Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Britgoons! Lidl have just this week gotten stock of artificial grass mats that are about 1m x 2m, so 2 mats are perfect for a 4x6 table. Total cost: a tenner (£5 per roll). I went and got 2 today, and may get another tomorrow to cut up for Blood Bowl or something. The surface isn't like static grass or felt, it's more like a tightly woven artificial wool with medium and dark green fibers. I'm planning to airbrush on some dark and light brown areas for dirt patches just for variation, and when I eventually do woodland type scatter terrain I want to match the green just so there's a bit of coherency to the table. Should be great for 40K, Saga and historicals if I ever get around to actually playing those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

krushgroove posted:

I'm planning to airbrush on some dark and light brown areas for dirt patches just for variation
Sponge it on maybe? More irregular and could give a better look of stomped mud.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Pierzak posted:

Sponge it on maybe? More irregular and could give a better look of stomped mud.

I'll try that too, I have a lot of fabric paints that will suit. I was thinking some spots of grey and light brown here and there to represent rocks sticking out of the ground, too.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
The Avatars of War Vampire Countess arrived this morning so I've had a few hours this evening to try and get her colour scheme to fit in with the skeletons I posted yesterday.

She's a tad taller than the Mantic Skeletons but as she's a standalone character it probably wont be noticeable.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Well if she lost all that flesh-weight, I'm sure she'd fit in a lot better. She easilly looks part of the gang, so all's good.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Dr. Phildo posted:

Well if she lost all that flesh-weight, I'm sure she'd fit in a lot better. She easilly looks part of the gang, so all's good.

She probably has combat heels on too so it's cool. I finished the rest of the Skeleton Troop unit, group pic is blurry so I've got a the 2 ranks separate too.

10 more skellies to go then I should have some gouls/zombies to do.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
richyp, these guys all look fantastic! The high contrast and that turquoise really sell the "magic" aspect of magically animated skeletons.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I too have finished a mini

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Does anyone have any experience with Vallejo Metallic medium and have any recommendations for proper ratios? Brush painting, not air.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

signalnoise posted:

Much better.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I just wanna give another shout out to Death Ray Designs. I ordered bases from them, using etched acrylic and mdf circles for the bottoms. They're amazing and incredibly affordable.

http://deathraydesigns.com/

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

signalnoise posted:

I just wanna give another shout out to Death Ray Designs. I ordered bases from them, using etched acrylic and mdf circles for the bottoms. They're amazing and incredibly affordable.

http://deathraydesigns.com/

I backed their Kickstarter for Dawn of War-style terrain and I'm stoked to get my hands on them. I really dig their stuff.

signalnoise posted:

I'd love to see better pictures of this guy. The flash from your camera really blows out a lot of the detail unfortunately. The only thing I can say right now is that I dig the overall look, but I'd be careful about putting that much red on the base - it can really compete with the mini for attention.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

SRM posted:

I'd love to see better pictures of this guy. The flash from your camera really blows out a lot of the detail unfortunately. The only thing I can say right now is that I dig the overall look, but I'd be careful about putting that much red on the base - it can really compete with the mini for attention.

Think I should repaint it with more grey?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I wouldn't repaint (unless by repaint you just mean touch up), better to just move on to the next mini. Its kind of nice as well because then you can look back at it as you improve. If you keep trying to make this one perfect you are not going to learn as much or get many minis done than just moving on.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SRM posted:

I backed their Kickstarter for Dawn of War-style terrain and I'm stoked to get my hands on them. I really dig their stuff.

Oh wow, hadn't heard about that kickstarter. Those look really sweet.

The pre-painted ones are super expensive though... but I probably would want a non-blood ravens color scheme anyhow (:rolleyes:) and buildings seem like they'd be pretty easy to paint up in a hurry. Very tempted to grab a set of these...

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh wow, hadn't heard about that kickstarter. Those look really sweet.

The pre-painted ones are super expensive though... but I probably would want a non-blood ravens color scheme anyhow (:rolleyes:) and buildings seem like they'd be pretty easy to paint up in a hurry. Very tempted to grab a set of these...

Pledge manager's still up

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Finally finished this command bike squad and chapter master after...four months of work :v:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Dr. Gargunza posted:

richyp, these guys all look fantastic! The high contrast and that turquoise really sell the "magic" aspect of magically animated skeletons.

