Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Exmond posted:

Ohhh how is Issue 14? Is it more story based? Ill have to hop back into TSW

I dunno. I don't even have TSW installed right now. I just can't bring myself to trudge through Tokyo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Len posted:

Went looking at the TSW item store again today after seeing Issue 14 released. I'm not surprised to see that there's four new ear pieces that noone will see. Also I have 450 veteran points and there's still literally nothing worth getting.

Edit: Spent 100 points buying pets I'll never use and that stop giving neat bonuses after 3mil xp.

I just looked through the shop. New costume lets you be an Academy Award.

If it ever goes on sale, i'm buying it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

HughGRect posted:

I just looked through the shop. New costume lets you be an Academy Award.

If it ever goes on sale, i'm buying it.

I can BE the gatekeeper. I'm down.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Len posted:

I can BE the gatekeeper. I'm down.

The Gatekeeper was a BEE the entire time! :tinfoil:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtouzrciJ64
I really hope that 0:22 isn't what I think it is (platforming with jump boost), that would be like cost of magic x10

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
So far I'm kind of torn but I'm not super far in. The introductory quest has way too much instant death bullshit you need to figure out how to deal with although once you do know it's fairly easy but coming back after a longer hiatus it took me a while. Story seems good so far, up to par with the other issues. Jinns are emo assholes though.

Morglon fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 1, 2016

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Morglon posted:

Story seems good so far, up to par with the other issues. Jinns are emo assholes though.

On par with Last train and Dream to kill? Or like the last one?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

if the jump pad puzzles are anywhere near as bad as the "platforming" on the moving train I'll pass.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Sekenr posted:

On par with Last train and Dream to kill? Or like the last one?

I like it better than Tokyo for what that's worth.

Also you don't do the platforming yourself you push buttons to alter the jump pads and they get you to where you're supposed to go if you did it right.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Morglon posted:

I like it better than Tokyo for what that's worth.

Also you don't do the platforming yourself you push buttons to alter the jump pads and they get you to where you're supposed to go if you did it right.

So it's basically a launch to a fixed position and not affected by latency? Thank god for that.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well, apparently Fight for your rites mission is bugged for a lot of people (including me), unable to complete tier 1

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Is there still much of a goon presence in this game? I played through the story once, years ago, and am starting to think about reinstalling if there are goons around to chat with and remind me how to actually play.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sekenr posted:

Well, apparently Fight for your rites mission is bugged for a lot of people (including me), unable to complete tier 1

Funcom. Funcom never changes.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Len posted:

Funcom. Funcom never changes.

I would recommend not trying to go Into Dusty Dark too because it is not only fucktardedly hard but is also bugged and can be impossible to complete! Mission tiers stop updating from a certain point and the game only tells you when you reach the final room.

EDIT: Ok, an advice that might save a goon from some pain and frustration, keep an eye out for mission tier, if it doesn't update from 2/5 after crossing the room with invisible floor - get out and restart.
What concern Fight for your rites, a group of mobs necessary to finish the tier 1 only spawn on RP servers (!) so unless you are playing on one, find someone who does, get them to go to Valley of the Sun God and meet up on them.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 2, 2016

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Sekenr posted:

I would recommend not trying to go Into Dusty Dark too because it is not only fucktardedly hard but is also bugged and can be impossible to complete! Mission tiers stop updating from a certain point and the game only tells you when you reach the final room.

EDIT: Ok, an advice that might save a goon from some pain and frustration, keep an eye out for mission tier, if it doesn't update from 2/5 after crossing the room with invisible floor - get out and restart.
What concern Fight for your rites, a group of mobs necessary to finish the tier 1 only spawn on RP servers (!) so unless you are playing on one, find someone who does, get them to go to Valley of the Sun God and meet up on them.

Nah, it happened to me too and all I had to do was go two more steps to the right before going through the door. Personally I loved it, it's great game design. It introduces you to the mechanics in an easy example and then ramps up the difficulty and you don't lose a lot if any progress if you fail. The end fight is good too, I'm tempted to even call it epic, even though I don't like using that word. I like it is what I'm saying.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Morglon posted:

Nah, it happened to me too and all I had to do was go two more steps to the right before going through the door. Personally I loved it, it's great game design. It introduces you to the mechanics in an easy example and then ramps up the difficulty and you don't lose a lot if any progress if you fail. The end fight is good too, I'm tempted to even call it epic, even though I don't like using that word. I like it is what I'm saying.

What was great game design? Navigating the loving labyrinth and then being told in the very end that I can't proceed because the game didn't register stages 2-5?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
No, the part where they teach you how to use the mechanics without it feeling like it's holding your hand. Bugs happen. This is still FunCom

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I quite enjoyed the bossfight, as for previous part - this kind of crap tends to ruin the impression, so mine is ruined.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Wow.. Issue 14 doesn't have as much ground breaking story elements as Tokyo but it makes up for it for having a great boss fight at the end.

