Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

That clarification video is super saddening because it's clear he's in a really poor financial state, and his dedication to a set of ideals that simply do not work in practice is only making it worse. He's gone on record in previous videos about having mental health problems he purposefully avoids getting help for because of the cost (and his personal belief that humans are inherently rational and he can think his way out of it).

Chromatic posted:

drat, Owen is looking pretty rough these days. I wonder who he is talking about suing? Hbomberguy?
It could be Serena Nelson but it's probably David Futrelle. All Nelson did was write a slightly critical article (and I quote: "this might not be the documentary we've been waiting for") in which she documented that Jordan purposefully dodged her questions. Jordan called her out because he "didn't know [he] was being interviewed" - which is code for "If I'd known that ignoring you once you asked something difficult would have blowback I might have bothered to respond". That might sound like I'm miscasting him to make him look bad, but I was there, reading the posts on the Sierra Gamers Facebook (I like space quest and gabriel knight all right?!), and the guy kept ceasing conversation with people once they asked questions about his contradictory budget claims. 30,000 dollars of the budget kept getting treated as simultaneously 'optional' and 'necessary for the documentary's completion'.

His 'legal action' is claiming that Futrelle's use of the word 'con' in an article is an act of libelous proportions that has made it impossible for him to work in "my chosen industry", which I believe is the crowdfunded documentary industry(??). It'd cost thousands to take him to court over this. And then minutes for Futrelle's lawyer to point out that 'con' doesn't always literally mean to deceive people because people use words in jokey over the top ways on parody internet blogs, or to, you know, ask how a guy on a parody internet blog ruined his career with a single joke article (OR, to raise the highly questionable and contradictory claims he made about the cost of making the doc in the first place). It's worse than silencing criticism, it's demanding money by pretending this criticism ruined a non-existent career.

If such a lawsuit ever comes to light it will be the worst thing Jordan Owen could possibly imagine, because it will cost money that would very clearly have been better spent and it will set a precedent for wankers trying to sue jokemen for making jokes. The kind of precedent Britain has had for years thanks to Private Eye and once-most-sued-man-ever Ian Hislop. I almost wish Jordan had the fanbase required to get the money. The kind of precedent Jim Sterling is going to be helping to set very soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Chromatic posted:

drat, Owen is looking pretty rough these days. I wonder who he is talking about suing? Hbomberguy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh_AFUzsxwA

Edit: Wait, it's Serena Nelson, who roasted him on another one of his planned documentaries that fell through.

http://cliqist.com/2016/01/13/quest-the-story-of-sierra-on-line-might-not-be-the-documentary-were-looking-for/

Cripes, this guy is just a never-ending train-wreck.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Annointed posted:

And Batman should just siphon off the city with his companies. Green Lantern should've stayed evil and collected all the rings without the need of a space bug crawled up his rear end. Spiderman should've joined up with the Green Goblin.

I think you lost your point somewhere. e: Like killing people can be moral, despite being terrible. Killing Zod makes perfect sense in MoS, because it brings the story together both morally and in the narrative. Superman has to live with both the glory and terror that comes with power. If Zod had been shunted off into the Phantom Zone or whatever, the movie would be stripped of its catharsis.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Apr 1, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I know I shouldn't wish for this because I know it will hurt him, but I hope Brad does a midnight screening tonight for God's Not Dead 2.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Kunster posted:

When I heard Phelous did a review of an Hunchback of Notre Dame cartoon, I thought it was gonna be the Dingo Pictures one.

I wholly expect him too. I have only seen two short clips from this "film" and both have made me laugh so hard tears came to my eyes. I can only imagine Phelous riffing on the whole thing.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I think you lost your point somewhere. e: Like killing people can be moral, despite being terrible. Killing Zod makes perfect sense in MoS, because it brings the story together both morally and in the narrative. Superman has to live with both the glory and terror that comes with power. If Zod had been shunted off into the Phantom Zone or whatever, the movie would be stripped of its catharsis.

