Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm not saying it's never been done, but the current ui doesnt grade after every single battle like revengence or constantly like dmc. They would have to add one in the final product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

I'm not saying it's never been done, but the current ui doesnt grade after every single battle like revengence or constantly like dmc. They would have to add one in the final product.

Episode Ducase specifically has a pop-up after battle which ranks you on time, damage sustained, number of parries and gives you an experience boost afterwards based off how well you play. This is literally something in the game as-is. Platinum doesn't do it but I think it's fair to say Platinum doesn't have a lot of things.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Wait so the thread is confusing me does this game look awesome or does this game look poo poo? Which is it?

Duscae was neat but Imp Atom reminds me that the end boss fight was a total waste of time because it was purposely unwinnable and gets blown up in a cutscene

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Chaining fights together for an XP boost is fun too. The spawn rate of enemies in Duscae meant you could get insane bonuses with pretty little effort as long as you space encounters out right

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Egg on my face then. Platinum demo also has that?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Change every character to Lightning "Lightning" Farron and I think we have something here. A road trip with a bunch of Lightnings flying around in a car and having behemoth steak cookouts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Egg on my face then. Platinum demo also has that?

Nope but Platinum Demo doesn't have experience points at all or any of the core mechanics so I think it's fair to say that it not being there isn't a sign it isn't in the game.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

the platinum demo is bad and is missing a lot of features they already released in duscae, why the gently caress would they release that to the general public to build hype and keep the good demo (duscae) locked away from most people? explain your motives, square!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Attitude Indicator posted:

the platinum demo is bad and is missing a lot of features they already released in duscae, why the gently caress would they release that to the general public to build hype and keep the good demo (duscae) locked away from most people? explain your motives, square!

I'm fairly confident the reasoning is that Duscae is now very far removed from what the mechanics of the final game will be, and so even though it's miles and miles better than the Tech Demo Plus One Solo Fight With A Single Enemy I Guess that is the Platinum demo, they can't really put it out for general consumption.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

People who can't appreciate Type-0 don't deserve Duscae

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's a lot of people

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The iron giant looks very pretty, is animated very well, and has a variety of attacks so at least there's that. Shame there's no "take me to the giant" mode in Platinum after you beat it.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 1, 2016

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

For those of you that have played both Duscae and Platinum, could you give me your thoughts about your opinion of the game if the following were to occur by the time it is released on 9/30?

1. Button layout customization options are added. Options include ways to more easily move Noctis while simultaneously switching weapons/magic.
2. FPS issues are mostly fixed. "Mostly" means that the game maintains 30 FPS with very few drops.
3. Combat is better explained in a tutorial and you are given incentives to do well like they had in Duscae.

I'm just trying to get a feel for what problems really matter the most to you guys. I am also trying to see if some of the problems that are commonly complained about are the types of things that can be changed with relative easy over the next 6 months.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I just don't think the game will be a very fun action game at all, nothing they've released so far is showing they're capable of that. The game will be gorgeous and probably technically sound though

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Xavier434 posted:

For those of you that have played both Duscae and Platinum, could you give me your thoughts about your opinion of the game if the following were to occur by the time it is released on 9/30?

1. Button layout customization options are added. Options include ways to more easily move Noctis while simultaneously switching weapons/magic.
2. FPS issues are mostly fixed. "Mostly" means that the game maintains 30 FPS with very few drops.
3. Combat is better explained in a tutorial and you are given incentives to do well like they had in Duscae.

I'm just trying to get a feel for what problems really matter the most to you guys. I am also trying to see if some of the problems that are commonly complained about are the types of things that can be changed with relative easy over the next 6 months.

It'll be pretty solid, camera needs to be better and I wasn't a fan of how a lot of the sidequests were set up in Duscae but that will probably have changed. They should've given us another small sandbox for the demo rather than disconnected areas to give people a better idea about the main game

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

I think it's cause they planned out this "Uncovered" event reveal thing a while ago to generate hype, and wanted a demo or something like it that's playable (otherwise everyone would say "it's a lot of show for something not playable"), but demos are actually difficult and stressful and they are likely trying to plan out more involved things for E3/TGS that they didn't want to waste the scenarios on now. So they just whipped together something nonsensical and separate.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Xavier434 posted:

All of these things would improve them but camera control is my big complaint. Compared to other open-world style games (and third person action games, but that's a little unfair), it feels stiff and stops wanting to properly move when you're close to walls, it doesn't dynamically zoom in a satisfying way, it doesn't keep the action well-framed when you have something targeted, etc etc. The camera felt like my biggest barrier to enjoying the combat.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Just implement a DMC style system.

:yeah:

Whatever the delay is from doing, it's worth it.

"Does our Open World RPG play like Dragon's Dogma? If no, start over"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

bloodychill posted:

All of these things would improve them but camera control is my big complaint. Compared to other open-world style games (and third person action games, but that's a little unfair), it feels stiff and stops wanting to properly move when you're close to walls, it doesn't dynamically zoom in a satisfying way, it doesn't keep the action well-framed when you have something targeted, etc etc. The camera felt like my biggest barrier to enjoying the combat.

