Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Night10194 posted:

I'm hoping only 1000 do it so we can get a surcouf in every pot.

What exactly do we have to do to get it? Participate in 20 battles? Only 20 battles?

Unfortunately I'm busy this weekend so I wont be able to do Fleet Battle and it sounds like I'll have to poopsock my way through all the wins on Friday since that's the only day of the event I'll have time. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Is this game still regarded as better than World of Warships?

I know it was at launch but has time allowed the shine to wear off?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
I like it a hell of a lot more than World of Warships so far.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's much less random and there's more room for a better player to influence the game, also the botes do interesting different roles.

Duo
Aug 4, 2002
Been applying to the fleet, the GOONS one which is on the first page. In game name is 'nattybro'. Hopefully Thats the right one. The interface is clunky so I can't ever tell if it's really sending a request or not. But if someone could accept me that'd be awesome, thanks!

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The bots gamemode is amazing. It's basically distilled pubbies on one side and pubbies on your side. There's so much torpedoes flying that it's like a fleet battle in Rule the Waves.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Duo posted:

Been applying to the fleet, the GOONS one which is on the first page. In game name is 'nattybro'. Hopefully Thats the right one. The interface is clunky so I can't ever tell if it's really sending a request or not. But if someone could accept me that'd be awesome, thanks!

I wondered why I kept seeing you+100 people apply.

Now I just wonder why the other +100 people apply and you didn't post your name in the thread earlier so I could stop rejecting you every few weeks.

At least I'm not Authing for Eve, I guess.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Mazz posted:

Is anyone down for 5v5s tonight? It's something we have to be kinda tryhard about because losing is actively bad for your gold chances, so I need to request you at least have a decent tier 7, preferably a Scharnhorst or a 6 DD you can play well.

Not to be a dick, but I'm in the top 100 right now so I'd rather not play then try to hamfist a poo poo lineup in.

We have tonight and Sunday afternoon/evening to try and get some points.

EDIT: Holy poo poo Beattie at legendary is nuts.

A message to all:

If you're a goon who is half-decent and has very little 5v5 points, try finding one other goon in a similar position and then recruiting random idiots from the allchat (make sure they have no points either)
You'll be playing a bunch of pub teams that don't know poo poo, 5v5 matchmaker looks at the average 5v5 points in your team and takes that into account. Make sure everybody has proper ship, of course, no pennsylvanias allowed

Mazz I think you and I combine for too many points and we'll have to play the mini-stacks. We could always try a few games I guess.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 1, 2016

Duo
Aug 4, 2002

Groggy nard posted:

I wondered why I kept seeing you+100 people apply.

Now I just wonder why the other +100 people apply and you didn't post your name in the thread earlier so I could stop rejecting you every few weeks.

At least I'm not Authing for Eve, I guess.

I did post actually but it probably just got lost in a sea of replies :p

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
So much for 5v5s, I forgot and fell asleep. At least I can't fall out of the 200 crew, and I think I needed 4 straight 30+ wins so yeah.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
It occurred to me you could put Arleigh Burke, Halsey, and Yamamoto on your crew for a 'gotta go fast' build that gives a bunch of bonuses if you can pull 31 knots.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Whelp, rank reset and quarterly rewards are in :toot: . Didn't get a chance to play last night so I didn't get any last minute rank rewards for 5v5 . Be prepared for premium smoke spam.

Finally got my Baltimore. It's very much like the New Orleans, but it has better secondaries and the upgraded tier 10 radar gives it 5409 base scouting range. With Arashi and Luckner that will get pushed up to 6059 which is not too shabby for a heavy cruiser.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero
I took a break but I'm gonna hop on this weekend to check out the patch :) How is tier 7+ MM in general now? Got a bit tired of 3v3 shitfests when I tried to play my Kagero.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

El_Molestadore posted:

I took a break but I'm gonna hop on this weekend to check out the patch :) How is tier 7+ MM in general now? Got a bit tired of 3v3 shitfests when I tried to play my Kagero.

Tier 7 is a bit more populated, but Tier 8 is still 3v3s a lot. Just let me know if I'm on and you want to squad up, it helps and I enjoy playing my Baltimore.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

El_Molestadore posted:

Tier 7 is getting more active. Last Wednesday I was in a 10v10 match! Though there were a few tier 8s in there too.

Now that they have bot matches for tier 3, I think they should just have an option to play tier 8+ matches padded out with bots.

Have it so the bots don't count toward kill or battle power rankings, that way tryhards don't farm bots. This way you'll consistently get 10v10 matches and there is a point to using tier 10s.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Agincourt is on sale for 14k gold.

It has 14 main cannons and 13 secondaries a side. It also has armor so bad a CA can pen the belt. :getin:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
It's just as well the gold is win or lose, I skipped the Intrepid and have 5 defeats to 1 win in the Neptune. The light poo poo (that isn't AKF) rushes in, gets killed and it's over. It's almost like they're in a hurry to complete a bunch of games...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Scenario Mode is a glorious clusterfuck.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Yes. Yes it is. But I feel it is newbie friendly because 1.) You can't pick your ship, only class and 2.) You can't use your crew.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
:lol: I just pulled an Akizuki game against the DIIN tryhards, it was 3 of us in 8s vs the 3 of them in 7s. Their DD was using gold smoke and I called him out for it just to be a dick, and they got v. angry. Anyways, we win by a lot, the game ends and I get that 15 battle merit booster. 3rd guy is Andrew Cunningham.

