Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

walropodes
Jan 8, 2012

BottleKnight posted:

my best advice is to buy it from the Microsoft Store so you have painless returns.

another good reason for doing this IIRC, is that if you buy even non-MS laptops from the microsoft store then there's no bloatware installed, or at least the ones that say "Signature Edition". the XPS series on their store are all signature edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

dissss posted:

If the XPS 13 is only acceptable then you won't get a 'good' laptop for anything close to that price.

Please don't remind me of my perpetual disappointment with consumer electronics. The drugs and hookers only do so much to cover up my sadness. :rolleyes:

trouser_mouse
Apr 27, 2008

Hi all,

I'm looking for a 13-15" Windows laptop max of about £600, United Kingdom. 15" would be preferable, but happy to trade off if there is a better balance on something with a slightly smaller screen.

More interested in good specs than battery life, as it will be used mostly indoors. Ideally lightweight if possible for when I do need to carry it.

I work from home daily on device, so need a really comfortable keyboard and good matt screen which deals well with sunlight etc. Trackpad not too important as I will use a mouse.

I use multiple applications at once, multiple browser tabs, office inc large excel files, visio etc. Also email. Will also be used for Netflix etc and possibly PhotoShop.

I want it to be responsive, good connectivity, HDMI out and VGA out ideally.

Ethernet Port
At least 3 USB ports
Card reader

CD/DVD drive, would like but not essential.

I'd like to be able to replace/upgrade the RAM/HDD(s) but not essential. SSD would be good for responsiveness.

Basically a good solid all rounder, reliable and pretty decently future proofed.

Someone suggested the Lenovo Thinkpad Edge e560... Looks like that might not be too well thought of around here?

Thanks for any help / suggestions :)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 and Lattitude D830 that are literally sitting in the corner. Is my best option to just trade them into Best Buy for $50 gift cards?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 and Lattitude D830 that are literally sitting in the corner. Is my best option to just trade them into Best Buy for $50 gift cards?

Yeah, those are 10 years old so I don't think you'll get more than that for them.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I want to play Killer Instinct on my laptop, but I don't have a graphics card. I'm thinking about getting an external graphics card. Overall, I'm kind of opposed to getting a PC or a laptop with a graphics card because I want to have a light potable laptop, and I don't need the graphics card anywhere except at home to play Killer Instinct. The thing is, I don't know anything about external graphics cards, so any help would be welcome. I'm doing some research right now, but I'm sure there's someone here who knows about this stuff.

My laptop display only goes to 1600x900, so I'll be running the game at 720p, but that's fine for me. I don't want a setup up with an external monitor.

Safety Scissors fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 2, 2016

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
What laptop? It's not even possible on most models.

walropodes
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, with a couple of exceptions the Thunderbolt 3 stuff is the only polished consumer setup for using an external graphics card, otherwise you're in DIY territory. This site is pretty much the de facto resource for that:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/diy-egpu-experiences.418851/

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

So after the recommendation of a refurb XPS 13 i bought it and it was delivered a few days ago. Initially i did have some odd battery issue where it thought it was empty (when it was not) and i then left it on charge for the night and its come good.

i got the 9350 i7 Model with the 4k touch screen

The good

- The screen is by far one of the best I've ever seen on a laptop and the non existent bezel has made mac-book owners in my class double take and second guess their purchase. Its nice and bright as well and its not awful to use outside.

-The track-pad (so far) is fantastic, its not mac level but for a windows laptop its a huge improvement and a definite step in the right direction. The gestures work close to the mac styling and its a refreshing change, a track pad that is not painful to use.

- It feels solid as a rock, the metal body does make this laptop look and feels nice to use. The internals look nice as well.

The mediocre

-The battery, with normal use i get around 7 hours of word processing and around 5-7 of general use, its alright, i sometimes found myself saying "maybe i should have gotten a mac" Battery life on macs flat out flog everything in the competition pool.

-Cant open the screen with one finger, i know i am being pedantic here but with a bezel this small i always get finger prints on my screen.

-keyboards is decent, but i cant help but say the backspace button is 'just' out of reach for my fingers, but its of minor issue.

The bad
- The screen resolution, sorta stumped on this one, while the screen looks drat amazing i duno if there is a need for it its a 13 inch and you never have your face close enough to distinguish the pixels. It fucks with some older programs and makes them look a bit odd and it puts more drain on the battery.

Imagine this image on a 13 inch screen.

Overall, i sorta wish Dell offered the XPS 15 with a FHD screen 16 gig ram, 84Whr battery and intel 540 (no card). It would have been the perfect size for me with the bezel but so far i am reasonably happy with the purchase. for a 13 inch ultrabook It does everything i want it to do and more. It always easy to throw negatives about a device and the positives definitely do outweigh the negatives of this laptop. I paid around 1700 AUD delivered from greys online.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you return it for the 13" 1080 model you'll get several more hours of battery

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bretzman posted:

A couple of months ago, I saw that the consensus here was an inspiron i7559. Now, it seems to be the XPS 13.