Story Spoilers
So you find out someone has found a way to "walk" through the ages. King Solomon. You fight one of his creations that got too powerful and left his control

All in all took me about 4-5 hours , though im fairly well equipped.

Hopefully they can keep up with the content and make longer content!

Edit: As for bugs only hit the one where the priest didn't spawn for one of the action missions. Just asked Sanctuary and was whisked away to a working instance. I expect that to be fixed next patch.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

So we're basically guaranteed to be going to the Congo in the next few issues, then? The billboards in Tokyo already set the stage, since the Japanese on them reads King Solomon Tour.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Kessel posted:

So we're basically guaranteed to be going to the Congo in the next few issues, then? The billboards in Tokyo already set the stage, since the Japanese on them reads King Solomon Tour.

I'll go put the power glove on the Gorilla

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I've not played TSW for a couple issues at least and was wondering, are the three color shield things that Tokyo introduced still around in the game? Do I need to hassle with them in end game instances or the latest issue?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Exmond posted:

Story Spoilers

According to lore and Amir it was created by the host as a proto-jynn using all 8 elements, thing turned out to be too powerful and clever so immediately upon birth it ate it's own name, thus leaving no means for angels to command it and for shaytan to corrupt it or somesuch. That's why all late model jynn were made with only one element. Solomon didn't create it, he timetravelled into 3rd age and tricked it into a pocket dimension trap. Exlposions by Atenist excavators disturbed the trap-bauble (or perhaps those force fields?), thing started to break free. That's why all the trouble and earthquakes.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 4, 2016

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Fewd posted:

I've not played TSW for a couple issues at least and was wondering, are the three color shield things that Tokyo introduced still around in the game? Do I need to hassle with them in end game instances or the latest issue?

The color-shield things are the AEGIS system, and yes it's still around. It's a very grindy system. You need to basically solo farm Tokyo for about a week to upgrade your controllers from 1.0 to 1.9, farm the Manufactory (MFA) elite to get 2.0 kits (now purchasable with MoPs), farm MFA NM to get to 2.4, then farm the Manufactory: Breached (MFB) NM to get to 2.9. However, past MFB there's not really anything that needs AEGIS, except NM raids, and as far as I know only one cabal worldwide has downed one of the three NM raids.

That said, AEGIS is only involved in 2 of the 10 total dungeons. You can completely avoid it if you want and still have plenty of fun. However, in my opinion those two dungeons are the most fun with respect to mechanics. They reward a hefty amount of Black Bullion (endgame currency) and they're worth doing anyway. I have heard that Tokyo was nerfed to make it more easy for people to get used to the AEGIS system. I do find that AEGIS is a lazy expansion of endgame mechanics, but it does allow your character to keep "growing" if you enjoy TSW that much.

Realistically, the AEGIS system is targeted for endgame content and players. You can experience the story all the way through Tokyo without really investing much thought into it. You can even purchase the 1.1-1.9 upgrade kits and AEGIS experience modules with Black Bullion that you earn from doing missions, dungeons, etc. They have buffed the BB gains for subscribers substantially, so most people are swimming in it anyway. The worst part about the AEGIS grind is getting from 2.0 to 2.4, since the most effective way to accumulate the 36 kits is farming the first and second bosses over and over. Meanwhile, people generally go through the entirety of MFB for 2.5-2.9, and at that point your AEGIS level isn't nearly as much of a gear-check.

Morglon posted:

I'll go put the power glove on the Gorilla
Stop eating my sesame cake

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Getting an email about issue 14 made me remember, "Hey I never played through most of The Secret World after the main game" so I decided to give it a shot. $10 a pop for eight issues....is there a bundle where I can catch up without paying full sticker price?

That not withstanding, drat there are a lot more AP/SP sinks now. It would take a lot of farming to get my secondary weapons and augments up to snuff.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

kaynorr posted:

Getting an email about issue 14 made me remember, "Hey I never played through most of The Secret World after the main game" so I decided to give it a shot. $10 a pop for eight issues....is there a bundle where I can catch up without paying full sticker price?

That not withstanding, drat there are a lot more AP/SP sinks now. It would take a lot of farming to get my secondary weapons and augments up to snuff.

There's the ultimate edition you may be able to upgrade to that's also on sale frequently that should get you like halfway there or something. You can also pick and choose but all the issues besides 8 I believe are really good and well worth your money. Other than that wait for a sale maybe?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
So chalk up another person that Issue 14 is roping back in. Has anything substantial changed in the past year, beyond the added DLC?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Byers2142 posted:

So chalk up another person that Issue 14 is roping back in. Has anything substantial changed in the past year, beyond the added DLC?

