Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
What are some good ways to manage the front end of our systems? The company is going to go forward with mobile devices such as phones and tablets. I'd like to be on the ball with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sefal posted:

What are some good ways to manage the front end of our systems? The company is going to go forward with mobile devices such as phones and tablets. I'd like to be on the ball with this.

You should probably standardize what they're allowed to have, dont let them pick and choose.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

That was a half joke, and I have a car, but doesn't the fact the thing goes under the bay in an earth quake prone area, even a little disconcerting?

Less disconcerting than surviving on peanuts in the bay area.

(Earthquake is probably more welcome than whatever gross poo poo grows in the BART seats)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sefal posted:

I'm a huge android fan, but if you have a lot of people getting phones, I'd probably do iPhones. It'll provide a huge amount of consistency and will make life easier for the tier-1 people who have to troubleshoot.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're deploying iOS devices then put Casper in

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Sadly IPhones are out of the question. the company is moving forward with Windows Phones (lumias) and Android phones (MOTO G) for a select few people.

We also will distribute tablets. We will give out Ipads unless the person needs the surface pro for specific applications.

Would Intune be a good app to manage the phones?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think Intune might end up good in the future, they are doing a classic MS portal redesign at the moment where half the settings are made in one place, and the other half are in a control panel that needs Silverlight and an old version of IE.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sefal posted:

Sadly IPhones are out of the question. the company is moving forward with Windows Phones (lumias)

hah

hahahahah

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My boss must own stock in VMWare because we're going with AirWatch for MDM. I have a meeting next week with the sales dude on the specifics. iPhones here but also need to manage android tablets, windows 8.1 tablets, etc.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

Sefal posted:

Sadly IPhones are out of the question. the company is moving forward with Windows Phones (lumias) and Android phones (MOTO G) for a select few people.

We also will distribute tablets. We will give out Ipads unless the person needs the surface pro for specific applications.

Would Intune be a good app to manage the phones?

If you're a smaller shop I think Meraki MDM is free for 100 users.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Turtlicious posted:

Do you guys think you could help me with my resume? Or are you all convinced I made everything up, and there's no more help on the table? I'd go to the resume thread, but since I have a specific field in mind, I feel like here would be better.
Like 3/4 of the people in that thread are in technology in some fashion, just post it there

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

hah

hahahahah
Give him some credit, at least they're not pushing Blackberry. :v:

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Gave my notice the next day. :yotj:

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Why not just say "No"? For all he knows you're in a waiting room bored out of your skull

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

j3rkstore posted:

Gave my notice the next day. :yotj:

A friend of mine was a sysadmin for a company full of shitlords. They made a lot of annoying requests, but the winner was definitely when he got an extremely rude call during his wedding chewing him out because he hadn't responded to some issue quickly enough. He gave his notice the day he returned to work from his honeymoon. They actually even offered him an absurd raise to stay, but some people just aren't loving worth it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
jeez and here I get annoyed if someone asks me for help on a holiday. It could be so much worse.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I must be in a pod then, because unless it's something I plan myself to do after hours, when I leave work at 4PM it stays there until I return at 7AM. There is on-call but I've been called maaaybe 5 times in the past year, and always for stupid poo poo that I could tell them to wait until the next day or just put in a drat ticket.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Kashuno posted:

jeez and here I get annoyed if someone asks me for help on a holiday. It could be so much worse.

My biggest pain is the phone call from someone traveling having wifi problems. Can't get on the wireless network at the hotel, airport, wherver (guess what they aren't all free). Or they're on wifi and it's slow (what the gently caress am I supposed to do about that), or the wifi blocks VPN connections (again, sucks for you, go to Starbucks down the street), or who knows what else. Hey you have an iPhone, tether your laptop to it for 10 minutes while you do hell knows what.

And do they call at 1:30 in the afternoon when they check in? No, they call/text at 9:30 at night after they have been out to dinner with a client and are back at the hotel.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

My biggest pain is the phone call from someone traveling having wifi problems. Can't get on the wireless network at the hotel, airport, wherver (guess what they aren't all free). Or they're on wifi and it's slow (what the gently caress am I supposed to do about that), or the wifi blocks VPN connections (again, sucks for you, go to Starbucks down the street), or who knows what else. Hey you have an iPhone, tether your laptop to it for 10 minutes while you do hell knows what.

And do they call at 1:30 in the afternoon when they check in? No, they call/text at 9:30 at night after they have been out to dinner with a client and are back at the hotel.

"I'm on a plane with wifi but the connection is slow and SAP is throwing up errors."

bummer for you.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

CloFan posted:

Why not just say "No"? For all he knows you're in a waiting room bored out of your skull

I think the the liberal use of "u" is the biggest offense in that text.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I think the the liberal use of "u" is the biggest offense in that text.
Oh god how right you are

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

SaltLick posted:

I'd kinda like Dark Helmut to chime in on this too.

I love trying to help my friends get jobs and it seems like it could be pretty fulfilling helping others. I'm sure there's a lot I'm missing though.