I don't think anyone in this thread has ever suggested the inspiron series was worth anyone's time, especially as a gaming laptop. Please provide sources to your outrageous claims.

walropodes
Jan 8, 2012

I have a question about the storage in the XPS 15: I notice that there is an option on some of the cheaper ones to buy a 32gb SSD + 500gb or 1tb HDD, and when you go up it's just an SSD. I'm assuming that the smaller capacity SSDs might be M2 sticks and there's a slot for a 2.5" drive taken up by the HDD, but I'm not sure if the 256gb SSD model is an M2 or if it's a 2.5" drive. Reason I ask is I'd like to possibly get the 256gb model, and for extra storage toss in a 1tb drive I have.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I think battery size determines whether there is a 2.5" bay or not, the larger one uses the space so no bay.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr
I'm waffling between the xps13, 15, and that i7559. I had an xps15 before and really liked it but eventually it got too hot and died on me. Apparently that was a known issue and they had a finite lifespan to just after warranty which really makes me hesitant with that again. I need something sturdy which can also play some games and watch movies on. I travel a lot so being light is great but not above being tough (I loved the metal body of the old xps15, it took a couple spills and was just fine.) Also the fewer the problems the better, I'm not in a place right now where access to tech support and returns are easy. The 6th gen i5 xps15 is going for about 1058$ as of my last check so I would hate to go over that.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
A friend of mine has come to me for some advice for a new laptop after seeing the great one you guys recommended me a few months back (she's basically got no form of computer in her home).

I've got a Zenbook UX305, but she doesn't need anything quite like that.

Her main uses are just going to be media (video/music/internet/DVD's, etc) and general basic PC stuff.

Portability isn't a huge requirement as it's mainly going to be for home use and I've convinced her that she can hook it up to her TV via HDMI (so it would be handy to have HDMI ports) but it would be nice to be somewhat portable if she ever had to take it anywhere. Being super speedy probably isn't going to be something she needs either so SSD's may be an unnecessary luxury.

Her price range is in the £300-£400 bracket though so i don't know if that really limits the options, especially if we factor in extra peripherals like a wireless mouse/external Blu-ray drive, etc.

Any suggestions?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Safety Scissors posted:

I want to play Killer Instinct on my laptop, but I don't have a graphics card. I'm thinking about getting an external graphics card. Overall, I'm kind of opposed to getting a PC or a laptop with a graphics card because I want to have a light potable laptop, and I don't need the graphics card anywhere except at home to play Killer Instinct. The thing is, I don't know anything about external graphics cards, so any help would be welcome. I'm doing some research right now, but I'm sure there's someone here who knows about this stuff.

My laptop display only goes to 1600x900, so I'll be running the game at 720p, but that's fine for me. I don't want a setup up with an external monitor.

Is there a retail version or do you want to emulate the N64 or MAME versions

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have a inspiron 17. I didn't see it on the DIY list, but there were some 15's there so I imagine it's possible. I took off some of the panels last night, but I couldn't find an mPCI slot. I'd need to have a better look, but it turns out I don't have one of those little screw drivers. I have an 4th gen i7 CPU, so I imagine it must have on though. I doubt there's a retail version available.

Betty
Apr 14, 2008
Aynone have any fantastic reasons not buy a base model Insprion i7559? I really don't care about how heavy it is. Was probably just going to buy and install a seperate SSD to fix the slow load times of the lame 5400rpm hybrid drive they threw in there.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What are the fantastic reasons for purchasing it?

Betty
Apr 14, 2008
It serves the purpose as a modern laptop with a step above intergrated graphics for occasional games for a price point that seems pretty good for what you get.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is your price point, where do you live, what games do you want to play with it? Are you going to travel with it?

I think generally we recommend a Lenovo if you want a clunky consumer mid grade consumer gaming laptop.

The only reason most people would buy a Dell gaming laptop is if their family had some insane discount and/or slick deals had some wicked discount that got them down below $500.

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

N/m

Bolocko fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 31, 2017

Betty
Apr 14, 2008

Hadlock posted:

What is your price point, where do you live, what games do you want to play with it? Are you going to travel with it?

I think generally we recommend a Lenovo if you want a clunky consumer mid grade consumer gaming laptop.

The only reason most people would buy a Dell gaming laptop is if their family had some insane discount and/or slick deals had some wicked discount that got them down below $500.

I'd probably like to spend at the most $800 or so. I live in Wyoming. RTS games, Diablo 3, Civ 5 and similar titles. I don't need something to play the newest big releases, I've already got a desktop that can run all that. I would do light traveling with it, flying home 1-2 times a year and occasional road trips to neighboring states. Honestly, I'd use it for couch surfing/working and something to have whenever I travel away from home and I have no problem with something clunky.

