Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Invalido posted:

Thats what I did :doh:

Guess how I knew it was possible...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

atomicthumbs posted:

it's likely the connector on your speed sensor has failed. on my 94 940 turbo, at least, it's on the rear of the differential; I rebuilt mine with a pair of crimp-on connectors (sized approximately right, because the actual connectors are some metric half-sized) and hot glue.

welp it was this

i reached up to touch the connector and the cable and they both just fell apart. now the speedometer doesn't work at all. problem discovered, but not solved. appreciate the input.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
There's a wealth of knowledge among some of the posters in this thread to be sure.
Does anyone know the best way to silence a squeaky creaky center console?

Apart from fixing the window I put on the summer wheels this weekend. Like every spring it feels like getting a new car when the studs come off; silent, comfortable, responsive. I think I may have to get a set of studless winter tires for next season. I read good things about the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2. Not as good as studs on ice, particularly wet ice, but superior in every other way I think.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Invalido posted:

I'd be interested in this as well. Seems my driver's side mirror is rattling and driving me crazy now, too.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

FordPRefectLL posted:

welp it was this

i reached up to touch the connector and the cable and they both just fell apart. now the speedometer doesn't work at all. problem discovered, but not solved. appreciate the input.

on the plus side, your odometer doesn't work either! on the minus side your engine no longer has a fuel cut when coasting or decelerating

I believe I ended up replacing the harness to a foot or two up from the connector because the insulation was totally rotten; I covered it in electrical tape but heat shrink is better if you have proper tools. Don't lose that connector housing.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Invalido posted:

There's a wealth of knowledge among some of the posters in this thread to be sure.

Apart from fixing the window I put on the summer wheels this weekend. Like every spring it feels like getting a new car when the studs come off; silent, comfortable, responsive. I think I may have to get a set of studless winter tires for next season. I read good things about the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2. Not as good as studs on ice, particularly wet ice, but superior in every other way I think.

I have Hakkapeliitta Rs on my 850 and they are way quieter than my summer tires. I'm happy with them, but i dont drive too much on wet sheet ice.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Humbug posted:

I have Hakkapeliitta Rs on my 850 and they are way quieter than my summer tires. I'm happy with them, but i dont drive too much on wet sheet ice.

I don't drive much on wet sheet ice either. I'm just sort of emotionally dreading finding myself in need of studs and not having them. I'm a bit of a paranoid prepper when it comes to winter motoring I suppose. The rational part of me thinks studless hakkas is the best fit for my actual needs, all things considered.

I've been reading about center console creak and there doesn't seem to be an easy fix like I was hoping. More like take everything apart and prevent anything plastic to touch anything else that's plastic and hope that makes it better. I'm still thinking about hosing down the armrest area with PTFE lubricant spray however.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
How's cost of ownership on the second gen C70? Was it offered with a manual tranmission in the states? I'm thinking of getting one to eventually throw my kid in. The Miata is also hard on a chronic back injury I have. I know the C70 is more of a cruiser, but I can deal.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Why did Volvo decide that it was a good idea to not have any proper jacking points at the rear of the V70II? I swapped tires in a hurry using the lovely jack that comes with, and I'm not doing that again. I heard that they make a jack pad adaptor thing, but it's impossible to find.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The sunroof in my C70 was making a rattling noise so I took a peak in there and found a loose piece of metal about 2.5' long, it's got a slight curve to match the roof and a channel stamped into one side. It appears to have been glued to the underside of the roof somewhere behind the sunroof? Anybody know what this is and if I should be concerned? It doesn't seem to affect the functioning of the sunroof...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

Why did Volvo decide that it was a good idea to not have any proper jacking points at the rear of the V70II? I swapped tires in a hurry using the lovely jack that comes with, and I'm not doing that again. I heard that they make a jack pad adaptor thing, but it's impossible to find.