I don't want to turn this thread into recruiter speak because everyone else will hate me, but it's been an interesting transition and if you have an aptitude for relationship building then it can be a good career. Agencies run the gamut from small local boutique firms to large conglomerates and the experience and work you do will vary wildly. In general, the bigger firms are more numbers-driven and transactional. They tend to hire people right out of school and throw them on the phone and tell them what to do and how often to do it. In my opinion these places are where you get the majority of "shithead recruiter" experiences, because you're usually dealing with someone that has very little career experience and is being made to deal with insane numbers of candidates. On the flip side, the smaller places may have deeper relationships but smaller footprints. I'm lucky to work for a company that has a small company mentality but a larger footprint. I got a job offer as a business development manager last year from one of the big companies and I turned it down because I don't want to work in that environment. And they wore ties every day - yuck...

Money can vary wildly, but typically you'll be on a base plus commission. My base is a live-able wage (on par with what I was making as a senior desktop guy) and then as long as I'm doing a decent job I can typically double that most years.

I love fixing people problems as opposed to computer problems, so the job is rewarding from that sense. You do actually make a difference in peoples' lives and careers, and on top of that you get rewarded well when you do. If you don't like being social, if the idea of lunches and happy hours and making conversation with complete strangers scares you, it's probably not for you. Same goes for calling. I'm not a super sales-y guy, but when I call people I'm offering them a service (for free) so my calls are typically received well.

On the down side, people are wildly unpredictable so like any sales job there are high highs and low lows, so that has been a challenge as well. You can do corporate recruiting, which is much slower paced than what I do, but those jobs tend to pay much less and be slower paced.

Hope this answers most of what you guys are looking for. Feel free to PM me for more specifics.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

gooby pls posted:

If you're a smaller shop I think Meraki MDM is free for 100 users.

We use this and it works well. On iOS. It's pretty worthless on Android.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

devmd01 posted:

I must be in a pod then, because unless it's something I plan myself to do after hours, when I leave work at 4PM it stays there until I return at 7AM. There is on-call but I've been called maaaybe 5 times in the past year, and always for stupid poo poo that I could tell them to wait until the next day or just put in a drat ticket.

Eh I am the same way - I have been called once in 3 years and that was because an executive report got screwed up on a friday afternoon by one of our inept programmers and I was the only "programmer" who answers his phone (I'm not a programmer)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

That was a half joke, and I have a car, but doesn't the fact the thing goes under the bay in an earth quake prone area, even a little disconcerting?

Nope. We bury gas lines in an earthquake prone area too. Fatalism can help you see the world through clearer eyes.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bob Morales posted:

At my old job a client requested that we have somebody stay late in the office in order to troubleshoot any issues the CEO had with the wifi on a Southwest flight he was taking.

It was one of the only times management actually said "No" to a client, thank God.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Inspector_666 posted:

At my old job a client requested that we have somebody stay late in the office in order to troubleshoot any issues the CEO had with the wifi on a Southwest flight he was taking.

It was one of the only times management actually said "No" to a client, thank God.
a man so important that he's flying coach

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
"He didn't get to be rich by spending his money" said someone who has never seen a CEO's paycheck.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
he didnt get rich by spending his money on poo poo that wasn't immediately classified as a business expense

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

a man so important that he's flying coachcommercial

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Maybe he's the CEO of Southwest.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Yesterday I had a woman from sales call me from a taxiing airplane to troubleshoot an issue.

Fortunately, it was during business hours and she didn't demand that I fix it before the plane took off. But really? You couldn't wait or do this earlier?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

go3 posted:

he didnt get rich by spending his money on poo poo that wasn't immediately classified as a business expense

Pretty much this.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sepist posted:

Eh I am the same way - I have been called once in 3 years and that was because an executive report got screwed up on a friday afternoon by one of our inept programmers and I was the only "programmer" who answers his phone (I'm not a programmer)

I had a customer call me a couple of Saturdays ago during a change window they didn't bother telling me about for a device that wasn't included in my scope of work. So I ignored it and then ignored their follow on email and text message. The sky didn't fall.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Sounds like SOMEONE isn't going the extra mile!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I went ahead and sen t my boss a counter proposal, and told him I could manage the network but I couldn't set up and manage the AD on the pay being offered. I then took the offer of 32k for running the office infrastructure, and negotiated my way out of the non compete poo poo now I work a 32 hour work week with lunches no work on Fridays, and just have to keep a system that ran itself for 6 years running. AND bonuses, and pay for education. The pay is low, and my new title is Proctor of Technology, but that's still better then where I was. I can also now look for a job in piece and someone vacuumed all the glass out of my office. Things are looking up I think.

People still call me CT though. :(

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm seriously having trouble wrapping my head around this situation. Like, is this real life you're talking about?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

Proctor of Technology
Proctology for short.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm seriously having trouble wrapping my head around this situation. Like, is this real life you're talking about?

He was outed as a troll pages ago. Don't get it started again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

my new title is Proctor of Technology

Interesting