Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Symphogear
This poll is closed.
Chris 41 39.42%
Hibiki 26 25.00%
Tsubasa 5 4.81%
Shirabe 5 4.81%
Kirika 3 2.88%
Maria 9 8.65%
Genjuro 15 14.42%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Huh, cute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Funky Dude?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3QUArVu4Pw&t=2575s

Funky Dude.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Julias posted:

I put way too much time into this, and I regret doing it, but here you go.

I decided to check out that vid. Basically a summary through his words, though paraphrased.

Titled: What's in an OP? - Sword Art Online is Worse Than You Think
Tumbnail is Leafa's rear end.
Description: A way too mean analysis of Anime openings. This week: why the SAO openings are rear end.

Video begins by criticizing reddit's OP voting tournament (Think Gamefaqs best game tournaments), especially SAO.

Specifies that the music, animation, and synching of animation with music for OPs is nice, but that it's the bare "bones" of an OP, and that there is no "meat", to it past that.

"Crossing Field, the least worst one" : Stating image of hill that is matrix code that dissolves to title is pretty cool. This bit was kinda "subdued", but then t just goes matrixes in the backgrounds everywhere without them being anything.
Intro shot shows Main character Kirito, we know it's him since he's first, and we know he is the loner type. (also he uses swords).
Asuna then struts forward, brightly lit, standing tall versus sitting on the ground, and in motion, all contrasting Kirito. Tells that she's more confidet/ charismatic than Kirito. (also she uses swords).
Scene with asuna at mirror, reflecting real and virtual world, and how they blur together. Points out that this was basically the shows only real theme, but it dissapears as the show would continue past the original story...
Different hands stretching out. He likes these shots. First depicts wonder in being in a virtual world, then the terror of being trapped in the MMO.
We reach the "action shot" where things fall apart.
Well animated/ choreographed sword fight between Kirito and mooks which ultimately, means nothing.
Kirito fighting the boss with Asuna together suggests that fighting together makes you stronger. Too bad the actual show doesn't play out like this!
3 shots of 3 supporting female cast members. Nothing about their personality is glean-able from these images.
Yui the generic AI fetal position in a void of data. boring
Kirito looking at rotating background because we need to fill those five seconds in the OP, George!
Male supporting cast shows up with same problems as females earlier, and this time it doesn't even bother to give them proper backgrounds.
Kirito and Asuna Cross Diagonal Slash a monster, it dies. Generic.
Shots of these two living their domestic life in the game. Actually pretty nice. Reflect on theme of VR being fully real, also breaks up monotony of the fighting.
Final shot of their swords crossed in front of the lake at sunset, that they made their homefront, is really nice, too. Reflects status as equal partners, as well as longing to find happiness and tranquility.

"Second OP, Innocnece": Starts strong, if not super generic with birds flying through the sky and characters looking up at them.
Real world shot falling away to reveal Elfheim is a good reflection of the "virtual is real" theme.
Asuna trapped in coma, Kirito comes to visit every day, evidenced by repitition of him at the crosswalk, but he's determined to moved forward to save her.
Sister character does Kendo. Is distracted by something Based on show, you know it's supposed to be Kirito, but based on how the next few shots are cut, it looks like she's into "BadGuy McRapeSuit". Incompetent editing.
We see "I forget his name" looking into a mirror to see his MMO characcter, which means.... he plays that character in an online game? "This is really dumb and bad"
Asuna stands in Lake looking like sexy damsel with no personality. She's gonna stay like that.
Same birds from beginning fly over her, meaning she's still connected to "husbando" and "imouto" in this world.
THE BIRDS CAN FLY AND THEY CAN FLY. That means FREEDOM and also real world and virtual world are connected. HOW DEEP.
And with - ugh- a pantyshot transition (The picture that was the thumbnail for the vid)...
We go into more generic fighting. Which lasts like 2 seconds.
Because they need to remind us that random charachtes with no personality being displayed exist.
Also Yui still exists.To remind us that death doesn't mean anything anymore
And GOLLY, isn't flying COOL and EXCITING! Would be if we could see the landscapes they cans see, instead of closeups of the characters with sky in the background.
..Or Asuna quietly giving up on ever being a cool character again.
Then shots of Kirito, Leafa, and Yui dong cute things. Neat, but doesn't mesh well with plot of "Racing to find and rescue a kidnapping victim"
Back to Kirito at Crosswalk, but he doesn't have to go it alone, now that sister is here.
My heart is soaring like these not at all generic white birds.

SAO has started to fall into a rut here, but at least they try to keep a consistent motif with the shots.

"Ignte" is BAD. It's REAL BAD.
In 20 seconds establishes what MCs of the arc look like in the most matter of fact, boring way possible (Also they use guns)
Kirito talks with girlfriend at a cafe in the real world. At the same time, his avatars are walking among the crowd.
This either symbolizes reminiscence of their time in the MMO death traps...for some reason?! OR Kirito is constantly distracted by the pull of adventure.
"I honestly cannot tell you which, because the writing in this series is not very consistent..."
And Shinon in limbo on a swing, between her past self and her Avatar, which she uses as a coping mechanism. Alright shot. Swing is symbol of loneliness and arrested development.
Next we see Shinon's friend reachin out hand, and scene burns out to reveal DEATH GUN
OH WOW OH GOSH, I wonder who Death Gun could possibly be?!?!?
I usually praise foreshadowing, but there is a world of difference between subtle hints (Showing pictures from Sayounara Zetsubou-Sensei) from framing, to A Clean cutaway that basically spells out the twist that is the linchpin for the whole plot of the season.
Image of kirito with three shadows of Death Gun around him.
"This isn't symbolism. It's a loving Diagram." It takes 2 seconds to realize that Death Gun is actually 3 people pretending to e one person with roots in Laughing Coffin
Then we see death gun plays people (like Shinon) like puppets. Is also dragging her deeper into her misery.
Reaction shot of all the girls tells that they are watching intently at these events.
Generic Swordfighting Scene...with bullets!!!
With terribly composited CG backdrop that characters just sorta float around on.
Shinon sniper shot. meh.
Silhouettes fighting. Usually a plus, as lack of detail means that animation can be smoother, but still stylish. Here, it moves at like 4 frames per second. Also boring choreography.
Generic shootouts.'Instead of relaxing, slice of life moments like in the previous OPS, we get Shinon and Kirito dramatically approaching each other from opposite directions, as if the arc is building up to their confrontation as warriors (But it really isn't).
But it looks cool and is 10 seconds of filler.

