Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
I hope they will still get along when they hit pig puberty, but if they don't then I'll buy more grids and divide the cage down the middle. I've never seen any of them act territorial and I hope that won't change with time.

It's really cool seeing how the different breeds have different personalities. The American pigs are very laid-back and easygoing, and the Teddy is a huge jerk who yanks food out of Hamlet's mouth and perpetrates all the unwanted butt-sniffing. The babies have an Abyssinian mother and presumably an American father; two of them look American and one is Abyssinian. The baby Abyssinian is noticeably more timid and quiet, and he tends to keep to himself. One day I saw him sneak up behind another pig and steal food while it wasn't looking, it was so cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Well petsmart said he was a russian but didn't say dwarf..... But I did hand him to my spouse when I had to go to the bathroom and he got bit hahah. But he was very good today, i brought him outside and all the children and adults were terrified of him (The whole "IT LOOKS LIKE A RAT" thing ........even though rats are great pets too.)

Edit: I will may or may not use carefresh because when I had rats they would always get mites from them........and since the pathmark by me was closing I got a crap ton of Aspen and Hamster/Gerbil food to last a year. Although do Hamsters like hay like gerbils do? I will get him some hay from KMS if so.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 1, 2016

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Well petsmart said he was a russian but didn't say dwarf..... But I did hand him to my spouse when I had to go to the bathroom and he got bit hahah. But he was very good today, i brought him outside and all the children and adults were terrified of him (The whole "IT LOOKS LIKE A RAT" thing ........even though rats are great pets too.)

Edit: I will may or may not use carefresh because when I had rats they would always get mites from them........and since the pathmark by me was closing I got a crap ton of Aspen and Hamster/Gerbil food to last a year. Although do Hamsters like hay like gerbils do? I will get him some hay from KMS if so.
If you want to get technical he will be a hybrid between the winter white and Campbell's dwarf species, they're all mixed up these days so pedigrees of either are hard to come by. Best to assume any pet shop ham is a hybrid. Makes little to no difference tbh, hybrids can develop diabetes and that's about it.

I like rats but I hate that reaction. They're probably the rodent that LEAST resembles a rat, have you ever actually SEEN a rat, hysterical weirdo person??? Large, long face, huge tails??? Not tiny, very round and with a lil furry nub??? People are stupid. My aunts kids loved my syrian tho when they met her away from their rodent-bigot mum and my Nanny pet her and everything even if she does still act like she hates them.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Yeah my husband introduced me to rodents as pets, the first time I was over his house when we were dating I saw rats in a cage in his apartment. I was more intrigued than anything, they were so frigggin social and I fell in love and we have had several since then. The gerbils I found in a box in the middle of a very cold winter infront of the pet shop that I worked at at the time. Now I got a hamster. I can't imagine living without some kind of rodent anymore since I met my spouse. And now since we own our house we don't have to hide them from landlords anymore.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 1, 2016

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

teenytinymouse posted:

a lil furry nub

Its a little kickstand for when they stand up. :3:

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Yeah, some people just associate every rodent to be one type. All rodents = Gerbil is the most common one I encounter. Plus, how can anybody be scared of a cute little hamster? They are the least threatening looking out of all small rodents.

In other news, I fashioned a new toy by making a cube out of cardboard, filled it with bedding and millet spray, then poked small holes in it. The thing was destroyed when I woke up this morning. I think Clover enjoyed it.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

-CHA posted:

Its a little kickstand for when they stand up. :3:
:kimchi::kimchi::kimchi:

quote:

In other news, I fashioned a new toy by making a cube out of cardboard, filled it with bedding and millet spray, then poked small holes in it. The thing was destroyed when I woke up this morning. I think Clover enjoyed it.

Complete destruction is the highest sign of approval I think

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I just ordered the medium sized one of these because I have seen videos of hams on them...... I got medium because I can't picture the sizes and am just hoping it's close to the right size.

http://www.amazon.com/Ware-Flying-Saucer-Exercise-4-Inch/dp/B001AT62H0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 1, 2016

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

The medium is perfect, the large one is a full 12" so absolutely massive. My little guy loves his, he's never off it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I just ordered the medium sized one of these because I have seen videos of hams on them...... I got medium because I can't picture the sizes and am just hoping it's close to the right size.

http://www.amazon.com/Ware-Flying-Saucer-Exercise-4-Inch/dp/B001AT62H0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

The most fun I've ever seen hamsters have was three Roborowskis on one of those saucer wheels. Whoever stopped running first would instantly be flung off backwards at high speed. At which point they'd take a quick breather then get straight back on to try and do it to one of the others.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

-CHA posted:

Plus, how can anybody be scared of a cute little hamster? They are the least threatening looking out of all small rodents.

