Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Getting a senator advised by Modern Monetary Theorists to give a speech named after Friedman would be an accurate bellwether for the long-overdue death of the Chicago school.

An Economics Cartoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Herblock awards ceremony speaker

Crocuta
Nov 6, 2004
wakkawa

Fulchrum posted:

I never understand why China doesn't just take out Kim and all his general's and install a government of sane people. Surely you want your proxy buffers to be quiet, not make waves, but still look threatening.

America would never tolerate China in North Korea. If the US moves on NK China will respond, and if China moves on NK the US will respond. So the stalemate continues.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

loquacius posted:

Clay Bennett continues hot streak of nothing but excellent cartoons on the topic of Donald Trump's tiny hands

It's catching on

6 Henry Payne is truly in touch with the mentality of today's youth

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Everything floats down here

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

http://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Organic-Lemons-1-Dozen/dp/B004G2DR5S

:shrug:

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

The logical end of the "free market" is using child labor and remaining unprofitable. AGC

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Free market child looks tired and malnourished, agc.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

colonel_korn posted:

I'm not even sure what the gently caress this one is trying to say. "The youth will flee from the state that has jobs that pay them enough to live on (but are still well below what wages would be if they kept pace with productivity)"?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
The free market is benevolent and leaves the Super Cheap Lemonade business to children. That's why you don't see older people do it.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

SSNeoman posted:

Oooooooo this is my nomination for the gay abortions. I know Ramirez shits these out, but he obviously does it thoughtlessly and they fail on their own merit (or lack thereof). This one actually has thought put into it. I dunno why this one annoys me more than the others of its ilk.

Seriously what do you fuckers want? How is Obama supposed to schedule events around Daesh attacks??
At this point they literally want a white Republican doing exactly what Obama's doing against ISIL.

I really can't figure out any other explanation, all the Republican cartoonists did exactly the same "Obama dancing in Cuba while Brussels happened, he isn't doing anything about ISIL" cartoon even though we've been beating the poo poo out of ISIL for 18 months now.

loquacius posted:

Clay Bennett continues hot streak of nothing but excellent cartoons on the topic of Donald Trump's tiny hands

:drat:
I realize the "small hands" thing it's kind of low-hanging fruit but:
1) It seems to make Trump legitimately mad for whatever reason, so I approve
2) Trump deserves it
3) Trump really loving deserves it, because gently caress his horrifically lovely abortion comments
4) Bennett seems to be out of his slump now that he has something to make fun of Trump for
5) gently caress it, this level of immature discourse is all the Republican primary deserves anyway

So keep up the good work Bennett.:)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

colonel_korn posted:

"Wait, my wages are nearly doubling over the next six years? gently caress that poo poo, I'm outta here!" :rolleyes:

Holy poo poo this makes no sense on literally any level unless you honestly believe the youth are terrified of or actually allergic to making money.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Alkydere posted:

"Wait, my wages are nearly doubling over the next six years? gently caress that poo poo, I'm outta here!" :rolleyes:

Holy poo poo this makes no sense on literally any level unless you honestly believe the youth are terrified of or actually allergic to making money.

You're all being willfully dense, he's just assuming that the Youth agree with the classic conservative "higher wages fewer jobs" refrain. Which is laughable.

As for why this kid is holding a pen (?) out the window, I have no idea

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It's saying that the $15 minimum wage will kill the job market, jfc people stop being willfully dense

e: gently caress

e2: the pen is because he just finished marking up the sign

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

On second thought, IT was the manifestation of what we're afraid of, A Good Cartoon.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

The free market is worried that forced market corrections will ruin it's ability to artificially keep wages low, avoid regulations, and stifle competition with monopalistic behavior.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Trump not nearly as misogynist as in real life in these comics. Clearly artists are closet Trump supporters.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

"It's one banana, Michael, how much can it cost? Ten dollars?"

I would be more than happy to pay $1.50 per lemon so that the people harvesting them made a living wage. How many loving lemons does the average person buy anyway?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

alnilam posted:

You're all being willfully dense, he's just assuming that the Youth agree with the classic conservative "higher wages fewer jobs" refrain. Which is laughable.

Wanamingo posted:

It's saying that the $15 minimum wage will kill the job market, jfc people stop being willfully dense

I try to avoid the worst of the threads watching the right wing nutters for my own sanity, mostly just keeping up with USPol monthly and pretty pictures here, and so I've missed that talking point. I've probably heard that point before to be honest but my brain rejected it because it's so loving dumb on so many levels.

So I'm not being willfully dense, it's honestly not a rightwing talking point I am familiar enough to remember even when it shoves itself in my face because it is so goddamned stupid. The assumption that raising wages will suddenly cause there to be less work to be done just baffles me. And the fact that people will flee from it? In the last two days I've suddenly started thinking about moving to California in a year or two once the wage increases really start kicking in.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

4 HB1523 is MS's version of North Carolina's gently caress the gays "religious liberty" bill, but could be even worse - if you've had premarital sex, the bill could apply to you. It's even got its own hashtag on Twitter - #HB1523.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Can we set aside for the moment the politics here and look at how badly the visual metaphor is constructed? "Oh no that guy is charging more than me I'm going to go out of business with this competition."

e: As for the message itself as opposed to its delivery...

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 1, 2016

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

alnilam posted:

What do you mean laughable? That's why Bernie Sanders is polling so low among youth voters, because of his silly youth-unfriendly message.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Abyssal Squid posted:

Can we set aside for the moment the politics here and look at how badly the visual metaphor is constructed? "Oh no that guy is charging more than me I'm going to go out of business with this competition."

Maybe Lisa is so stupid that she thinks that children's lemonade stands are actually profitable, but now because of the wage "hike" lemons won't be affordable enough to sell lemonade cups for 25 cents.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

This is a new level of willfully dense.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Payne really taking a leaf out of Allie's book

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

D.N. Nation posted:

Garfield hates Mondays.
Marmaduke is a large dog.
HA HA OUR VOTER ID LAWS SCREWED THE BLACKS HA HA
Funky Winkerbean has cancer.

Yeah, it's really hosed up that they keep printing Funky Winkerbean where kids can see it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Playstation 4 posted:

I'm used to revanchist being the term for this, but new words are good words.

Revanchism and irridentism are two different things. One wants a general revenge, the other specifically wants supposed lost territory.

As in, a revanchist wants back what was lost in the war 50 years ago, the irridentist wants lands that his ethnic group has a claim to, but his country may never have held.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 1, 2016

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

alnilam posted:

Lazy gently caress is trying to get some unrealistic gig as an "artist" who draws cartoons with a "message"

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

alnilam posted:

They're the one who graffiti'd the sign.

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably

"We all vote down here"

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

alnilam posted:

We get it, Payne, he vapes.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Makes perfect sense he's holding it out the window, I certainly wouldn't want a pen in my car

have you heard some of the stuff they put in ink???

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Crain posted:

The free market is worried that forced market corrections will ruin it's ability to artificially keep wages low, avoid regulations, and stifle competition with monopalistic behavior.

Someone pointed out on my blog what a perfect metaphor this really is, since the only reason the kid can charge so little is that he's fully subsidized by his parents
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-low-wage-employers-cost-taxpayers-153-billion-a-year/

Best Bad Reporter in a while imo

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

I don't know why but I love this Trump caricature

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

25 cent lemonade that is mostly high fructose corn syrup and tastes like rear end... or fresh lemons so that I can make my own with cane sugar and a touch of grapefruit juice.

gently caress the "free market"

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

MechaCrash posted:

I'm not even sure what the gently caress this one is trying to say. "The youth will flee from the state that has jobs that pay them enough to live on (but are still well below what wages would be if they kept pace with productivity)"?

It guess he assumes that the youth will flee because employers will eliminate jobs since they can't keep paying their people so too little to live on. Because we're supposed to suck it up and be driven into massive debt to learn a lesson and bootstrap outselves into better jobs that pay far more than this minimum. The same minimum that they were unwilling to pay us before.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Payne is saying the same thing all the Conservatives have been saying about increased minimum wage:
If you increase minimum wage, the job makers will hire less people.
"Gee, I would love to hire 15 of you for $2 an hour, but thanks to Big Government making minimum wage $15 an hour, I can only afford to hire 2 of you."

The youth fleeing the state is scratching out "wages" for "jobs" is saying that there are now only 15 jobs total available in the state, due to the decreased hiring.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

the_steve posted:

Payne is saying the same thing all the Conservatives have been saying about increased minimum wage:
If you increase minimum wage, the job makers will hire less people.
"Gee, I would love to hire 15 of you for $2 an hour, but thanks to Big Government making minimum wage $15 an hour, I can only afford to hire 2 of you."

The youth fleeing the state is scratching out "wages" for "jobs" is saying that there are now only 15 jobs total available in the state, due to the decreased hiring.

Yeah, conservatives seem to think # of employees = revenue / minimum wage and increasing revenue can't ever happen, prices have to stay low no matter the profitability!

• Locked thread