The catharsis is meant to be from the pov of a director who can't wrap his mind around the idea that a person can't know killing is wrong unless you already did it. And any catharsis that is there is swiftly removed upon realizing that many, many deaths are in the background.

By putting him in the Phantom Zone it shows what Superman does best, being the symbol of hope that rest assured, Superman can save the day. Oh wait he destroys as much of the city as Zod, so the point's moot no matter how Zod goes.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

It's a little saddening to see people arguing about the kill/don't kill thing using in-story stuff (Joker always escapes!) to support them, when the original point was about how we write things. The only reason killing becomes necessary in any narrative is because the writer wrote the narrative that way. It would be just as possible to make a narrative where no death has to happen, but that's not what the writer was going for.

ETA: Also yes thank you for the Thunderf00t video HBG. I had to block that dude's channel because I was tired of his bajillion "SARKEESIAN! :argh:" vids cluttering up my recs.

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 1, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
bravest of lamps is right

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
YourMovieSucksDotOrg put out his Top 10 Films of 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onVHqQSiwnI

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Annointed posted:

The catharsis is meant to be from the pov of a director who can't wrap his mind around the idea that a person can't know killing is wrong unless you already did it. And any catharsis that is there is swiftly removed upon realizing that many, many deaths are in the background.

Why do you think the director thinks that you can only that killing is bad unless you do it? There's certainly nothing in the movie that implies that. You should look at what the movie says: Superman kills someone (out of necessity), and screams in agony. It's about the horror and weight of violence.

quote:

By putting him in the Phantom Zone it shows what Superman does best, being the symbol of hope that rest assured, Superman can save the day. Oh wait he destroys as much of the city as Zod, so the point's moot no matter how Zod goes.

I'm starting to get the impression that "symbol of hope" is a roundabout way of saying "brand I like". I suppose it's easier to symbolise hope than to do good.

Puppy Time posted:

ETA: Also yes thank you for the Thunderf00t video HBG. I had to block that dude's channel because I was tired of his bajillion "SARKEESIAN! :argh:" vids cluttering up my recs.

Rational

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 1, 2016

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I personally really, really, like that the film ends with Superman killing one person, a pretty evil person too, and very arguably doing the right thing - but he still doesn't enjoy it, or feel good about it. The story doesn't shy away from loopholes to prevent Superman from having to kill people, like VS The Elite or the comics tend to do. Maybe it just lines up with my personal philosophy that killing people is never a good thing, but sometimes it is necessary to consider when such a thing should be done. For me it's the most interesting and emotional scene in a superhero film, except maybe the first Hulk.

Puppy Time posted:

I'm glad you liked it. Thanks a lot!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

An issue with Superman being sad about killing Zod is that the movie doesn't dwell on this and instead goes right to cheeky comic relief about Superman threatening the US military and then the credits roll. Even Amazing Spider-Man 2 handled a hero feeling depressed and guilty better, since there was at least one more scene that turned it into sort of an arc before they rushed to an upbeat conclusion.

I can't believe these two superheroes might control the fate of the Middle East!

Anyway, I know I've used the whole "racist people are actually unhappy and damaged people" line before to smugly dismiss racists, but these days what with our whole political climate and all I'm actually seeing that correlation in real life. People like Jordan Owen just come across as very deeply depressed and that they're just looking for someone else to blame their problems on. It kinda sucks.
Good video on Thunderfoot, Hhbomberguy. I've never seen such a bizarre overreaction to a pretty mundanely bad comedy trailer. I wish Adam Sandler's bad movie trailers got this kind of response too, but those aren't about girls so I guess it's never gonna happen.

Augus fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 1, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1q4zv5hYX8

Someone really needs to tell Todd he needs to stop providing His Take on new movies because even when he's right he's really annoying about it.

Otherwise a good video.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
This kill/no kill stuff might not work so well in comic book land where everyone seems to come back to life all the time anyway. But it does remind me how much I hate the "non-lethal" runs in games. Oh good job instead of shooting him in the head cleanly and humanely, you just choked off oxygen to his brain for 15 minutes and broke half his limbs. Have some extra karma.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Augus posted:

Anyway, I know I've used the whole "racist people are actually unhappy and damaged people" line before to smugly dismiss racists, but these days what with our whole political climate and all I'm actually seeing that correlation in real life. People like Jordan Owen just come across as very deeply depressed and that they're just looking for someone else to blame their problems on. It kinda sucks.