Never had any problems jacking up mine. :confused:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Larrymer posted:

Never had any problems jacking up mine. :confused:

With the jack that came with the car or with a proper one? I don't want to use the jack that came with the car because it's annoying that there aren't proper official jack points in the owners manual for the back. In reality I'm going to use it for the back anyway.
I don't have the car now neither, so I can't go out and check for structure that isn't covered with plastic. I was hoping that someone had some nice tips that makes it easier, without ruining the underside of the car / the jack point flange thing.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I had to use the jack that came with the car to change a rear flat once. It was fine on the rear jack point, but only on perfectly level ground.
If I have a garage jack I usually put it under the trailer hitch and lift the whole rear end at once :shrug:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

You know what the best part about the one that came with my S60R is? The screw bushing is plastic. Shockingly they are prone to stripping out and dropping the car. Who would have anticipated that?

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 31, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

With the jack that came with the car or with a proper one? I don't want to use the jack that came with the car because it's annoying that there aren't proper official jack points in the owners manual for the back. In reality I'm going to use it for the back anyway.
I don't have the car now neither, so I can't go out and check for structure that isn't covered with plastic. I was hoping that someone had some nice tips that makes it easier, without ruining the underside of the car / the jack point flange thing.

I have only used a floor jack, but there is definitely a rear jack point on the each side.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

blk posted:

How's cost of ownership on the second gen C70? Was it offered with a manual tranmission in the states? I'm thinking of getting one to eventually throw my kid in. The Miata is also hard on a chronic back injury I have. I know the C70 is more of a cruiser, but I can deal.

Surprisingly widely available with the 6 speed manual. Read the crap out of the C70 forum on swedespeed and get a taste of the common problems and mods for them. http://forums.swedespeed.com/forumdisplay.php?97-C70-(2006-2013)

I guess they are limp noodles stock, but things like a mazdaspeed 3 rear sway bar and strut brace will tighten them up. Cost of ownership is relatively moderate until you drain the coolant and blow the motor. It would be highly advised to somehow rig up a low coolant light, it could save your engine.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Larrymer posted:

I have only used a floor jack, but there is definitely a rear jack point on the each side.

Apparently the whole side of the car can be lifted from the front jack point. Pretty handy, I guess.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

Apparently the whole side of the car can be lifted from the front jack point. Pretty handy, I guess.

This is true but there's definitely a rear jack point as well. I'd get a picture but it's in the parking lot at work while I'm driving a company vehicle. I usually use the rear point for a stand since the front brings up the rear enough usually. Stiff chassis, I guess.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Larrymer posted:

This is true but there's definitely a rear jack point as well. I'd get a picture but it's in the parking lot at work while I'm driving a company vehicle. I usually use the rear point for a stand since the front brings up the rear enough usually. Stiff chassis, I guess.

Volvo forums say that there is one for shop use, but that it's hidden under the plastic panels that cover the whole underside on the back. It's supposed to be in line with the rear jacking lift points. Could probably put it on a beam or something unofficial. Not that I'm probably ever going to do more than change the tyres on it, but it's always good to know.
Given how far forward the jacking point at the front is, I was really impressed with the rear lifting. Like you said, must be a stiff chassis.

Spent 15 hours cleaning the interior and exterior, claying and so on after a winter. loving black cars will be the death of me.

VVV: ... and I just realized that I should have been clearer with the model year. :downs:

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 4, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

Volvo forums say that there is one for shop use, but that it's hidden under the plastic panels that cover the whole underside on the back. It's supposed to be in line with the rear jacking lift points. Could probably put it on a beam or something unofficial. Not that I'm probably ever going to do more than change the tyres on it, but it's always good to know.
Given how far forward the jacking point at the front is, I was really impressed with the rear lifting. Like you said, must be a stiff chassis.

Spent 15 hours cleaning the interior and exterior, claying and so on after a winter. loving black cars will be the death of me.

