Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm fairly certain this was the point of the putrefication thing in the books, since GRRM borrows heavily from history for many aspects of the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
If Stannis *does* take over Winterfell and only later sacrifices Shireen, I gotta thank the TV show runners from draining whatever catharsis him destroying the Boltons would be for me, which I've been waiting for for like 6 years. (Others, probably close to 20)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'm sorry but this is just you jumping to conclusions, you guys are saying "it fits thematically so it must happen", which is fine and whatever but we don't actually know anything, we might guess and speculate but that's how things stand at the moment.

I'll remind again that as of the end of ADWD Stan and Shireen are about a hundred leagues apart and the book ends with Melisandre receiving a likely fabricated letter claiming Stannis is dead, there are compelling reasons to think she might do it out of her own volition, no one knows.

Does book Stannis even have many scenes with book Shireen? I know the show pretty much changed Shireen completely to make her sympathetic and likable, the only scene I can remember with her in the books is hiding behind her mothers skirt complaining about how disgusting the wildling women are.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Stan never interacts with Shireen in the books iirc.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wasn't there a scene with him, her, and Patchface or am I totally making that up? I don't think they spoke to each other, but were hanging around each other.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I don't think so, we basically only 'see' Shireen 3 times before ADWD. Maester Pylos is giving her a lesson in the ACOK prologue, then we see her again in ASOS when Davos is on his way to assassinate Melisandre and another time when he sneaks Edric out of the castle (again as they are being tutored by Pylos). Then in ADWD she only arrives at castle black long after Stannis has began marching south.

Unless I'm forgetting something of course, but anyway I think it's safe to say they don't have too many interactions on-page.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I've been really turned off of the Tywin was poisoned theory because of the way it's always presented. For some reason people are incapable of saying there is some circumstantial evidence and maybe this is a thing that happened. Instead, it's always :smuggo: :smuggo: Oh it's so obvious, didn't you see all of the several clues in the books? I guess you're just not as observant because there is no way this theory is not true. :smuggo: :smuggo:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

counterfeitsaint posted:

I've been really turned off of the Tywin was poisoned theory because of the way it's always presented. For some reason people are incapable of saying there is some circumstantial evidence and maybe this is a thing that happened. Instead, it's always :smuggo: :smuggo: Oh it's so obvious, didn't you see all of the several clues in the books? I guess you're just not as observant because there is no way this theory is not true. :smuggo: :smuggo:

Also it has zero bearing on the story what so ever so who gives a gently caress? Tyrion killed him, on the toilet, with the crossbow. Mystery solved.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Solice Kirsk posted:

Also it has zero bearing on the story what so ever so who gives a gently caress? Tyrion killed him, on the toilet, with the crossbow. Mystery solved.

Yes, but it gives Oberyn the last laugh. He didn't die stupidly in the name of petty vengeance, he did so with a smile in his heart knowing Tywin was a dead man making GBS threads! I think it makes sense for people to want to attribute far more to Oberyn than he may deserve, because he was just so loving awesome. It just so happens that this all fits together in a way that validates that attribution of poisoning.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Did Oberyn mail Dany some poison too?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

kater posted:

Did Oberyn mail Dany some poison too?

Yes. He is also a secret Targ. And he's Jon's mother, and went back in time to father Tyrion.

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
I always thought that Tywin's corpse stank because Tyrion shot him through his intestines and his poo poo kept leaking after he died

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Maybe Tywin was already dead when he was shot with the crossbow and what Tyrion thought was his dad speaking to him was in fact pockets of air escaping from the flaps of his skin.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
He's too skinny for that; it was all enunciated farts noises from making GBS threads to death.

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
Finally finished reading the last book.

Am among those who don't like the killing off of Selmy when he is still alive in the books

With the Quentyn Martell plotline gone - who free's the remaining dragons or does that happen next season or at all?

