Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fishmech posted:

So the guy who made a bad game got so upset it didn't get a good review, he's going to try to sue? Or is the guy trying to sue just a fan of the game?

Basically, the developer Digital Homicide, made a poorly put together game. Jim Sterling did a first impressions video, which the dev mistook for an actual review and felt that it didn't constitute fair use because Sterling didn't talk about any of the positives in the video so they made a "Review the Reviewer" video where they made personal attacks in text over Sterlings first video. Sterling then made a 2nd video pretty much watching and laughing at that video, which then was followed with his channel being hit with a copyright strike (not a Content ID) on YouTube which you only get three of before YouTube shuts down your channel. Eventually it was reversed because YouTube realized how dumb it was and that it was just a guy abusing their system.

Sterling then did a few more first impression videos on the 4 other games released within the same year by the two man development team. This then got more interesting when he found and reported on how DH had been part of a supposed "vote for us on Greenlight and we'll give you a free game code" ring, and making alt accounts on Steam & Greenlight to post their games to so people didn't know it was their game. One such example was them using the name of a Polish game studio, which was proved, and said Polish studio said they'll likely press charges for whatever law is applicable there.

DH kept cranking out games, then had an interview with Sterling over Skype where they argued about stuff for 2 hours and it was amazing. http://www.thejimquisition.com/special-podcast-jim-sterling-and-digital-homicide-hash-it-out/

A while after an anonymous tumbler page posted Sterlings IRL name, address etc. saying that Sterling was stiffling indie developers and that one day he's going to get his comeuppance. It was then removed because, you know, that's loving creepy. They also accused Sterling's t-shirts of copyright infringement because they were using images in parody (eg. Twitter's bird logo dressed up as Snake from Metal Gear saying "#FucKonami").

Now after like two years of this back and forth DH are suing Sterling for defamation, and harassment and are trying to get other people to pay for their lawyers via crowdfunding.

Mekchu has a new favorite as of 21:04 on Mar 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

What in the :psyduck:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Oppression = Privilege x Sunglasses

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

SciFiDownBeat posted:

jim sterling is a dumbo tbh

he's dumb but he's also right; the main problem is that his joke repertoire consists of "pretending nothing is wrong with the game" and "getting bored and talking about something else because the video is way longer than it should be" which isn't as funny as he thinks it is

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:
If nothing else, the bullshit rebreather thing gave me a reason to look up how rebreathers work on wiki, and it's some really cool tech that has been around for a surprisingly long time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Holy Moley. Considering the 1 euro he has raised so far I'm thinking there isn't as much of a market for vagina yeast beer as you would think. I would have at least expected $2

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/first-vaginal-beer-bottled-instinct#/story

anyways enjoy the creepy loving video.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Holy Moley. Considering the 1 euro he has raised so far I'm thinking there isn't as much of a market for vagina yeast beer as you would think. I would have at least expected $2

I love the juxtaposition between the hot models and the vagina yeast beer.

I guess this is inevitable ever since that one woman made bread using her yeast.

http://jezebel.com/happy-thanksgiving-this-woman-just-ate-the-bread-she-m-1744814662

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I was honestly expecting some sort of pseudo feminist thing from it with all of these weird ladies that like to make things out of their body waste these days, but nope it appears just to be some pervert.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The MSJ posted:

I guess this is inevitable ever since that one woman made bread using her yeast.

http://jezebel.com/happy-thanksgiving-this-woman-just-ate-the-bread-she-m-1744814662

This and the menstrual blood pancake. Women are gross

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/451338159/arlanora

quote:

Arlanora is a story of two races, beast and human living side by side peacefully, till a third race of monsters threatens that peace by wanting to destroy the human race! When beast comes to defend the humans they too are harmed.

It is now time for Aurren, a warrior of Arlanora to step up and search for heroes outside of his home region and all he has ever known to fend off and defeat a race of nightmare monsters.

The game plays like a strategic, hack and slash button masher with the openness of an RPG. Arlanora includes unique regions for you to explore but also tons of different heroes with individual play styles and abilities to help you save the world and ultimately restore peace to Arlanora.

Examples of the game's spritework:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Unfunny Poster posted:

Basically, the developer Digital Homicide, made a poorly put together game. Jim Sterling did a first impressions video, which the dev mistook for an actual review and felt that it didn't constitute fair use because Sterling didn't talk about any of the positives in the video so they made a "Review the Reviewer" video where they made personal attacks in text over Sterlings first video. Sterling then made a 2nd video pretty much watching and laughing at that video, which then was followed with his channel being hit with a copyright strike (not a Content ID) on YouTube which you only get three of before YouTube shuts down your channel. Eventually it was reversed because YouTube realized how dumb it was and that it was just a guy abusing their system.

When people pointed out that there were a bunch more youtube videos about Digital Homicide's game but they'd only targeted this one youtube channel they responded by saying that his 'review' hadn't been fair therefore it wasn't protected under Fair Use therefore it was copyright infringement.

They're not quite right in the brain department.

ce gars
Dec 31, 2007

I've always loved that Kickstarter requires you to fill out the risks and challenges section, because I always scroll down to them immediately. Nine times out of ten, they say some variation of "we expect nothing bad at all to happen because we are very good :downs:"

From the rebreather IGG:

quote:

Risks and Challenges
We love a challenge. And we’ve already overcome quite a few! As previously mentioned, December 2016 is our first month for shipping. We can’t wait until the Triton is on the market. Worst case scenario, there will be a delay until January 2017.