So that picture made me realize I'm dumb. When you said V70II I assumed that meant a P2 chassis. :downs:

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Quick question: does a spoiler on an 850 wagon improve fuel economy? Does it help to deflect mist in wet conditions? I do a lot of highway driving, and have been wondering if it's worth it.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

rarbatrol posted:

Quick question: does a spoiler on an 850 wagon improve fuel economy? Does it help to deflect mist in wet conditions? I do a lot of highway driving, and have been wondering if it's worth it.

it makes it look cool

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

rarbatrol posted:

+53 Downforces.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

This guy needed a spoiler and didn't have one :ohdear:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

MRC48B posted:

This guy needed a spoiler and didn't have one :ohdear:

Don't be that guy. Get a spoiler.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

atomicthumbs posted:

it makes it look cool

Right but I'm trying to build up a nice pile of excuses to justify the cost to myself. I'm expecting everything, paint job in particular, to be not cheap.

rarbatrol fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 5, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

rarbatrol posted:

Right but I'm trying to build up a nice pile of excuses to justify the cost to myself. I'm expecting everything, paint job in particular, to be not cheap.

how often do you go up against the 147 mph speed limiter

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Yeah the 855 spoiler does nothing but look cool, I think it actually made the spray on the back window even worse on mine. If you're worried about paint costs just call around junkyards until you find one that matches your car already. They are super simple to install too, it's like 4 torx screws and a few minutes time.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Just make sure to buy one with the brackets. They aren't available from the dealer any more and finding a set that isn't being sold with a spoiler is nearly impossible.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

atomicthumbs posted:

how often do you go up against the 147 mph speed limiter

Terrible Robot posted:

Yeah the 855 spoiler does nothing but look cool, I think it actually made the spray on the back window even worse on mine. If you're worried about paint costs just call around junkyards until you find one that matches your car already. They are super simple to install too, it's like 4 torx screws and a few minutes time.

That's kind of what I expected to hear. It's a platinum edition so I doubt I'm going to find one in a junkyard... and I don't think any came from the factory with a spoiler? Still definitely on my to-do list, but I think it got bumped down a little bit.

zundfolge posted:

Just make sure to buy one with the brackets. They aren't available from the dealer any more and finding a set that isn't being sold with a spoiler is nearly impossible.

That's really good to know, thanks.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I got a new set of Michelin pilot supersports put on my S60R yesterday. It never ceases to amaze me what a difference swapping between my winter and summer tires makes.

The last set only lasted me two summers which made me a bit leary about buying them again, but I bought those from some guy on the swedespeed forums so I couldn't claim the treadlife warranty. This time I got them from an authorized retailer so if I only get ~23k out of them again I can make a claim.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 6, 2016

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I had a flat and worn out tires, so i just ordered a set of 235/40R-18 Sumitomo HTR A/S to replace the 245/40R-18 Conti-DWS the P/O had on.
I look forward to longer having tire rub.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The S60R rubs even with stock tire sizes. I found 5mm spacers up front are just right to eliminate rubbing on both the fender and wheel well. The 10mm I tried first were too much and rubbed on the outside.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

No more rub even at full lock. Hooray!

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Welp, remember to check your spring seats. It put a small dent in the hood and broke the clear too.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Haha drat! Be glad you kept it in the road!

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I found out from my mechanic today that the best way to check your spring seats is to turn the top nut less than 1/4 turn. If it springs back to where it was without making noise they're good. If it squeaks they're on their way out, and if it doesn't spring back all the way you want to replace them ASAP.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Quote is not edit.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Suicide Watch posted:

Welp, remember to check your spring seats. It put a small dent in the hood and broke the clear too.

Hey fyi I borrowed your photo (re-hosted) because someone on swedespeed is going through this same thing right now, but it hasn't broken loose yet. I figured I'd help him out without typing a thousand words. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I got all four struts replaced on my R today, and it handles better now at 104k miles than it did when I got it at 47k. It's amazing.