Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

robodex posted:

Against my better judgement I picked one of these up a few weeks ago when my Pebble broke for the 3rd time. Was able to get it relatively cheap due to open box special + haggling with them at Best Buy.

How accurate is the heart rate monitor? I tend to wear mine a little farther up my forearm and I'm getting readings that are lower than I'd expect. Am I just wearing it wrong?

Make sure you're wearing it slightly snug for a better reading. I've checked while hooked up to an actual medical HRM and it's been very close. When it's wrong though (e.g. bad fit while I'm running or something) it's really wrong, like 49bpm or something when it should probably be 120ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So has anyone had the watch just decide to eat up all the battery and die? Last Sunday my watch just starting draining way too fast and usage/standby read the same. I tried rebooting, force rebooting, reset sync (side note: 9.3 beta actually breaks this so you can't actually do it). I ended up needing to unpair the thing and restore from backup to make it stop. After restoring everything worked all right but now it's doing the same thing. It's been off the charger for an hour and it's gone from 100% to 79% and on track to die before lunch time like it almost did on Sunday.

Soooo has anyone had this happen? I'm not looking forward to restoring from backup on a weekly basis.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
It happened to me a while back. I think I first noticed it when coming back from a long run in the morning with power save mode or whatever (where it turns off the HR sensor) and it still ate through the battery. But unpairing and restoring worked for me, it's been fine since.

I assume something was eating the battery but hell if I know what, since it was surviving restarts I guess something related to syncing with the phone, so maybe app updating, which itself has been kinda lovely on the iPhone in iOS 9 (where updates get perpetually stuck or disappear). Maybe something new in 9.3 beta is loving it up? Are you on the watchOS betas too or are those private? If it keeps happening you might as well submit a bug report about it for 9.3.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

WatchOS beta is dev only so no on that one but I "fixed" it! Turns out turning both watch and phone off for a couple of minutes then turning them back on (phone first, watch last) Makes whatever was causing it to go away. My guess is something is getting stuck in a sync loop but can't pinpoint if it's the watch or the phone causing the gently caress up.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
As a disorganized goon, it would be really nifty if I could trigger the "Find my iPhone" play sound function from my watch.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Frabba posted:

As a disorganized goon, it would be really nifty if I could trigger the "Find my iPhone" play sound function from my watch.

Why can't you?

edit: Assuming you don't know it's there, swipe up and go to the widget that has airplane mode and whatnot. There's an icon of an iphone there. Press it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TBF, if you do it through iCloud, the phone keeps pinging until you get to it whereas the watch only sends one ping. Just means you have to keep hitting the button on the watch, though.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Neat! Did not realize that.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
If you hold the ping button, the light will flash, too.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
efb

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I just saw that Apple cut the price on their watch today. I've seen best buy offer $100 off deals in the past. Anyone know if there's a way for them to pricematch Apple and apply the $100 promo?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SnatchRabbit posted:

I just saw that Apple cut the price on their watch today. I've seen best buy offer $100 off deals in the past. Anyone know if there's a way for them to pricematch Apple and apply the $100 promo?
Not really. If you haven't bought one, they'll just drop the price to whatever the new MSRP is, and if that promo isn't running, they're not going to give it to you.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
OS 2.2 just dropped btw.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

SnatchRabbit posted:

"The past" being "Christmas shopping season." Best Buy hasn't just randomly been slashing Apple Watch $100 here and there year round.

That being said, they've usually got a pretty good stockpile of open box Sports, so when they get around to marking those down to reflect the new MSRP, you could save a little money there. Best Buy coupons generally work on open box too.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

So, WatchOS 2.2 is out, anything interesting not in the patch notes?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

It seems to have crashed my watch, that's pretty interesting

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Not unless you speak Catalan or some backwards Eastern European dialect.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Your current watch face shows up in the settings menu on watch.app :downs:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

They should make the watch face on the iOS home screen show the Watch face. :v:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Zwille posted:

They should make the watch face on the iOS home screen show the Watch face. :v:

I'd take almost anything over the ugly rear end icon they have right now.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I vaguely remember people complaining about the Health app sucking for looking at the heart rate readings. Just found this app and it seems pretty good:

http://heartwatch.tantsissa.com

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
Heads up if you bought the Apple Watch within the last two weeks, Apple retail refunded me the difference in price drop AND pricematched me saving me £50. They were super okay about it as well

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

AdmiralViscen posted:

It seems to have crashed my watch, that's pretty interesting

I thought mine was screwed up but the update for took like an hour and a half. I got the notification when I woke up this morning, so I started the update before I hopped in the shower. By the time I got dressed and ready for work, my watch was still stuck on the Apple logo. I needed to get to work so I didn't have time to deal with at the moment. It took me about 30 minutes to drive to work and by the time I got to my desk, the watch finally started working again.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
My watch updated faster than the last time, in about twenty minutes, but Xcode on my macbook pro took about eight hours :confused:

