It's really good, but probably won't change your life, so the wait may not be worth it. Lockhart Smokehouse in the Bishop Arts District is a good alternative, and they have an outpost in downtown Plano if you're going to be way up North. Intrinsic is a newcomer in downtown Garland, they brew and smoke onsite. I wouldn't put their beer as must-try, but the BBQ is pretty drat good, so if you're in the area, I'd definitely consider it.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Oh yeah can't believe I didn't think about bbq, I'd go to the Plano Lockhart Smokehouse location so you don't deal with lines. Definitely don't leave Dallas without having bbq.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Lovelady Brewing opened in downtown Henderson, NV (SE suburb of Vegas) on April 1st. Despite the unfortunate date, the brewery has some decent stuff and good staff. Their first-day pours were:

- Sourpuss, kettle sour from a Greek yogurt starter. Refreshing, mildly tropical, one of the best things they had on.
- 9th Island, Sourpuss plus roasted pineapple. It cranked up the tropical notes quite a bit. My table was split on this; some felt the fruit added too much sweetness, I liked it but not as well as the base beer.
- Paradise City, hoppy lager they chose to not call an IPL. Fairly clean and light, high bitterness but not a lot of hop aroma. Slight diacetyl, not a dealbreaker even to the most sensitive in my group. Overall solid.
- Hopatomic, double IPA with tropical aroma profile. Slightly maltier than it needed to be but not bad.
- Love Triangle, red ale/amber made with 100% Red X malt ("very expensive," said the brewer's cousin behind the bar). Color is lighter and more to the brown than I expect in a red. That said, Red X is a delicious malt and I can see using it exclusively for that reason alone. This beer is solid, with significant piney hops and a little bit of malt backbone. Red/amber isn't my thing but this one was done just fine.
- Tres Amour, Belgian tripel. This was the biggest miss of the night. Way, way too sweet, like a big glass of candi sugar with nothing to balance it out. I've heard from secondary sources that Lovelady "wants to make beers women want to drink;" if this is their idea of a lady beer I think they'll be very unpleasantly surprised by the local beer community's women.
- Cafe Femenino, coffee porter. This vied for best-in-show with Sourpuss. Very nice coffee flavor, not too strong or weak. Mouthfeel is smooth and light, which is better than a dense stout for Vegas weather.
- Root Beer, non-alcoholic. While the beers are going for $6/pint, this stuff is $2 and very good. We inadvertently discovered it also blends well 50/50 with the coffee porter, bringing out a lot of chocolate notes without being too sweet.

The brewer's brother says they plan to release a new IPA every 2-3 weeks, switching up hop and malt bills frequently to keep things interesting. That's a good idea as it'll keep a lot of beer lovers returning to see what's new. I hope they make more dark stuff as well, though.

Lovelady's opening means there are now three very good or great breweries within a five mile radius (Bad Beat and my personal favorite CraftHaus being the others). Downtown Henderson has been an economically stagnant area for a long time, with only casinos staying open for long. The brewery opening is part one of a multi-year plan to turn a two-block radius into a walking mall with local retail outlets, restaurants, and whatever else they can fit in. I wish the city council luck with the project. This town could use something to look forward to, aside from another Vegas casino opening up so we can all dutifully commute into town to collect our paychecks. For those of you touring Vegas, my my recommendation to spend an afternoon touring the Henderson Booze District just got stronger.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

assholestinktown beer was infected with something and tasted like a different kind of rear end hole. Well anyways thanks for listening to my beer saga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Well, ya know what they say. You can take the beer out of assholestinktown but you can't take the assholestinktown out of the beer.