Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

ukle posted:

(although channel 5's web content probably only has 1 user a minute, so would probably fall over if they had something worth watching on it.).
I skipped the Walking Dead entirely because Channel 5 were showing it so I automatically concluded it was going to be awful.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Brainwrong posted:

Channel 4's online service is essentially just a streaming ad service.

And a pile of poo poo.

I just attempted to watch FP1 on their catchup service, watched the first set of ads, got through the intro and then noticed i'd have to watch five more sets of ads for 1hr30min of video. gently caress that.

Sky go works well live apart from using some stupid microsoft plugin that microsoft no longer support and it sometimes causes my macbook to melt sky go is also poo poo but it doesnt have 9000 ads.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Hey guys I just heard crazy news! Alonso is alive!

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
Bernie's got some good ideas to shake up qualifying:

"A couple of ideas – either a ballot, which they [the teams] don't like, which is not very sophisticated.

"Or I suggest leave qualifying exactly as it is and don't touch it and then add a time on. So if somebody is on pole, you can take the results of the previous race or the championship, and add two or three seconds or whatever the amount is, to the time of the qualifying.

"You will find maybe the guy who is on pole would be 10th on the grid or eighth, and that will go all the way down."

Obviously when I say "good ideas" I mean that he's opened his mouth and a tsunami of effluent has erupted out all over the nearest journalists. Still, it's better than the current format.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
My vote is always with random sprinklers (secretly but obviously controlled by Bernie or his daughter) during qualifying.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Bernie has to have like months left right? We just have to hold our breath and it'll be over soon.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I still don't get why they are so hell-bent on changing qualifying. It worked just fine!.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh god. Bernie is explaining why he's trying to introduce all this really random poo poo and it's because when he goes to watch a sport he does not want to know the result beforehand

What sport is he thinking of? You don't go to see Man U vs the Girl Guides under 12s and go "oh my goodness, I wonder who the winner will be!?"

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
y'all will be pining for Bernie after Trump takes over F1. "Make F1 great again!"

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Keyser S0ze posted:

y'all will be pining for Bernie after Trump takes over F1. "Make F1 great again!"

Perez and Gutierrez have to stay on one side of the pit wall

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Brainwrong posted:

Bernie's got some good ideas to shake up qualifying:

"A couple of ideas – either a ballot, which they [the teams] don't like, which is not very sophisticated.

"Or I suggest leave qualifying exactly as it is and don't touch it and then add a time on. So if somebody is on pole, you can take the results of the previous race or the championship, and add two or three seconds or whatever the amount is, to the time of the qualifying.

"You will find maybe the guy who is on pole would be 10th on the grid or eighth, and that will go all the way down."

Obviously when I say "good ideas" I mean that he's opened his mouth and a tsunami of effluent has erupted out all over the nearest journalists. Still, it's better than the current format.

i'd love to know what he's really after because these are the worst ideas i could ever imagine and completely undermine the existence of F1 as a competition

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I legitimately don't understand what he's even suggesting. Is it just for the guy on pole? Because then no one would want pole. But he then says "and that will go all the way down." so I don't really get it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I wonder if he really has gone loopy and no one wants to say anything because they think he could be bluffing as part of a bigger plan.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

pik_d posted:

I legitimately don't understand what he's even suggesting. Is it just for the guy on pole? Because then no one would want pole. But he then says "and that will go all the way down." so I don't really get it.

by "ballot" i assume he means fan voting, which doesn't even merit a response. and his other suggestion would assign time penalties based on results in the prior race or season. e.g. rosberg won the last race, so you add 3 seconds to his qualifying time, and then add decreasing penalties all the way down the order so the fastest cars are penalized the most and thus shake up the starting grid. not only is this a childish solution and, again, antithetical to the entire idea of a competition, it also fails to take into account the fact that teams are NOT going to just say, "ok, we'll win race 1 and then be really aggressive and entertaining in race 2 to work our way back from our penalty." it's just going to be a strategy hell where there becomes an ideal finishing spot that balances points with penalty seconds and the likelihood of achieving a good result in the next race. this is the opposite of good.

e: it would turn F1 into small-ball baseball

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Bernie's thinking is simple as its ARGH!!! PANIC driven due to Mercedes are competing again for the WDC on their own. So he is trying to get some way to force the Merc's to start down the grid so that they will at least have to overtake a few cars for the first few laps of the race. Its a stupid idea all caused due to the stupid rules, which he has allowed as under the current way the rules are defined he has little say as Ferrari just Veto's anything which could hurt them.

