Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The thing is that because of time being relative, presumably boredom would probably set in, and no one sle would even notice they took forever to DnD turn. Heck, the majority of the side that took forever to end then probably wouldn't notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
New comic.

The little detail of Parson getting a milk carton with his own picture made me chuckle. Also, if that last image is any indication, it looks like the Transylvito power struggle plot is about to come to the fore.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I really like Jack and Parson's relationship. It's consistently a series high point.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I've really liked the last few updates from a characterization perspective, especially seeing from Charlie's POV, but jesus christ this chapter is juggling way way way way too many plotlines.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Probably action points or something.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Text update! Don't despair, it's all about Caesar who is the coolest dude in Trasnylvito.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Rygar201 posted:

Text update! Don't despair, it's all about Caesar who is the coolest dude in Trasnylvito.

That's a funy way to spell Vinny :colbert:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Aumanor posted:

That's a funy way to spell Vinny :colbert:

Vinny isn't in Trasnylvito right now, and is coming down with a bad case of Captain SaveAHo on top of it

Jillian stay fuckin up, and Vinny needs to sever :goonsay:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
...holy poo poo, Stanley.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Stanley is awesome, full stop.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Didn't Sizemore estimate the bracer alone was worth a million? And summoning Parson cost 350k and has paid for itself several times over. So assuming it includes all their effects, that's actually a pretty fair trade.

It obviously could've been a lot better, but getting Parson back ASAP before they can interrogate or turn him is probably worth it. Of course, it would be way too easy if they just went through with the deal like this.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I'm wondering if this sort of deal making counts as some kind of natural contract magic and they actually are bound to it now, it isn't a matter of choice?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Stanley is legit the best character in this comic (after Lilith, of course). He's got the sort of reckless stupidity that keeps ruining everyone's plans because he's not supposed to take this stupid option, and then he does.

Oh poo poo, Stanley is pretty much Aesma. (mythical figure from Kill Six Billion Demons who's never stops being a little poo poo which is also the source of her power.)

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

It looks like he knew exactly what he was doing

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Stanley makes up his own rules and Erfworld accommodates. Maybe because he has the hammer? Some sort of primal carnymancy.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It looks like he knew exactly what he was doing

Let's dispel with the notion that Stanley doesn't know what he's doing

Idran posted:

I'm wondering if this sort of deal making counts as some kind of natural contract magic and they actually are bound to it now, it isn't a matter of choice?

Maybe, although I think if that were the case Stanley wouldn't need him to "draw it up". It seems like Natural Signamancy in the contract sense requires physical contact, like Wanda and Marie spitting on their hands to indicate a preliminary negotiation before the last fight, or pinkie swears.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Carrasco posted:

Didn't Sizemore estimate the bracer alone was worth a million? And summoning Parson cost 350k and has paid for itself several times over. So assuming it includes all their effects, that's actually a pretty fair trade.

It obviously could've been a lot better, but getting Parson back ASAP before they can interrogate or turn him is probably worth it. Of course, it would be way too easy if they just went through with the deal like this.

The money isn't relevant, that's the point. He just saw how many millions come and go in the space of a single skirmish? He knows he can get the 2 mil back. But he needs Parson and Wanda to do it, and to get Wanda he's going to need Parson, immediately. It's a pretty basic calculation since he has all the facts, and the shortest line between where he is and where he wants to be happened to involve the opportunity to gently caress with Don (and eventually Parson)

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

Stanley is legit the best character in this comic (after Lilith, of course). He's got the sort of reckless stupidity that keeps ruining everyone's plans because he's not supposed to take this stupid option, and then he does.

Oh poo poo, Stanley is pretty much Aesma. (mythical figure from Kill Six Billion Demons who's never stops being a little poo poo which is also the source of her power.)

It's not a stupid option, though. The TV estimate of Gobwin Knob's treasury was considerably off.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Yeah when last there was an update, the treasury was 40 million (minus 0.5 million from Parson turning, I think) from all the dudes Charlie's side killed and had to pay reparations for.

http://archives.erfworld.com/Book+3/122

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Carrasco posted:

Let's dispel with the notion that Stanley doesn't know what he's doing
I think the thing with Stanley is that A) he's not very strategic, and B) he's impulsive and arrogant. He's not an idiot, but he's always been able to get what he wants by taking it. So the idea of other people being more capable than him is still foreign and uncomfortable for him. (He's getting better about that, though.)

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

team overhead smash posted:

Yeah when last there was an update, the treasury was 40 million (minus 0.5 million from Parson turning, I think) from all the dudes Charlie's side killed and had to pay reparations for.

http://archives.erfworld.com/Book+3/122

That's before any exchanges from the fight in the Magic Kingdom.

Edit:

Per http://archives.erfworld.com/Book+3/141 Stanley says they're at 30M

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Zogundar posted:

It's not a stupid option, though. The TV estimate of Gobwin Knob's treasury was considerably off.

Simple-minded would probably be a better description, but Stanley's on-the-spot acceptance of the first offer gives away A) Gobwin Knob is drastically richer than they estimated B) The hostages are worth so much that Stanley didn't even hesitate to pay an incredible fortune of 2 mil.