This tells me almost nothing.

ce gars has a new favorite as of 06:06 on Mar 30, 2016

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

I'm pretty sure that vaginal yeast is very different from beer-making yeast and this beer would be either very bad or not beer at all. :gonk:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

ce gars posted:

I've always loved that Kickstarter requires you to fill out the risks and challenges section, because I always scroll down to them immediately. Nine times out of ten, they say some variation of "we expect nothing bad at all to happen because we are very good :downs:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oiyl-EtGeVk&t=29s

Zereth posted:

I'm pretty sure that vaginal yeast is very different from beer-making yeast and this beer would be either very bad or not beer at all. :gonk:

I don't know. That link I posted earlier shows that it's the same as bread yeast. Maybe that's different from beer yeast.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Looks pretty good for a free game.

What do you mean it costs $7?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ce gars posted:

From the rebreather IGG:

lmao

You know what? I say good on them for convincing idiots to part with their money for something so obviously fake.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The MSJ posted:

I don't know. That link I posted earlier shows that it's the same as bread yeast. Maybe that's different from beer yeast.
There's a lot of things that'll make dough rise but not as may that make bread that's any good.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

ce gars posted:

No no no, 6 out of 10 are that, 3 are "the biggest risk is that our Kickstarter/IGG won't make its goal".

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"We haven't gotten permission from the transnational corporation to use their multi-billion dollar IP, yet, but that's a small hurdle." :downs:

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Zereth posted:

Oh that's no problem, they're not using the yeast, they're using bacteria to make the beer sour. :eng99:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Cannibalism sure got weird.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

ce gars posted:

This tells me almost nothing.

It tells you quite a lot about the type of people running the Kickstarter.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

ce gars posted:

Worst case scenario, there will be a delay until January 2017.

This tells me there is no chance they know what they're talking about. There's longer than a month delay on a lot of people returning library books.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Goddamit did one of you guys donate to the vagina beer?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_Beard_Beer

ce gars
Dec 31, 2007

Jesus christ people can we please stop making beer out of poo poo that comes off of us.

quote:

During development, the beer's working name was New Crustacean

:barf:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Stevie's Gourmet Grilled Cheese Restaurant

quote:

I've been in the restaurant business for 26yrs and in just 2yrs I lost the family business and my 21yr old daughter. I would like to open a gourmet grilled cheese place in her name. There are currently none in this area and is a growing trend. I have the cooking and business skills to make this a success. Thank you for your support

Asking $30,000 and only offering two pledge levels: $50 gets you a 'thanks' email and $1000 gets you free grilled cheese for the life of the restaurant.

You know what you have to do, goons.

edit - Have some :catdrugs: :lsd: from a hosed-up army veteran

The River Styx

quote:

The story follows the struggle to understand right and wrong, real and unreal; in politics and friendship—while culminating in an exploration of our perplexing nature in which we lack true understanding of basic reality. The theme itself, organically developed, is ostensibly very similar to Absurdism and pataphysics. At its core the book can be described as 1984 meets Dante’s Inferno, meets Don Quixote.

He's asking $20,000 to?? Write a book, I think? There's a 'sample' that seems to be as long as a novella that I'm not going to read but you should really read the 'Risks and Challenges' section if you don't read anything else.

And some more garbage:
Is it a dog tag? A knife? Yes! It's both and it costs $145 for some reason.

$5000 for some guy to buy a Darth Vader costume and shoot a 'fan film'. He just needs to find 'a nice, open park area with green grass' to film in. It certainly takes me back to all those iconic Star Wars scenes that took place on rolling, green hills. Oh no, wait, that was Sound of Music :geno:

A graphic novel about Hitler

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

cyberia posted:

Stevie's Gourmet Grilled Cheese Restaurant

Asking $30,000 and only offering two pledge levels: $50 gets you a 'thanks' email and $1000 gets you free grilled cheese for the life of the restaurant.

You know what you have to do, goons.
No tomato soup pics?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Oh no, they've got the "everyone's nose is red and swollen and shiny" comic disease :ohdear:

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

He offers to draw 500 backers faces into this comic. I wonder how many neckbeards were in The Third Reich

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

It would be one of the few instances where a fedora would fit in.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Oh no, they've got the "everyone's nose is red and swollen and shiny" comic disease :ohdear:
Alcoholism?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

laserghost posted:

He offers to draw 500 backers faces into this comic. I wonder how many neckbeards were in The Third Reich

A lot of gross loser nerds would fit in well with all the white supremacists. Where is that "where is your chin" comic when I need it

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

TetsuoTW posted:

Alcoholism?

Tumbleroid Hyperpigmentnaria.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Tumbleroid Hyperpigmentnaria.

Please, it's deviantartitis

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

It's always lupus.

Here's an individual that wants to open a cosplay store in Florida. Not the most awful, but look at the backer tiers and risks! Don't worry about finding a building though, they've already found a "relater."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/226299189/kikkies-house-of-cosplay?ref=category_newest

ce gars
Dec 31, 2007

Don't most cosplayers people make their costumes themselves, or commission someone else to do it?

quote:

Building: $3,294.00
Mannequins: $48-100
Clothes Racks: $17-100
Paint: $306.00
Costumes: $10,000.00
extra items (Such as jewels, fake weapons, make-up): $5,000.00
Sign: $147.80
Cash register: $99-200
Warehouse: $700

These costs are weird, especially the sign. And not to nitpick, but you're gonna need more than that for mannequins unless you just want one.

I checked.

ce gars has a new favorite as of 06:52 on Apr 1, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like how it's basically just "pay for me to start a small business" with no real incentive for backers. Then again I guess that's what doobie was doing and goons gave him thousands of dollars.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ce gars posted:

Don't most cosplayers people make their costumes themselves, or commission someone else to do it?

Some do, some don't. It really varies. You could probably make a business on importing and then direct mailing officially licensed stuff from Japan. I doubt a storefront would do too well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

Alcoholism?

How to get rid of a red nose: drink 'til it turns blue.