Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

cash crab posted:

This is an incredibly wholesome Idiot

He played too many videogames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Decrepus posted:

He played too many videogames.

Or maybe he read classic 50s-60s Italian Mickey Mouse stories. Because they had that.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Kids are wonderfully literal. As a child I remember thinking that if you smoked too much you had to have your legs cut off to let the smoke out.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Of all the ways imgur could've misinterpreted "Black Market", that one turned out pretty well.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah I was definitely expecting something much worse.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They argue that women currently make as much as men and that the statistics just reflect men pursuing higher paying jobs while women prefer lighter work jobs. When it's the same job they'll argue that the differential comes entirely from maternity leave and hey they chose to have a baby right?

I've seen all these arguments in the wild. What they fail address is the fact that 'work' has been designed by men, for men, so of course they're more likely to succeed. If work had been designed by women, childcare would be built into it and wouldn't affect pay, for example. That's aside from the seperarate issue that women are expected to be carers.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
There are actual black markets you can visit to buy drugs and guns.

E: whoops missed the supermarket part, although to be fair you can buy guns and drugs at most Walmarts.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

cash crab posted:

This is an incredibly wholesome Idiot

Reminds me of the one where someone thought Gunpoint was a really loving dangerous place.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

EvilGenius posted:

I've seen all these arguments in the wild. What they fail address is the fact that 'work' has been designed by men, for men, so of course they're more likely to succeed.

We're full circle into :biotruths: being an actual argument again.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
No, not at all.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Go through the comments on this one, :godwin: appears as expected: http://imgur.com/gallery/Q0VupHa

Why yes, the rational answer to an extreme is the opposite extreme.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I didn't stumble in the Godwin, but have already seen too many variations of

quote:

For too long SJW have intimidated far too many with their ignorant thuggery. Great to see people punching back.

Japanese are the real racists

quote:

Being racist is actually appropriating Japanese culture.

Sarcastic woe-is-me :

quote:

No, because you're white. White people are always wrong.

And the winner

quote:

As a white, male, Protestant, should I be mad that social progress and equality is essentially people appropriating my culture?

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Eponine posted:

No, not at all.

:biotruths:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fathis Munk posted:

Japanese are the real racists

Well I mean, they kind of are

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
What is this robocop poo poo I keep seeing?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

What is this robocop poo poo I keep seeing?

New filter for s j ws

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Quote this post for a good time.

neoliberal

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

If anything, the argument is the exact opposite since the claim is that the system is built unfair rather than any innate differences

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Aesop Poprock posted:

New filter for s j ws

oh ok for a moment i thought I missed out on some hot new internet term.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Fathis Munk posted:

And the winner

:cripes: Ohhh, my God.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Geniasis posted:

If anything, the argument is the exact opposite since the claim is that the system is built unfair rather than any innate differences

:biotruths:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Fathis Munk posted:

I didn't stumble in the Godwin

quote:

Anytime I see someone wear Hugo Boss from now on, I'll berate them for appropriating Nazi culture!
Haha, funny imgur joke.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Halfway through this fuckoff huge album with silly dog pictures:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
gently caress, owned.com just pwned me with that highly edgy humor :ohdear:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Perhaps Owned.com could interest you in other Crazy Pictures & Videos that may also blow you away. Like, imagine a very succinct joke about the wage gap, or black people, condensed into four frames as to sufficiently rock your world in the shortest time imaginable. They also offer a wide variety of picture archiving services, so that everything is blurry, much like the line between what is right and wrong.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Eh, websites automatically artifacting your images for you is just a standard feature by now. I don't even bother anymore if I have to do it myself by taking a picture of my screen and printing out the picture and then scanning it back in and saving as a .gif.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Desk Lamp posted:

There are actual black markets you can visit to buy drugs and guns.

E: whoops missed the supermarket part, although to be fair you can buy guns and drugs at most Walmarts.

Well I guess we know your one stop shop for illegal materials.

Hope Lowtax doesn't get another call from the feds. :ohdear:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

Go through the comments on this one, :godwin: appears as expected: http://imgur.com/gallery/Q0VupHa

Why yes, the rational answer to an extreme is the opposite extreme.

I ctrl+F'd "Hitler" to skip through the comments, lol.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

blarzgh posted:

I ctrl+F'd "Hitler" to skip through the comments, lol.

Idiots on Imgur: I ctrl+F'd "Hitler" to skip through the comments, lol.

I know "new thread title please" is the replacement for "lol loss.jpg edits are getting weird" as the dumbest joke on SA right now, but I unironically mean it here.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

Antlions posted:

Quote this post for a good time.

neoliberal

I'm guessing this happened because of D&D and it's pretty funny, but it happens because whereas liberalism on the world stage refers to a person belief in being allowed to do whatever they want in terms of economics and otherwise, liberalism in the U.S. is primarily used to differentiate people who favor a liberal (as opposed to a conservative) view of our Constitution. I have many friends from other countries who hate being called a liberal even though they are very leftist.

