Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Uroboros posted:

Boon, I'm getting throat hosed, I need drink night tomorrow.

PierreTheMime posted:

:( What was your second matchup?

6 foot muscular dude full of gene seed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

PierreTheMime posted:

:( What was your second matchup?

4x Flyrants with an assload of stealers, lost 3 of 4 rhinos on turn one but came back to make it really close by killing all the Tyrants with a combo of rerolling Cents and Stormtalon Fire. Third game got smooshed by a Wraith host with an Invisible Knight, beat them up a bit but honestly I don't think I made a single armor save the entire game, everything was ignore cover/armor/lose all your hull points. I positioned but not being able to shoot the Knight just let it run all over me.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:laffo: at anyone playing in a tournament of 7th edition 40k. Older editions I could understand the appeal, but now?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Uroboros posted:

4x Flyrants with an assload of stealers, lost 3 of 4 rhinos on turn one but came back to make it really close by killing all the Tyrants with a combo of rerolling Cents and Stormtalon Fire. Third game got smooshed by a Wraith host with an Invisible Knight, beat them up a bit but honestly I don't think I made a single armor save the entire game, everything was ignore cover/armor/lose all your hull points. I positioned but not being able to shoot the Knight just let it run all over me.

After my third Flyrant list at NOVA I realized that I wasn't having any fun.

First beer is on me

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Safety Factor posted:

:laffo: at anyone playing in a tournament of 7th edition 40k. Older editions I could understand the appeal, but now?

Eh, it's actually quite a bit more varied now which makes it more interesting. It's certainly not a rock-solid competitive game but it never has been. There are still dominant armies but at least the meta is such now that you're not going to be playing exactly the same goddamn thing for five rounds straight.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Eldar, Necrons, SM, Tau, War Convo. No you're right, you are going to be playing the same 5 things.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I'm going to my first ever tournament next week and am fully expecting to have my poo poo pushed in by dorks. I'm using it as an excuse to actually get an army painted for the first time in 20 years of playing and to slam hams with an old mate. Plus it's got a ton of soft scores which should make me feel better about the whole thing :v

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
The only tournaments worth going to are the ones with an AS

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DJ Dizzy posted:

The only tournaments worth going to are the ones with an AS open bar
I have no idea what an AS is, but my version sounds like fun.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cooked Auto posted:

So I hear GW has released a new kind of special brush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hx9TO4Tao8

Also, GW doing an April Fools video? What is going on here?

GW has a pretty okay history of putting out April Fools posts, usually with some photoshopped book cover or something. I liked this one.

Uroboros posted:

Boon, I'm getting throat hosed, I need drink night tomorrow.
Sounds like you need drink right this minute. Sorry you're having such a rough time dude, I've always steered clear of that level of competition for just such a reason. Local tournaments can be fun since even if you do get matched up against a netlist in the first round you'll probably end up against pretty chill dudes for rounds 2 and 3, but big tournaments just seem like a nightmare to me.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

GW has a pretty okay history of putting out April Fools posts, usually with some photoshopped book cover or something. I liked this one.

Probably just missed the lot of them because I rarely check their blog.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Don't get me wrong guys, I had a blast, 3 out of 4 opponents were pretty fun. I'm just very tired and looking forward to more laid back games the rest of the weekend. There is like 4 different groups of Hams here that all go to the area I'm from but no one seems to have a after hours plan. I'm going to pass out for the night but I'm really looking to get warHammered these next two nights.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Someone buy this shirt for Moola

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

We actually finished 4 turns of an orks vs chaos 6k apocalypse! It took a great many hours and beers. Orks won the day, but it was very close. I took a bunch of pictures of our dudes looking spiffy, I'll find a sec to post them up somewhere soon. Brief highlights:

- For some unfathomable reason my opponent put his warmaster (Ahriman) in a terminator blob within easy first turn charge range of my warmaster (lucky stikk megaboss) and his MANz, all the while knowing I would get first turn ("final assault" mission). The outcome was, of course, that the boss krumped Ahriman and his squad heinously without them ever having had a turn. Shrug!

- The megaboss and his pals then continued on a berserk killing spree into the chaos deployment zone, somehow surviving several turns of massive shooting and swallowing 4 more squads, only losing a few nobz in the process. They even grabbed an objective along the way.