What Donald Trump basically boils down to is poor white people getting angry because they're realizing that just being white doesn't make them hot poo poo anymore, and since the dream of social mobility is now dead and buried, that was the last thing keeping them happy about their lot in life.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Jack Gladney posted:

I know I shouldn't wish for this because I know it will hurt him, but I hope Brad does a midnight screening tonight for God's Not Dead 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QjT-AaFyTM

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Wait Pureflix is doing a Columbine movie? Christ on a bike that'll be something. :psyduck:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

An issue with Superman being sad about killing Zod is that the movie doesn't dwell on this and instead goes right to cheeky comic relief about Superman threatening the US military

This, forever and ever

DStecks posted:

What Donald Trump basically boils down to is poor white people getting angry because they're realizing that just being white doesn't make them hot poo poo anymore, and since the dream of social mobility is now dead and buried, that was the last thing keeping them happy about their lot in life.

That "poor white people" have no other recourse than Trump is the most damning condemnation of the progressive movement possible.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Yardbomb posted:

Wait Pureflix is doing a Columbine movie? Christ on a bike that'll be something. :psyduck:

I read the She Said Yes book written by one of the victims who they claim was shot for professing faith in Christ. Spoiler alert: according to all evidence, that's not what happened, and the book is as full of exploitative lies as you'd expect.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Yardbomb posted:

i think this is going to end up being their craziest and/or offensive movie ever.

I'm hoping they full control crazy and show the columbine shooters stare at a coumpter Moniter and just hear satans instructions.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

WickedHate posted:

I read the She Said Yes book written by one of the victims who they claim was shot for professing faith in Christ. Spoiler alert: according to all evidence, that's not what happened, and the book is as full of exploitative lies as you'd expect.

Yeah, that's what I assumed it's gonna be on. I read some book or another that backed up the last bit there as well, that a good handful of people who were in the room didn't hear a peep as to their belief in jesus or whatever else. Also that a bunch of fuckin vultures apparently jumped on her family after the shooting for not backing up the "She died for jesus" angle, wanting those sweet dead teenager martyrbux.

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm hoping they full control crazy and show the columbine shooters stare at a coumpter Moniter and just hear satans instructions.

That or they'll do the hilarious thing and try to blame Marilyn Manson again, when the dudes didn't even listen to him.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 1, 2016

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

DStecks posted:

Anyone who thinks Trump's nationalism and protectionism doesn't appeal like hell to lots of blue collar minorities (who are desperate to avoid unemployment) is delusional. The majority probably won't support him because of other things he's also said unrelatedly to that, but lol if you think most minorities that are heavily social conservative are repulsed by the fact that Trump probably hates transgender folks or whatever intersectional cause you're thinking about atm.

Minorities vote unsurprisingly Democrat because Republicans are perceived as more likely to starve them to death. It's really got nothing to do with Dem's more social justice-ish views and if you don't realize that you should get off Tumblr and spend more time irl in those neighborhoods.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 1, 2016

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah, that's what I assumed it's gonna be on. I read some book or another that backed up the last bit there as well, that a good handful of people who were in the room didn't hear a peep as to their belief in jesus or whatever else. Also that a bunch of fuckin vultures apparently jumped on her family after the shooting for not backing up the "She died for jesus" angle, wanting those sweet dead teenager martyrbux.

That or they'll do the hilarious thing and try to blame Marilyn Manson again, when the dudes didn't even listen to him.

Would making Marilyn Manson culturally relevant again be the worst thing this film does? :v:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Yardbomb posted:

I misspoke, the book I read was written by the victim's mother. Blame not the vultures in that case.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

DeusExMachinima posted:

Anyone who thinks Trump's nationalism and protectionism doesn't appeal like hell to lots of blue collar minorities (who are desperate to avoid unemployment) is delusional. The majority probably won't support him because of other things he's also said unrelatedly to that, but lol if you think most minorities that are heavily social conservative are repulsed by the fact that Trump probably hates transgender folks or whatever intersectional cause you're thinking about atm.