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I am kinda curious about seeing some of these people define radical feminism, compared to normal feminism. Women making as much as men isn't really insanely out there.

Academically, radical feminism is designated as feminist belief in a need for systemic change, centered around the concept of the patriarchy. Liberal feminism is a belief that if we just change the laws, equality will naturally follow. Marxist feminists are looking for a class revolution and are usually radical feminists, but not the other way around (plenty of radical feminists don't do work around economic change so they may be Marxist in ideology but their work may not be Marxist). I am a radical feminist academic working on gender, race and mental health disparities and differentials in diagnosis (a.k.a. why do black people get diagnosed with schizophrenia instead of major depressive disorder when they present with the same symptoms as whites? Why do women more often get diagnosed with borderline personality disorder instead of narcissistic personality disorder when presenting with the same symptoms as men?) I could never present my work or the work of my colleagues to imgur without a huge misunderstanding because there's a common parlance that radical means extremist and extremism is always bad (and extremism in America is anything left of center). It's really upsetting.

TheRecogScene has a new favorite as of 03:12 on Apr 2, 2016

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

I'm guessing this happened because of D&D and it's pretty funny, but it happens because whereas liberalism on the world stage refers to a person belief in being allowed to do whatever they want in terms of economics and otherwise, liberalism in the U.S. is primarily used to differentiate people who favor a liberal (as opposed to a conservative) view of our Constitution. I have many friends from other countries who hate being called a liberal even though they are very leftist.

Academically, radical feminism is designated as feminist belief in a need for systemic change, centered around the concept of the patriarchy. Liberal feminism is a belief that if we just change the laws, equality will naturally follow. Marxist feminists are looking for a class revolution and are usually radical feminists, but not the other way around (plenty of radical feminists don't do work around economic change so they may be Marxist in ideology but their work may not be Marxist). I am a radical feminist academic working on gender, race and mental health disparities and differentials in diagnosis (a.k.a. why do black people get diagnosed with schizophrenia instead of major depressive disorder when they present with the same symptoms as whites? Why do women more often get diagnosed with borderline personality disorder instead of narcissistic personality disorder when presenting with the same symptoms as men?) I could never present my work or the work of my colleagues to imgur without a huge misunderstanding because there's a common parlance that radical means extremist and extremism is always bad (and extremism in America is anything left of center). It's really upsetting.

Oh. I know a fair bit about feminism. Just that he seems to throw that in under his made up idea of radical feminism. He claims that "normal feminism" is fine, but also seems to view the idea of equality somehow offensive or inherently radical. Thus, I am curious about how he defines each, and am betting he would try to weasel about if questioned.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Plan Z posted:

I know "new thread title please" is the replacement for "lol loss.jpg edits are getting weird" as the dumbest joke on SA right now, but I unironically mean it here.

I agree, it's actually incredibly apt.

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Oh. I know a fair bit about feminism. Just that he seems to throw that in under his made up idea of radical feminism. He claims that "normal feminism" is fine, but also seems to view the idea of equality somehow offensive or inherently radical. Thus, I am curious about how he defines each, and am betting he would try to weasel about if questioned.

If there is one thing I have learned from Imgur, it's that people there define "radical feminism" as "feminists who are not nice to me/carry on conversations I don't get". I'm serious on several levels here. It's very dominant on Imgur, for whatever reason, to maintain the opinion that feminism is a system that should involve cooperation with no deference whatsoever to power dynamics. They carry on this weird standard to every other kind of imaginable permutation of respectability politics, hence why so many of their users are super sandy about BLM. It's so loving weird.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

cash crab posted:

If there is one thing I have learned from Imgur, it's that people there define "radical feminism" as "feminists who are not nice to me/carry on conversations I don't get". I'm serious on several levels here. It's very dominant on Imgur, for whatever reason, to maintain the opinion that feminism is a system that should involve cooperation with no deference whatsoever to power dynamics. They carry on this weird standard to every other kind of imaginable permutation of respectability politics, hence why so many of their users are super sandy about BLM. It's so loving weird.

Look I'm all for equality until it inconveniences me

*posts about running over black people for daring to block traffic*

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

i am deeply sorry

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Monicro posted:

i am deeply sorry

Someone already posted it loser

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Man, look at this poo poo.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

EDIT- a little birdie has told me that I did not notice a key change. I would like to sincerely apologize to the people of pyf, and the good poster monicro.

Man Whore has a new favorite as of 10:26 on Apr 2, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Plan Z posted:

Mods, seriously now.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

http://imgur.com/gallery/DGbs1Wz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

yep, sure am inundated with a constant stream of black media, everywhere I go it's just black black black, as a white man I don't understand how folks can complain that this is an issue

• Locked thread