Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

BaseballPCHiker posted:

There are just a lot of specific commandlets to Exchange. If you are already comfortable with powershell it'll just be a matter of learning those. That and hoping that your predecessor didn't do a bunch of dumb poo poo.

Hmm alright, I figured there'd be some decent guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kashuno posted:

so google's April Fools joke for this year was to add "google mic drop" to gmail. Basically, it adds a loving gif of a minion dropping a mic, and you are removed from the email thread completely. Even if people respond to your email, you will not get the reply.

they replaced the "send+archive" button with that. Needless to say, it has had very very bad results, and it has been taken down.

Where even is the Send + Archive button in Gmail?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kashuno posted:

so google's April Fools joke for this year was to add "google mic drop" to gmail. Basically, it adds a loving gif of a minion dropping a mic, and you are removed from the email thread completely. Even if people respond to your email, you will not get the reply.

they replaced the "send+archive" button with that. Needless to say, it has had very very bad results, and it has been taken down.

Holy lol

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Where even is the Send + Archive button in Gmail?

Labs, because it's far too useful to put in the main screen.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Would pay for Google Mic drop

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I would like the feature, legitimately, but without the gif. Just remove me from spammy email threads quietly.

Thanks.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

go3 posted:

Would pay for Google Mic drop

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

H110Hawk posted:

Labs, because it's far too useful to put in the main screen.
The button used to be right on the compose window, but they took it down after about an hour.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
:yotj:

Going from a general help desk position to a junior sysadmin position in a nearby local government organization. I'll have to move out of my parents' place and pay rent but a 60% raise (From $35k/yr to $55k/yr) and health insurance with no premium is nice. Plus, hopefully I won't be bored out of my loving mind at work all day now. Definitely glad I didn't take those contract jobs I was offered last month.

This time in 2014, I was delivering pizza, so, I'm pretty happy.

high six fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 1, 2016

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

high six posted:

:yotj:

Going from a general help desk position to a junior sysadmin position in a nearby local government organization. I'll have to move out of my parents' place and pay rent but a 60% raise (From $35k/yr to $55k/yr) and health insurance with no premium is nice. Plus, hopefully I won't be bored out of my loving mind at work all day now. Definitely glad I didn't take those contract jobs I was offered last month.

:laffo: good luck. Junior sysadmin for the government will be 90% sitting on your rear end wondering what you'll do for the next 5 hours.

But really congrats that's an awesome pay increase, a cushy job with giant blocks of time to study, and job stability out the rear end.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

:laffo: good luck. Junior sysadmin for the government will be 90% sitting on your rear end wondering what you'll do for the next 5 hours.

But really congrats that's an awesome pay increase, a cushy job with giant blocks of time to study, and job stability out the rear end.

I went from being super busy 2 years ago at my current gig to basically doing nothing for 7 hours a day and I am a SR admin. So much is automated or monitored that basically the only tasks I do anymore are proactive patching/auditing/upgrading.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Hopefully I'll have a good bit to do because the head engineer was talking about a hopeful migration of some stuff to the butt. I've got plenty of time to study at my current job but I've kinda been struggling with existential angst because I have about 20 minutes of work to do every day (And it's just paperwork, not IT related) and am stagnating here. I'm hoping this will help me get some of my enthusiasm for the field back. On a related note, anyone know any good primers for VMware View stuff? I've worked with servers but never VMware remote desktops and that's what they use at this job so I wanna get a head start.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

high six posted:

Hopefully I'll have a good bit to do because the head engineer was talking about a hopeful migration of some stuff to the butt. I've got plenty of time to study at my current job but I've kinda been struggling with existential angst because I have about 20 minutes of work to do every day (And it's just paperwork, not IT related) and am stagnating here. I'm hoping this will help me get some of my enthusiasm for the field back. On a related note, anyone know any good primers for VMware View stuff? I've worked with servers but never VMware remote desktops and that's what they use at this job so I wanna get a head start.

The hosted VMware lab is a good starter for it.

http://www.vmware.com/products/horizon-view/horizon6-hol

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Serious about the sitting all day doing nothing part. God I wasted so much time at work I could have knocked out a MCSA, CCNA, and a VCP with all the spare time I had.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Methanar posted:

The hosted VMware lab is a good starter for it.

http://www.vmware.com/products/horizon-view/horizon6-hol

Sweet, thanks.

quote:

Serious about the sitting all day doing nothing part. God I wasted so much time at work I could have knocked out a MCSA, CCNA, and a VCP with all the spare time I had.