*Edit*
There actually is a better deal on the B&N Lenovo site for the 14" Y700 for $689. That plus this ssd would put me right at my price point.

Betty fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 3, 2016

mrpeaches
Jan 12, 2005

walropodes posted:

I have a question about the storage in the XPS 15: I notice that there is an option on some of the cheaper ones to buy a 32gb SSD + 500gb or 1tb HDD, and when you go up it's just an SSD. I'm assuming that the smaller capacity SSDs might be M2 sticks and there's a slot for a 2.5" drive taken up by the HDD, but I'm not sure if the 256gb SSD model is an M2 or if it's a 2.5" drive. Reason I ask is I'd like to possibly get the 256gb model, and for extra storage toss in a 1tb drive I have.

I'm pretty sure that all of the SSDs on these are m.2 drives.

Just be aware that if you order a SSD only version with the 56whr battery that can fit a 2.5 in drive, it won't come with the cable that you need to actually use that 2.5 in slot. The notebookreview forums have talked about this issue, and apparently it's a bit of a pain to find and order the proper cable to connect a 2.5 in drive to the mainboard.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I have to take hour+ unpaid lunches at work, and I take trips across the US a few times a year and have down time in hotels. So I want a new laptop to do some gaming on. I am not a graphics snob, I just want to run the game competently with no slowdown, even if I have to drop the settings. In both cases I am in a position where I can plop down the laptop on a table, plug it in and play, though I am leaning more toward controller-using games for it. Things like the Dark Souls series (including 3, though I don't know if anyone can give recommendations on that yet), Dragon's Dogma, or FFXIV if I feel like playing an MMO.

Price isn't a big deal to me, I don't have any money-sucking vices other than playing games and occasionally buying electronics. :v: I checked the OP out but I'm not sure how recent all the information is; I am pretty clueless on laptops.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
~feeler alert~

Looking to put my Lenovo T440s up for sale and wanted to see if there is any interest. It's 1080p IPS touch, i5 (4300U), 8gigs of RAM. I added a 3-button touchpad so you don't have to deal with the lovely single slab interface (the original included if you want it). No box, but power adapter and computer. Backlit keyboard, webcam, fingerprint, everything. 256gb SSD. Warranty has 467 days left.

If there's interest, let me know and I'll toss up on SA-Mart. It's an outstanding computer and I used it very little (never left my house, actually). Selling because I stumbled on an irresistible deal for a 4k XPS 15" and have left Lenovo for the first time in 15 yrs...

walropodes
Jan 8, 2012

mrpeaches posted:

I'm pretty sure that all of the SSDs on these are m.2 drives.

Just be aware that if you order a SSD only version with the 56whr battery that can fit a 2.5 in drive, it won't come with the cable that you need to actually use that 2.5 in slot. The notebookreview forums have talked about this issue, and apparently it's a bit of a pain to find and order the proper cable to connect a 2.5 in drive to the mainboard.

Thanks!

I think this is the info you were talking about?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/part-number-for-the-new-xps-15-skylake-sata-cable.783834/#post-10135826

Styles
Jul 17, 2004

Hey guys,

Been through the OP and have been doing some searching but I was wondering if anyone here has been running SolidWorks on a laptop and what is your experience and performance ?

Im new to 3D modeling (pipelines / oil and gas) but have been shopping around and really like the Lenovo Y700 (have another lenovo for business machine).

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Tsurupettan posted:

I have to take hour+ unpaid lunches at work, and I take trips across the US a few times a year and have down time in hotels. So I want a new laptop to do some gaming on. I am not a graphics snob, I just want to run the game competently with no slowdown, even if I have to drop the settings. In both cases I am in a position where I can plop down the laptop on a table, plug it in and play, though I am leaning more toward controller-using games for it. Things like the Dark Souls series (including 3, though I don't know if anyone can give recommendations on that yet), Dragon's Dogma, or FFXIV if I feel like playing an MMO.

Price isn't a big deal to me, I don't have any money-sucking vices other than playing games and occasionally buying electronics. :v: I checked the OP out but I'm not sure how recent all the information is; I am pretty clueless on laptops.

You want a laptop with gsync and a NVIDIA 970m or greater. Gsync minimises stutter and tearing when playing more demanding titles that send your FPS down.

Something like this: http://www.aorus.com/Product/Features/X7%20Pro%20v5 <- dual graphics cards might be overkill.

