Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

According to the autoblog article on driving the 3, the glass roof is a option. I preordered one based on my experiences with the model s, which I liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So 35k gets you the cheap version and there may or may not be any tax credits left by then. Good thing it is refundable. (Probably in Tesla T-Shirts)

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Wait, the tax credit is limited to the first buyers? gently caress that, I am cancelling my reservation.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
The $7500 tax credit applies to the first 200,000 cars Tesla sells in the US, international sales don't count. The same credit will continue for the rest of that quarter, as well as the following quarter. So if Tesla sells #200K on Jan 1st 2018, every car sold in the US for 6 more months will get the credit. Then the credit is cut in half for 6 months. Then cut in half again for another 6 months.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I wonder what # was my reservation at 9am today... if I find out its not within the 200k, I'll cancel.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Animal posted:

I wonder what # was my reservation at 9am today... if I find out its not within the 200k, I'll cancel.

Your reservation number probably isn't going to have a great deal to do with your actual build number, anyway.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The tax credit only becomes a problem if the S and X reach 200k before the 3 starts getting delivered. Or the Republicans kill the credit to buy more F35s or the Great Wall of Trump.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

borkencode posted:

The $7500 tax credit applies to the first 200,000 cars Tesla sells in the US, international sales don't count. The same credit will continue for the rest of that quarter, as well as the following quarter. So if Tesla sells #200K on Jan 1st 2018, every car sold in the US for 6 more months will get the credit. Then the credit is cut in half for 6 months. Then cut in half again for another 6 months.

What's the process for doing this anyway? Do you submit the purchase to the IRS immediately, or does it get rolled into your taxes the following year?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

A lot of the nitpicking just seems so obviously to be general contrariness. Oh God the glass roof is a disaster, imagine taking a rock to it, wtf Tesla? Completely ignoring that everything from Nissans to Porches and everything in between have had panoramic glass roofs for years and nobody bitches about it. There's no vents in the concept interior, wtf Tesla? Even if that interior is the final product, round/rectangular plastic vents scattered around the dash isn't the only way to ventilate a cabin. They only do the big screen because it's cheap! Because plastic gauges and knobs with maybe a couple of cents worth of cheap alloy covering = omg so luxurious, these guys really know how to spend my money.
Like, I'm not bothered either way about the model 3 but I can't understand why everyone expects it to be so far beyond what everyone else builds for the same money, and gets all pissy when they aren't being shown the equivalent of a Spyker or Pagani.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

io_burn posted:

What's the process for doing this anyway? Do you submit the purchase to the IRS immediately, or does it get rolled into your taxes the following year?

It applies to your tax filing for the fiscal year you title the car, IIRC.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

io_burn posted:

It is an income tax credit applied when you file. So you can only claim the full amount if you owed at least $7500 in federal income taxes (which was not a problem for most Model S and X buyers, but might be for some Model 3 buyers).

Tesla still does not do a good job of advertising that fact up front, which is disappointing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tyro posted:

Tesla still does not do a good job of advertising that fact up front, which is disappointing.

I actually had this argument with a dude in line, who ended up being a loving tax attorney. He was telling his buddy that "Ya, the government basically gives you money" which I gently corrected, and he got bent out of shape. Spent the next couple minutes with his nose in his phone and I guess found a loophole where if you form an organization of some sort and title the car to that, you can carry the credit forwards to use the whole thing?

For an individual, it is a non-refundable, non-transferable (meaning a single year of taxes only,) tax credit. Not a refundable credit, which means if you don't, or can't use the whole thing, the IRS is not going to write you a check.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Not a refundable credit, which means if you don't, or can't use the whole thing, the IRS is not going to write you a check.

Yep. And I think Tesla still doesn't do a good job of communicating that to their customers. It was more excusable/understandable in the early Model S days, not so much now.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Did they actually say that supercharging is standard on the cheapest Model 3? Or is it one of those cases where the hardware to allow for supercharging is standard on every Model 3, but you still have to pay $2500 or whatever to activate it?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Linedance posted:

A lot of the nitpicking just seems so obviously to be general contrariness. Oh God the glass roof is a disaster, imagine taking a rock to it, wtf Tesla? Completely ignoring that everything from Nissans to Porches and everything in between have had panoramic glass roofs for years and nobody bitches about it. There's no vents in the concept interior, wtf Tesla? Even if that interior is the final product, round/rectangular plastic vents scattered around the dash isn't the only way to ventilate a cabin. They only do the big screen because it's cheap! Because plastic gauges and knobs with maybe a couple of cents worth of cheap alloy covering = omg so luxurious, these guys really know how to spend my money.
Like, I'm not bothered either way about the model 3 but I can't understand why everyone expects it to be so far beyond what everyone else builds for the same money, and gets all pissy when they aren't being shown the equivalent of a Spyker or Pagani.

The interior looks like garbage, and the horses mouth said it was a production vehicle. Sorry not everyone dances to the same tune?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tyro posted:

Yep. And I think Tesla still doesn't do a good job of communicating that to their customers. It was more excusable/understandable in the early Model S days, not so much now.

Absolutely, though to be fair, no one else does either. I understood the credit when I went to buy my Volt, but the salesman didn't, and it showed. Tesla being a company that builds no products that DON'T take advantage of the credit probably should do a little more to familiarize customers though, you're right.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Did they actually say that supercharging is standard on the cheapest Model 3? Or is it one of those cases where the hardware to allow for supercharging is standard on every Model 3, but you still have to pay $2500 or whatever to activate it?

Standard on all Model 3s.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OldSenileGuy posted:

They said it's standard, as is "autopilot safety". You need to pay to enable full autopilot (adaptive cruise, lane/car following, auto park, summon).

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Tyro posted:

It is an income tax credit applied when you file. So you can only claim the full amount if you owed at least $7500 in federal income taxes (which was not a problem for most Model S and X buyers, but might be for some Model 3 buyers).

What I'm not super clear on is how the 200,000 car limit works. It seems like you'd want to file as soon as possible to be under that, so you'd still need to wait for the begin of the 2017 tax filing period (provided they ship next year) and hope you submit your taxes and they're processed before everyone else?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

io_burn posted:

What I'm not super clear on is how the 200,000 car limit works. It seems like you'd want to file as soon as possible to be under that, so you'd still need to wait for the begin of the 2017 tax filing period (provided they ship next year) and hope you submit your taxes and they're processed before everyone else?

Borkencode did a good job explaining it earlier on this page:

quote:

The limit is not based on when you file taxes but when the car is actually sold / delivered (Tesla counts those in funky ways some times). So there will be a clear cutoff window and then a phase down window, and based on when you take delivery, the amount of the tax credit you can claim is pretty straightforward.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/715934657720639488

The revenue number makes him look as bad at accounting as I am, but very interesting about the average option price.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MrYenko posted:

Your reservation number probably isn't going to have a great deal to do with your actual build number, anyway.

Haven't the first batches of both the S and X been the "Signature" models that only come loaded? Hell, the X still doesn't have a configurator, are there any non-Signature models even out there yet?

I'd expect the same here. First batch is all loaded models, then they start to phase in other configurations. Your reservation number could probably impact your order within a batch of similar cars, but I'd be willing to bet that those who want a more stripped down configuration are going to be waiting the longest.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Tyro posted:

The limit is not based on when you file taxes but when the car is actually sold / delivered (Tesla counts those in funky ways some times). So there will be a clear cutoff window and then a phase down window, and based on when you take delivery, the amount of the tax credit you can claim is pretty straightforward.

So you think there will be a pretty clear indication that I'll get the full $7,500 when I actually pick my options and stuff? My plan was to keep the net cost of the car around $40k, so if I'm totally in for the tax credit I'm just going to go HAM with options to keep that number around the same. ...But I don't want to be over-budget with a $50k car if all the sudden it's like "Oh poo poo no tax credit sorry bro."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Even with the model 3, I can't see anyone actually affording one who doesn't have at least $7500 in tax liability. That's about a $61k annual income and if you aren't making at least that, you probably shouldn't be buying $35k cars.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Perhaps you are not familiar with the level of financial discipline that guides American car purchases.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
If average options are 7k, the 35k base model must be absolute poo poo in comparison.

Can the tax credit be carried forward for a year if you don't use all of it?

I have very swingy income, and I needed the carry forward for my solar panel tax credit.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Subjunctive posted:

Perhaps you are not familiar with the level of financial discipline that guides American car purchases.

If you like bad financial planning surrounding cars, you should really lurk r/teslamotors and watch 18 year olds living with their parents rationalizing leasing a $100,000 car because of all the money they'll save on gas.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

OldSenileGuy posted:

He said "all model 3s will come with supercharging standard", the PP presentation said "supercharging capability".
So not 100% clear.

Arkane posted:

If average options are 7k, the 35k base model must be absolute poo poo in comparison.

I have very swingy income, and I needed the carry forward for my solar panel tax credit.
Nope.

e:f;b.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Arkane posted:

Nope.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arkane posted:

I'm guessing most are getting autopilot and the tech/GPS package at least, given early-adopter demographics, but at least on the S the options are things that are actually optional (heated seats, bigger wheels, fancy paint/upholstery, upgraded audio, spoiler, pano roof) and not basic things like backup cameras or keyless entry or AC.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

io_burn posted:

If you like bad financial planning surrounding cars, you should really lurk r/teslamotors and watch 18 year olds living with their parents rationalizing leasing a $100,000 car because of all the money they'll save on gas.

I remember talking with a person at a Tesla store about the lease terms on a car (GA, so they aren't allowed to actually sell it). The lady dropped $725 a month for the stripped-down 70 kW/H model and I remember thinking "Holy gently caress, there's no way in hell I could spend $300+ a month in loving gas to make this even remotely worth it". :psyduck:

Reddit is hilariously awful so I never go there, but thank you for the mental image of the average Redactor.

Edit: Supercharging being standard on the 3 is a really good idea. Early adopters on the S and Roadsters are more likely to be conscious about the range limitations and needs of an electric vehicle. People like ~my girlfriend~ (who adores the concept of the Model 3 and autopilot) that routinely forget to charge their phones will see the limitations of the electric car slam in their face when they're sitting on the side of the road without a charge, staring down the prospect of a tow and 3 hour recharge session. These folks will most likely bad-mouth electric vehicles as inconvenient at that point because they made a mistake, and now fixing it is causing them to have to change their entire day.

However, let them tap into a supercharger and put enough miles to get home in about 15 minutes and it'll turn into more of an embarrassment of "yeah, I forgot to charge it, so I had to go get a coffee." Give someone a battery backup USB charger thing and it becomes less about "This phone sucks" and more "Yeah I forgot". It's a brilliant idea.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 1, 2016

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
I've been trying to figure out which options have been confirmed, so far I have:

1. Larger battery (and probably a performance version on top of this)
2. Dual motors
3. The glass roof
4. Autopilot
5. Air suspension

Seems pretty similar to the options available for the S, so I'm expecting it to be the same list, minus the rear facing seats.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I had this conversation with a coworker. He realized it was silly when i made him realize he spends about $20/week on gas.

Now if you are already buying a $40k+ vehicle sure. But you cant justify buying one vs say, an altima or some poo poo.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Ripoff posted:

I remember talking with a person at a Tesla store about the lease terms on a car (GA, so they aren't allowed to actually sell it). The lady dropped $725 a month for the stripped-down 70 kW/H model and I remember thinking "Holy gently caress, there's no way in hell I could spend $300+ a month in loving gas to make this even remotely worth it". :psyduck:

Reddit is hilariously awful so I never go there, but thank you for the mental image of the average Redditor.

I can't find it now as I really can't figure out what to search for to find it, but the best Reddit Model S post I ever saw was a dude living in some supremely lovely apartment working an hourly wage job who bought a Model S to save money on gas which he charged by keeping his front door cracked open and running a long-assed extension cord down to the parking lot. He had all these photos of the insane run the extension cord did, which included going down some stairs.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

io_burn posted:

I can't find it now as I really can't figure out what to search for to find it, but the best Reddit Model S post I ever saw was a dude living in some supremely lovely apartment working an hourly wage job who bought a Model S to save money on gas which he charged by keeping his front door cracked open and running a long-assed extension cord down to the parking lot. He had all these photos of the insane run the extension cord did, which included going down some stairs.

Maybe its the altima lease guy moving up in the world.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I mean I can't really fault dumb gently caress decisions like that, when I was 18 I had a real stupid car I could barely afford. Seems like a rite of passage to realize how loving stupid it is to be car broke.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Don Lapre posted:

I had this conversation with a coworker. He realized it was silly when i made him realize he spends about $20/week on gas.

Now if you are already buying a $40k+ vehicle sure. But you cant justify buying one vs say, an altima or some poo poo.

Assuming you qualify for 7500 and you get the average options, it'll cost you $35k after rebate versus like, what, $32k for a top end altima?

I have a top end altima, and I like my car a lot. But there's no question I'll pay the extra few bucks for a 225 mile range vehicle that is more fun to drive and has very low maintenance/fuel costs.

On a different issue, won't this car essentially render the Model S an inferior car without a big step up in the specs? Why bother buying a Model S when you can get let's say the top of the line model 3 for 50k? Seems like there might have to be huge improvements in the S in terms of range to justify the cost beyond just a roomier vehicle.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Arkane posted:

Assuming you qualify for 7500 and you get the average options, it'll cost you $35k after rebate versus like, what, $32k for a top end altima?

I have a top end altima, and I like my car a lot. But there's no question I'll pay the extra few bucks for a 225 mile range vehicle that is more fun to drive and has very low maintenance/fuel costs.

On a different issue, won't this car essentially render the Model S an inferior car without a big step up in the specs? Why bother buying a Model S when you can get let's say the top of the line model 3 for 50k? Seems like there might have to be huge improvements in the S in terms of range to justify the cost beyond just a roomier vehicle.
Roomier, faster, longer range.... Its the 5 series vs 3 series discussion. The short version is "people do crazy stuff for minor improvements"

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Arkane posted:

The rebate could be gone or greatly diminished by the time it arrives. Im also talking about the person buying the $22k altima vs the $35-40k model 3 because of gas savings.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

io_burn posted:

I must find that this weekend, and when I do (unless someone beats me to it) I will post it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ripoff posted:

This is why I don't own one (well, that and I'm not in a position to drop that much on a car really).

I commute 52 miles 1 way to work, and drive a Focus ST, so not the greatest mileage in the world, averages around 27. My annual cost for fuel last year was $2400.

Given that you don't save 100% of that (have to pay for the electricity to fuel it), there is no way that the cost savings alone can even justify spending $42k on a 3, let alone the $$ for an S.

This really is about wanting the car and wanting to go electric, not about saving money.

• Locked thread