Yeahhhh. Same here. It got to be where I just dreaded coming into work in my windowless office and just having nothing to do all day.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I applied for a job at a local hospital as a jr sys admin. Pay would be a 70-80% increase. But I really don't want to leave the place i'm at now. However i'm still an external worker at the place i'm currently at. There's this big plan this year to create room so I can get hired internally. But that gives me no security at all. What if their plan doesn't work. I'm just feeling so conflicted about this. I'd love to work here internally. I'd be loving ecstatic about that. Pay would increase about the same, so that's covered. I have the freedom to learn. I have fun projects to work with. But I really want to have a secure job. I want to buy a house.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sefal posted:

I applied for a job at a local hospital as a jr sys admin. Pay would be a 70-80% increase. But I really don't want to leave the place i'm at now. However i'm still an external worker at the place i'm currently at. There's this big plan this year to create room so I can get hired internally. But that gives me no security at all. What if their plan doesn't work. I'm just feeling so conflicted about this. I'd love to work here internally. I'd be loving ecstatic about that. Pay would increase about the same, so that's covered. I have the freedom to learn. I have fun projects to work with. But I really want to have a secure job. I want to buy a house.

If there is one thing that I've learned from occasionally rubbing elbows with corporate bigwigs its that if they really wanted you they would've already made it happen. No quarterly/yearly budget modifications to wait on, no waiting on HR bs, etc. If they really valued you that highly they would make the offer now and figure out the internal details later.

EDIT: Just as a specific example of this I'm reminded of a sales vp my last company had that they really liked who was working as a contractor. He had another offer and put in his notice that he wouldn't be renewing and IT got his termination notice. Within a day we got the notice that he was being brought on as a full time permanent employee.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 1, 2016

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
In a strange turn of events my boss came by my office, closed my door and gave me a $5k bonus check. She then said she wanted to schedule a meeting to "catch up" with my task list, the one we last met about 1 year ago. That check is the first and only job performance feedback I've had since I started here. It's bizarre.

I made a reminder for Monday to dig up the list because I can barely remember what was on it.

On the job search front I have a couple of recruiters asking to get updated resumes, including the guy that helped me get this job.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Dick Trauma posted:

In a strange turn of events my boss came by my office, closed my door and gave me a $5k bonus check. She then said she wanted to schedule a meeting to "catch up" with my task list, the one we last met about 1 year ago. That check is the first and only job performance feedback I've had since I started here. It's bizarre.

I made a reminder for Monday to dig up the list because I can barely remember what was on it.

On the job search front I have a couple of recruiters asking to get updated resumes, including the guy that helped me get this job.

realtalk they probably decided to replace you, went out interviewing, and found that no one competent would work for whatever salary they're paying you so they realized they needed to make you like them before you cottoned on and got the gently caress out.

I guess it's the Bay Area in me talking but $5k one-time bonus is like "eh....great you paid my rent this month, that's nice I guess".

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I like money but after a year of this nonsense this check is otherwise meaningless. I have no intention of staying here.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Potato Alley posted:

I guess it's the Bay Area in me talking but $5k one-time bonus is like "eh....great you paid my rent this month, that's nice I guess".

Sure it's an amazing city but gently caress if anyone can afford to live there. The next dotcom city should be like Detroit. There's plenty of power. A company could buy a whole neighborhood and give them free houses for what it costs to pay someone to live in San fransico area.

We can call it omnicorp.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Only if they are a robotics company that specializes in AI police or AI criminals.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

Only if they are a robotics company that specializes in AI police or AI criminals.

Taytweets will live

mewse
May 2, 2006

I was telling everyone at work about how they turned Tay back on and the first thing she tweeted was about smoking kush in front of cops and they were like "poo poo poo poo turn it back off!!"

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
fart

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 23, 2018

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Chickenwalker posted:

Is talking to HR about difficulties you're having with your supervisor ever a good thing? What if your direct report is a VP or SVP?

How big is your company? And no.

E: unless it's sexual harassment. Then yes and when they do fire you make sure you recorded every conversation and hire a lawyer.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Chickenwalker posted:

Is talking to HR about difficulties you're having with your supervisor ever a good thing? What if your direct report is a VP or SVP?

That isn't HR's purpose and it won't benefit you at all in most companies.

HR purpose:

1. Set policies and standards to make suing the company harder.
2. Recruiting
3. Protecting the best interest of the company in general against employees.

HR is rarely your friend in any situation. Hell, telling HR about another employee in power doing something illegal is more likely to get you fired while giving them a head-start in the litigation process.

