Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Geostomp posted:

It guess he assumes that the youth will flee because employers will eliminate jobs since they can't keep paying their people so too little to live on. Because we're supposed to suck it up and be driven into massive debt to learn a lesson and bootstrap ourselves into better jobs that pay far more than this minimum. The same minimum that they were unwilling to pay us before.

In an ideal world, the "be happy with the crumbs we deign to give you because it could be worse" would be followed by "help help I'm on fire, where did all these torches come from, ow there's a pitchfork in my rear end."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

MariusLecter posted:

25 cent lemonade that is mostly high fructose corn syrup and tastes like rear end... or fresh lemons so that I can make my own with cane sugar and a touch of grapefruit juice.

gently caress the "free market"

Also his mother likely made the lemonade for him, the child basically took a bunch of preprocessed swill from dollar store mix bag swill and he is trying to overcharge you by the Dixie cup while the old man picked his own fruit, got his own clean bags and is upfront with how much everything costs. A local farmer versus "The Free Market" cartoon.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

quote:

Of course SOME updates really are better, ...like the new Dry Bones Passover Haggadah. Check it out by clicking HERE

Labels: Haggadah, Shuldig, Technology, Windows

Normally I omit Kirschen's shameless self-promotion but I love how he spins even his computer problems into BUY MY BOOK! BUY MY BOOK! :allears:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Remember that Card and Krueger literally wrote the paper on fast food restaurants affected by a raise in the minimum wage and found no effect on the jobs provided.

...in 1992.

And it's been a political football ever since!

I'm probably oversimplifying since I'm not a labor economist but I have never seen a convincing refutation of it.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Show me one example in the US, Branco. One loving example.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

colonel_korn posted:

6 Henry Payne is truly in touch with the mentality of today's youth

California jobs are going for as low as 15 dollars. The youth flee in terror from such insane bargains!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

D.N. Nation posted:

Show me one example in the US, Branco. One loving example.

Haven't the attacks in Europe been overwhelmingly homegrown too?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

loquacius posted:

Clay Bennett continues hot streak of nothing but excellent cartoons on the topic of Donald Trump's tiny hands

:drat:

Can we please, please stop declaring that Bennett is going to turn into Gorrell now?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

California jobs are going for as low as 15 dollars. The youth flee in terror from such insane bargains!

I'm Crazed Eddie and you won't find a job with better pay! I must be crazy to pay YOU, yes, YOU this much money!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

TheDarkFlame posted:

Can we please, please stop declaring that Bennett is going to turn into Gorrell now?

Also, when did Trump's stumpy little snausage fingers get meme'd as small hands?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Also, when did Trump's stumpy little snausage fingers get meme'd as small hands?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

fool_of_sound posted:

Haven't the attacks in Europe been overwhelmingly homegrown too?

Yep. Most, if not all of the dudes involved in the Paris attacks were born in France. The Canadian experience has been the same as well. I look at the issue this way: denying refugees a chance to flee the warzone ensures that in exchange for the relatively small number of possible deaths from terrorism in the West, we are guaranteeing that tens, if not hundreds of thousands will die of famine, disease and war. I'd rather not have that on my conscience, personally.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Also late Feb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnpO_RTSNmQ

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Women? In combat? With all their hormones and emotions and babies and such?

SOFREP posted:

Has the recent decision to allow women in combat roles and special operations created an unintentional animosity toward women in the military, not just toward those seeking those roles? The majority of women never asked to be in, nor do we want to be in, combat roles such as infantry or special operations. Yet now, because of the decision to push women into these roles, it almost feels as if we have to validate and defend ourselves for being in the military all over again.

Women in the military, just like men, want the best, most capable force possible, and lowering standards for combat arms and elite units will ultimately degrade them. “Should women be in combat roles and special operations?” is not really a simple yes or no type of question. Only a very small percentage of women will be able to physically and mentally meet the requirements of special operations. Women in infantry or other combat arms MOS will change the dynamics just as it did when women first entered the military. NCOs and company-grade officers will have to maintain physical standards and job performance, while senior NCOs and officers will have to push back against Washington and their drive for quotas and forced percentage-strength growth. If the focus is only on diversity and not upholding strict standards, our military strength and might will suffer.

Thank you, Mr White Male Reality.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

When we discovered that he's really loving insecure about them.

Graydon Carter in Vanity Fair posted:

Just to drive him a little bit crazy, I took to referring to him as a “short-fingered vulgarian” in the pages of Spy magazine. That was more than a quarter of a century ago. To this day, I receive the occasional envelope from Trump. There is always a photo of him—generally a tear sheet from a magazine. On all of them he has circled his hand in gold Sharpie in a valiant effort to highlight the length of his fingers. I almost feel sorry for the poor fellow because, to me, the fingers still look abnormally stubby. The most recent offering arrived earlier this year, before his decision to go after the Republican presidential nomination. Like the other packages, this one included a circled hand and the words, also written in gold Sharpie: “See, not so short!” I sent the picture back by return mail with a note attached, saying, “Actually, quite short.” Which I can only assume gave him fits.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Ardeem posted:

Also late Feb.

whooaa no way

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

colonel_korn posted:

6 Henry Payne is truly in touch with the mentality of today's youth

"Oh no! More money!"

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I think despite the SPY-citing going on, PK has a point -- Graydon Carter called Trump a "short-fingered vulgarian" not "baby hands man."

Short-fingered does not mean proportionally tiny hands. It's a big meaty palm with tater-tots attached.

(But I'm a Campbell Soup Kid-faced stupid newbie so what do I know.)