- A shokk attack gun misfired with boxcars, creating a vortex which scattered and fully inhaled a friendly grot mega-tank.

- A barebones mekboy with FNP survived two rounds of challenges with a Khorne terminator lord.

- Every time I would kill any daemons the various heralds would summon more of the bastards. Summoning is a big problem when your opponent has a warp charge pool of ~25 every turn.

One of my favorite things about this scale of game is that units just get totally shredded but then ignored for more important targets, leaving a lot of random stragglers around. These can lead to unimportant but fun sub-fights. We had two ard boyz win a little combat with a renegade heavy weapons team, some grot crew held out through the end of the game against a couple of flamers, and a lone mek with a relic shoota knocked off the last of a weathered CSM crew manning a conversion beamer.

All in all a crazy spectacle, and honestly pretty exhausting. I'll be doing 1k games for a while I think.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Eldar, Necrons, SM, Tau, War Convo. No you're right, you are going to be playing the same 5 things.

And 'nids, and like 4 flavors of demons, and those other 4 flavors of SM/SW/GK/DA that aren't battle company, and the 3 other eldar buids, and the 4+ Tau builds that are all super different. You are right, having the majority of the books be competitive with multiple builds is the worst

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Badab Narrative game in the back hanging out with the Inquisitor Cosplayer.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

AM can be competitive too.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

The Kingfish posted:

AM can be competitive too.

War Convocation has been mentioned. I suppose a standard combo of Cult Mechanicus and Skitarii can be okay as well, played properly. The bonus from the Formation though is just so good I can't imagine a standard list being better outside of a specific matchup.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Monoliths posted:

apoc trip report

That actually sounds like exactly what an Apocalypse game should be! Looking forward to the pictures.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

PierreTheMime posted:

War Convocation has been mentioned. I suppose a standard combo of Cult Mechanicus and Skitarii can be okay as well, played properly. The bonus from the Formation though is just so good I can't imagine a standard list being better outside of a specific matchup.

I meant IG, which is also technically AM these days.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Naramyth posted:

And 'nids, and like 4 flavors of demons, and those other 4 flavors of SM/SW/GK/DA that aren't battle company, and the 3 other eldar buids, and the 4+ Tau builds that are all super different. You are right, having the majority of the books be competitive with multiple builds is the worst

I was gonna ask earlier how 'nids were doing these days. After CSM they're the next faction i'd want to start collecting, I really like the look of their figures and how different they'd be to paint from the SPEHSS MAHREENS I'm used to.

Monoliths posted:

We actually finished 4 turns of an orks vs chaos 6k apocalypse! It took a great many hours and beers. Orks won the day, but it was very close. I took a bunch of pictures of our dudes looking spiffy, I'll find a sec to post them up somewhere soon. Brief highlights:

All in all a crazy spectacle, and honestly pretty exhausting. I'll be doing 1k games for a while I think.

Man, hearing "it took hours" and "we finished 4 turns" is kinda mind-boggling to me, but I guess that's apocalypse for you. I can't imagine playing at the 6k scale.

Cool to hear the other guy fielded Ahriman! TSons represent! (Even if he got chumped immediately :smith:)

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

The Kingfish posted:

I meant IG, which is also technically AM these days.

Ah, I read AM as Adeptus Mechanicus :/

They are some pretty decent Astra Militarum lists out there, that is true. I think the real barrier for entry for them is the body count for modelling/painting, unless you're fielding an Armored Battlegroup.

Zaphod42 posted:

I was gonna ask earlier how 'nids were doing these days. After CSM they're the next faction i'd want to start collecting, I really like the look of their figures and how different they'd be to paint from the SPEHSS MAHREENS I'm used to.
Tyranid are doing *very* well if you play them in a single flavor: Flying Hive Tyrants sprinkled with some other units (or not!). At my recent GT they took four of the top 15 spots and won 1st place. Flying Monstrous Creature spam is really solid right now by virtue of every other list having to have contingency plans for everything else and Skyfire weapons are expensive and uncommon. I played a Tau player who saw my list with his many many Riptides and just kind of sighed... he hadn't paid the 20pts per model to get Skyfire and had to just watch as I zoomed around nuking everything.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 1, 2016

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Man, hearing "it took hours" and "we finished 4 turns" is kinda mind-boggling to me, but I guess that's apocalypse for you. I can't imagine playing at the 6k scale.