Loved that ending with Varys and Uncle Kevan, would love to see that in the show though not sure how they would do it given he is with Tyrion across the narrow sea now.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Jedimastafez posted:

With the Quentyn Martell plotline gone - who free's the remaining dragons or does that happen next season or at all?

The bet currently is on Tyrion, due to a scene from the trailer. Of course he won't die.

Personally I believe things will get out of his control with the Sons of the Harpy (should have killed him when he was still in the Pit, shouldn't you? loving D&D and their self-induced plotholes) and he will be cornered with no option but to release the dragons.

On another note, I just discovered this theory and now I want to believe. Varys gonna screw everyone with his phantom dick :woop:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Jedimastafez posted:

Loved that ending with Varys and Uncle Kevan, would love to see that in the show though not sure how they would do it given he is with Tyrion across the narrow sea now.

travel time on this show is like half an episode.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

zVxTeflon posted:

travel time on this show is like half an episode.

Nah, only Littlefinger can use Villain Teleportation because he is really not good at hiding his villany.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I was actually kinda worried about Kevan Lannister's portrayal on the show after he was relegated to being an extra in the first two seasons, but all it took was one scene with him ridiculing Cersei to her face and now the audience loves him. He should've had the line about thinking Tommen still has his father with him, too, but maybe that's forthcoming. All we'd need is one scene of him suggesting he knows about Cersei and Jaime and that scene from last season and he's perfectly set up to die by the hand of Varys and his little birds.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Apoplexy posted:

I was actually kinda worried about Kevan Lannister's portrayal on the show after he was relegated to being an extra in the first two seasons, but all it took was one scene with him ridiculing Cersei to her face and now the audience loves him. He should've had the line about thinking Tommen still has his father with him, too, but maybe that's forthcoming. All we'd need is one scene of him suggesting he knows about Cersei and Jaime and that scene from last season and he's perfectly set up to die by the hand of Varys and his little birds.

Given that Varys isn't around, if Kevan keeps gaining influence over Tommen/cooperating with the Tyrells, I could almost see Cersei orchestrating his death. Probably a long shot, but unlikelier things have happened on this show.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm still trying to figure out what in the hell Varys' motivation is supposed to be in the show since they aren't going to have the whole Aegon thing.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PtOAnZxB8s

This did more than any trailer to get me hyped for S6.

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what in the hell Varys' motivation is supposed to be in the show since they aren't going to have the whole Aegon thing.

To unite the realm, assuming against the Others

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PtOAnZxB8s

This did more than any trailer to get me hyped for S6.

This is pretty loving great.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I finished season 5 despite friends sayin it was bad It was an awesome experience I recommend seas on5 to ALL speople big or tall. I had no idea the twists and turns (I m not a book watcer personally so I have on ly seen the show) so at this time only having seen the show and not the book I enjoyed what events transpired .... until I found out some TRICKERY was afoot with some changes between the show &the books? How dare they ... I looked up said trickery and omg miranda wasnt even in th book ? She was the most lovable character the interaction scene wher he and sana have the bow fight was awesome.

Anyways, what is up with the lady's nose bleeding while the other girl is dying from the poison? I jsut couldnt put that one together ...

I haven't spoiled season 6 but whatever happens will be cool I think.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
i hope this ends with the stupidest poo poo like jon snows corpse riding a giant undead spider vs tyrion riding a dragon or somethin

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Meowbot posted:

Anyways, what is up with the lady's nose bleeding while the other girl is dying from the poison? I jsut couldnt put that one together ...

She poisoned herself by putting it on her lips, that's how she delivered it. Then she took the antidote.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Meowbot posted:

I finished season 5 despite friends sayin it was bad It was an awesome experience I recommend seas on5 to ALL speople big or tall. I had no idea the twists and turns (I m not a book watcer personally so I have on ly seen the show) so at this time only having seen the show and not the book I enjoyed what events transpired .... until I found out some TRICKERY was afoot with some changes between the show &the books? How dare they ... I looked up said trickery and omg miranda wasnt even in th book ? She was the most lovable character the interaction scene wher he and sana have the bow fight was awesome.