And "Courage" is even worse.
Open on CGI Swords.
Random individual shots of characters standing places. Or of those places. Or computer imagery. Also generic fighting.
Absolute bottom of the Barrel OP. Instead of original footage, they use clips form the show and inserted concept art. Feels like filler.
...Which it is
Once we get to Mother's Rosario version of this OP, it gets better.
Better for two reasons:
1. Reframes itself around the growth of character of the arc Yuuki.
2. A few good moments of meaningful action.
Characters are still archetypes and put in generic situations, but this isn't bad since they are side characters for this one arc, one and done. Mostly relevant for what they mean to Yuuki.

Shot at beginning of two twins stumbling and then picking themselves up before running, eventually becoming one person is meaningful and emotional.
Shot with light going towards dungeon appears to be Yuuki's sister's soul guiding her to the dungeon, making it an obvious focal point with significance to her.
Props to Badass choppy rotoscoped shots of Yuuki fighting shadows. Evolves to have Asuna fighting these shadows alongside her.
Yuuki shot with monolith is really likeable and puts things in perspective.
Some more boring fighting.
At the end, we go back to shots of characters going back to their everyday lives.

Takeaway: Good music and good animation does not make a good intro. It means good direction on top of that.

tl;dr

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Knorth posted:

I hope FFXV turns out to be very good, or at least entertaining, and that someone I actually like does an LP of it

Look forward to my camcorder series where I talk about which party members should kiss for 50 hours

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Erg posted:

Look forward to my camcorder series where I talk about which party members should kiss for 50 hours

Imagine I copy pasted that post from the FF XV thread complaining about everyone making it gay instead of just bros on a camping trip, the least gay thing ever

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:sweatdrop:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Omg

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

why

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Imagine I copy pasted that post from the FF XV thread complaining about everyone making it gay instead of just bros on a camping trip, the least gay thing ever

lol

Is the XV thread already that terrible? It's only been a day

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Erg posted:

Would definitely prefer that to 720p60fps sick owns on this game I don't like

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I saw that

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

this lovely not-gay Souls clone

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

4k 60fps bros loving each other in a tent

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

or is there a higher framerate they can render the gay camping trip in

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PSVR version

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Well, I'll need another open world fujo epic once I beat MGS V I guess

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Due to oddities with the game's physics, bros gently caress most optimally at 125 FPS

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

dogsicle posted:

4k 60fps bros loving each other in a tent

Please don't spoil the end of my screenplay, tia

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Knorth posted:

Would definitely prefer that to 720p60fps sick owns on this game I don't like

I think it's fine to rag on something you like deep down, but playing something you seem to genuinely hate for YouTube views or whatever is dumb

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I can't believe I forgot to check out the Moyashimon live action show! Going to have to remedy this!

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

*points webcam away from Erg's posts*

Well gently caress, now what am I going to do with my day?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Erg posted:

I think it's fine to rag on something you like deep down, but playing something you seem to genuinely hate for YouTube views or whatever is dumb

:agreed:

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I hope everyone in FFXV is super-gay, including the cute mechanic girl

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

a failed april fools joke lead to me getting a finger in the eye. great start of the day

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Davincie posted:

a failed april fools joke lead to me getting a finger in the eye. great start of the day

gently caress that sucks.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Morning chat thread. My Miitomo is coming along nicely.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Lifehack: avoid april fool's jokes by never interacting with other human beings.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Erg posted:

ah, you also watched the FFXIII LP

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

heehee I like this gif cut

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Davincie posted:

Dang

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bosses in Azure seem to be weirdly MMO-y? Instead of telegraphing attacks you get huge glowing 'don't stand here seriously' stuff on the floor. It's different I guess.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

HellishWhiskers posted:

I too regret my gay choices :smith:
I wish I had made more.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

DisDisDis posted:

One marvelous anime babe and a couple good ones

Hey, it's Batrider! I love Batrider!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f-5kmdPmLk

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So who here has Miitomo and wants to pad their friend count. Add @SenerioSA to twitter and post your own twitter and we can follow each other. You can even unfollow me once we're miitomo friends!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Senerio posted:

So who here has Miitomo and wants to pad their friend count. Add @SenerioSA to twitter and post your own twitter and we can follow each other. You can even unfollow me once we're miitomo friends!

:( My phone can run miitomo for about 15 seconds before crashing. No nintendo phone friends for me

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Knorth posted:

:( My phone can run miitomo for about 15 seconds before crashing. No nintendo phone friends for me

:( That sucks. I've been addicted. Style level 5.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

It's great! I mean, I can maybe get to stage 2 on one credit but every part of it is so drat stylish. I'm a bit better in Garegga, I've beaten Madball on one credit once. Raizing's shmups really deserve to be better known, such amazing aesthetics and attention to detail (and sound design). Those overpasses in Batrider are unforgivable though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

:smith:

• Locked thread