As a general rule its bad to give away free information like that, but these 2 things basically cratered moral at trasylvito. It showed them that they didn't even know the game that was being played, and also made Don out to be a complete fool, AND may even inspire a coup!

Meanwhile, Stanley knew the game from the word go: Parson and company are incredibly important so do whatever it takes to get them back. His stubborn, short-sighted arrogance is wielded like his hammer.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
It's also nice to see just how far Stanley has come since his days of resenting and being jealous of Parson. He may not understand or even like him, but he appreciates just how drat valuable Parson is.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

Simple-minded would probably be a better description, but Stanley's on-the-spot acceptance of the first offer gives away A) Gobwin Knob is drastically richer than they estimated B) The hostages are worth so much that Stanley didn't even hesitate to pay an incredible fortune of 2 mil.

As a general rule its bad to give away free information like that, but these 2 things basically cratered moral at trasylvito. It showed them that they didn't even know the game that was being played, and also made Don out to be a complete fool, AND may even inspire a coup!

Meanwhile, Stanley knew the game from the word go: Parson and company are incredibly important so do whatever it takes to get them back. His stubborn, short-sighted arrogance is wielded like his hammer.

Not that I think Stanley somehow thought it through like this, but taking what was intended to be a bankrupting offer immediately seems like an advantageous move. If he had been smart and tried to play it cool and drag out negotiations, TV could have learned of the ceasefire and the actual treasury of Gobwin Knob. The next meeting the ransom could have been raised to 30 million "for rudely dismissing our immensely generous and fair initial offer."

So basically, Stanley being Stanley and not a super genius was actually preferable in this instance.

kwokkie
Jan 19, 2011

Being a dumbass is the best form of defence.
It seems Stanley mellowed out a bit

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Don King is also the kind of person who is going to find it difficult to go back on an offer he willingly made in front of witnesses.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Don King is also the kind of person who is going to find it difficult to go back on an offer he willingly made in front of witnesses.

He may be literally incapable due to either natural signamancy or thinkamancy.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Rygar201 posted:

He may be literally incapable due to either natural signamancy or thinkamancy.

That's true, but what I mean is that it's going to be difficult for him even if he isn't. His whole cause is based around the idea that he's supposed to be the better man.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

That's true, but what I mean is that it's going to be difficult for him even if he isn't. His whole cause is based around the idea that he's supposed to be the better man.
And his fatal flaw is he actually isn't as confident in that as he claims to be, and Royalty is quickly becoming his crutch that holds him into the shape of a decent person. (Remember "dirty water in a cup"?)

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

well i mean they did get two million moneys out of this as well as potentially getting to keep the widgets parson brought with him, so it's not as though this whole situation has turned out badly for transylvito

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.

kwokkie posted:

It seems Stanley mellowed out a bit

He has been chilling out in his tropical hot tub drinkin' the finest spirits around in a sort of living tower, after all.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
I think the implication is that a contract was just formed since there is no real reason why an oral contract wouldn't be magically binding in the same way a written contract is. (Storywise immediately resolved negotiations remove the high possibility of a bidding war with Charlie which GK would lose, even if they won, since Charlie could easily bid it up to bankrupting numbers.) However if we want to get technical, and I know we do, from a legal perspective there are some issues. Namely, Stanley may have actually countered the offer by required delivery prior to payment. That would be a new material term, and not without potentially substantial cost to TV, which was not contained in the original offer. A countered offer is considered rejected in most cases and TV never accepted the new term. Stanley probably should have weaseled them to offer the same price terms and also delivery by feigning rage though that would have changed the "doesn't give a gently caress" character of the negotiation. Though maybe having Don just saying something cheeky about sending 'em back with a bow on top during his offer would have worked.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
So that was dark as gently caress. Poor Maggie. The connotations go places that I really wish they didn't.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ugh.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
For those confused: here

:stonk:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Lmao, people thought the Buffalo Bill caster wouldn't be creepy as gently caress.

Also, notice the references to Dollamancy and Thinkamancy and Strings.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fuuuuuuck that could be bad.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Rygar201 posted:

Lmao, people thought the Buffalo Bill caster wouldn't be creepy as gently caress.

Also, notice the references to Dollamancy and Thinkamancy and Strings.

People seriously thought that? After the whole "it puts the lotion on the skin" thing?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Kyte posted:

People seriously thought that? After the whole "it puts the lotion on the skin" thing?

That got played off as a joke. This successfully came across as creepy and horrifying as hell.

Very nicely put-together update.

Interesting that Wanda is so concerned about the bodies, also. I'm glad we might be seeing Marie again at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Reene posted:

That got played off as a joke. This successfully came across as creepy and horrifying as hell.

Played off as a joke? The gently caress? Dude if it's a joke it's of the dead baby kind. Dude was caught making some bizarre sex monster in a literal dungeon and literally nothing in the narration played it off as jovial or ironic or whatever.

Every single piece of description or character interaction regarding the dude has had people being uncomfortable about his presence and/or implying he was disturbed in some way.