Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sickening posted:

He was outed as a troll pages ago. Don't get it started again.

Yeah salary on 32 hours a week, I think turtle may be 17 and has no actual work experience beyond slinging burgers. It was kinda funny though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can read about it in my book "Counter Terrorist Wins: An Admin's Tale" seriously I work a 15/HR hell desk position in a company with no real oversight for the techs. I thought it would be a good April fools reveal that'd entertain the thread. I need more schooling and experience to even fake it though.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Turtlicious posted:

You can read about it in my book "Counter Terrorist Wins: An Admin's Tale" seriously I work a 15/HR hell desk position in a company with no real oversight for the techs. I thought it would be a good April fools reveal that'd entertain the thread. I need more schooling and experience to even fake it though.

Did you at least need resume help for reals or did I spend time helping you improve an intentionally bad resume.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Did you at least need resume help for reals or did I spend time helping you improve an intentionally bad resume.

The bomb has been defused.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I seriously need resume / job help. That's not a joke.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait, was my resume really that bad?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
If we're just going to continue along these lines, I'm going to communicate via television. Here we are, establishing a wager.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcHaZMHKuUI

(I'm Brian.)

vvvvvvv

01010100 01101000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01100001 00100000 01100110 01101001 01101110 01100101 00100000 01101001 01100100 01100101 01100001 00101110

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 1, 2016

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
V zrna, V thrff, vs gung'f ubj lbh ernyyl jnag gb cynl vg...

EBG 13

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Wait, was my resume really that bad?

Yes

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010
"MPLS is down"
Ah... *looks at watch* APRIL FOOLS! Hey, thats great, you got me.
"Seriously though, we can't reach Vegas or Bellevue"
....oh. Oh poo poo.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

seriously I work a 15/HR hell desk position in a company with no real oversight for the techs.

I thought the april fools stuff was over

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sirotan's guide to getting a raise:

1. Performance review on a Thursday where I demand a raise
2. Friday start to come down with something. gets a lot worse over the weekend, end up calling in sick for all of the next week, the longest stretch ever since I started this job
3. Come back to work, be told by boss and multiple users they are glad I am back because poo poo doesn't get done when I'm gone
5. Immediately go on long-scheduled 7 day vacation
6. Receive text from boss while flying back home the next week that my raise came in, $7500 :cheers:

I guess I need to take more vacations.

(j/k, when I do it means I spend an entire day or three unfucking everything my boss and incompetent coworker touched while I was away)

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Congrats, that's quite a bunch of cash!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

evobatman posted:

Congrats, that's quite a bunch of cash!

Golden handcuffs, man. And good luck on your job search, sorry it took so long to respond to your PM.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

2. Friday start to come down with something. gets a lot worse over the weekend, end up calling in sick for all of the next week, the longest stretch ever since I started this job
3. Come back to work, be told by boss and multiple users they are glad I am back because poo poo doesn't get done when I'm gone
6. Receive text from boss while flying back home the next week that my raise came in, $7500 :cheers:

(j/k, when I do it means I spend an entire day or three unfucking everything my boss and incompetent coworker touched while I was away)

I Wish I could follow your example.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010
Odd question, have an old DC with ADFS in a new company/position, and they're looking to decommission that DC - is that possible while leaving ADFS in place?

From what i'm finding, its looking like that answer is no and i'll have to migrate ADFS, something i'm very new to.

EDIT: Why the hell did I phrase it like that...

GoatShaver fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 1, 2016

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

seconding the ask for a raise, go on vacation tactic. Nj man :hfive:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Can anyone recommend a beginners MySQL, PostGres, Oracel, etc Udemy course? Doesnt have to be specific to a vendor but this is a real blank spot for me knowledge wise and I wouldnt mind be able to learn enough to do some very simple db work.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Kashuno posted:

seconding the ask for a raise, go on vacation tactic. Nj man :hfive:

:hfive:

I am still about to gear up my job search, I'm $5k-8k under median for the area, we are about to borg another company that has no IT department and I know they aren't hiring anyone else for us. We'll end up with close to 30 sites across the entire state with 2.5 IT staff to deal with it all. And one of the 2.5 is someone who I do not trust to send on site visits alone.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Can anyone recommend a beginners MySQL, PostGres, Oracel, etc Udemy course? Doesnt have to be specific to a vendor but this is a real blank spot for me knowledge wise and I wouldnt mind be able to learn enough to do some very simple db work.
Is Oracel like Active Domain?

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
I finally left my cushy but boring huge corporate pharma IT gig after 5 years to work at a much smaller company for much better pay as a sysadmin at the beginning of the year. My position is basically a jr admin, there are 2 helpdesk/deskside guys and 1 other more senior admin.

Well 1 month into the job, the other admin causes a major outage, he and our manager are fired, and now I'm suddenly the only admin. Anyone ever find themselves in this situation? I'm learning a lot but god drat if I'm not breaking all kinds of poo poo along the way.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Aunt Beth posted:

I believe its more like Oragel.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ZetsurinPower posted:

I finally left my cushy but boring huge corporate pharma IT gig after 5 years to work at a much smaller company for much better pay as a sysadmin at the beginning of the year. My position is basically a jr admin, there are 2 helpdesk/deskside guys and 1 other more senior admin.