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

nobodyssweetheart posted:

I think despite the SPY-citing going on, PK has a point -- Graydon Carter called Trump a "short-fingered vulgarian" not "baby hands man."

Short-fingered does not mean proportionally tiny hands. It's a big meaty palm with tater-tots attached.

(But I'm a Campbell Soup Kid-faced stupid newbie so what do I know.)

Either way he goes loving ballistic if you bring it up, so everyone does all the time forever.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

the_steve posted:

Payne is saying the same thing all the Conservatives have been saying about increased minimum wage:
If you increase minimum wage, the job makers will hire less people.
"Gee, I would love to hire 15 of you for $2 an hour, but thanks to Big Government making minimum wage $15 an hour, I can only afford to hire 2 of you."

The youth fleeing the state is scratching out "wages" for "jobs" is saying that there are now only 15 jobs total available in the state, due to the decreased hiring.

It does baffle me that their voters can't take two minutes to realize that having a job that pays too little to live on is effectively worse than being unemployed as doing it only makes the employee lose money and become trapped in debt. Hiring more people for terrible wages benefits no one but the already rich employer.

I know that the average republican voter has been trained to avoid critical thinking, but you'd think people would at least recognize the situation that is costing them all their money no matter how hard they try to save. Is the appeal of "kids these days" and ego boost of being told what good little workers they are for not complaining is just that tempting?

Hitler B. Natural posted:

Either way he goes loving ballistic if you bring it up, so everyone does all the time forever.

The man really is an overgrown toddler.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Hitler B. Natural posted:

Women? In combat? With all their hormones and emotions and babies and such?

If women join the military, they'll take all the medals! That I should be earning! :mad:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Did you know women will probably stop mid fire-fight to change a tampon or file down a chipped nail? That could put fighting men's lives at risk!

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Hey, listen - women aren't as strong as men. Okay? Just facts. I ain't hating, I'm just saying the truth.

Whoa sweetie! Okay! Okay I see you can hoist a refueling hose alllllll by yourself it's *turns around and smirks at his senior NCO* it's okay. I get it. You're tough too.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
*full body slams self against doorway that says steady pay, free health care, free education* DO NOT ENTER, FAIR MAIDEN!!! FOR PAST THIS DOORWAY LAY DIFFICULT WORKE, AS SUCH MAY DIMINISH THE NATURAL BEAUTY THOU POSSESSETH SO EFFORTLESSLY

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

"Burden of proof for women in the military"

aha, see? You can't prove there are women in the military!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Bring back those suffaragette cartoonists to depict how terrible an all-woman combat unit would be, tia.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
That woman is giving it her all and proving she can handle everything thrown at her, and is proving she has what it takes to be in a combat role or special operations. It's a hard fight, and that pack is heavy indeed (that's an extra 170-odd pounds of Secretary Carter on her back) but she's continuing on because she has the determination and the will to make it though.

A great loving cartoon.:911:

Seriously, that is a look of pure determination on her face.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Stinky_Pete posted:

I didn't bother reading what he wrote but the cartoon seems sympathetic to what women in the military have to prove to be taken seriously? is that not the point?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Doc Hawkins posted:

Bring back those suffaragette cartoonists to depict how terrible an all-woman combat unit would be, tia.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Saint Sputnik posted:

I didn't bother reading what he wrote but the cartoon seems sympathetic to what women in the military have to prove to be taken seriously? is that not the point?

No, the point is some concern-trolling whine that all the attention women being in combat rolls has brought may make people question women being in the military at all, making life harder for all those women who stay in their place don't want to serve in combat rolls.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Stinky_Pete posted:

Don't ask, don't tell?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tom Mulcair is trying to convince the NDP not to sack him by shaving his beard and calling Donald Trump a fascist.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Payne just really, really likes drawing cars. Everything else, including the point, is secondary to him getting to draw a car.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

As bad as McKay is, it is weird seeing a party that lost an election as badly as the NDP did and didn't get rid of their leader ASAP.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cabinet posted:

As bad as McKay is, it is weird seeing a party that lost an election as badly as the NDP did and didn't get rid of their leader ASAP.

I still can't believe how badly they did. They started off so well too, there's no reason why they shouldn't have at least been opposition again :canada: :mad:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

lol

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Geostomp posted:

It does baffle me that their voters can't take two minutes to realize that having a job that pays too little to live on is effectively worse than being unemployed as doing it only makes the employee lose money and become trapped in debt. Hiring more people for terrible wages benefits no one but the already rich employer.

I know that the average republican voter has been trained to avoid critical thinking, but you'd think people would at least recognize the situation that is costing them all their money no matter how hard they try to save. Is the appeal of "kids these days" and ego boost of being told what good little workers they are for not complaining is just that tempting?

The biggest problem is, and it's been pointed out by much better speakers than me long before, is that they refuse to recognize that the times have changed.

For example: My uncle worked his way through law school by doing landscaping jobs.
In his mind, this is still a perfectly viable thing to do, you just have to be willing to do the work. He doesn't want to take into account the countless increased costs of everything, because then he has to admit that it isn't simply a problem caused by young folks being too lazy to walk to the Job Store and just grab one of the ones they're handing out.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

I still can't believe how badly they did. They started off so well too, there's no reason why they shouldn't have at least been opposition again :canada: :mad:

It's a huge shame. I'm glad Canadians (not me because I don't have voting rights yet as an immigrant) got Harper out, but I would have preferred a NDP in government or keeping strong. Preferably in opposition with the Liberals or having the Liberals in opposition.

Fingers crossed Trudeau removes FPTP and replaces it with STV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

• Locked thread