The thing is Ferrari might not veto these stupid ideas as it could mean they win a race or 2, that's assuming Vettel has remembered how to stop people overtaking him. So if he can convince a few teams, including Ferrari, to his silly plan he might actually get it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

No you see the right way is, everyone gets a chance at pole, it rotates around race by race.

STR gets the front row at Hungaroring.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Bernie is panicking because ratings keep dropping and that's gonna gently caress with his Scrooge McDuck-like vault.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Old people do tend to get flustered, scared and confused at the slightest little upset and over react react badly. My gran is 89 and has had British gas home care out about 50 times this winter because she's confused by how the boiler works. It is interesting that my grandma's opinions would hold a hell of a lot of weight in the middle east and people would have to do what she told them to do just because she is very old.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Btw the fact that the FIA missed Alonso's injury in Melbourne proves the former F1 doc right once again.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
written last week

quote:

It started for me in 2008, with my demotion and replacement by someone who not only had never cared for an accident victim of any sort, but had only ever attended two or three races . . . as a spectator. At the time, I was told by the president of the FIA Medical Commission, “We still need your knowledge and experience, though. You’re our life insurance policy.” Can’t be clearer than that, eh? We need to wait a few years for the consequences to play out, but they do, and the price is awful.

F1 = shambles

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

nsaP posted:

I'm about to ignore a few posters and wicka isn't one of them.
Sounds like somebody can't handle the worst thread. Maybe you should try NASCAR?

If you know what I mean fellas

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I'd honestly support assigning grid positions via a lottery.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Broken ribs are really hard to spot sometimes, especially if you're more concerned about more potentially serious injuries. When I smashed my shoulder into a million pieces I had lots of x-rays and CTs and they only realised I'd broken some ribs on a follow up x-ray a month later.

They detected it before he got in a car again, so what exactly has gone wrong?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
How about we have three sessions in qualifying. The slowest five people are knocked out at the end of the first session, and then the last session determines the order of the top 10. I think it would work because the best set up for qualifying is often not the best set up for the race so if we don't allow changes after qualifying then people who have set up to get higher up the grid at the start could end up handicapped in the race. Thoughts? Is this too wild and crazy to work and make "the fans" confused?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Tsaedje posted:

Broken ribs are really hard to spot sometimes, especially if you're more concerned about more potentially serious injuries. When I smashed my shoulder into a million pieces I had lots of x-rays and CTs and they only realised I'd broken some ribs on a follow up x-ray a month later.

pneumothorax presents immediately after a traumatic rib injury and shows up on x-rays.

edit: in fairness to the staff we don't know if he told them he had pain in his rib area or lied his arse off to get out of there as quickly as possible as he thought it was just a bruise and they would waste his time on unnecessary x-rays and scans.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 1, 2016

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
How about 12 laps or 1 hour?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Tsaedje posted:

If it had been detected on time he might have recovered, he also went two weeks without knowing he had a broken rib in which time anything could've happened.

FIA are negligent and McLaren and Alonso could easily sue them imho.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

learnincurve posted:

How about we have three sessions in qualifying. The slowest five people are knocked out at the end of the first session, and then the last session determines the order of the top 10. I think it would work because the best set up for qualifying is often not the best set up for the race so if we don't allow changes after qualifying then people who have set up to get higher up the grid at the start could end up handicapped in the race. Thoughts? Is this too wild and crazy to work and make "the fans" confused?

how about 45 minutes of free-for-all

no stupid bullshit, just 45 minutes of qualifying with zero frills

fastest time gets pole, second fastest gets the other position etc.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Triple A posted:

That's way too straightforward and makes too much sense for F1, we can't have that here.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
one of the problems we have with suddenly going back to a hour long session and also one of the problems with new poo poo quali is that one of the reasons the tyres are made like they are is because Pirelli were given parameters that had the three stage old quali format factored in. If you want cars to spend more time on track doing laps that burn out tyres quickly then you need to give them a enormous quantity of tyres, or tyres with very hard compounds, neither of these things can be magicked out of thin air. Pirelli need at least a month warning to produce more of existing tyres and a new super hard tyre will take a year to develop.