Edit* To be less cynical the level of success is going to vary mostly based on who the person that is in the wrong. Someone of the same level of lower might be worth bringing up. Someone above you or gasp, an exec, you should be talking to a lawyer before you talk to hr.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 2, 2016

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
fart

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 23, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's not worth it unless the company is already aware of a problem. Find a new place.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Do not do this.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Resume for help desk: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fQJHXWJsWyEC5OZ3emp-v7I2_0aPimCRtCO6v3KNkLc/edit?usp=sharing

Is it that bad? I've been applying to jobs via Indeed and Dice but so far no replies. Also directly on their site for IT support companies but it's soo dead.

located in NYC so I know it's not location but slowly wondering if I'm just cursed

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Chickenwalker posted:

200-300 employees. It's not harassment, it's just that I'm constantly obstructed in doing my job and implementing basic systems because of uninformed opinions based on something they read in Ars Technica 5 years ago. It was a last ditch effort to try to see if there was a path forward, but if things aren't ever going to change it's time for me to start looking elsewhere.

Yeah. Honestly HR best example is Toby from the office. He doesn't care. Got a complaint it goes in the complaint bucket. Unless it's racism or sexual harassment.

Just bolt. Update the resume and move on. That vp won't get fired or change his ways until he's found to be inept and since it's only 200-300 employees I'm sure he's good old buddies with the rest of your leadership team.

Or become the dick trauma and just suffer under it. Whatever it's your career.

E: the thread must always have 1 Dick trauma even if it's not the original dick trauma.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 2, 2016

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
fart

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 23, 2018

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Chickenwalker posted:

Well if I get fired for it I can at least sue for retaliatory discharge right?

Sure. Watch the movie Philadelphia before you go down that route. Or that one with Demi Moore sexually harassing Gordon gecko.

Now maybe it's the rear end in a top hat in me talking but if this guy is screwing you to where your IT infrastructure will fail because of something you failed to implement because of him. Send him and someone else higher up the email and then uhm let it fail.

You're still out of a job but you covered your bases. It's best to just move on though imho.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 2, 2016

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Alder posted:

Resume for help desk: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fQJHXWJsWyEC5OZ3emp-v7I2_0aPimCRtCO6v3KNkLc/edit?usp=sharing

Is it that bad? I've been applying to jobs via Indeed and Dice but so far no replies. Also directly on their site for IT support companies but it's soo dead.

located in NYC so I know it's not location but slowly wondering if I'm just cursed

It's bad. It needs a complete revamp. More detials, more...things. You will also need an A+ cert to get in somewhere based on that experience.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SaltLick posted:

It's bad. It needs a complete revamp. More detials, more...things. You will also need an A+ cert to get in somewhere based on that experience.

Uh I'm working on my N+ if that counts? The A+ costs a bit esp for a entry-lvl cert and I'd need to take 2x exams.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Chickenwalker posted:

200-300 employees. It's not harassment, it's just that I'm constantly obstructed in doing my job and implementing basic systems because of uninformed opinions based on something they read in Ars Technica 5 years ago. It was a last ditch effort to try to see if there was a path forward, but if things aren't ever going to change it's time for me to start looking elsewhere.

Chickenwalker posted:

Well if I get fired for it I can at least sue for retaliatory discharge right?

Oh my sweet summer child.

1. Its not your problem. Whatever it is, it isn't important enough for you to go to HR over. Make memos, CYA, let it go. You tried, someone else shot it down, collect your check and move on.

2. They won't fire you, not while it could cost them money. They will just passive-aggressively turn your work life into such hell that your performance will either nosedive so far they can fire you for cause and deny you unemployment; or wait until the misery drives you to quit, and then deny you unemployment.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm actually really glad Chickenwalker brought up his issue, because I have a similar one with a director level who I wouldn't put out if he was on fire. I mean we're talking "I have daydreamed about making it a condition of my employment that I do not have to interact with him" level of preoccupying hate. The conversation in the thread lets me know that I need to just suck it up and ignore him completely until I leave. Luckily in my situation he's not preventing me from doing my job, it's more "making the percentage of my job which overlaps with his duties a nightmare".

Alder posted:

Uh I'm working on my N+ if that counts? The A+ costs a bit esp for a entry-lvl cert and I'd need to take 2x exams.
Working on something never counts. God do I hate when I get a resume which says certifications "in progress" - there are two states - having the cert and not. I'm not lashing out at you, but you can expect this to be the prevailing attitude.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I completely get what you're saying but would you think the same of someone still in college that has an expected graduation? I've seen plenty of resume advice mention to put expected graduation since it shows you are pursuing education in some manner so why not the same with certs?

What would be worse to see? Expected MCSA completion or seeing MCP certified since that's only 1 exam completed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Working on something never counts. God do I hate when I get a resume which says certifications "in progress" - there are two states - having the cert and not. I'm not lashing out at you, but you can expect this to be the prevailing attitude.

Yes I understand completely hence my resume just has w/e I can pull together from work exp. Also I don't like mentioning in-progress certs I don't have since this is a good way to kill a interview.