Back when I was a kid a neighbor had a hamster who bit him right in the thumb causing blood to gush everywhere. Not really that horrifying of a sight in retrospect but I'm still irrationally vary of putting my fingers close to any animal with a propensity for biting. :v:

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Xoidanor posted:

Back when I was a kid a neighbor had a hamster who bit him right in the thumb causing blood to gush everywhere. Not really that horrifying of a sight in retrospect but I'm still irrationally vary of putting my fingers close to any animal with a propensity for biting. :v:

Well like most rodents their sight is'nt very good so you shuve your finger in their face and then they think FOOD OR A HORRIBLE ELEPHANT IS ATTACKING ME! When I worked at the pet shop people would always bring back hasters because their kids got bit.....surprise you didn't follow our advice on how to treat it. I never sold 1 animal myself because I didn't trust any of those rich suburban asses to actually treat them how they should be treated.......yet whenever (someone else sold them) they were sold they always came back because they didn't care for them properly. That's why I quit pluse 5 bounced paychecks in a row and me throwing a fit because she was f'n up my bill payments. Dont go to "Thee Fishbowl" in Evanston IL, they don't pay their employees properly and when spoken to about it you get fired.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 1, 2016

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I've never had a bite off any animal that wasn't 100% my own drat fault and I assume the same is true for everyone else, whether they know it or not. Hamsters, cats, dogs, horses, a gerbil once, more horses...

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Well like most rodents their sight is'nt very good so you shuve your finger in their face and then they think FOOD OR A HORRIBLE ELEPHANT IS ATTACKING ME! When I worked at the pet shop people would always bring back hasters because their kids got bit.....surprise you didn't follow our advice on how to treat it. I never sold 1 animal myself because I didn't trust any of those rich suburban asses to actually treat them how they should be treated.......yet whenever (someone else sold them) they were sold they always came back because they didn't care for them properly. That's why I quit pluse 5 bounced paychecks in a row and me throwing a fit because she was f'n up my bill payments. Dont go to "Thee Fishbowl" in Evanston IL, they don't pay their employees properly and when spoken to about it you get fired.

I always saw the mentality of these types of people being that they see small animals as a toy for their children rather than a living animal that will defend itself. Perhaps a nocturnal animal with sharp nibblers isn't the best pet choice for a hyperactive 8 year old.

This is why goldfish are an option.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

-CHA posted:

I always saw the mentality of these types of people being that they see small animals as a toy for their children rather than a living animal that will defend itself. Perhaps a nocturnal animal with sharp nibblers isn't the best pet choice for a hyperactive 8 year old.

I wouldn't even sell a goldfish to someone because they wanted to put it into a bowl when they require atleeast 20 gallons for 1 and at least 10 gallons for each additional.... at minimum.... This is why I can't work at pet shops anymore because I dont trust anyone. Yeah I don't know much about hamsters but I am willing to ask where others are just like " IT BIT ME I WANT MY MONEY BACK!"

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 1, 2016

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

teenytinymouse posted:

I've never had a bite off any animal that wasn't 100% my own drat fault and I assume the same is true for everyone else, whether they know it or not.

My most hamstery hamster bit me once when I hadn't done anything that could possibly startle or hurt her. Most of them have done no more than gently rest their teeth on me as a warning, though - that was the only time one ever drew blood.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There was a reason for it.

Sometimes it's as simple as a tiny scent on your finger of food.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010

-CHA posted:

Dear god no. Fish are even worse pets for these people since you have to take water temperature, pH, hardness, tank size, geographical origin, and general compatibility all into consideration. Some people should just be banned by law from having any pet of any kind.

Quick question: is this a Roan pig?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

There was a reason for it.

Sometimes it's as simple as a tiny scent on your finger of food.

Yuppers I always wash my hands wit an unscented dishsoap before handling.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

republicant posted:

Dear god no. Fish are even worse pets for these people since you have to take water temperature, pH, hardness, tank size, geographical origin, and general compatibility all into consideration. Some people should just be banned by law from having any pet of any kind.

Yeah I wouldn't get fish, they're so much work. Small animals are simple enough if you give even the tiniest poo poo and do like 10 minutes of research, which is apparently too much for a depressing number of people.

I dunno about roan but that's a super cute pig :kimchi:

Jedit posted:

My most hamstery hamster bit me once when I hadn't done anything that could possibly startle or hurt her. Most of them have done no more than gently rest their teeth on me as a warning, though - that was the only time one ever drew blood.

Who knows what startles a ham, wind, weird smell, weird noise, completely normal noise, human moves too fast, human moves completely normal speed, they scared themselves earlier, saw a ghost, it's a particular time in the moon cycle, tiny ham brain short circuits :shrug:

Once Cc freaked the gently caress out and hid for ages because she forgot I had two hands, she sniffed one hand then turned round and saw ANOTHER HAND gently caress, fell over backwards then ran for her life. She sometimes nips me out of pure bad temper when I go to lift her away from chewing something she wants to destroy, she's a bad ham :3:

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
My two hamster just don't give a gently caress, they are super chill. I found my previous hamster Samus really twitchy but she was a Robo. I found with her it took a really long time to build up her confidence with me but it was so worth it for the time she let me pet her and she fell asleep in my hands. :3:

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

teenytinymouse posted:

Yeah I wouldn't get fish, they're so much work. Small animals are simple enough if you give even the tiniest poo poo and do like 10 minutes of research, which is apparently too much for a depressing number of people.

I dunno about roan but that's a super cute pig :kimchi:

Who knows what startles a ham, wind, weird smell, weird noise, completely normal noise, human moves too fast, human moves completely normal speed, they scared themselves earlier, saw a ghost, it's a particular time in the moon cycle, tiny ham brain short circuits :shrug:

Once Cc freaked the gently caress out and hid for ages because she forgot I had two hands, she sniffed one hand then turned round and saw ANOTHER HAND gently caress, fell over backwards then ran for her life. She sometimes nips me out of pure bad temper when I go to lift her away from chewing something she wants to destroy, she's a bad ham :3:

My husband keeps telling to put back my aquarium with fish because he thinks it's pretty, I keep saying no because it's too much work because he won't help me with it, he just likes to look at them, screw that. I really do like fish but I'm not doing that whole thing again on my own. And when I did have fish I asked him to get Corys, any kind except the albinos..... guess what he came home with. ...albinos that looked like little swimming fetuses.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

nunsexmonkrock posted:

albinos that looked like little swimming fetuses.

I don't know why this is making me laugh so hard

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

republicant posted:

I'm pretty sure he's a silver agouti, not a roan. His hair has an interesting texture though so he might be a teddy or teddy cross and they do come in roan fairly regularly.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

My hamster has decided that running in her wheel is BAD and DUMB and is now chewing cage bars for entertainment instead :mad: She's in a big cage (Furet Plus!), cleaned and completely rehauled layout-wise a couple days ago, but started chewing the bars last weekend and isn't showing signs of stopping. Whenever my hamsters as a kid started chewing bars I could never stop them from doing it again. Any suggestions?

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Wheel is definitely big enough? Some syrians need a 12" one to be comfy. Are you paying her attention when she chews bars? My little madam only does it when she knows I'm in the room and she might get out for a run.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

She definitely needs a bigger wheel, but has been fine on this one for the last two months or so (ive been :effort: about replacing it!) then just suddenly stopped.

Don't pay her more attention when she chews, but the dog who wants to eat her does :v:

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
Maybe she's doing what Pepper does. The little madam has a nice big cage, huge wheel, plenty of toys, etc. But she has issues with the colour of the bars of her cage so every night she devotes a few hours to methodically stripping the paint. :shrug:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Too small a wheel can hurt their back, it's a gradual thing so it might just be she's hit the point where it's uncomfortable. I'd say upgrading her should be the first thing to try. The Trixie is a good buy, it's cheap, on Amazon and quiet.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010

The local Humane Society here did a photoshoot with some of the adoptable animals, and they happened to use my baby pigs' mother.

Her babies don't look all that much like her; one of them is an Abyssinian like her and another one got her red eyes and ginger fur, but you can tell their father was an American pig with brown fur and strong genes.

republicant fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Apr 5, 2016

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

teenytinymouse posted:

I don't know why this is making me laugh so hard

It's true!

But anyway I bought one of those flying saucer wheels from amazon and I keep mentally shaking my fist at Apollo while thinking "Wake up and use it!". I had him out for a bit before the delivery guy came so I don't want to wake him. Only thing I hate about purchasing things like this from Amazon is when you can't choose the color. I was crossing my fingers for anything except pink or purple.....I got purple of course.

Edit: now that I can handle him easier, he looks more like a she. I'm keeping the name though.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 5, 2016

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

teenytinymouse posted:

Hey Clover, you pretty :3:

I have to put my wine glass up high where Cc can't get to it or smell it, she would love to have a swim in some Shiraz and has gotten pretty close a few times, weird ham

One of my departed rats (RIP) loved booze. I'd let them run around when I was playing games and if I lost track of her for a moment she'd tip over any beer and start drinking. Also had a thing for buffalo chicken wings, but the ones I make, with reaper peppers, most humans won't eat them. But she just a had a thing for those wings and beer, raging bitch double ipa at that. It hit the point where I either wouldn't eat and drink if they were out, or I'd pour out a tiny bit and leave out a half eaten wing as a peace offering. The second rat tried a wing ones and made a very odd noise and then jumped around giving it the evil eye like it was a loving cobra. But Clare... down with the reaper peppers and the beer. And if you weren't careful would haul all the bones back to the cage and spend the next week chewing through them.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

nunsexmonkrock posted:

It's true!

But anyway I bought one of those flying saucer wheels from amazon and I keep mentally shaking my fist at Apollo while thinking "Wake up and use it!". I had him out for a bit before the delivery guy came so I don't want to wake him. Only thing I hate about purchasing things like this from Amazon is when you can't choose the color. I was crossing my fingers for anything except pink or purple.....I got purple of course.

Edit: now that I can handle him easier, he looks more like a she. I'm keeping the name though.

What a cute little pair of foetuses :3:

I honestly don't know if my dwarf is a boy or a girl beyond the pet shop telling me he was a boy, it's too hard to tell without the giant syrian balls as the giveaway and really it doesn't matter if you're not keeping a pair. He has all pink and purple accessories because that's what my bf picked for him (except his green saucer, sorry, I'd swap if you weren't probably thousands of miles away from me).

MysteriousStranger posted:

One of my departed rats (RIP) loved booze. I'd let them run around when I was playing games and if I lost track of her for a moment she'd tip over any beer and start drinking. Also had a thing for buffalo chicken wings, but the ones I make, with reaper peppers, most humans won't eat them. But she just a had a thing for those wings and beer, raging bitch double ipa at that. It hit the point where I either wouldn't eat and drink if they were out, or I'd pour out a tiny bit and leave out a half eaten wing as a peace offering. The second rat tried a wing ones and made a very odd noise and then jumped around giving it the evil eye like it was a loving cobra. But Clare... down with the reaper peppers and the beer. And if you weren't careful would haul all the bones back to the cage and spend the next week chewing through them.

Booze hound lady rat, best rat :kimchi:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

nunsexmonkrock posted:

It's true!

Why have you posted a picture of two dead fish?

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

teenytinymouse posted:

What a cute little pair of foetuses :3:

I honestly don't know if my dwarf is a boy or a girl beyond the pet shop telling me he was a boy, it's too hard to tell without the giant syrian balls as the giveaway and really it doesn't matter if you're not keeping a pair. He has all pink and purple accessories because that's what my bf picked for him (except his green saucer, sorry, I'd swap if you weren't probably thousands of miles away from me).

Booze hound lady rat, best rat :kimchi:

Yeah she was a character. Also loved to sit on my shoulder and groom me, including prying open my mouth and eating stuff stuck on my teeth.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
My pig Fatness Everqueak passed suddenly in the night. Given that she was nearly 7 I am not completely surprised. I hope it was painless.

Now I need to figure out what to do with a massive amount of guinea pig food as well as the water bottles. I would say nobody is going to want a used house.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Edit: ^^^ I'm sorry about your cavy :(

I'm just going to drop this here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxm581l9SpU

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 12, 2016

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Adult Sword Owner posted:

My pig Fatness Everqueak passed suddenly in the night. Given that she was nearly 7 I am not completely surprised. I hope it was painless.

Now I need to figure out what to do with a massive amount of guinea pig food as well as the water bottles. I would say nobody is going to want a used house.

RIP Eversqueak, 7 years is a good long life but I'm still sorry you lost her :(

I would say look for a rescue nearby that might want things? Would be nice to help a piggie in need. Failing that if you look on local buy/sell Facebook groups there are always pet people looking bits and pieces ime

Same lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awql1WQt3lg
Hi Apollo! I think the purple looks good! I know they don't care but I like nice colourful cages.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
^^^^^ DAWWWWW!Yeah I wanted green like yours but the purple kinda works, I got so many colors going on in there anyway haha!

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Adult Sword Owner posted:

My pig Fatness Everqueak passed suddenly in the night.

Im sorry :( RIP Fatness Eversqueak.

My wife and I built a 3d puzzle model of the tower bridge. Then we realized that it was hamster size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Aaaahhhhhhhhh :neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard: