Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parasara
Sep 17, 2014

Next time I see that woman, I'm shooting her, and not in the knee.
You know its a Tesla event when all of the bad takes by people who don't understand how business work come out. "Tesla shipped the most cars in 2015 and yet lost the most cash, the company is imminently dead" is my favorite behind "the model 3 is just to boost Tesla's stock price so they can raise cash!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Is it really surprising? Even if it was just a new toy people would be waiting in line, because they know it's going to be well designed and a cool gadget, no matter the specs.
But beyond that Musk has a vision, and it's an inspiring one: practical,technology-based solutions to some of our species' biggest problems. He very nearly bankrupted himself getting it to this stage. Whatever you think of that, or him, I can't say it's surprising that people are willing to buy into his vision - in the most literal sense.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Anubis posted:

I'm more concerned with the hitting 200k+ miles in 5 years. Electric engines, in theory, should be a lot more durable but we'll see how long it takes till I'm looking at a battery replacement.

I would not be concerned. If Tesla uses a similar approach to GM (80% battery used, 20% unused), you won't notice a difference. There is at least one Gen 1 Volt out there that has 200k miles on it already and the owner has not reported any reduction in range or performance of the battery. Been doing a bit of research given probably getting a Gen 2 Volt. Thought about a Model 3, but I can't wait over a year. Also range issues, Canada is awfully big and the charging infrastructure isn't there yet.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
F5'ing on the website...

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Oh neat I found the thread for fellow dumbfucks who spent all day waiting in line to buy a car they haven't even seen yet. I've been getting a lot of poo poo from people I know about this, but I feel like worst case scenario I wasted my day bullshitting with other cool Tesla fans and I've transferred a relatively insignificant amount of money from my bank account that I don't need to my Tesla account that I can get back at any time. Best case scenario, I get a combined $11,500 worth of federal and state tax rebates to buy a really rad car. I don't understand why any of this is unreasonable.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Parasara posted:

You know its a Tesla event when all of the bad takes by people who don't understand how business work come out. "Tesla shipped the most cars in 2015 and yet lost the most cash, the company is imminently dead" is my favorite behind "the model 3 is just to boost Tesla's stock price so they can raise cash!".

Maybe I don't like Tesla because I think the interior is chincy for it's price, and I think a lot of the hype around Tesla is unfounded.

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 1, 2016

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Neat, $1000 just went out of my checking account! Thanks Elon

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
The stream is now live with some cool prerecorded content at the moment.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Where's a good place to watch?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

shadowvine118 posted:

Where's a good place to watch?

http://teslamotors.com

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Besides what I've said, here's hoping that it actually turns out good and inspires competition.

vvvvvv Like he said, that's the thing I don't get. I know people are excited for it, but I just couldn't imagine putting $1000 for something, even if it was immediately refundable before I see what the product looks like and I got a spec sheet.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

io_burn posted:

Oh neat I found the thread for fellow dumbfucks who spent all day waiting in line to buy a car they haven't even seen yet. I've been getting a lot of poo poo from people I know about this, but I feel like worst case scenario I wasted my day bullshitting with other cool Tesla fans and I've transferred a relatively insignificant amount of money from my bank account that I don't need to my Tesla account that I can get back at any time. Best case scenario, I get a combined $11,500 worth of federal and state tax rebates to buy a really rad car. I don't understand why any of this is unreasonable.

You could also just wait until it actually comes out

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

FCKGW posted:

I believe the idea is to get it before the federal rebate program ends. Waiting until it comes out means you will be in a massive backlog and more likely to miss the rebate. Whether pre-ordering today will end up helping get the rebate remains to be seen of course.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

FCKGW posted:

But then you would be tortured by watching all the early reservation holders drive it in your face for up to a year.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Ranter posted:

I believe the idea is to get it before the federal rebate program ends. Waiting until it comes out means you will be in a massive backlog and more likely to miss the rebate. Whether pre-ordering today will end up helping get the rebate remains to be seen of course.

Preordering today gives you the best chance of sliding in under the rapidly closing window for the full rebate value. A $35,000 car that ends up effectively costing $23,500 is pretty dang awesome, and worth a little extra hassle.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

io_burn posted:

Preordering today gives you the best chance of sliding in under the rapidly closing window for the full rebate value. A $35,000 car that ends up effectively costing $23,500 is pretty dang awesome, and worth a little extra hassle.

I thought people said it was going to be 35K after rebates?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
They are running late. I expected SpaceX precision!!!!!!!!

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I thought people said it was going to be 35K after rebates?

Pretty sure Elon stated they were going to come in at $35k before incentives.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
steam is now live

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

eeenmachine posted:

Pretty sure Elon stated they were going to come in at $35k before incentives.

Yep, admittedly that's probably going to be the base model with a tape deck and no cup holders. But, still.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Ranter posted:

steam is now live

I'm guessing Elon knows I'm too poor as I can't see poo poo on my end. :(

Maybe in the next lifetime I will be rich enough for a proper car.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

actually i love live streams and i think this car will own

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

io_burn posted:

Yep, admittedly that's probably going to be the base model with a tape deck and no cup holders. But, still.

I find it hard to believe the base Model 3 will be worse than my base Toyota Prius.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I'm going to buy a Tesla because Elon doesn't wear dad jeans and white running shoes.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
I'm not getting a stream, is anyone?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

show us the dang car, elon

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

spandexcajun posted:

Yep you're broken

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

If a vehicle is spewing toxic gas, that's bad for your health...

Thank you for these revelations prophet musk.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Never seen Elon Musk speak before. He's not as charismatic as I thought he would be.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

working here

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mandalay posted:

Never seen Elon Musk speak before. He's not as charismatic as I thought he would be.

This is actually light years better than the last time I saw him speak in such an event; The SpaceX Dragon 2 reveal...

Props to him for doing it his ownself, but the man isn't a public speaker...

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Mandalay posted:

He's even worse off script. When you see him in interviews, he seems to be thinking too fast for his mouth to articulate.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

spandexcajun posted:

turn ublock/adblock off

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KakerMix posted:

turn ublock/adblock off

Running ublock with a good stream, FWIW.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
here it comes boys

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Did he just call the 70K model S a mid price car or did I not understand him correctly?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I swore my next car purchase would be a Tesla, and by the time the model 3 arrives my son will be turning 16 and I'll have a great excuse to rotate my car to him and get myself a new one. Today I took that important step of throwing $1000 into a space hole in the hopes that I can get one roughly around that time frame. Yes, my fear was that I would definitely want one but then be put on a waiting list for 2020. The refundable part made the decision easy.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
I have none of those. Land a god damned rocket stage no prob but a steaming video on the internet? That is loving hard.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Model S, a good looking car

The Model X...a not so good looking car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Minimum of 215 miles of range, autopilot safety standard, autopilot autopilot is an option

• Locked thread