#JustAppleThings

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I went to the Apple Store today to try the nylon band. It feels nice and super lightweight, but my wrist is fairly large (I guess?) and I couldn't reasonably wear it on anything except the very last hole in the strap. It makes that little nylon loop that catches the excess completely useless and ruins the aesthetic imo. Bummer because it does look nice, but I couldn't justify $50 on something that barely fits.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

I went to the Apple Store today to try the nylon band. It feels nice and super lightweight, but my wrist is fairly large (I guess?) and I couldn't reasonably wear it on anything except the very last hole in the strap. It makes that little nylon loop that catches the excess completely useless and ruins the aesthetic imo. Bummer because it does look nice, but I couldn't justify $50 on something that barely fits.

Maybe you're wearing it wrong. Take a pic of it on with the band and see if anyone here can spot a way to improve the fit?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Isn't there a "long" and "short" version of each strap type? Should be both for nylon as well.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

^ The nylon strap comes in one size only.

Also - my Watch is not syncing all my contacts. I can't be sure how many contacts it's syncing entirely but it's definitely not mirroring my phone (which is the option it's set to). For starters, my Favorites screen shows zero names while I have about a dozen on my phone, and then it doesn't include all my contacts when I try to add a Favorite. I'm specifically trying to add people I know who have an Apple Watch to send stupid smilies and digital touch things.

This is all after updating to 2.2 last night

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If there's multiple sizes, the Apple website doesn't indicate it.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

ShoogaSlim posted:

^ The nylon strap comes in one size only.

Also - my Watch is not syncing all my contacts. I can't be sure how many contacts it's syncing entirely but it's definitely not mirroring my phone (which is the option it's set to). For starters, my Favorites screen shows zero names while I have about a dozen on my phone, and then it doesn't include all my contacts when I try to add a Favorite. I'm specifically trying to add people I know who have an Apple Watch to send stupid smilies and digital touch things.

This is all after updating to 2.2 last night

The favorites on your phone are different from the ones on the watch. Set the favorites on your watch.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Copy that, thanks. I feel like when I first got my watch it just copied my favorites list from my phone. A restart of both Watch and Phone fixed the unsynced Contacts, btw.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
So. Almost a year later. Has the Apple Watch actually improved anyone's life?

I'm not talking about constantly being notified of things. (Turned of most of those) 80% of the reason I got mine was the fitness features. Yes there are cheaper options but I like the apple ecosystem.

Personally I've been dedicated to being healthier for 2 years now and I felt that a constantly naggy watch was the boost I needed when I was staring to get bored.

Well. I have continued to drop some weight which had stopped for a few months. I always hit my Daily goals even if it means I need to take an extra detour getting home or just walking instead of taking public transportion.

I have also tripled my running time and stuff like a 10k now seems breezy instead of torture.

What I'm saying is. I like the impact it's having (albeit aware that there are other options this one worked)

How about you guys? Any difference?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
It's improved my life, subtly, and I get annoyed when I forget to put it in before I go to work.

I haven't used a single third party app.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I don't know if it's changed my life but it is nice to know what just happened to my phone without fishing it out of my pocket.

I also am annoyed when my phone dings and I am not wearing it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah the nagging to stand up and move and generally have those activity bars taunting me every day (holy poo poo there's achievements for being active all week? gently caress yeah) have gotten me to do more in the mornings and generally not be a lazy gently caress. Also not having to check my phone is pretty nice whenever something pops up.

Now let me change notification sounds and maybe open up what else uses the speakers/mic, you fuckers :argh:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I seriously hate it when I forget to put the watch on, which has happened two times in a year if that.

I fell out of the habit of running, but I'm getting back into it and look forward to running my first 10k again with the watch.

The feature I like the most is the pictures app, strangely. I favorite whatever pictures I wanna keep on the watch and then show them around. Has been put to good use when I met people I haven't seen in a while to show them pictures of my nieces and my flat and whatever.

I think what it's changed most is my desire to keep my phone around. I just glance at notifications and tend to postpone answering text messages a lot more, also I waste a lot less time on my phone now. I guess that's a matter of self-discipline but the watch has helped curb this tremendously.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I've gained a combined 50 pounds since the day I recieved my Apple Watch, which was 5/13/2015.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sue Tim Cook

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Dr. Wang posted:

I've gained a combined 50 pounds since the day I recieved my Apple Watch, which was 5/13/2015.

This wouldn't have happened if Steve was still in charge!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Sshhhh, he's bulking! It's a success!

• Locked thread