Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Reminder to get your auto sport predictions in. Mercedes are saying they haven't changed the way the cars start, if you believe them or not depends on how much you trust Niki Lauda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
also they are running quali set up now because they don't trust the weather.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

That Aston Martin badge on the Red Bull nose

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I wish I had a name as cool as Stoffel Vandoorne, though I'd probably waste it

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
It's a Mentos

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Halo14 posted:

Wonder if there's any parts from Fernando's car in this new one.

i think honda determined the engine was a goner. the impact even cracked alonso's seat so i doubt they're reusing the monocoque.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Bubble gum chat on Sky

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Stoffel rhymes with waffle.

He's Belgian.

:v:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Is this new Mclaren decal permanent or a promotional thing? It's pretty nifty.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Is this new Mclaren decal permanent or a promotional thing? It's pretty nifty.

what decal is it?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Having just read 400 posts could I recommend closing this thread from Sunday night after a race to Friday morning before the next one?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's extremely stupid that you can use up an allowed engine from crash damage IMO

(allowed numbers of engine failures are dumb)

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Alain Post posted:

It's extremely stupid that you can use up an allowed engine from crash damage IMO

Are you suggesting that starting with a 50 place grid penalty is something less than ideal?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Alain Post posted:

It seemed like a good idea at the time to get around the old days of engine manufacturers spending megabucks on grenades just for single qualifying runs but yeah it's dumb.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

very low 1:32 for Merc

Something just flew off the haas

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

be nice wicka posted:

what decal is it?

Sliver of a moon with stars around it.

lol this tear off strip glovebox thing has come about because drivers have been trying to use them to gently caress up the car behind.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

julian assflange posted:

Having just read 400 posts could I recommend closing this thread from Sunday night after a race to Friday morning before the next one?

Or alternatively could you not just only read the thread on race weekends...

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 1, 2016

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Cheese reference? Were we expecting one?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

simplefish posted:

Cheese reference? Were we expecting one?

It became a really horrible and forced "thing" last year, to the point that Ted actually asked Arrivabene how they were getting hold of mozzarella in Russia.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Well that sounds pointless

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Sliver of a moon with stars around it.

it's the chandon logo without "chandon" bc they're in no-drinking-land

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Best shot I can find.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

learnincurve posted:

It became a really horrible and forced "thing" last year, to the point that Ted actually asked Arrivabene how they were getting hold of mozzarella in Russia.
Ted horrible forced and awkward with unfunny jokes? Surely not, Sky

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

McLaren pit wearing Designer Aprons or is that just a fashion disaster of a T-shirt that makes fat crew look even fatter?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Ted horrible forced and awkward with unfunny jokes? Surely not, Sky

His 'yeehaw' to Haas after Australia ended any liking I had for Ted.

I would have loved it if Haas replied with a bowler hat, those fake Bubba teeth, a funny walk and 'yer right mate, me old mucka!'

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I hope Haas' Steiner is doing some silly patriotic South Tyrol thing at the Austrian race.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

learnincurve posted:

Best shot I can find.

Surely thats just for Chandon, doesn't their logo have something similar?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Yeah, as wicka said halfway up this page it's no drinking land so they've censored Chandon. Williams seem to be ok running Martini and Force India still have Kingfisher beer so I dunno what's up really.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Bless Up, The Movie - coming to a theater near you!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tsaedje posted:

Yeah, as wicka said halfway up this page it's no drinking land so they've censored Chandon. Williams seem to be ok running Martini and Force India still have Kingfisher beer so I dunno what's up really.

Missed wicka's post.

Doesn't one of the princes there own a fairly big chunk of McLaren? That would explain why others are doing it but McLaren aren't.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Missed wicka's post.

Doesn't one of the princes there own a fairly big chunk of McLaren? That would explain why others are doing it but McLaren aren't.

yep, the bahraini royal family owns half of mclaren

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

1500quidporsche posted:

Missed wicka's post.

Mansour Ojjeh isn't a prince and he's French/Saudi/Luxembourgish (for tax purposes). He does own 25% of McLaren though.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Just looked up the company registry and Bahrain Mumtalakat Holding Company has 50% Ron has 25% and Ojjeh has 25%

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

julian assflange posted:

Or you could not come in?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Apparently the regs for engine power-units is per driver and not per car. See sporting regs, 23.4.

"Unless he drives for more than one team (see 23.4(g) below), and subject to the additions described in b) and c) below, each driver may use no more than four power units during a Championship season."

so that Stoffel guy gets a brand new [s]engine
PU[s/]

Edit: no it doesnt never mind

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

julian assflange posted:

Locking the thread would deprive us of a huge amount of F1 soap opera, and if you don't like the posting, just read the latest page when you get to Friday, and don't force yourself to read 400 posts.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It's not even that bad right now to be honest. Wicka's rants are only coming in at one or two paragraphs.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

track day bro! posted:

(see 23.4(g) below)

g) If a driver is replaced at any time during the Championship season his replacement will be deemed to be the original driver for the purposes of assessing power unit usage.

Also it's 5 power units because of c) The number in a) above will also be increased by one if the number of Events, as scheduled at the start of the first Event of the Championship, exceeds 20.

Also e) the power unit will be deemed to comprise six separate elements, the engine (ICE), the motor generator unit-kinetic (MGU-K), the motor generator unit-heat (MGU-H), the energy store (ES), turbocharger (TC) and control electronics (CE). Each driver will therefore be permitted to use four of each of the above six components during a Championship season and any combination of them may be fitted to a car at any one time.

This is why they talk about the power units and not just engines. It means had any of the 6 power unit parts been salvageable they could be used again.

E: you corrected your mistake while I was typing

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

It's not even that bad right now to be honest. Wicka's rants are only coming in at one or two paragraphs.

seriously STOP. i am not ranting. i am not freaking out. i am not melting down. i am writing regular posts. this meme is tired and unfunny and it is over.

all of you are crying about the death of the sport and i am one of the very few people who apparently doesn't share that opinion. the fact that i disagree with you does not make me angry. drop it forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Tsaedje posted:

Martini branding magically changes purpose to represent the clothing part of the brand in these places.

• Locked thread