Well 1 month into the job, the other admin causes a major outage, he and our manager are fired, and now I'm suddenly the only admin. Anyone ever find themselves in this situation? I'm learning a lot but god drat if I'm not breaking all kinds of poo poo along the way.

Well, firing your only sr admin for an outage is usually a bad sign.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Aunt Beth posted:

Oracel is Sun's new spreadsheet app.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

ZetsurinPower posted:

:aaa: One outage and two senior employees are canned? I'm guessing they had a track record of this kind of poo poo. Best not to learn from their practices anyway.

Since they gutted both of them I'm sure they'll hire a new senior admin above you. If they don't make sure you get a pay raise because that's a shitton of work to absorb.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

:aaa: One outage and two senior employees are canned? I'm guessing they had a track record of this kind of poo poo. Best not to learn from their practices anyway.

Since they gutted both of them I'm sure they'll hire a new senior admin above you. If they don't make sure you get a pay raise because that's a shitton of work to absorb.

Yeah apparently the guy was on probation for "cowboy IT" poo poo, and the manager had only been there for a few months but wash clashing with a lot of people. Regardless, I'm a bit gun-shy of doing anything major seeing how they reacted to an outage. New admin will be hired shortly, but in the mean time I'm kind of enjoying the increased responsibility - I'm getting my hands on stuff I never would have had access to in the past. Long term however, I would expect higher comp for the expanded scope of my role (which I've made HR and my new mgr aware of). Longest tenured guy on the team is our helpdesk tech and he's been here 8 months... I told management they can't fix our IT environment by firing people. I hope they take it to heart.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Sickening posted:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So I've never really done anything with Exchange, but I'm gonna take over administration of Exchange, what do I read beforehands?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

SEKCobra posted:

So I've never really done anything with Exchange, but I'm gonna take over administration of Exchange, what do I read beforehands?

What version of Exchange will you be managing? Whats the environment like, single server one site or multiple servers and sites? Powershell as awesome as it is for everything else Windows is even more useful and powerful with Exchange I feel like. So I'd start by looking for commands and scripts in Powershell for things you will be doing often in Exchange.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Definitely learn powershell. Unless you are inheriting a creaky old exchange 2003 box on its last legs, like I did. Then your goal is to migrate everyone to a newer exchange server and then learn powershell.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

BaseballPCHiker posted:

What version of Exchange will you be managing? Whats the environment like, single server one site or multiple servers and sites? Powershell as awesome as it is for everything else Windows is even more useful and powerful with Exchange I feel like. So I'd start by looking for commands and scripts in Powershell for things you will be doing often in Exchange.

No clue, it's a 2008 environment and I think just one server.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Sickening posted:

Firing someone because a RAID collapsed during rebuild because of other drive failures is dumb but it says that the outage was due to the Sr Admin and lets be honest we both know a bunch of idiots who'd do dumb poo poo on production systems during the day and wreck everything if there wasn't an adult in the room.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

SEKCobra posted:

Hope to Christ the person(s) responsible for initially setting it up weren't idiots because that is the problem with like 99% of Exchange implementations.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010

ZetsurinPower posted:

Yikes man, hold onto your rear end with both hands.

On the plus side, you're the new guy - clean slate, don't have to live with the sins the other two did. I'm sure this wasn't the only issue that led to the dismissal.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

MrMojok posted:

Definitely learn powershell. Unless you are inheriting a creaky old exchange 2003 box on its last legs, like I did. Then your goal is to migrate everyone to a newer exchange server and then learn powershell.

Dunno what there really is to learn in powershell? I've used it before and it's pretty straightforward.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
It was a confluence of bad decisions that pre-dated any of us, and bad decisions like updating the firmware of the chassis that hosts most of our VMs 2 hours before start of business...and it failed

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
so google's April Fools joke for this year was to add "google mic drop" to gmail. Basically, it adds a loving gif of a minion dropping a mic, and you are removed from the email thread completely. Even if people respond to your email, you will not get the reply.

they replaced the "send+archive" button with that. Needless to say, it has had very very bad results, and it has been taken down.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

SEKCobra posted:

Dunno what there really is to learn in powershell? I've used it before and it's pretty straightforward.

There are just a lot of specific commandlets to Exchange. If you are already comfortable with powershell it'll just be a matter of learning those. That and hoping that your predecessor didn't do a bunch of dumb poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Kashuno posted:

so google's April Fools joke for this year was to add "google mic drop" to gmail. Basically, it adds a loving gif of a minion dropping a mic, and you are removed from the email thread completely. Even if people respond to your email, you will not get the reply.

they replaced the "send+archive" button with that. Needless to say, it has had very very bad results, and it has been taken down.

https://twitter.com/waxpancake/status/715752594551869440?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

lol