Cool to hear the other guy fielded Ahriman! TSons represent! (Even if he got chumped immediately :smith:)

Yeah, my buddy and I have a yearly apocalypse game, this is maybe the 7th or so, though they're usually at 5k. We're both pretty into fluffy armies and get all nerdy with strategies and making sure we're doing it right, so I can imagine it going a bit quicker if you have several superheavies on each side and it's essentially a D-template waving competition.

Since I only have the one regular opponent we generally keep our new units (or armies!!) secret until they hit the table. You can imagine my joy when one day a footslogging Tzeentch horde appears at a game, and is actually pretty effective against my various woefully unoptimized forces. :allears:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Any Tau players up for giving me some advice? I managed to get my hands on a Retribution Cadre for cheap and I'm a little uncertain on how to kit my suits out. Everything's going to be swappable when I build them, but I'm not exactly familiar on the more popular loadouts/wargear.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Zaphod42 posted:

It really does boil down to what do you want to get out of it. Some of the fun is just hanging out and talking, laughing, eating, drinking, whatever. Some of it is seeing a crapload of models on the table and dealing with things at that scale. Your mileage may vary based on what you want to get out of it.

Here is some footage from the last Apoc game I played in. The real point was just to get a lot of models out there. The game lasted about 8 hours with a 1 hour lunch. Got through 6 rounds if I remember correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_qWqpYzTbA

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Uroboros posted:

Badab Narrative game in the back hanging out with the Inquisitor Cosplayer.

I can't PM ya, but I'm getting down there tonight - if you see me, my name is James

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

PierreTheMime posted:

Ah, I read AM as Adeptus Mechanicus :/

They are some pretty decent Astra Militarum lists out there, that is true. I think the real barrier for entry for them is the body count for modelling/painting, unless you're fielding an Armored Battlegroup.

Tyranid are doing *very* well if you play them in a single flavor: Flying Hive Tyrants sprinkled with some other units (or not!). At my recent GT they took four of the top 15 spots and won 1st place. Flying Monstrous Creature spam is really solid right now by virtue of every other list having to have contingency plans for everything else and Skyfire weapons are expensive and uncommon. I played a Tau player who saw my list with his many many Riptides and just kind of sighed... he hadn't paid the 20pts per model to get Skyfire and had to just watch as I zoomed around nuking everything.

Man, this really highlights what diamonds Mek Gunz were amidst the 4th ed copy-pasted poo poo-mire that was the recent Ork codex. Get Traktor Kannon'd, Flyrant scrubs. :getin:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Boon posted:

I can't PM ya, but I'm getting down there tonight - if you see me, my name is James

What you guys going to be wearing again?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Uroboros posted:

What you guys going to be wearing again?

E: my friend just gave me the shirt.... It's incredibly small for the size. So Ill be the guy nipping

Boon fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 2, 2016

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

I'm like 10 shots into whiskey hammer...I have no idea what's going on.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Uroboros posted:

If it's any consolation, being sober wouldn't help.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Uroboros posted:

As long as you explain how its played.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
So I missed my chance to get the Nurgle and Alpha Legion dreadnoughts in another 'last chance to buy' flash sale...does any gentlegoon have either of these they don't want any more?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
So apparently this is the list that won the Championships at Adepticon.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Master Twig posted:

So apparently this is the list that won the Championships at Adepticon.

Jesus loving Christ. That's a Frankenstein of a list, can't imagine that it'd be very fun to play either.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

And there we have exactly why formations/detachments need to be reviewed and limited.

e: I understand it's for a tournament but still...

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
A guy posted that in the Space Wolves FB group saying 'yay Space Wolves!'... The almost universal reply was' that's not a Space Wolves list, pal'

That mishmash of netlist crap is one reason I don't think I'll ever play a tournament.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
That's not even the worst tourny list I've seen in the same vein. A place around here had someone enter with an army with seven total detachments of the best bits from the various Marine codexes and suppliments.
Dude had the temerity to try and claim it was a 'fluffy' list, using it as the excuse when he only placed 10th out of 15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
That is honestly not a very intimidating list, at least from a Tyranids perspective. It's a ton of points into relatively squishy MEq bodies with a somewhat muddled purpose. It's nice to see something win that's not a ridiculous formation, I suppose.

• Locked thread