Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
The Tesla/Musk circle jerk is stupid but it's also funny that all the 'grizzled car guys' are judging a concept-car prototype of a vehicle that won't even be released for like 2 years and going 'I told you so!!!' Of course it looks like a prop, because that's what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Bolt is a better car that you can buy sooner. All hail GM, True Innovators.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
And it has air conditioning!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Tesla Recoil

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dislike button posted:

The Tesla/Musk circle jerk is stupid but it's also funny that all the 'grizzled car guys' are judging a concept-car prototype of a vehicle that won't even be released for like 2 years and going 'I told you so!!!' Of course it looks like a prop, because that's what it is.

About 1.5 years according to Tesla's own stuff. Which isn't a whole lot of time in the car world to go from your concept with a crooked logo on the steering wheel to a completely ready for production model with the newest iPad for your instrument cluster/HVAC/everything.

Sagebrush posted:

I like the front end, personally.

I'm not a fan. "Well we don't need a grill for cooling, just uh, fill it in or something?"

Gonna get hot back there. Half the price of the car is probably in the completely glass roof. The $5000 rock chip repairs will be fun.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I wonder how easily they could hit a lower price point without gimmicky poo poo like that fishbowl roof. That roof will guarantee this car will never get over 130 miles in places like Texas simply because the ac has to be on max to feel less swamp assy in there.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

fknlo posted:

About 1.5 years according to Tesla's own stuff.

You're right probably more like 3 years

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Looks way better than a Prius, I'd drive one.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Everything looks better than a Gen 4 Prius.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I put money down on 1, mostly in hopes that the federal credit is still around when I can order. :shrug:

I think the all glass roof is going to be an option BTW. I'm mostly in it for the autopilot, which rules.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They definitely need to do something about that front-end, just a decorative plastic insert would do the trick. Otherwise it's a pretty good looking car, from the outside at least.

Musk's unpolished and awkward delivery in the keynote is kind of cute but the style of waiting for applause after every statement is quite annoying.

What kind of rear trunk is that thing supposed to have? With the stupid glass roof I assume it's not a proper liftback, so just a tiny hole behind the glass?

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 1, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Whites and Asians only.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

mobby_6kl posted:

What kind of rear trunk is that thing supposed to have? With the stupid glass roof I assume it's not a proper liftback, so just a tiny hole behind the glass?

Unless they hinge the roof too, yeah.
You can put wider things up front, maybe.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I don't get the whole "interior is sleek" thing. I feel like had it been a ford or chevy (or even BMWs which have a similar set up) it would be "Ugh, they don't know how to put a screen in!"

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I think the front looks good.

I think the rear looks good.

I think the inside looks like garbage.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I think the front would look better with some black cladding

Before

After a quick photoshop

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

CornHolio posted:

I think the front looks good.

I think the rear looks good.

I think the inside looks like garbage.

Samsies.

I'm not apologizing for them, but if they can hit that $35k pricepoint they've obviously run out of money to do anything with the interior at all. It does look horrendous.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

awesome-express posted:

Before

After a quick photoshop

The real one looks better.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Something something opinions man something something

I'd still buy it if I had a garage. :haw:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

awesome-express posted:

Before

It looks like a catfish making a puss face.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BloodBag posted:

I wonder how easily they could hit a lower price point without gimmicky poo poo like that fishbowl roof. That roof will guarantee this car will never get over 130 miles in places like Texas simply because the ac has to be on max to feel less swamp assy in there.

Tint is a hell of a thing. I have some 3M stuff on my Volt that is like magic, in terms of heat rejection, and is still extremely light, optically. I live in South Florida, so I share your concern, but I've spoken to several model S owners about theirs, and they don't seem to have any problems down here.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dreesemonkey posted:

Samsies.

I'm not apologizing for them, but if they can hit that $35k pricepoint they've obviously run out of money to do anything with the interior at all. It does look horrendous.
Finally, we might now get our wish of manual crank windows!

The Devil Tesla posted:

The real one looks better.
Well it's a quick photoshop, obviously, but I think it does a good enough job that something"should" be there. I'm sure there's a way to design a front-end without a huge grille, like an NB miata, but that's just not it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

Well it's a quick photoshop, obviously, but I think it does a good enough job that something"should" be there. I'm sure there's a way to design a front-end without a huge grille, like an NB miata, but that's just not it.
Yeah, something needs to be there. It'll take about four seconds after the first production model rolls off the line before someone starts selling a decal for that space, and it'll sell like hotcakes. (Personally, I'd fill in that approximate area you delineated with Vantablack, since that would gently caress with people. But that interior has flipped me from "I might actually buy one of these because it's perfect for me" to "no loving way.")