Nope.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Yes they got rid of multiple currencies, there is only one now!

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Exmond posted:

Yes they got rid of multiple currencies, there is only one now!

Technically three. Pax, black bullion, and whatever the one that's harder to get than BB is called. Also, there's now daily and weekly goals that reward some extra XP and currency. And a random group finder for the dungeons that might do something if you're eligible for elite dungeons, which I am not.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I finally got off my arse and started Tokyo, where every fight is a near death experience and some stuff just instagibs me. Do I need a build with self healing or will it level off once I get some more aegis gear?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
It's all Aegis. Yes it sucks starting out and yes, it does get better. lovely system either way but once you have the addon that switches for you, sunk some points into it and have a hand full of decent capacitors it's barely noticeable anymore.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
Also, something the game never bothers to actually tell you outside of I think a tiny note on the tooltips for the items themselves - AEGIS capacitors and modules can be disassembled and give piles of reserach data when they do. So don't vendor them, smash them into data to upgrade controllers with. Makes levelling it a bit faster.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://www.bundlestars.com/en/game/the-secret-world-ultimate-edition

On sale for 66% off right now.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

General Maximus posted:

Also, something the game never bothers to actually tell you outside of I think a tiny note on the tooltips for the items themselves - AEGIS capacitors and modules can be disassembled and give piles of reserach data when they do. So don't vendor them, smash them into data to upgrade controllers with. Makes levelling it a bit faster.

Holy poo poo seriously? That could've saved me some grinding.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
So are mobs with more than one shield type bugged? Doing that "defend the bathhouse" mission, I sometimes can't harm the portal guardians until I switch controllers a bunch of times. Like, none of the controllers will work but eventually the one that matches his health bar will work - it seems like sometimes when I switch to the purple controller it doesn't actually activate and I have to switch it out and back again.

Also what do I do when I reach 100% analysis?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I've never had any problems with killing them but maybe there's a lag thing where you don't switch properly or something.

Once you get to 100% you go to the guy near the Agartha entrance and buy an upgrade kit. You should focus on getting one or two leveled first so you can use higher level capacitors with all of them since they can only be as high as your highest controller.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Nice, cheers man.

One last thing I forgot to ask about, I got an item for finishing the investigation missions dlc and augment attuner or something - what's that about?

Edit: My earlier issue wasn't related to aegis - the boss mobs are immune to damage until enough waves of enemies have come out of the portals. Obviously.

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 13, 2016

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Tokyo is making me regret coming back. I've been at it for a couple of days now and I've managed to finish two missions and had to just give up on three or four more. I suspect I might just have to go back to transylvania and farm myself an entirely new build and then come back again. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Pilchenstein posted:

So are mobs with more than one shield type bugged? Doing that "defend the bathhouse" mission, I sometimes can't harm the portal guardians until I switch controllers a bunch of times. Like, none of the controllers will work but eventually the one that matches his health bar will work - it seems like sometimes when I switch to the purple controller it doesn't actually activate and I have to switch it out and back again.

Those particular enemies are also immune to damage for a while after the portals spawn - if you look at their buffs they'll have one with a timer on it showing how long until you can actually hurt them.
EDIT: Which you already realised, nevermind.

quote:

Also what do I do when I reach 100% analysis?

There's an Orochi guy near the Agartha portal in the park that sells upgrade kits. Combine the controller with one in the crafting window and it goes up a level and resets to 0%. The level of capacitors you can equip is dependent on your highest level controller so it's worth upgrading one as high as possible rather than working on all of them evenly, though you'll want to upgrade all of them eventually if you spend much time in Tokyo.

Pilchenstein posted:

Tokyo is making me regret coming back. I've been at it for a couple of days now and I've managed to finish two missions and had to just give up on three or four more. I suspect I might just have to go back to transylvania and farm myself an entirely new build and then come back again. :smith:

Do the mission 'Tower Defense' from the guy in the tank to get a second set of controllers, that'll help cause you'll be able to have all three types on both weapons. Also, the story missions will give you capacitors so after tower defense do those next before anything else, at least until you have all four capacitors which makes a huge difference. Alternately, you might be able to find capacitors on the auction house.

Also, install this mod: https://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?80429-MOD-ElTorqiro_AegisHUD
It does a few things with the UI but mostly you want it for the auto swap function, so you don't have to manually swap controllers every time. Which helps so much, especially on mobs with multiple shields. If you don't like that one for whatever reason there's a few other mods around that do the auto swap. Don't install more than one of them though cause the game flips out if two things try to change aegis stuff at the same time.

As for your build, what's in your current build? Depending on what it is you might not need a whole new one. And it got you through transylvania so it can't be completely terrible.

• Locked thread