Edit: Apparently NVIDIA just added SLI support for Dark Souls 3 so maybe it's a good idea: https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4caj1i/new_nvidia_drivers_out_dark_souls_iii_sli_profile/

SLI in a laptop might be hella noisy though.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 3, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LOL at the idea that a normal LAN chipset drops 15% of packets on average.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

hotsauce posted:

~feeler alert~

Looking to put my Lenovo T440s up for sale and wanted to see if there is any interest. It's 1080p IPS touch, i5 (4300U), 8gigs of RAM. I added a 3-button touchpad so you don't have to deal with the lovely single slab interface (the original included if you want it). No box, but power adapter and computer. Backlit keyboard, webcam, fingerprint, everything. 256gb SSD. Warranty has 467 days left.

If there's interest, let me know and I'll toss up on SA-Mart. It's an outstanding computer and I used it very little (never left my house, actually). Selling because I stumbled on an irresistible deal for a 4k XPS 15" and have left Lenovo for the first time in 15 yrs...

So... you replaced the trackpad?

I'm interested, depending on the price.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Styles posted:

Hey guys,

Been through the OP and have been doing some searching but I was wondering if anyone here has been running SolidWorks on a laptop and what is your experience and performance ?

Im new to 3D modeling (pipelines / oil and gas) but have been shopping around and really like the Lenovo Y700 (have another lenovo for business machine).

We use T5x0's and W5x0's

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Fuschia tude posted:

So... you replaced the trackpad?

I'm interested, depending on the price.

Yep, used this guide:

http://camerongray.me/2015/02/fitting-physical-trackpoint-buttons-to-a-lenovo-thinkpad-t440s/

I'll put it up on SA mart later tonight. Have some stuff to do first. Not sure on the price yet, but it'll be reasonable.

Edit: just tossed up some quick pics and a listing:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770908

\/ \/ Not trying to shill my own listing, but I just put up a rock solid Lenovo T440s up for sale. You don't want a junky Toshiba or anything...T or X series Lenovo last forever and are a goon favorite. The T440s is lightweight and the warranty on mine is well over a year still. It ticks the boxes and then some. Just a suggestion.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 4, 2016

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012
My brother needs a new windows laptop and has $800 to spend. He needs it asap so if he could go to bestbuy or somewhere that'd be great, if not no problem I'll just tell him he'll have to wait. It needs to have an SSD. He'd like a touchscreen but I personally think he'd be fine without one. Screen quality isn't a big deal but it needs to be at least 13". 8GB of ram would be nice but he could probably live with 4GB. A decent processor would be great. If anyone has some recommendations would be great, thanks!

<$800
Windows
>= 13" screen, no fancy resolution needed
SSD
i5 or very good i3
8GB ram if possible

mrpeaches
Jan 12, 2005

Yeah that looks like it. I haven't really kept up with that since I have the 84whr one, but it seemed like folks there were having a difficult time getting their hands on the proper cable from Dell. Just something to consider if you plan on going down that path.

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

To XPS 13 owners, check their website for BIOS and driver updates, i updated my bios when i got mine a week ago and they have already released another BIOS update.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

KingEup posted:

You want a laptop with gsync and a NVIDIA 970m or greater. Gsync minimises stutter and tearing when playing more demanding titles that send your FPS down.

Something like this: http://www.aorus.com/Product/Features/X7%20Pro%20v5 <- dual graphics cards might be overkill.

Edit: Apparently NVIDIA just added SLI support for Dark Souls 3 so maybe it's a good idea: https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4caj1i/new_nvidia_drivers_out_dark_souls_iii_sli_profile/

SLI in a laptop might be hella noisy though.

I can't imagine spending $2,200 on a laptop. I mean, I did say 'basically any price' but drat. Let's say ~$1200 to $1400 or under. An SSD would be nice but isn't required, I am just spoiled by it on my PC. 15"ish 1920x1080 monitor.

Something like this? http://www.amazon.com/GL552VW-DH74-15-Inch-Discrete-GeForce-Metallic/dp/B015ZG997I dunno how good this line of laptops is though.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Samsung Notebook 9 is out. Probably a contender for best Windows ultrabook. Thinner and lighter than the XPS 13 but less battery life and worse speakers. Maybe doesn't have all the driver/bios issues the XPS13 has. Still has small bezels, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS0vZRIv6Uo

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Tsurupettan posted:

I can't imagine spending $2,200 on a laptop. I mean, I did say 'basically any price' but drat. Let's say ~$1200 to $1400 or under. An SSD would be nice but isn't required, I am just spoiled by it on my PC. 15"ish 1920x1080 monitor.

Something like this? http://www.amazon.com/GL552VW-DH74-15-Inch-Discrete-GeForce-Metallic/dp/B015ZG997I dunno how good this line of laptops is though.

Filter by 960m and see if you're happy with the FPS: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphics-Cards.13849.0.html

Sager laptops can be heavily customized and you can get 15 inch ones with a SSD, IPS panel, gsync and 970m for about 1450 or so.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Using a laptop without SSD is unthinkable