Thanks, beige/grey and blue are kind of my go to colour scheme when I'm not painting red. One hit wonder maybe:

Might have to do some orks or something else green and go full circle in order to cleanse the palette.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
i bought this

it's just the cutest thing ever! but how the gently caress do i go about painting that skin?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Super ill over the last couple of days, but managed to get another HQ done.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Mannnnnn the effort to quality ratio is through the roof! But then I love simplicity

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Paul is unimpressed by the glories of the Host.

signalnoise posted:

Mannnnnn the effort to quality ratio is through the roof! But then I love simplicity
how did you keep the lines so clean?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
:siren: Sparmax TC-610H owners :siren:

The feet on the bottom of your compressor are attached via M5 threads. I picked up some of these for less than :10bux: and they have almost completely isolated the compressor from the floor. It no longer transmits a hum through to the room underneath my nerdcave. I suspect other Sparmax feet are also M5 but I have no way of checking.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cross post time

What once was a regular Ogre warrior and a DeeZee miniatures Woolly Rhino is now an Ogre captain on chariot with magnetised left arm, shield

and crossbow

His melee weapon is cobbled together from a skewer, a one handed sword, and a one handed axe, and placed in a drilled out hand where the sword used to be, and the crossbow is converted by having the right hand cut off of it from a regular two handed crossbow, plus he's a foot Ogre I went at with a dremel so he could fit onto the back of his new woolly rhino buddy

That's also the heraldry of my Ogre company on the saddle blanket, which he has because he is of course Inspiring

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Vulich the Subtle posted:

how did you keep the lines so clean?

That is laser-etched acyrilic, my man!

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Paul is unimpressed by the glories of the Host.

signalnoise posted:

That is laser-etched acyrilic, my man!
Yes but you've painted them! Unless you're telling me you got them that way...

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Yeast posted:

Man, I don't know if I'd ever try a scheme built so heavily around secondary colors, but you really pulled it off! Those shades of purple and green are lovely, and contrast nicely with the tans and yellows.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Yeast posted:

That's interesting, because "super ill" are also the words I would use to describe this paint job. Nice work!

(also feel better soon)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Vulich the Subtle posted:

Yes but you've painted them! Unless you're telling me you got them that way...

Airbrush primer, airbrush grey, sealed it, then used nuln oil on the cracks and wiped it away with a paper towel immediately

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I learned something interesting the other day. Apparently, the reason why I paint better with beer in me is that I have an intention tremor. It's some thing where my hand shakes slightly when I reach for something. The tell that it is this type of tremor is that if you have alcohol in your system, it goes away.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

jadebullet posted:

So I learned something interesting the other day. Apparently, the reason why I paint better with beer in me is that I have an intention tremor. It's some thing where my hand shakes slightly when I reach for something. The tell that it is this type of tremor is that if you have alcohol in your system, it goes away.

Holy poo poo this is great news, I have the same and I thought I'm just an alcoholic. :dance:

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

Yeast posted:

That's some excellent work.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

SRM posted:

Man, I don't know if I'd ever try a scheme built so heavily around secondary colors, but you really pulled it off! Those shades of purple and green are lovely, and contrast nicely with the tans and yellows.

Its really interesting you say that because I am the exact opposite. I have to consciously pull myself away from Purple/Green schemes because I use them too much. I have trouble painting things in primaries without making them look like clowns.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

jadebullet posted:

Oh so that's what I have! Good to know!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Nevermind the cat hair. I'm 50/50 on risking loving up painting the rims of the manhole covers red

Also how do you guys decide what to paint next? I got analysis paralysis just looking at my backlog but suffice to say I have tons of time now so when I'm not studying for certifications I am going to paint on a massive scale

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 2, 2016

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

signalnoise posted:

Also how do you guys decide what to paint next? I got analysis paralysis just looking at my backlog but suffice to say I have tons of time now so when I'm not studying for certifications I am going to paint on a massive scale

Im in the same boat. I currently have a poo poo ton of cultists that I just built, my Raptors, and my a Rhino. I don't know what I want to paint next, because they are all really cool.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

signalnoise posted:

I have 3-4 different sets of stuff I'm painting that are all different colour schemes so that when I get bored of painting one thing/group of things I don't have to dread repainting the same scheme for the next thing. Infinity is good for this as 6-10 models is an entire list so I've been able to paint up 2 sides of completely different models and colour schemes. Likewise board games e.g. I'mperial Assault means I can paint something completely different between other stuff. The abundance of good/better quality alternatives that cost much less than I've been used to in the past also means I'm not feeling to guilty about purchasing stuff and doing bits here and there.

Alternatively hide everything away and just get out what it is you want to work on next.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

signalnoise posted:

Nevermind the cat hair. I'm 50/50 on risking loving up painting the rims of the manhole covers red

The oath thread helps me this. Usually the theme makes me think of something fun to do with models in the backlog I may have otherwise not touched, and then besides that it just forces me to pick something from my lead, resin and bonseium mountain to work on for various games.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

richyp posted:

Alternatively hide everything away and just get out what it is you want to work on next.
This is the best way to do it. Right now there's three models on my painting table, makes choosing between them pretty doable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah maybe I'll oath.

CONTENT: