Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Lucas simply combined elements of Buddist philosophy, Taoism and ‭‭‭Zoroastrianism. It's watered down simplified pop philosophy at best. The idea of any of the Star Wars movies challenging anyone intellectually is almost embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Lucas simply combined elements of Buddist philosophy, Taoism and ‭‭‭Zoroastrianism. It's watered down simplified pop philosophy at best. The idea of any of the Star Wars movies challenging anyone intellectually is almost embarrassing.

People are continually challenged by Star Wars. It's simply a challenge that most fail.

Even Force Awakens is a test.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Just out of curiosity: can people calling JJ Abrams "the Thomas Kinkade of film" tell me how old they are?

I ask this because I feel like the film is really, -really- obviously about millenials and their struggles, and I could easily see someone detached from millenials not understanding that. Rey on Jakku is how we feel; abandoned, without purpose, stuck on a dead/dying world inhabited by the metal corpses from errors of the prior generation.

Even without all the other imagery and symbolism inherent to the rest of the film, I don't see how someone can watch the Jakku scenes and believe the film is as vacuous and creatively hollow as a Kinkade work.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
'Millenial' is a buzzword invented after everyone caught on to 'hipster' being meaningless.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Neurolimal posted:

Just out of curiosity: can people calling JJ Abrams "the Thomas Kinkade of film" tell me how old they are?

I ask this because I feel like the film is really, -really- obviously about millenials and their struggles, and I could easily see someone detached from millenials not understanding that. Rey on Jakku is how we feel; abandoned, without purpose, stuck on a dead/dying world inhabited by the metal corpses from errors of the prior generation.

Even without all the other imagery and symbolism inherent to the rest of the film, I don't see how someone can watch the Jakku scenes and believe the film is as vacuous and creatively hollow as a Kinkade work.

86 year old asexual here. First off, I'm an archmaster, which means I've started to delve into the Imperial Mysteries. You wouldn't last five seconds in a Duel Arcane with me, I assure you.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

'Millenial' is a buzzword invented after everyone caught on to 'hipster' being meaningless.

do you have the same opinion for Baby Boomer, Greatest Generation, Generation X, etcetera?

I mean, it's really obvious what age group I'm talking about.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
theres obviously subtext commentary in your face about star wars fans in this movie and if you don't see it then enjoy your star wars toys and stuff

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

86 year old asexual here. First off, I'm an archmaster, which means I've started to delve into the Imperial Mysteries. You wouldn't last five seconds in a Duel Arcane with me, I assure you.

I'l kill you so hard while you're busy bowing.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neurolimal posted:

do you have the same opinion for Baby Boomer, Greatest Generation, Generation X, etcetera?

I mean, it's really obvious what age group I'm talking about.

The word you're looking for is 'children.'

"Star Wars is for children."

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The word you're looking for is 'children.'

"Star Wars is for children."

if that's what you want to define 18-35 year olds, sure. I don't have a negative view of the future of our world, so I'l keep using millennial.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Brainiac Five posted:

Greetings.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neurolimal posted:

if that's what you want to define 18-35 year olds, sure. I don't have a negative view of the future of our world, so I'l keep using millennial.

Have you noticed that nobody refers to ISIS as a millennial organization.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

defectivemonkey posted:

I don't like throwing accusations of fallacy around because it belies my secret atheism, but holy crap tautology ahoy.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ferrinus posted:

Greetings.

Hello.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

As a millennial, I

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
10 Things About Star Wars Only Millennials Will Understand

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Considering Star Wars is a children's/all-ages movie, wouldn't they be trying to appeal to the generation after millenials anyway? Millenials were children and teenagers when the prequels were coming out.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Darth Vader was really cool in the Rebels finale and I wonder if that same slow, brutish style of lightsaber fighting is how he'll be in Rogue One

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Ferrinus posted:

Greetings.
I think you mean "Dark Greetings!"

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Traits often and specifically associated with the shared experiences of people born 1982-2000 in the first world are in evidence in the characters of Finn, Rey, and Ben, who at the time of release are in that age group. Coupled with the motif of older characters receding and being survived by echoes of their own conflicts, a generational interpretation is clearly valid.

Anecdotally, it seems to have succeeded in being for kids. However, the group born 2000-2018 have not yet been stereotyped, or even named, so it is difficult to interpret the film in the context of being about kids.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I am finally watching 'Legend of the Galactic Heroes' and it riffs on Star Wars while the prequels (at least with some visuals) riff on this anime. There's a particular area in the show's Death Star equivalent (Iserlohn Fortress) filled with space columns that is repeated with the Senate Welcome area in Episode 3.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Neurolimal posted:

How about adultescents?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
This is who TFA was made for:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Yeah, and in 2001: A Space Odyssey Kubrick simply combined elements of Nietzschean philosophy with Homeric epic poetry. What's your point?

All six of the original Star Wars movies draw on a wide variety of literary sources and cultural influences to comment on topics such as religion, morality, philosophy, psychology, and politics. They're far more intellectually challenging than the vast majority of mainstream films that get churned out by the industry.

Sure, the Star Wars films aren't an academic treatise. Neither is Bicycle Thieves. Does that mean Bicycle Thieves is pop philosohpical trash incapable of challenging anyone intellectually? Of course not, because the point is that it's a well made movie that is capable of inspiring vigorous discussion of its various themes and cultural referents, regardless of whether its intellectual content could ever be considered truly groundbreaking in any sort of non-cinematic context.

What would you consider to be a movie that meets your standards for being intellectually challenging? And remember, in the case of Star Wars, we're talking about movies that are designed to appeal and make sense to children as well as adults.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 1, 2016

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
You get the sense that JJ didn't have a hosed up enough childhood.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

porfiria posted:

You get the sense that JJ didn't have a hosed up enough childhood.

Well, it's not like George's childhood was particularly hosed up. Unless you count the fact that, growing up in Modesto, he was always told by his father that the expectation was for him to stay and eventually take over the family stationery store. That must have been a pretty bleak outlook for him.

I mean, Jesus. Stationery. You couldn't make this poo poo up if you tried.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

Well, it's not like George's childhood was particularly hosed up. Unless you count the fact that, growing up in Modesto, he was always told by his father that the expectation was for him to stay and eventually take over the family stationery store. That must have been a pretty bleak outlook for him.

I mean, Jesus. Stationery. You couldn't make this poo poo up if you tried.

Yeah, a stationery store would be pretty awful for someone who's so talented at fast-moving car chases and dogfights and so forth. Just brutal.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

TFA is out to purchase for digital download today.

Deleted scenes are mostly pointless, but that's how they usually go. My favorite one is where Han, Chewy, Finn, and Maz are confronted by Stormtroopers, and Han makes fun of Snoke's name.

Watching the BTS featurette now. It's over an hour long.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hope it's as good as The Phantom Menace BTS. What an amazing doc.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
It is not. :( but that is probably due to this not being a poo poo storm of a movie.

In other news Mark Hamill is going to drop a major spoiler today if he hits 1m followers on Twitter. He is at 980k now.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

wyoming posted:

Well, he's not wrong.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Bigsteve posted:

It is not. :( but that is probably due to this not being a poo poo storm of a movie.

In other news Mark Hamill is going to drop a major spoiler today if he hits 1m followers on Twitter. He is at 980k now.

That is a clever way to announce an April Fools prank.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Cnut the Great posted:

Yeah, and in 2001: A Space Odyssey Kubrick simply combined elements of Nietzschean philosophy with Homeric epic poetry. What's your point?

All six of the original Star Wars movies draw on a wide variety of literary sources and cultural influences to comment on topics such as religion, morality, philosophy, psychology, and politics. They're far more intellectually challenging than the vast majority of mainstream films that get churned out by the industry.

Sure, the Star Wars films aren't an academic treatise. Neither is Bicycle Thieves. Does that mean Bicycle Thieves is pop philosohpical trash incapable of challenging anyone intellectually? Of course not, because the point is that it's a well made movie that is capable of inspiring vigorous discussion of its various themes and cultural referents, regardless of whether its intellectual content could ever be considered truly groundbreaking in any sort of non-cinematic context.

Every single movie has political subtext. Star Wars, Nashville, Repo Man. Whatever. It's an inevitability when writing a story. My assertion isn't that Star Wars doesn't have something to say about 'religion, morality, philosophy, psychology, and politics'. I'm saying it's mostly bland, surface level stuff. Philosophy 101. Watered down and truncated. You are greatly overstating the philosophical underpinnings of these movies. Star Wars does make it's philosophy more overt so they're fun to discuss as you've shown with your excellent posts.

The Original Six might have a more complex and nuanced philosophical bent than TFA but it's marginal at best. We're splitting hairs here.

quote:

What would you consider to be a movie that meets your standards for being intellectually challenging?

Uh...Primer?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bigsteve posted:

gently caress - was totally looking forward to it. Is it just a bunch of fluff? I found the TPM one so goddamn real. It's probably the best I've ever seen - even better than the Lord of the Rings stuff.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Primer is really bad.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

wyoming posted:

Wrong. The Force Awakens was made for people like this:

Attractive suave people with financial security and healthy social lives.

The Star Wars prequels appealed to pathetic sad sacks like dis:

That last picture might be of our very own Cnut the Great

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nah, Primer is cool and good. It's just one of those things that people jerk off about so much that you forget that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Yaws posted:

Wrong. The Force Awakens was made for people like this:

Attractive suave people with financial security and healthy social lives.

The Star Wars prequels appealed to pathetic sad sacks like dis:

That last picture might be of our very own Cnut the Great

Difficult to argue with.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

feedmyleg posted:

Nah, Primer is cool and good. It's just one of those things that people jerk off about so much that you forget that.

Even without those people though I don't think it's very good. It looks and sounds like poo poo, the characters are completely uninteresting, and I think the convoluted nature of the narrative only hides how little is actually going on in it.

It's kind of amazing how much better Upstream Color is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

How many of you thread hooligans have Star Wars toys? And are they on display prominently or in boxes in the attic?

• Locked thread