Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I have a sinking feeling that Setsuna is gonna suck.

Word on the vine (one person on my twitter) is that it's fine but the writing is pretty bland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Furnaceface posted:

How many lovely Souls clone ARPG Final Fantasy games will I need to endure before turn based combat becomes the cool thing to do again?

World of Final Fantasy should be out this year.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Oh wow, I didn't know Setsuna was actually out.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Motto posted:

Word on the vine (one person on my twitter) is that it's fine but the writing is pretty bland.

Bland is better than bad, I suppose. As long as I got some good customization systems I'm happy.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

World of Final Fantasy should be out this year.

Not knowing anything about this, I assumed the title implies that it would encompass every single FF universe and combine it into a single game where I could pick any of the characters I want to make a battle party to destroy the ultimate evil.

Boy I wish I didnt look up what it actually is.

Now I will never know just how awesome a party composed of Gau, Wakka, Steiner, and Cait Sith would be. :smith:

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Bland is better than bad, I suppose. As long as I got some good customization systems I'm happy.

Does the game have those? I was turned off with the chrono trigger comparison, but I love rpg character customization.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm sorry you hate fun

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I looked up a few gameplay videos of Setsuna, and at the very least the music is very mellow and relaxing. Even the boss battle theme maintains that feeling while still being driving and urgent.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Furnaceface posted:

Not knowing anything about this, I assumed the title implies that it would encompass every single FF universe and combine it into a single game where I could pick any of the characters I want to make a battle party to destroy the ultimate evil.

Boy I wish I didnt look up what it actually is.

Now I will never know just how awesome a party composed of Gau, Wakka, Steiner, and Cait Sith would be. :smith:

Well there's this mobile game called Record Keeper... :v: Nah don't play that. Not sure if it perfectly gets those guys.

But still, I'm perfectly fine with Noctis' "Perfectly Straight With Absolutely No Intense Bromance That Needs A 55-Gallon Oil Drum Full Of Lube" Bogus Adventure if only for the fact that it seems loving bonkers as of now.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Come to think of it, I really liked CT's characters and the whole battle system revolves around them, so it worked out that way.

If Setsuna's characters aren't good, the battle system will likely feel lacking.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

As far as I can tell the only similarities between CT and Setsuna are the combat system and taking less than 20 hours to beat.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Furnaceface posted:

How many lovely Souls clone ARPG Final Fantasy games

How high are you?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

An actual FF Souls clone would kind of own but I don't have faith in anyone but From to pull off that style of game.

FF Musou first anyway.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

kirbysuperstar posted:

How high are you?

I love how all the predictions ImpAtom and Schwartzcough made are already coming true, almost immediately. :allears:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

kirbysuperstar posted:

How high are you?

being really high got me to enjoy rear end creed unity, so if i had to guess, the answer is, "not at all"

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I really loved Bravely Default despite the loop and all the PAL region people here said Bravely Second is fun so I'm down for it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bloodychill posted:

I really loved Bravely Default despite the loop and all the PAL region people here said Bravely Second is fun so I'm down for it.

Bravely second is pretty much Bravely default with quality of life improvements, new classes, worse writing and no lovely loop.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 1, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Andrast posted:

Bravely second is pretty much Bravely default with quality of life improvements, new classes, worse writing and no lovely loop.

I'd prefer writing on par with or better than the original but I can handle worse unless it's mind-numbingly boring, forgettable bad.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I think the writing is on-par with the first game. Better in some places, worse in some. I like its story more than the first's.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The real problem with Bravely Second is that they forgot to make an endgame boss gauntlet that abuses all the gamebreakers as hard as you do like in the improved version of Bravely Default.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Furnaceface posted:

How many lovely Souls clone ARPG Final Fantasy games will I need to endure before turn based combat becomes the cool thing to do again?

Either you haven't played a Souls game or haven't played a recent Final Fantasy and I'm still not sure which is likely.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The GIG posted:

Either you haven't played a Souls game or haven't played a recent Final Fantasy and I'm still not sure which is likely.

This is exactly what I think of when I think of Dark Souls

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Did they really bring in Florence and the (goddamn) Machine just do a dull cover of a dull song?