Definitely. It's zoomed in way too far for exploration, and the lock-on camera is really awkward, with the enemy constantly in the dead center of the screen and Noctis as well. It makes any fast or dramatic movements really disorienting and fighting on the stairs really terrible. Also it can't deal with walls and objects getting in the way for poo poo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

:yeah:

Whatever the delay is from doing, it's worth it.

"Does our Open World RPG play like Dragon's Dogma? If no, start over"

Holy cow I wish this game played like that. Dogma's combat with FF's penchant for ridiculous visual design would be amazing

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Xavier434 posted:

I think 1 and 3 will be fixed just by virtue of the full game not being a gutted demo. They've always done weird stuff for Final Fantasy demos, like not letting you enter menus and stuff.

2 I'm not particularly worried about because I remember the frame rate drops of Duscae, particularly the one when you're escaping the Behemoth, and think the Platinum demo was better overall but I also didn't notice any slowdown on blocks or anything.

What I did notice is that every time I'd push those blocks, the camera would jump up Noctis' rear end so I couldn't see anything until I moved away. But there was already at least one camera option in Duscae so :shrug:

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Ventana posted:

I think it's cause they planned out this "Uncovered" event reveal thing a while ago to generate hype, and wanted a demo or something like it that's playable (otherwise everyone would say "it's a lot of show for something not playable"), but demos are actually difficult and stressful and they are likely trying to plan out more involved things for E3/TGS that they didn't want to waste the scenarios on now. So they just whipped together something nonsensical and separate.

i get that, so why not release a patched duscea demo? it seems to be more accurate about how the game will actually play.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

i get that, so why not release a patched duscea demo? it seems to be more accurate about how the game will actually play.

Because Duscae was supposed to be an exclusive bonus for people who went out and bought Type-0. If they turned around and handed it out to everyone for free, they'd piss off some fans.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Tabata clarified today that there was a miscommunication on the 10 million quote. The number is a high goal for the team, but isn't the number needed to recoup costs.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Schwartzcough posted:

Because Duscae was supposed to be an exclusive bonus for people who went out and bought Type-0. If they turned around and handed it out to everyone for free, they'd piss off some fans.

I bought Type-0 for that poo poo and if someone doesn't have to go through the embarrassment and motion sickness of trying to play Type-0, they can... enjoy themselves because hell, no one should have to buy Type-0 to play Duscae.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I liked Type-0 and they patched it the motion blur pretty quickly, not that it ever really bothered me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Isn't Duscae free in Japan

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

bloodychill posted:

no one should have to buy Type-0 to play Duscae.

Even if they wanted to, they can't anymore. All the pack-in codes for Duscae expired two weeks ago

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

In Training posted:

Holy cow I wish this game played like that. Dogma's combat with FF's penchant for ridiculous visual design would be amazing

Hanging off the final boss' ballsack and furiously punching him in the dick.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Instant Grat posted:

Even if they wanted to, they can't anymore. All the pack-in codes for Duscae expired two weeks ago

I got Type-0 digitally and got Duscae with it so you didn't need a code but the Final Fantasy wikia says 'available with the digital edition "for a limited time"' so assuming now is outside that limited time, you're right.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Went to Final Symphony II today, turns out it was just as great as the first one and while VIII might not be a very good game, hearing The Landing played by a live symphonic orchestra is a heck of an experience.

Also they played Clash on the Big Bridge as an encore. :allears:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Distant Worlds last year here was also excellent :allears: It had both You're Not Alone and Roses of May, and the encore was a Sephiroth singalong.

bells frogs tonberries
in a bear, magic cheese
sephiroth

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

In Training posted:

I just don't think the game will be a very fun action game at all, nothing they've released so far is showing they're capable of that. The game will be gorgeous and probably technically sound though

Its OK, XV-2 will solve this.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Looking forward to Noctis Returns, personally.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
I would buy Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XV

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think they are trying to make this into an action title, it's meant to be an RPG. It's just not turn-based.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Looking forward to Noctis Returns, personally.

can't wait for his purse advertisement gig

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
$90 for the collector's edition (or, rather, the diet collector's edition) seems pretty excessive since it's just the stupid movie tie in. $30 is a lot for a movie prequel to a video game with Aaron Paul in it. It's almost tempting with Amazon Prime's discount, which has it dropped to a nice $72, far more reasonable. It does have an artbook, but I have a strange feeling it's gonna turn out to be like five pages long or something stupid like that. I've been burnt by collectible art books before. If it's nice, though, that's pretty decent.

EDIT: Oh no it doesn't have an artbook. It has a steel book, or a tin case to put the game in. Misread that description, indeed. Well. Seems like a poo poo deal then for an anime movie.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 2, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's anime bluray movie pricing :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I hope when FF15 hits PC finally someone makes a mod that replaces one of the guys with Jesse Pinkman.