Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
I mean the car is a year and a half out at least. I doubt the interior is even close to what the final will look like, it's clearly a prototype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Not sure if I want to comment on how it looks like you're driving inside an ikea, the foamy misshapen steering wheel (with misaligned badge!), or the fact that there are no AC vents first.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Yeah I wonder how much of these interiors will turn out to be "concept car" stuff.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Didn't Elon say "hope you enjoy your Model 3 rides"? Are people actually going to be riding around in what obviously is going to smell like a Hobby Lobby?

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

KakerMix posted:

Didn't Elon say "hope you enjoy your Model 3 rides"? Are people actually going to be riding around in what obviously is going to smell like a Hobby Lobby?

https://www.periscope.tv/TeslaMotors/1dRKZyRkpgNxB

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
It's kind of fascinating how this thread has perfectly followed the curve of an Apple keynote. All the way from "I am excited for this new thing" transitioning completely to the sour grapes tasting made up disappointment.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

io_burn posted:

It's kind of fascinating how this thread has perfectly followed the curve of an Apple keynote. All the way from "I am excited for this new thing" transitioning completely to the sour grapes tasting made up disappointment.

Sour grapes implies that we don't like it because we can't have it.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
"Chevy Bolt, we have air conditioning. And a speedometer."

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

That glass ceiling is pretty interesting. Backseat looked pretty big for squeezing 3 adults in there.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm impressed that the specs and price point are where they said they'd be (though really since production is 2 years down the line, Musk could easily still just be pulling numbers out of his rear end). I like the front end of the car and the general styling. I think the interior is garbage. I also think that it'll be a goddamned miracle if anyone in this thread has their Model 3 any time before the end of 2018, when there will be fifty thousand Bolts on the road and six more manufacturers will have similarly competitive electric cars announced or on sale.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
any guesses on what a fully loaded 3 will cost?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Sagebrush posted:

when there will be fifty thousand Bolts on the road and six more manufacturers will have similarly competitive electric cars announced or on sale.

The true purpose of Tesla revealed

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Anubis posted:

I think that only applies if you had a decent portion of people also complaining about that problem. Since you have a thread full of people who actually successfully preordered and watched the stream I don't know what to tell you.

Look, I know I just posted 3 or 4 times in a row about this event sucking and I don't mean to belabor the point but this is not "my" problem, it's a problem with Tesla and the inability to handle large burst of traffic. Something other internet companies have figured out years ago and something I do for a living, so I am frustrated when I see such jankyness. I don't have a way to click on a website wrong, the video works or it does not. This saddened me not because I want to hate on Tesla, quite the opposite. I want them to be wildly successful and usher in a new era of American made transportation and manufacturing greatness. Botching up big public events does not help this, but they do it every time.

Anyhow... still a huge Tesla fanboy, I expected this to go about how it did and I'm sure they will sell 3s as fast as they can make them for a long time. I like the look, the interior will likely change to be less horrible but still not good, like all the Tesla interiors. If it drives anything like a S, even at quite a bit of reduced power, it will still be amazing. Hope to hear more about AWD option, I wonder how much it will cost... $3000 - $5000?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Never been a fan of the hatchback look, but I'll live.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

KakerMix posted:

The true purpose of Tesla revealed

Invest in Tesla so GM can sell more cars!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Sagebrush posted:

With the interior, they're shooting for "cool minimalist techno-aesthetic'" but I've seen enough preproduction models to know that it really screams "frantic last-minute prototype."

I guess they're assuming there are no gauges the driver needs to look at any more, so everything can just be on the monitor. The monitor + a little HUD for the most important info (user-selectable, maybe?) would be great but I doubt that'll happen.

e: wired just said

i.e. cheap
Its an early prototype interior. It'll still have a normal dash display, they just haven't finished it yet.

Not sold on it yet, but happy I did the reservation.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

shadowvine118 posted:

It looks really distracting.

I dunno, it's at least closer to eye level than the Model S center screen.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

blugu64 posted:

Invest in Tesla so they can sell batteries to GM to sell more cars!

Fixed this for you

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

The Bolt uses batteries from LG

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
The live stream was via ustream, so Tesla probably just sent them a feed. The stream was fine for me, but I've had ustream be lovely before, not Tesla's fault.

I am disappointed I haven't received a confirmation email yet, so that's a legit complaint.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

blugu64 posted:

The Bolt uses batteries from LG

ok you got me Tesla is a scam, pack it up and order a Bolt.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

borkencode posted:

The live stream was via ustream, so Tesla probably just sent them a feed. The stream was fine for me, but I've had ustream be lovely before, not Tesla's fault.

I am disappointed I haven't received a confirmation email yet, so that's a legit complaint.
I haven't received my confirmation e-mail either, but I see the charge so they'll get it sorted out. I expect they'll get a lot of that done overnight.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
That, uh, that's one awful looking car. Though i haven't seen many rear shots, so I can't indict the rear. But man, the front end and dash is just...woof. I know i sound old, but I don't want to share the road with somebody driving that car. I know, autopilot will keep them safe while they paw at that dash iMac, it just unsettles me to a great degree.

io_burn posted:

It's sometimes argued that Tesla/Elon are the pressure valve that well-heeled argumentative tech types escaped to when Jobs died.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Jonny 290 posted:

It's sometimes argued that Tesla/Elon are the pressure valve that well-heeled argumentative tech types escaped to when Jobs died.