Minorities vote unsurprisingly Democrat because Republicans are perceived as more likely to starve them to death. It's really got nothing to do with Dem's more social justice-ish views and if you don't realize that you should get off Tumblr and spend more time irl in those neighborhoods.

Protectionism might appeal to working-class minorities in isolation, but from Trump, never. And Trump's nationalism? :laffo:

A, Black people are fully aware that the GOP base views us as mooching parasites and not "Real Americans" (TM). Thus, we have no place in their nationalism. The utter refusal to accept Obama's legitimacy for eight years, the movement based around the belief that he is a secret Muslim born in Kenya (which Trump played a big role in), and the unprecedented obstructionism from Congress has helped confirm this.

B, I would assume Latinos feel similarly, considering the various racist incidents against them Trump has already inspired.

Trump is a Republican without the dogwhistles. Instead of euphemisms like "makers and takers" he just straight up retweets lies from white supremacist accounts. No amount of protectionism will ever make up for that. It's too loving late.

Trump is going to do historically badly with minorities if he gets the nomination, though it is increasingly looking like the GOPe will figure out a way to gently caress him out of it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Trump appeals to my Latino relatives more than any previous Republican candidate, but they're still hardcore democrats.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
This time on Bootleg Zones, Phelous reviews ultra rare limited edition handcrafted wooden Star Wars figurines

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Not to turn this into DnD, but I do think Drumpf will be the nominee. As bad as Drumpf being the GOP nominee will be, the possible fallout from screwing him over would be way worse. The GOP leadership would basically confirm everything Drumpf has been saying about them.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 1, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

WickedHate posted:

I misspoke, the book I read was written by the victim's mother. Blame not the vultures in that case.

That's the book that's mostly about how she was possessed by demons because she wanted to stay out past curfew and go on dates, right? They broke her spirit with prayer and then the devil was so mad he sent crazy boys with guns to shoot her?

I kind of give them a pass because they're insane from grief because their child died senselessly, but they really didn't give her a very good life.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

SO *claps hands* Content.

As a sort-of followup to his Sonic video, Super Bunnyhop plays a lot of old SNK games.

And Going Rampant continues her April 1st tradition of reviewing incredibly over-the-top sexist films. This year, it's Gene Roddenberry's Planet Earth. It's Planet of the Apes, only instead of Charlton Heston, it's John Saxon, and instead of apes, it's women's lib.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Planet Earth is loving nuts. It's literally somebody's fetish. I have it on VHS and the back of the box calls Diana Muldauer a dominatrix.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So Gene Roddenberry made the Mirror Universe version of Gor? Makes sense.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Genesis II is also a bondage fantasy. Not John Saxon breaks into the slave training dungeon for a lot of the runtime.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah....yeah it is. :psypop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI8LYSAUZCU

Oh dear sweet Jesus, I sincerely hope that David A.R. White gets the holy gently caress sued out of him for this.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What is there to be ashamed of?

Why is she ashamed?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

What is there to be ashamed of?

Why is she ashamed?

Exploiting tragedy? That she'll have to look one of the survivors in the face one day?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

"I am Not Ashamed" Is actually the studio motto for Pure Flix.

Wait, why was everyone wearing backwards white baseball caps? Were the 90s that tacky or is that what David R White think teens look like?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 2, 2016

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

BigRed0427 posted:

"I am Not Ashamed" Is actually the studio motto for Pure Flix.

Wait, why was everyone wearing backwards white baseball caps? Were the 90s that tacky or is that what David R White think teens look like?

Just '90s jocks.

Not the jocks in my school though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

All 90s jocks were basically Jonathan Taylor Thomas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So,apparently Mr.Enter (the Animated Atrocities guy) is in hot legal water with an Australian company that doesn't know what the words "free use" mean. *insert Mad Max joke here*

• Locked thread