Please never post in this or any other thread ever again.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Meowbot posted:

This post is better if you read it like it's coming out of the mouth of a 5 year old.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Meowbot posted:

i look forward to more detailed Game of Thrones synopses from you in the future

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
http://qz.com/650796/mathematicians-mapped-out-every-game-of-thrones-relationship-to-find-the-main-character/

Nothing surprising but cool to look at.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

I like how the curves lines make it look like Dany is a hurricane slowly coming in from off the coast.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
If you remove dead people, the only connection left between Mereen and the rest of the world is the minimal thickness Jamie <=> Barristan link.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Asehujiko posted:

If you remove dead people, the only connection left between Mereen and the rest of the world is the minimal thickness Jamie <=> Barristan link.

And Tyrion.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Meowbot posted:

This year, Meowbot is the OP of the thread

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

It's only based on ASOS for some reason, so yeah there's a bunch of stuff still to happen and connections to add/remove. That's probably also why Sansa comes up so highly, since for most of that book she's at court in King's Landing and interacting with a lot of characters.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Tyrion's in Meereen.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Phenotype posted:

Tyrion's in Meereen.

The graphic was drawn based on a Storm of Swords. And it uses a weird criteria. Connections are made whenever a character name pops up 15 words away from another character name. That is why, for example, Illyrio is not connected to Varys, Rickon is not connected to Jon, or Joffrey is not connected to Robert (my eyes bled out trying to make that out), or some weird connections pop up like Brienne - Lysa Arrin, Balon Greyjoy - Sansa or Amory Loch - Oberyn.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Mystery Opponent posted:

I always thought that Tywin's corpse stank because Tyrion shot him through his intestines and his poo poo kept leaking after he died

The guys in the book said they took his guts out and threw them away and stuffed his abdomen with flowers and ceder chips but nothing worked. And they can't stop him from smiling like he farted and he's proud of it. It was a huge mystery why he stinks so bad.

One of the poisons someone described sometime said it just shut down your body's ability to make waste so you drowned in your own poisons so, to my mind, I like this idea because it means his whole body was poo poo. You can toss out his stink tubes and that doesn't matter when his skin blisters and more poo poo comes bubbling up from every other part of him.

Anyway it was just a cool idea. Like syrio being the same faceless man as j'aquen. It would be neat to have some threads of continuity but it might probably be wrong. It's still fun to think about. And thinking about it is all we have left.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm not smuggo. It's just an idea that's fun to think about. Sorry other people got smug with you. I agree it's wayyyy too loose a connection to declare it a slam dunk sure thing. Anyway, Tyrion is going to go through all the guilt associated with the act and is never going to be told he's cosmically off the hook for kinslaying. History will remember Tyrion, killer of Tywin. It doesn't change anything besides letting you reinterpret some dead peoples' motivations differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Krinkle posted:

One of the poisons someone described sometime said it just shut down your body's ability to make waste so you drowned in your own poisons so, to my mind, I like this idea because it means his whole body was poo poo. You can toss out his stink tubes and that doesn't matter when his skin blisters and more poo poo comes bubbling up from every other part of him.

The main problem with this theory is that even if it's magical plot poison, the bodies of the inhabitants of ASoIaF are pretty much still human with some exceptions. Tywin should have developed symptoms way sooner (fever, swelling, jaundice among others), and even if his pride would initially stop him from going up to a Maester and admiting he has not been able to poop, after a while he would have realized something was amiss. And he would most certainly not be in the mood for sex.

For that reason, I either think his body stinking up was either metaphorically to represent his corruptness (improbable, since GRRM does not do this kind of things as far as I can remember) or someone purposedly tampered with the body conditioning in order to piss Cersei off (the Queen of Thorns, but most probably Varys in order to ignite Cersei's paranoia).

• Locked thread