And after the song they did for Snow White and the Huntsman was about a hundred times better than the actual movie.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

the combat looks like a lot of fun in the trailers, but then i tried it myself in the demo and now i'm sad.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Found the duscae demo to be just great and really enjoyed the combat etc. Platinum not so much, found it dull. I've not gone back to duscae since - should do later but can anyone summarise the differences between duscae and platinum? Is it just that I was doing it wrong against the boss? I know the combat with young noctis isn't as good where you just have a couple toy weapons.

Also no Ramuh.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Blackfyre posted:

Found the duscae demo to be just great and really enjoyed the combat etc. Platinum not so much, found it dull. I've not gone back to duscae since - should do later but can anyone summarise the differences between duscae and platinum? Is it just that I was doing it wrong against the boss? I know the combat with young noctis isn't as good where you just have a couple toy weapons.

Also no Ramuh.

Even against the boss you just have 2 swords and Fire, plus no companions and only a single enemy. The full game will have so much more than that it's not funny.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

BreakAtmo posted:

Even against the boss you just have 2 swords and Fire, plus no companions and only a single enemy. The full game will have so much more than that it's not funny.

Actually, you can find two more weapons in the final area if you warp up the building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7xMaHExr00

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Terper posted:

Actually, you can find two more weapons in the final area if you warp up the building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7xMaHExr00

Oh, sweet. Thanks for that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I got a random question.I played FFVI up until Setzer joins and I do rememberGau who I never used because he was a huge representative of the schizo tone of the game that kind of put me off.

But I thought he was some sort of blue mage? Didn't he learn enemy skills? But I heard there is another blue mage in the game...Strago I think it was? Why do you need two blue mage characters?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Gau learns skills via the Veldt. His gimmick is that using Rage puts him into some sort of Berserk state where he mimics a certain monster, gaining their elemental affinities, and has a random chance to use some of their skills on his turn.

Strago is a typical mage, but can learn select monster skills by 'seeing' them being performed (if he's Blinded or KO'd, he can't learn them).

Gau is more Druid-Berserker than a standard Blue Mage.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Strago is a true blue mage, he learns spells from enemies casting them in him, Gau is like a weird mix of Blue Mage and Berserker, Beast Tamer maybe?, he learns enemies entire move sets and also takes on their elemental weakness and any other special effects.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you call an action rpg a souls clone you need to gently caress right off

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I find is squarely funny/sad how many people find the concept of "Going on a trip with your friends" immediately homophillic. Like I know this is a comedy forum and hopefully most of you are just making jokes for lulz but its weird that this is being seen as a "gay" game across like every website because so many rpg fans have no concept of what friendship outside of raiding guilds can possibly look like.

I did a cross-country drive with a bro (Philly-Denver-San Francisco and back) and it was a great time, a great way to see the country and try cool food in weird places, but can you imagine how much more fun we'd have had in a flying car with guns and magic?

I dont have a PS4 but the combat looks pretty fun, is it just the button mapping that seems outta wack? Also in the vid above it looks like his shield basically blocks all damage from a 4 ton monster swinging a slab of metal that weighs more than Noctis... I dont want the shield to be useless, but if its an infinite no damage button that sounds too lame.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There are some games that are definitely Souls clones, like Lords of the Fallen. There's essentially no effort to disguise that they were just making their own souls game.

FFXV couldn't be further from a Souls game if it tried.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I am going to assume the demo was an elaborate April Fool's prank until I hear otherwise.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm hoping really super hard that "optimization" is just one of the last unchecked boxes in the development process, because hoo boy is FFXV a sorry sight so far. ~20 fps with no anti-aliasing is not a good look for a Final Fantasy game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Optimisation basically goes on until the game goes gold, the older demo honestly looked a lot better than whatever was going on in the new one so I'm not too worried.

That demo though, what were they thinking?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'Boss says we need a demo for next week, get cracking' while tired looking Japanese people stare at him with hate. Or her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It wouldn't have been half as poorly received if they'd straight up said "temper your expectations, it's just something to play with, it's far from final but the final thing will be a better version of this"

Platinum Demo makes it sound like you're going to have an awesome time