Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I think TitS is my new favorite game acronym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Pavlov posted:

I think TitS is my new favorite

Me 2

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Have you tried hunter x hunter

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Meowbot posted:

I haven't really ever watched anime in my life but my friend was like hey you need tow atch some anime and recommended a bunch of shows to me (tokyo ghoul, ergo proxy, gungrave, count of monte crisco) but I'm not really sure if I will like any of that.

Things that I have watched recently and enjoyed were Black Lagoon and well thats pretty much it, I like things with guns and I do like a little bit of comedy but the thing I like the most important is the art style I am not a fan of cutesy art (I like cute things but not chibi I guess?)...

Old anime I used to really enjoy or remember enjoying were more violent things for eample I Remember SPriggan but I also really liked the humor in Slayers! and haven't found an anime as fun as that yet.

Any suggestions what I would like? Would I like something like Gunslinger girls or Canaan possibly Angel Beats after lookign at some other anime lists online?

I like a good story too but hell I can't remember if Black Laggoon had a great story or not. Sorry im not very good at this anime thing! Help please

Things important to me:

engaging story (not a zzz fest), funny female characters (like Revy from black lagoon), guns, really beautiful art, serious / grittier type of setting

It seems everything is about being in school and interacting with people. What happened to violently shooting people in the face to solve our differences?

k-on

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What do I watch if I DO want a zzz fest

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

k-on

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

the non non byori meme

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Meowbot posted:

I haven't really ever watched anime in my life but my friend was like hey you need tow atch some anime and recommended a bunch of shows to me (tokyo ghoul, ergo proxy, gungrave, count of monte crisco) but I'm not really sure if I will like any of that.

Things that I have watched recently and enjoyed were Black Lagoon and well thats pretty much it, I like things with guns and I do like a little bit of comedy but the thing I like the most important is the art style I am not a fan of cutesy art (I like cute things but not chibi I guess?)...

Old anime I used to really enjoy or remember enjoying were more violent things for eample I Remember SPriggan but I also really liked the humor in Slayers! and haven't found an anime as fun as that yet.

Any suggestions what I would like? Would I like something like Gunslinger girls or Canaan possibly Angel Beats after lookign at some other anime lists online?

I like a good story too but hell I can't remember if Black Laggoon had a great story or not. Sorry im not very good at this anime thing! Help please

Things important to me:

engaging story (not a zzz fest), funny female characters (like Revy from black lagoon), guns, really beautiful art, serious / grittier type of setting

It seems everything is about being in school and interacting with people. What happened to violently shooting people in the face to solve our differences?

Baccano sounds right up your alley.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Baccano is real good I second that

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is Seraph of the End(manga) any good? Friend of mine cosplayed as a character in it and recommended it to me. I've heard the name before but never checked it out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Is Seraph of the End(manga) any good? Friend of mine cosplayed as a character in it and recommended it to me. I've heard the name before but never checked it out.

Only watched the anime, but I hear they're pretty close to each other (as in, the anime ended pretty much at the last translated chapter).

It's very much dumb fun. Think Attack on Titan, but sillier and more shamelessly campy, with some extremely blatant baiting around the two beautiful, conflicted male leads for the fangirls. The biggest draws were the action (when the production scheduling wasn't making GBS threads the bed), the female lead, who's both a total badass and a glorious, lovable trolling rear end in a top hat, and the sense of camaraderie among the knuckleheaded teens who make up the main cast. Certainly not a traditionally good show, though (you know, one of those ones with a compelling plot, thought-provoking themes, or the tiniest iota of subtlety), and (as hinted at above) it suffers from Studio Wit's usual production woes near the end of its first season.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Meowbot posted:

Things important to me:

Princess Tutu has enough of these things for you to get into it, I think.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

I watched the first season of the anime and it was fun enough. I've had the manga recommended to me if I wanted to see the male leads hold each other oh-so-close.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I watched the first season of the anime and it was fun enough. I've had the manga recommended to me if I wanted to see the male leads hold each other oh-so-close.