It's the same thing that's happened with the brakes with the 2017 regulations, people who make the brakes looked at them and went "er..."

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
The 3 stage format also allows TV channels to cut to commercials so that's also why they won't get rid of it and it's actually the main reason it was implemented in the first place.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Triple A posted:

because none of the faster teams would run until the last 10-15 minutes.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

learnincurve posted:

pneumothorax presents immediately after a traumatic rib injury and shows up on x-rays.

edit: in fairness to the staff we don't know if he told them he had pain in his rib area or lied his arse off to get out of there as quickly as possible as he thought it was just a bruise and they would waste his time on unnecessary x-rays and scans.

Does he actually have pneumothorax? I thought they were letting the ribs heal to make sure he didn't get it, not that he already did.
Another anecdote: a friend of mine got a pneumothorax on a friday night, but decided it was just really bad heartburn and he could wait until monday to see his GP, GP's face on monday morning was a picture apparently as he sent my mate straight to A&E.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tsaedje posted:

When I broke my rib karting I only realized something was wrong when I couldn't breath deep without it hurting the next day, even then I just thought I'd bruised them and it was only when it still hurt two months later I figured they were broken. I can totally see how you'd miss that immediately after the initial crash.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

El Hefe posted:

If it had been detected on time he might have recovered, he also went two weeks without knowing he had a broken rib in which time anything could've happened.

FIA are negligent and McLaren and Alonso could easily sue them imho.

There is no magic recovery for cracked ribs, recovery is same as for bruised ribs only longer 4-6 weeks so he may not be racing at the next one either (I cracked mine over New Year and was still feeling it come February), if they had broken ie splintered they'd have seen it straight away and he would certainly have known about it

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

1500quidporsche posted:

When I broke my rib karting I only realized something was wrong when I couldn't breath deep without it hurting the next day, even then I just thought I'd bruised them and it was only when it still hurt two months later I figured they were broken. I can totally see how you'd miss that immediately after the initial crash.

You'd miss that and be excused, but not an actual team of doctors treating professional drivers in a worldwide sport.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

djssniper posted:

There is no magic recovery for cracked ribs, recovery is same as for bruised ribs only longer 4-6 weeks so he may not be racing at the next one either (I cracked mine over New Year and was still feeling it come February), if they had broken ie splintered they'd have seen it straight away and he would certainly have known about it

They are not cracked, he has a bruise.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

learnincurve posted:

one of the problems we have with suddenly going back to a hour long session and also one of the problems with new poo poo quali is that one of the reasons the tyres are made like they are is because Pirelli were given parameters that had the three stage old quali format factored in. If you want cars to spend more time on track doing laps that burn out tyres quickly then you need to give them a enormous quantity of tyres, or tyres with very hard compounds, neither of these things can be magicked out of thin air. Pirelli need at least a month warning to produce more of existing tyres and a new super hard tyre will take a year to develop.

It's the same thing that's happened with the brakes with the 2017 regulations, people who make the brakes looked at them and went "er..."

pretty certain developing mass production techniques for existing rubber is a preferable priority over developing a bridgestone

besides, it would actually have something with real benefits to other industries that isn't just marketing related

i'd be open for half-hour sessions but that's about the minimum i'd go with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yes. The timeline is being a bit warped in this thread. We know he went to the medical centre after the crash, but was out in the paddock 20 mins later. He flew back home to Abu Dhabi sunday night but the pain in his ribs was getting worse so he went to the hospital on the Monday. They detected the pneumothorax (collapsed lung) and rib injuries on x ray. He was told to rest and went back the next (this) Monday and was told his lung was cleared but his ribs were still fractured. edit: when an injury is explained to me Fractured means snapped and does usually show up on x-rays, cracked means they are split and weakened which is the more common injury as ribs are quite bendy and can easily be missed. He was then very surprised on Thursday when the FIA said no you can't race with fractured ribs.

So either he lied about having rib pain or the doctor thought that it was unimportant and didn't make him have an x-ray

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 2, 2016

• Locked thread