Today has been a good day.

EDIT: Next game some pub accuses me of shooting gold because I outshot his Pennsylvania in a NorthHamption. Jesus.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 1, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Why would they get mad about gold smoke? Everybody's rollin in gold smoke because of rank bonuses. I have 80 stockpiled up, and that's probably nothing compared to those DIIN and Dark Judge poopsockers.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Scenario Mode is a glorious clusterfuck.

Torpedoes, death stacks of USN planes, half the team looking for a decisive battle with ghosts...

It truly is the genuine IJN experience.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Panfilo posted:

Why would they get mad about gold smoke? Everybody's rollin in gold smoke because of rank bonuses. I have 80 stockpiled up, and that's probably nothing compared to those DIIN and Dark Judge poopsockers.

Nah I was calling them out for it just cause its fun to see the responses. Basically just go with "this game isn't that hard to need gold smoke in pubs." It seems like everyone uses it in high tier now though, which is pretty loving depressing. Like tier 8 needed more things to slow the game down.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 1, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Danann posted:

Torpedoes, death stacks of USN planes, half the team looking for a decisive battle with ghosts...

It truly is the genuine IJN experience.
Scenario Mode Bingo

Rammed by friendly | 12 bajillion shells coming out of smoke |Shot in the back |
Bomber Conga lines | FREE SPACE (torped by friendly) | Shelling own airfield |
3 Ramming kills | WTF are we supposed to do in this? | Lol I'm an Oyodo |

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Benson is obviously OP in Scenario. Especially when Atake Pirate don't actually shoot back.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

It is annoying to ask pubbies to click on bote while they're trying to click on dirt though.

They'll even miss the dirt (and the torpedoes sailing right at them).

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Danann posted:

It is annoying to ask pubbies to click on bote while they're trying to click on dirt though.

They'll even miss the dirt (and the torpedoes sailing right at them).

Guess you missed the pubbies that were trying to torp/torpedo bomb the beach head to death!

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
The Orion is really good. It does Kongo amounts of damage but fires a lot faster. I think it might be better than the Wyoming for fleet battles.

I'm not there yet but I'm not sure about the Revenge. I don't see how it beats the other tier 5 battleships. Doesn't look terrible though. At least the Queen Elizabeth looks pretty good.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Still have room in the fleet/guild? Applied in as Captain Beans.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I also have applied, as Roumba. Game is rad so far.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

James Garfield posted:

The Orion is really good. It does Kongo amounts of damage but fires a lot faster. I think it might be better than the Wyoming for fleet battles.

I'm not there yet but I'm not sure about the Revenge. I don't see how it beats the other tier 5 battleships. Doesn't look terrible though. At least the Queen Elizabeth looks pretty good.

Take a look at QE's unupgraded guns. 5.1km, low damage, Japanese fire rate. They improve massively when upgraded, but those stock guns are gonna be painful.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Willys Lee looks really promising as a cruiser commander. Deadshot is sorta like the Cruiser equivalent of Naval Teuton and stacks nicely with MacMillan. I was looking over the various commander skills this morning.

Reducing influence of turret rotation seems better than reducing influence of steering; seems easy enough to stop turning for a few seconds most of the time but suddenly seeing an enemy ship pop up in eagle eye mode means you can zero in faster.

Penetration seems really good for US CAs. I keep getting matched vs Battleships at tier 8 buy the Baltimore is probably the most poorly suited for damaging them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The thing with US cruisers is you have fast, accurate rounds and can try to place them into open deck or smokestacks more easily. It's easier to pierce with my Hipper but my New Orleans can definitely gently caress up BBs, as did my Northampton before it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Night10194 posted:

The thing with US cruisers is you have fast, accurate rounds and can try to place them into open deck or smokestacks more easily. It's easier to pierce with my Hipper but my New Orleans can definitely gently caress up BBs, as did my Northampton before it.

Well yeah. I can always pop Quickload and sandblast them down with weight of fire. It's just frustrating that only 1 out of 9 are getting through.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Panfilo posted:

Well yeah. I can always pop Quickload and sandblast them down with weight of fire. It's just frustrating that only 1 out of 9 are getting through.

You can improve that with a bit of luck and careful aim - try to hit the BB right at the bow or stern, where there's open deck with no armored turrets.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's especially easy to do against Germans. Lots of open deck real-estate on their fat piece of poo poo botes like the Tirpitz and Bismarck.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Night10194 posted:

It's especially easy to do against Germans. Lots of open deck real-estate on their fat piece of poo poo botes like the Tirpitz and Bismarck.

Yeah. Japan isn't hard either. Americans are the toughest, because they're fast and relatively small targets.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

With Japan it's partly that Japanese botes have a lot of softspots in general. I can actually get better than 50% pens on an Ise with the 13 6 inch secondaries on my Agincourt, to say nothing of what the main guns do to them.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Everyone who posted their IGN here should be accepted now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

We only need one more person to do early fleet battles, so get your botes out!

• Locked thread