From what I've seen, the anime is actually a little gayer, and covers all the same material.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

From what I've seen, the anime is actually a little gayer, and covers all the same material.

nice

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

i watched the anime and it was alright. they have stylish outfits. you could definitely do worse. most of my problems with it were probably specific to the anime (80% of the action scenes were pretty lackluster, and then once every 3-5 episodes a really good one would happen)

then again, the cool demon effects were probably specific to the anime too. that sweet visual effect was more responsible for me watching the anime than it probably should've been.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
the vampires are pretty stylin', the ija look hideous. black and neon green do not go together

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Since in the first place a big reason I wind up reading manga is downtime at work I said gently caress it and read on further in My Hero Academia and it's fiiiiiiine. My main gripes before was that the MC was exceedingly pathetic and it felt like the story beats were going to be set up where it was just a neverending series of tests/games in the classes, where said MC has to barely scrap by, but it seems like it's gotten past that already and now he's not only a fairly well integrated cog in the class's group dynamic but also the class is getting a chance to actually do stuff as a team by fighting actual villains. I kind of expected that this sort of MC would wind up a loner type who is only given the time of day by the gravity girl but with them more or less all accepting one another (even the rear end in a top hat rival, kind of) the character interactions and teamwork is much more interesting and compelling. Obviously this would have happened eventually in a story like this but I expected based on the introductory chapters that it would take a long time and I just didn't know if I had the patience for it. It'll be nice to have something other than One Piece to read with my WSJ subscription.

The frog girl is cool. I like her the most so far.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
MHA moves at a rather breakneck pace compared to most shonen.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Does anyone know any good animes about card games that aren't Yu-Gi-Oh?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Chihayafuru

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

MHA moves at a rather breakneck pace compared to most shonen.

Yeah, this is one of the big draws. It cuts out a hell of a lot of the padded-out bullshit of its genre.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Chihayafuru

Seconding this.

...I want season 3 :(

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

Chihayafuru

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

VolticSurge posted:

Cake Attack posted:

Chihayafuru

Just so you know, the cardgame itself is really boring. The show is mostly about gawking at the card slappers players.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ignore this^^ man

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
He's just a really big Yugioh fan, and hell, we should respect that.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm making an anime combining the rules of karuta + yu-gi-oh no one steal my idea

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm making an anime combining the rules of karuta + yu-gi-oh no one steal my idea

It's been done, or at least some goon tried to combine the two into some playable game at one point.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Brb starting kickstarter for pop-culture based karuta varient.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

I like Selector Infected WIXOSS. It's an anime/card game selling franchise. I can't say it makes me want to buy their merchandise, but the anime is worth watching.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Van Dine posted:

I like Selector Infected WIXOSS. It's an anime/card game selling franchise. I can't say it makes me want to buy their merchandise, but the anime is worth watching.

Can't watch it on Crunchyroll,probably because I live in Canada. :canada:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

Can't watch it on Crunchyroll,probably because I live in Canada. :canada:

wait does canada actually have different licensing on CR then America?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wixoss isn't available on Crunchyroll at all, at least for the US. It's not in Canada, the UK, or Australia either judging by because.moe

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Wixoss is a bad show with no internal consistency.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

Wixoss isn't available on Crunchyroll at all, at least for the US. It's not in Canada, the UK, or Australia either judging by because.moe

So,are there any (preferably legal) alternatives?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

VolticSurge posted:

So,are there any (preferably legal) alternatives?

Uh, do proxy shenanigans count as legal? It's on Hulu.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

For Canadians if you're not a paid subscriber then older titles aren't available but that's about it afaik

Srice fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 5, 2016

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Cake Attack posted:

I want to say there have been some shows licensed in the US, but not Canada, but I can't remember them right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Windows doesn't really go into the details of the game much. I watched the entire first season and I can't really say what rules the game has. The ani.e is more about the dark magic surrounding the game itself and the young women who get caught up it.