Probably why everything he touches is equally lovely, overhyped, and bought exclusively by the developmentally disabled.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't like the interior, hope it evolves a bit. Otherwise a slam dunk, I had big expectations and they were exceeded. It's almost too much, can they actually deliver this? The instant $120 million advance revenue should at least help them along! The 7 ft surfboard fitting is also excellent, it means a pair of cross country skis will fit.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The inside screen is actually the key. It's removable and you insert it to start the car.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

OldSenileGuy posted:

What's the deal with that nose? I would think being all snub-nosed like that would hurt aerodynamics.

I also know nothing about the topic.

A pointier nose could cause air flow to become turbulent and separate from the skin of the car just past the nose.
The blunter nose might actually allow flow to stay attached to the hood and sides for longer. Nothing is intuitive with aerodynamics except that bigger cross sections are draggier.
I wouldn't be surprised if that crease were there to intentionally perturb air and get turbulent flow set up where they want it.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
So in that periscope video the tesla guy was talking as if the centre display is the real deal - they're cutting it down to just that display. Speed will be in your peripheral vision while driving. Pretty bold decision, it'll be interesting to see if the screen design itself changes in the next couple of years to production.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ola posted:

I don't like the interior, hope it evolves a bit. Otherwise a slam dunk, I had big expectations and they were exceeded. It's almost too much, can they actually deliver this? The instant $120 million advance revenue should at least help them along! The 7 ft surfboard fitting is also excellent, it means a pair of cross country skis will fit.

Typically, deposits like this are not allowed to be treated as recognized revenue and are held in escrow.

Of Crounse, Tesla is a non-GAAP house so who the gently caress knows.

That screen design blows from a driver perspective but it sure is cheap. The car seems pretty impressive, if it were on sale today. Deliveries in 2018 at this spec is a little underwhelming. Plus, no guarantees on cost targets, production ramp, unit profitability, etc. cooler than the bolt, though.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

El Grillo posted:

So in that periscope video the tesla guy was talking as if the centre display is the real deal - they're cutting it down to just that display. Speed will be in your peripheral vision while driving. Pretty bold decision, it'll be interesting to see if the screen design itself changes in the next couple of years to production.

Yeah, it might be for real. There are good sides and bad sides to it. Getting rid of the gauge cluster is a good thing. More gauges = more spaceship is an old and childish idea. The only permanent indicators you need to drive is a speedo and turn indicators (indicator indicators?). Anything secondary to that like remaining range or navigation can be experimented with. I am guessing it will be a HUD of some kind.

I can think of a few bad sides as well, apart from unreliable first editions of new tech which applies to everything. More touchscreen controls is bad because you can't operate them without looking at them and it's easy to miss the right button if it's bumpy. And don't get me started on voice control, that stupid children's scifi fantasy which is the shittiest way of interfacing with a computer short of emitting detectable smells.

Night vision is another thing, something the Model S does badly. I don't mean infrared screens, I mean a multitude of screens loving up the driver's night vision. Saab had an amazing button that dimmed the entire dash apart from the speedo. Tesla took tons of complaints before they improved night view and it still isn't very good.The screen not only has to support low brightness settings, it also needs good design with high contrast in dark tones.

It's easy to design something gee-wiz, it's hard to make it good to use as well.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I agree, a good low-light display is hard to get right. Even at low brightness settings, they still tend to be way too bright and distracting.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Does the Tesla fuel gauge look like a fuel gauge or is it just a big battery meter like on an iPhone?

Does the auto drive functions integrate with third party map apps?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Anubis posted:

That glass ceiling is pretty interesting. Backseat looked pretty big for squeezing 3 adults in there.

The thought of taking a rock to that glass ceiling is horrifying. Can't imagine what *that* would end up costing to replace. Given a couple years, cars with this feature are going to end up looking like a broke college student's iPhone screen.

El Grillo posted:

Hope that'll work better than mine do in the cold. Getting to -30 or below really fucks up car displays.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Typically, deposits like this are not allowed to be treated as recognized revenue and are held in escrow.

Of Crounse, Tesla is a non-GAAP house so who the gently caress knows.

That screen design blows from a driver perspective but it sure is cheap. The car seems pretty impressive, if it were on sale today. Deliveries in 2018 at this spec is a little underwhelming. Plus, no guarantees on cost targets, production ramp, unit profitability, etc. cooler than the bolt, though.

Yep. In any reasonable accounting standard we'd see Tesla booking e.g. $130 million in new cash right alongside a $130 million liability. There'd be no revenue because Tesla has done nothing to earn it. Add to that the fact that it's a refundable deposit and we have the makings of a hilarious financial disaster if Musk spends any of it.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 1, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Does the Tesla fuel gauge look like a fuel gauge or is it just a big battery meter like on an iPhone?

Does the auto drive functions integrate with third party map apps?

It's a battery meter.

Autopilot doesn't interact with the map at all.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm super interested in the Model 3 but how likely is it that Tesla can deliver well over 100,000 cars given their struggles to deliver the Model X?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Didn't the Scion tC have a similar kind of glass ceiling?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Yuns posted:

I'm super interested in the Model 3 but how likely is it that Tesla can deliver well over 100,000 cars given their struggles to deliver the Model X?

Tesla claims that they're primarily battery constrained. I can believe that to an extent. Building consumer-quality and volume cars is really, really hard and you can see even on the Model S where they are not at a traditional auto OEM level.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Made my reservation at 9am, which means I should receive mine in late 2019! Yay!

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
I can't figure out whether i like the Model 3's styling or not seeing that it will essentially be there 3-series...

I'm leaning towards liking it a lot, especially the front end and the fenders

but the side profile instantly reminded me of Gogo Dodo from Tiny Toon Adventures (but if it actually does make for excellent visibility on the inside then that's great and better than Camaro windows)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
It looks exactly like a tesla.

• Locked thread