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Yeah, something needs to be there. It'll take about four seconds after the first production model rolls off the line before someone starts selling a decal for that space, and it'll sell like hotcakes. (Personally, I'd fill in that approximate area you delineated with Vantablack, since that would gently caress with people. But that interior has flipped me from "I might actually buy one of these because it's perfect for me" to "no loving way.")

I'm just assuming that the shape of that front end is for crash rating and pedestrian impact standards? I find it really hard to believe they couldn't have done something better than "front bumper from a Mazda 3 without the grill cutout".

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

fknlo posted:

I'm just assuming that the shape of that front end is for crash rating and pedestrian impact standards? I find it really hard to believe they couldn't have done something better than "front bumper from a Mazda 3 without the grill cutout".

Yesterday I would have found it really hard to believe they couldn't have done something better than "bolt a flatscreen to the middle of the dash." So who knows.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

OH NO MY PRECIOUS INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

fyodor posted:

It's true. Now that Scalia is gone the Supreme Court is going to uphold the secret Obama Adminstration executive action mandating that your car's drivetrain be ripped out and replaced with pure electric or a biodiesel hybrid, right after you are gay-married to someone of their choosing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I just think it's funny that there are people in this very forum who preordered the car before seeing the prototype specifically in the hope that they might save a few thousand on it two years down the line.

I am not a financial advisor or anything, but if the difference between spending 37k or 34k or 30k on a car several years from now is going to break the bank, and you don't even know if the car will have the options you want at the price point you like (Musk has said that he thinks the average sale price of a model 3 + options will be 42k), maybe you shouldn't be buying these things sight unseen

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
They're probably pre-ordering to sell to morons who JUST MUST HAVE IT RIGHT AWAY down the road, when it's actually in production but still backordered.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think it's stupid, but the cost of holding the option is negligible.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I just think it's funny that there are people in this very forum who preordered the car before seeing the prototype specifically in the hope that they might save a few thousand on it two years down the line.

I am not a financial advisor or anything, but if the difference between spending 37k or 34k or 30k on a car several years from now is going to break the bank, and you don't even know if the car will have the options you want at the price point you like (Musk has said that he thinks the average sale price of a model 3 + options will be 42k), maybe you shouldn't be buying these things sight unseen

It will be hard to get one when they're making and selling the 400,000 units a year they need to hit to stay afloat so gotta give them $130,000,000.00 to keep it going.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Methinks that cheap Teslas are the same as cheap Porsches: they only exist on paper.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, it doesn't actually have a permanent financial impact or anything, which is good. It does say something pretty bizarre about people's financial attitudes, though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Well car guys do like to mod.

MrYenko posted:

Tint is a hell of a thing. I have some 3M stuff on my Volt that is like magic, in terms of heat rejection, and is still extremely light, optically. I live in South Florida, so I share your concern, but I've spoken to several model S owners about theirs, and they don't seem to have any problems down here.
Yup. A little tint on the back glass will do a lot of good. And its cheap. And doesn't take up 2 inches of interior headroom space.

mobby_6kl posted:

I agree it needs something to break up the nose. I'm not sure what. The badging on the model X is better than it just being a blank slate like those concepts are. I'll reserve judgement until I can see the final model in person, 18 months out and all.

Sagebrush posted:

I put in the reservation so that *if* I end up getting one I'll get it in 2017 or early 2018. With 150k+ orders already that is at least the entire first year of production already sold. Is it critical? No. But waiting sucks.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This is the trunk opening, from Jalopnik:

Not good, but not the end of the world.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

That looks worse than the much maligned trunk on the last gen Camaro. poo poo, that doesn't beat the trunk on my old '85 VW Cabby by much.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

That looks worse than the much maligned trunk on the last gen Camaro. poo poo, that doesn't beat the trunk on my old '85 VW Cabby by much.

It's not great, but it's not nearly as bad as a Camaro. The Camaro trunk opening is legit awful.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

They're probably pre-ordering to sell to morons who JUST MUST HAVE IT RIGHT AWAY down the road, when it's actually in production but still backordered.
Have you seen the money people paid for the pre-ordered Oclus Rifts? Some went for over 3x of the original cost, and it's a stupid gadget that doesn't even have much use yet. I doubt such markup would fly with the Tesla, but the potential is there.

kimbo305 posted:

Could've been better as in model S but that's basically ok.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

Oh come on. The car isn't perfect but this isn't even trying to be objective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

fyodor posted:

sorry, but all the revolutionary technological advances in the world won't fix this car's looks or the fact that it's dangerous to drive because the controls and instruments are jammed into an ipad app